Scientology Santa Barbara closes it's doors...

Discussion in 'North America' started by Smurf, Apr 15, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. CaliMule

CaliMule Work Hard and Bray

Sorry, didn't see your question at first.

"Display of wealth, power, and privilege interpreted as showing that one is favored by God and therefore among His elect" is sometimes referred to as an attribute of Calvinism. Calvinist dispute this, typically with debatable success, but then anti-Calvinists have debatable success in slandering Calvinists with this allegation too.

The whole televangelist wearing a $10,000 gold watch and driving an expensive car, etc., is an excellent example of what is meant by the phrase. By displaying this wealth the suggestion is made that God favors the person displaying it. That's the essence of the concept. It is actually a critique of the way certain Calvinist congregation members have behaved historically rather than a reflection of the theology of Calvin.

2. PirateAndBum

PirateAndBum Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for the explanation :)

It is quite fitting for the idle org project.

It used to be you were always cringing at what a shit-hole your org was. But I'm pretty sure those marble ideal bathrooms still don't have any freekin' toilet paper - LOL

3. Karakorum

Karakorum supressively reasonable

Seems we have been parts of different churches. Or maybe it was really like that back in your day (or your region).

In my day, scientology absolutely hated idea seekers. The overwhelming mindset was: "read the book, if you don't agree read again and find the MU becuase the book is always right."

I met few people who were less open to new ideas, than scientologists.