Scientology - This Lifetime because...?

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by JBWriter, Apr 15, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Would someone be able to point me to a thread/post/site that describes why the stated goals/aims of scientology* are to be completed in this lifetime?

(*Whether as stated by hubbard or miscavige.)

Thanks,

JB.

2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

That's only considered important if you still have some money this lifetime to give them. Otherwise, just go off and die! :biggrin:

Helena

3. In all my time in Scientology I never thought that the goals were expected to occur this lifetime.

The Anabaptist Jacques

4. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Thanks, TAJ.

During that time, did you think that way because of a privately-held doubt or did the information provided lead you to think/expect the goals would be achieved at a date beyond your current lifetime's natural end?

JB.

5. It was not a doubt, it was a realization of the magnitude of what it would take.

I don't think anyone else thought it was achievable in our lifetime either.

At least, I never heard anyone express that.

The Anabaptist Jacques

6. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Thanks again, TAJ. Would it be correct to infer that something akin to the 'pioneer spirit' is shared by/among members when faced with the enormity of the stated goals/aims? Or is it something each individual thought/felt, but didn't discuss freely due to the 'don't discuss case' concept?

Also, would anyone be able to point me to a thread/post/site that shows the stated aims/goals of scientology are to be expected in a future lifetime?

JB.

7. Infinite

Infinite Crusader

Part of the answer lies in L Ron Hubbard's "Hill 10" milieu control technique. A "Hill 10" is an urgent situation that needs to be fixed now, now now. For those on staff, there are constant "Hill 10s" and, for the public, an endless stream of urgent situations which must be addressed immediately. This deliberate tactic results in a feeling of always being in a rush which, in combination with the other control techniques, is designed to prevent a person from sitting back and taking a long, hard look at what is really going on and measuring the results of what's actually been achieved. Of course, nothing has been achieved and the only thing going on is the "clearing" of "bank" accounts. Even when a person reaches the imaginary state of Clear, they enter the "Non-Interference Zone" where the rush becomes moving onto OTIII before their chance at eternity becomes corrupted.

The urgency aspect of milieu control was implemented by L Ron Hubbard gradiently and can be traced back to some of his early writings, particularly his dire warnings of an impending nuclear holocaust. " . . . we have five years left, at best . . . " etc etc. And then there's . . .

. . . and there's plenty more similar quotes peppered throughout Scientology Scripture.

As Margery Wakefield puts it " . . . In Scientology, the prevailing emotion is a sense of urgency and of fear. Scientologists at work do not walk, they run. Everything is deadly serious and urgent. The world is at stake. Each small victory has added significance. Scientology is a group at war, and this mentality lends fervor, enthusiasm and a sense of danger to each activity . . . "

I can't find any specific threads in relation to your specific question, but there is this one where people are taking the piss, which is fun but not very helpful in answering your quesiton. The on-board search function isn't that wonderful, you might be best to search from Google for words/phrases which match your query and use the "site" parameter to loop back onto ESMB.

8. The goals of Scientology I am referring to is "a world without war, crime, and insanity."

The pioneering spirit was certainly present. I am talking about FCDC in the early 1970s.

This was during the Cold War and we never thought we would Scientology behind the Iron Curtain in our lifetime.

If I recall correctly we thought the Muslim world would be easy to convert to Scientology.

The Anabaptist Jacques

9. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

As ever, Infinite, thank you for such terrific information.

I've searched here and on a number of other sites for a specific reference and will admit to honest feelings of failure at having had to post the question in the first place. Your post is an excellent example of what I was able to find in abundance - that "Hill-10" mindset certainly does appear to be pervasive, whether in narrative accounts from the 50's or current email requests for 'all hands' to fund this/build that or printed materials (posters, booklets, etc).

It just seemed to me that with so many loyal adherents to the "tech" there simply had to be a bulletin, book, lecture, policy letter, or other source that gave a timetable of sorts. I'll keep looking - because I'm stubborn, lol, but do appreciate the help.

Thanks,

JB.

10. I don't think there would have been any published timetable.

That would only serve to allow people to see for themselves that the Church wasn't getting anywhere.

The Anabaptist Jacques

11. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Wow - (re: bolded in red) that's an eye-opener for me!

Thank you.

JB.

12. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Well, if there is a timetable or similar, I haven't found it. (Cranky JB is decidedly not my best look. :grouch:)

And yes, I see your point, but scientology then and now consistently provides 'upstats' in everything attempted, so I can't yet agree such a timetable or similar doesn't exist for that reason.

JB.

13. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Just as an aside; I once wrote to Ron on the SO#1 Line regarding this. I think I've told the story before but just for those who missed it...

When I first came into scientology there were posters in various locations around Saint Hill reading "A Clear Planet in 1974!"

This was followed, of course, by "A Clear Planet in '75!" then, inevitably. "Blah blah blah 1976... 1977....1978" etc.

After a few years of seeing this I had a sense of frustration about it all and "wrote to Ron" asking about it. I received a reply addressing the question I'd asked. I'd told him of my confusion about the "goal" as outlined in these posters and general scientology PR and asked him what EXACTLY was his postulate regarding "A Clear Planet".

He (or whichever lackey concocted the reply) responded; "My EXACT postulate regarding this is; A Clear Planet will come about!" (I think that was the exact wording but, if not, it was words to that effect.)

As a True Believer, I thought that answer to my question was quite sufficient; no *time* entered into the postulate at all and that answer, somehow, satisfied me as to the idea that everything was on track.

I still have that "Letter from Ron" somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and scan it for your amusement. :)

14. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

How'd I miss that story?! Thanks for posting it again, Panda.

You needn't search for the letter - I believe you :yes: and your time's best spent doing something fun. :thumbsup:

JB.

15. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

Like so much of what Hubbard said and wrote, the apparent aim was to cause ACTIVE CONTRIBUTIONS of your time, energy and money. NOW!

The subject materials of Scientology are strewn with an extreme sense of urgency, designed to get the participant to WORK VERY HARD at "getting the job done NOW"!

Here is a perfect example, and it very much implies that the job MUST be done "this lifetime" (or else):

Five Years

Attached Files:

16. In present time

In present time Gold Meritorious Patron

i had fifty or so letters from "ron" myself. i am not sure if i threw them out or not. Anyway, I was looking for them the other day when instead I came across some nasty ethics hearing paperwork, lol. Be careful when you go digging in those old files.

17. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Agreed - that 'keep scientologists working' strategy/tactic is a particularly insidious one and I don't believe anyone who learns of it would find it beneficial for anyone but upper management - more specifically, hubbard and/or miscavige. How can anyone take a moment to think for themselves - or about themselves and their own circumstances - when rushing about doing-doing-doing.

It's just that I thought there must be something somewhere that gave guidance about when a particular goal was to be met/achieved. Even, perhaps, wrapped around another policy -- something like, 'we have to do x before we can begin to tackle y'. Haven't found anything yet - but I'm still looking and do appreciate everyone's help.

JB.

18. This is NOT OK !!!!

This is NOT OK !!!! Gold Meritorious Patron

When I was running The Way to Happiness Foundation it was VITAL that we blast out the booklet as far and as fast as possible. After all, in his "advices" for TWTH LRH stated that "like a gentle oil spread across the raging seas, the calm will ripple outward and outward". Therefore, we had to calm the seas NOW, so the tech could go in THEN. We were making time for the orgs so they could get ethics "in" in this sector of the universe and when that was done, it was time to follow Ron to Target 2.

I figured out that perhaps as many as a billion copies of Mao's Little Red Book had been passed out, so I figured the ultimate EP of the whole campaign would be for TWTH to be the most widely distributed book in history. I used to commingle my own fantasy with one of LRH's - the one He told of the first hardcover copy of DMSMH coming off the press right after the last copy of a Psych textbook. My fantasy was that I would be standing at the end of the press and watch the last Little Red Book pass by, closely followed by the first copy of TWTH. Of course, I would send it to Ron as a memento.

That kept me going for a long, long time and I hung up the spurs after we got over 50 million copies out.

I thought it had been a good start to the effort.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  19. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

LRH died before reaching his goals for the planet.

CBR took over after him, developed additional tech, and gave those who were disaffected yet still reaching a place to go.

Then CBR too died. Now others have taken over after him.

So no, it is taking more than one lifetime, whether you think those are worthy goals or not.

Helena

20. Loohan

Loohan Am I Mettaya?

Funny.... If you ever read "wog" metaphysical stuff about positive visualization, etc. they usually emphasize that one should NOT imagine a goal as coming about in the future. Instead you visualize those gold ingots or whatever as being in your possession RIGHT NOW.

Likewise, if i recall, LRH, perhaps in the PDC tapes, says the same thing. I think he even picks apart the common "Every day in every way, i am getting better and better" because it puts stuff on a future track which supposedly does not work as well as postulating the results as already having happened in the now.