Scientology IAS membership reduced from $500 to $250 per year

Discussion in 'Breaking and Major News about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Oct 30, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Albion

Albion Patron with Honors

Some of you may be aware that I'm writing a series looking at Scientology's membership claims. The next one will look at IAS membership, which appears to be one of the better ways of getting at the real numbers. So, a request to former members:

Can any of you remember your IAS card number and when you received it?

Can you tell me why you bought it and how much you paid?

And finally -- bonus points here -- if you still have it, could you scan/photograph and post it here?

If I get enough I might try to build an article/ graph around it.

Thanks, jj

2. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

Sorry, but the information you're asking for here sounds a bit too specific, as in identifying ex members.

I think there would be quite a few people here who would be hesitant in providing it.

I hope you understand the concern.

3. Albion

Absolutely, TF: this would really only be for those members comfortable with identifying themselves as out.

4. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

The IAS didn't exist until 1984. Some of us never had an IAS number.

5. Albion

That's true. It was HASI before that, yes?

I'm thinking though, that anyone still in from 84 on would have come under tremendous pressure to sign up to the new organisation.

6. JackStraw

JackStraw Silver Meritorious Patron

I have a "Founding Member" Lifetime Membership IAS card dated Aug 1986. It has a 16 digit number formatted xxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx.
    I have no idea what info is embedded in that number.
    I won't be more specific than that. :hide:

Jack

7. pineapple

Yes, it was HASI before that, but unlike IAS, membership in HASI was not compulsory. Yeah, anyone still in would have come under tremendous pressure. But some of us had already decided we'd had enough.:byefly:

8. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Patron Meritorious

In fact, a dead dog is better than a living lion.

9. JackStraw

Seems ol' Ronny didn't have his marketing quite worked out back in the HASI days.

I was bragging to an old-timer I knew back in the early '80s, showing him my new Lifetime membership card. He smiled politely and showed me his HASI Permanent membership! His didn't expire when he did. :whistling:

Jsck

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. pineapple

I'm surprised to see that it says in this brief wikipedia article that HASI membership was a requirement to take scn services. I don't remember it that way. I was in scn for about 7 years, 1975-1981, and I don't recall ever joining. Of course it's possible the annual membership was so low it was no big deal and that's why I don't remember. (It would have had to be very low for that to happen, as I was living at the poverty level at the time.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubbard_Association_of_Scientologists_International

It's also possible staff automatically became members. I was on staff almost the whole time I was in.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. Albion

Just published: the latest in the Counting the Scientologists series: IAS membership. Includes a rarely seen document revealing 1987 membership numbers (courtesy of Jon Atack).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  12. JackStraw

I got started in scn in the late '70s. I certainly recall reading about HASI in HCOBs & PLs, but no one ever mentioned it as a current "thing." I concluded that the HASI was a thing of the past. A few years later the IAS began and "membership" was again a "thing."

Jack

13. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

Well...IAS memberships worked like this.

1) You didn't have to have one.

2) First timers got a free 6 month membership.

3) It gave a percentage off on all services and donations and books and materials so your Bridge was cheaper...something like 10%.

4) Annuals were like $250 and Lifetimes were like $500. You either spent $250/year after the freebie or a one-time $500. (I can't remember the actual $ amount.)

I'm sure it's all changed by now.

14. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

Yes. It was not voluntary or optional. You HAD TO be a member of IAS to be considered to be in good standing. Refusal to become a member would be seen as a huge red flag, prompting "Ethics" investigation into WHY you were refusing.

At one point, I had gotten my newborn kid a yearly IAS membership (my wife and I had lifetime memberships). The following year we were having tight finances and I didn't renew the kid's membership. I got a really nasty letter, addressed to the baby, about how "out-ethics" kid was to not renew.

ADDING: Clarification: Did you have the technical right to not join the IAS? Yes. Could you decide to not join and not get a lot of shit over that decision? No, at least not in any org I was in.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  15. pineapple

I remember HASI membership being offered as an option, at least when I first started in 1975. When someone bought a book or a service, they were asked if they'd like to join HASI for the 10% discount. There was certainly no pressure to do it, though. It was kind of like after you buy something today, how you might be asked if you want to sign up for the warranty. Maybe some joined; I'm sure I never did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  16. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

True. You HAVE to be a member to get services.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Enthetan

I had forgotten about that until you reminded me.

So the number of IAS members equals the number of Scientologists eligible to get services.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  18. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

That changed sometime under Miscavige, right?

At some point membership wasn't mandatory or am I wrong?

19. Enthetan

I seem to remember it being voluntary-but-expected at the beginning.

20. Leland

Leland Crusader

I had a HASI....lifetime was $25. If I remember correctly. One got a card and a little gold colored pin. ( 1972 )

When this membership was disregarded and became unacceptable, I should have recognized this as a typical cult move to alter agreements as it does so often.

I never liked the move to IAS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List