What's new

Scientology, "Disconnection," and Homophobia: Derek Bloch's Story

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/scientology_and_6.php

Thankyou Adam/Derek!
:thankyou:

So Derek hid his identity, writing a lengthy and emotional description of his life growing up a Scientology kid, and posted it in February at the Ex-Scientologist Message Board (ESMB), using the screen name "Adam7986" to disguise himself.

Someone reading ESMB, however, recognized the people in Derek's story and contacted the church, which excommunicated Derek for writing it. Derek's parents, in turn, "disconnected" from him immediately. In other words, they threw him out of their lives.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Yes, I'm very sorry that you had to go through all that pain and heartbreak but thank you for telling this story, Derek. I wish you all the best.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Derek posted here last March & I later learned from Tory, you had spent time with Derek, that he was the real deal.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?26525-How-To-Find-A-Partner&highlight=dating

I hope all the ex-Scios envelop him with lots of love & support. It is EXTREMELY difficult for a young, gay Scientologist, to find his way in the world after being disconnected by his family.

Given Derek's young age, and his attachment to his parents, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if OSA pulls another "Amy Harrison Allen" routine on him, which would be a disastrous decision on his part given the cult's homophobia.

FYI.. Derek's dad now works for Greenberg & Jackson. http://www.gnjcpas.com/contact.htm

Adam7986

Declared SP
Derek posted here last March & I later learned from Tory, you had spent time with Derek, that he was the real deal.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?26525-How-To-Find-A-Partner&highlight=dating

I hope all the ex-Scios envelop him with lots of love & support. It is EXTREMELY difficult for a young, gay Scientologist, to find his way in the world after being disconnected by his family.

Given Derek's young age, and his attachment to his parents, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if OSA pulls another "Amy Harrison Allen" routine on him, which would be a disastrous decision on his part given the cult's homophobia.

FYI.. Derek's dad now works for Greenberg & Jackson. http://www.gnjcpas.com/contact.htm

I am already disconnected from everyone I know that is a scientologist. So there's no more disconnection that can happen for me.

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
All the best to you Derek. I can see you are a strong and intelligent person. Of course, you will miss your family, despite what they did to you. I hope that your new friends and we here on ESMB can support you through whatever loss you feel in that regard, and whatever OSA throws at you. :heartflower:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I am already disconnected from everyone I know that is a scientologist. So there's no more disconnection that can happen for me.

My comments were addressed to those here that are aware of OSA recovery efforts, Derek. I doubt you are aware of what occurred with Amy & Kendra, who like yourself, spoke out.

Disconnection is not solely a Scientology term.

Hi Derek,
First off, I'm very sorry to hear that your parents have disconected from you due to the publishing of your story.
I was born in scientology at the base myself, so I can relate to some of the things you describe in your story - although I never joined the Sea Org, but like you I was also pressured to join. I am also not gay but my grandfather was, whom passed away last year in May and he was the best part of my life - I like to say he 'saved' me by guiding and teaching me the 'other side' of the world.
I have also gone through disconection - although only my ex 'friends' whom I grew up with and have know all my life. It was very painful to begin with. But I learned that these people were never my *real* friends so I have moved on from there, and am very much greatful for the non scientology friends that I have now. My life has only gotten better and easier since the disconection from everything that has to do with Scientology. It's a slow and long process but it is worth it, once you get on the other end of the continuum.
I went through 'identity' counseling with my counselor and it has helped me so much. I have gained a lot of inner strength, new recognitions, self value, self-esteem, meanings, and changed ways of thinking and most of all LOVE - love for myself and people - real love - not scientology 'love'. If you haven't looked into that yet and if you feel the need for it, it's really worth it and I can only strongly recommend it (couseling). It is def. better than any auditing I have ever received in scientology.:duh:
I too published my story here on ESMB but later deleted my story. The reason for that is that when I wrote my story, I was at the beg. stage of my crisis and felt that I wanted to write my story when I was fully de-programmed and out of my crisis- thus in a better state of mind and therefore could better reflect on the whole situation and maybe give a better description of my story...if that makes any sense. So I might post it at some point here on ESMB when I feel the time is right.
As for reading psycology and the death of your aunt that having a role in your decision to leave the COS. You know, it's funny...because that happened to me as well.
I am about half way through my education of becoming a registered nurse. Last May I started a module (around the period of my grandfather's death) which has sole focus on humanistic subjects, such as psycology, communication, pedagogy and (farmacology). I had to take a break from my education due to the death of my grandfather. I later started on the same module (some months ago) - but as I started to learn (like you) more about these humanistic subjects, something changed cognitive wise, and I began to open up to new perpectives and reflect on my own life, as one often does when studying humanistic subjects. I had to once again take another break from education as my mind became a total chaos - there was just too much that I had repressed that now I was fully aware of,and had to confront from my childhood in scientology. I am now back in education and the subjects have a whole new meaning and understanding due to my defection of scientology.
But not just that. As it had been almost a year since the passing of my grandfather I was also able to reflect on role and impact my grandfather had on me. He was not a scientologist. My father chose scientology over me and my mother left me when I was 10 with my brother to France - and everytime I would visit her she would treat me 'different' from my brother, because I was still in Scientology - not a very nice treatment. So my grandfather's death played a large role in me leaving scientology - I can only say that I think he would have been proud of me for doing so as that was his wish.
But it was a slow process and my nursing education all together played a large role in my decision to cut my ties with scientology - it just became more and more incongruent with the ideas of scientology and I began to slowly realise how destructive scientology in itself is.
Anyhow,thank you for sharing your story. If at any point you want to just talk, feel free to mail me.
I wish you the best of luck - you seem like a strong, independent and inteligent man.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I read your story in the VV Derek.

I am so glad you still have the love for your family.

The Cult of Scientology is so very dirty with human atrocities that the "Church of Scientology' should be broadly known as waging a war on human love.

Tom Cruise and John Travolta should be screaming in DM's face but I truly doubt they really care.

I hope your parents wake up and realize that protecting a dead man's ideas are not worth destroying a family.

If there is a God in this Scientology 'faith' it is a God of hate and destruction.

Stand bravely,

Derek, I honour your decisions and actions to live a life you choose.:happydance:

GoneBabyGone

Hello Derek,
I am new to this forum as well. :happydance: I read your story on VV and wrote a message there. I never knew this Forum was here until today, after reading about it on the VV. (Thanks to TO) I was really moved by your story. It can be very difficult to come out in a non-S family, let alone a Scientology family. I was in the C of S for 15 years and had two kids during that time. I always told my kids, I would love and accept them straight or gay - both are straight. I did not care what the C of S policies were. My ex-husband would always say, 'No kid of mine will be gay.' I used to hate the lectures about why I would even suggest anything like that on the kids (enturbulate), where homosexuals were on the tone scale, the aberrations, the auditing hours and the list goes on.
You are one step ahead of the game: You found yourself, you have set your career in motion and now you know you can find someone to love you as you are. Good luck to you and hopefully we can chat again. :coolwink:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
KnowledgeIsPower - I would just like to comment that writing your story as you feel about it now, rather than in the future, is a very powerful way to uncover the secret layers we need to become aware of. This happens during discussion of your story and it can certainly speed up the whole process. It doesn't matter that your views change as you go along, you can just add a comment to that effect. :)

Adam7986

Declared SP
So I Was Right About My Dad

” I realized that no one gave me an owners manual for my children when they were born. I was using the same methods my parents had used on me, knowing they had not completely worked for them either. After doing the parenting course at the church, I have some very sane methods to use now, and I have been very pleased with the results. None of my children are angels, not by a long shot, but we do have an open communication line, and they feel free to use it.”

I always felt like my dad surrendered me to scientology and stopped raising me. Interestingly, he apparently thought I was a new stereo and needed to be programmed correctly. I'm glad that one of the commenters on Tony's story found this.

Dad if you're reading this, you're such a prick. Stop being such a douchewad and get off your high horse already.

Alright everyone, now you know i'm legit. Have at it.

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: So I Was Right About My Dad

There is absolutely no reason to measure a persons worth based upon their sexual orientation. Congratulations on speaking out Derek. We are with you.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

” I realized that no one gave me an owners manual for my children when they were born. I was using the same methods my parents had used on me, knowing they had not completely worked for them either. After doing the parenting course at the church, I have some very sane methods to use now, and I have been very pleased with the results. None of my children are angels, not by a long shot, but we do have an open communication line, and they feel free to use it.”

I always felt like my dad surrendered me to scientology and stopped raising me. Interestingly, he apparently thought I was a new stereo and needed to be programmed correctly. I'm glad that one of the commenters on Tony's story found this.

Dad if you're reading this, you're such a prick. Stop being such a douchewad and get off your high horse already.

well said mate.

Smilla

Ordinary Human

Well said. You are yourself - it doesn't matter what others think about who you.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

You did a very brave thing Derek.

I’m sorry to hear that your father has behaved so badly, but his mind has been corrupted by his ‘church’. I hope that he comes to his senses soon and sees that loving his son for who he is, is more important than following the insane programming of a cult.

Axiom142

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Derek,
Thank you SO very much for telling your story! I can't say it enough:
You have NO idea how many people you *may* have helped by doing so.

One Sea Org member just PM'd me, tonight (not here) and is leaving.
They didn't say it was because of you----but you know how that goes,
or maybe you don't. What I've observed is as each person leaves, and
especially as people speak out-----more and more and MOAR people
leave, too.

I doubt your Dad will read this, but just in case he does, or someone ..some how shows him this, here is my message to your Dad:
I'm so very sorry your "church" has failed you---but they have.
You can learn more about that, later. Right now you have one thing
in the world that NO ONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD HAS:
YOUR *****SON***** your blessed Son, Derek.
Please don't make the mistake WAY too many parents have made,
and lose THE most precious connection you have, due to some mafia-like
organization, pretending to be a "Church". I'm so proud of your son...you have
no idea the courage it takes to do what he's done. I pray you WTFU.

Derek: Congratulations to you, my friend! :congratulations: :woohoo: :cheers:

Please do call me and let's do lunch or dinner :biggrin:

Best! :rose:

Tory/Magoo