Scientology TV goes live tomorrow at 8 pm Eastern on app, DirecTV

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by RSS Feed, Mar 11, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

. . .
    Too soon?* :shrug:

While cooking dinner tonight, a question percolated up. If this TV network experiment
    doesn't work out, and my money is on it not working out, how can DM possibly exit
    the market gracefully? Especially after buying a whole studio and sinking so much
    money into video production. I mean the cost of this whole "top-down marketing"
    pilot project must be astronomical. And if he goes month after month without a
    return on investment -- likely -- how does he face the whales and parishioners who
    funded it all with their hard-earned dollars?

The whole project seems like a Hail Mary pass . . . since nothing else has worked or
    is working. With ongoing, recurring monthly costs, you can't go on faking it month
    after month. If this doesn't work, how will he exit gracefully? What next then? **

To me it seems like this could turn out to be his Bernie Madoff moment. Your current
    pool of investors stops funding you and you can get in trouble fast. Like Madoff did.
    His house of cards fell pretty quickly once the Ponzi scheme stopped self-funding
    via current investors and began to unravel in an uncontrollable way. (I watched
    the movie, LOL!)

The other side of the coin is that this TV experiment surprises everyone and booms
    the COS. Unlikely, IMO, but could happen. (Albeit a 90-yard Hail Mary pass.)

* A phrase used by comics after touching on topics
    that are still too sensitive for people to laugh about.

** A group of Sea Org executives could be trained
    up to join Elon Musk's first expeditionary space
    flights to Mars next year. It would be a risky mission
    but imagine being on the vanguard of setting up
    the first remote SO bases on another planet. Could
    generate tens of millions in donations. Woo-hoo!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  2. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

(That's U.S. football lingo.)
    Yes, I agree!
  3. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

People have changed a lot in the last 20/30 years and gullible people (with or without money) are not that easy to find. We (critics in general) have put a lot of stuff out there for public viewing ... by doing this miscavige is virtually directing the public towards us so they can find out about the cofs from the people who really know the score.

I don't believe for a single, solitary moment that it will be a success ... I'm stunned and delighted that he actually went ahead and did it but about the only "win" miscavige will get is spinning/lying/announcing at the next event (with excessive, irritating fanfare) that (as Mike Rinder put it) "since we went to air three people every second are viewing" (or similar).

It looks to me as if that tight little bubble that miscavige lives in has finally cut his oxygen off and given him serious brain damage.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. lotus

lotus autonomous rebellous

I just did a spot check on newspaper articles about $cientology TV

Here is the\worlds
    And a few quotes:

The ''M'' word again :oops:

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. lotus

lotus autonomous rebellous

6. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

What a great thread this is; thoughtful, true, hysterically funny, and brilliantly creative...all qualities that Scientologists aspire to possess .
    Yet I expect that Scientology TV will, like Scientology itself, fall prey to the law of unintended consequences, becoming hugely successful as a source for mockery, ridicule, and endless puncturing of Miscavige's towering pomposity and overbearing megalomania.
    But I digress...I'm just so happy that Don Hubbard is getting back on his feet again.
    That Guk bomb works every time!
  7. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

QUESTION: "If this doesn't work, how will he exit gracefully? What next then?"

ANSWER: The next big thing.

CLARIFICATION: That's all Scientology is, a 7 decade succession of the next big thing--that solves that failures of all the previous big things that purportedly handled all beings on this planet. Big things are always breathtaking breakthroughs that blow your bank, BTs and bank account.

It's Scientology, nothing ever works. So the solution since day one (and Book 1) has always been precisely the same. Promise something even bigger and more supernaturally amazing.

"The Next Big Thing" works because Scientologists compulsively AGREE with everything and everyone above them on the command channel or grade chart. The aura of mystery is so intentionally & pervasively thick throughout all of Scientology, that Scientologists really believe that SOMEONE ELSE knows the secret to happiness, freedom and immortality.

Scientology cultivates mystery. Mystery sandwich, right? They promote mystery and create mystery, whilst pretending they are bestowing knowingness.

Last time I did a clay demo, it seemed that KNOWINGNESS and MYSTERY were on opposite sides of the scale.
  8. ILove2Lurk

. . .
    "They'll believe anything won't they? It's pretty obvious. They'll all believe what we
    tell them to believe. We learned that a long time ago. It's the most workable thing
    about Scientology after all."

Marty Rathbun
    From the Cutting Room Floor *

* Excerpt from a parody post
  9. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

I just watched a few minutes of it on youtube. All those happy smiling beautiful people - they can't all be lying can they? Well, yes they can.

I stopped watching when one beautiful young woman said: "I often bring my non-scientologist friends to the church for a coffee and to chill out" or some such BS. Anyone who has been in scientology can tell you what would happen if you brought someone into one of their buildings. The person would be jumped on by reges and when they eventually managed to get out they would resolve never to go back there again. That's the truth about scientology.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

That perfectly exemplifies the cult's BAIT & SWITCH marketing.

Another example of how "ethical" Scientologists dispose of the truth without sorrow is the promo photos of Flag's fun-loving, F/Ning FCCIs frolicking in the pool. Despite never having attained Clear, I recall clearly when NOTS first came out that dozens of people on the lineup (waiting for session) hung out talking, laughing, getting dark suntans and playing in the pool all day! It was like Scientology Spring Break! LOL. (Think Pre-OTs Gone Wild).

Then, suddenly, an army of clipboard wielding fanatics descended on the partying "paying public" Pre-OTs, giving them very strident commands to get on course and stop wasting precious time having fun. This word may have been mentioned......dilettante, LOL.

All Pre-OTs were literally forced to clear out from the grounds/pool where they had been having the time of the life every day all summer. It was "out-ethics" to be playing in the pool when there was only a slim sliver of time to save the planet, mankind and the universe. Daring to play in the pool was a "deadly serious activity" that not only was met with scowling lectures--it was PUNISHABLE by even nastier MMAs if you didn't comply.

It bears mentioning that Scn. International Headquarters ("Gold") always depicts their swimming pool too in promos, brochures and glamorous fly-over videos. Amazing resort, right? LOL. Except the hundreds of Sea Org slaves were forbidden from using the pool.

They were, however, "encouraged" to use the lake---when ordered to clean out its murky, putrid, fecal-infected water without Hazmat suits. No exaggeration, that happened.

Back to your excellent post, the entire idea of "I often bring my non-scientologist friends to the church for a coffee and to chill out" is such a ludicrous "BIG LIE", it's right up there with Tommy Davis going on national TV and staring into the camera with total certainty, claiming "there is no such thing as disconnection...." in Scientology.

Scientology is essentially the modern science of mental masturbation. They lie to their members. Lie to the media. And lie to themselves. All that while they orgasmically smirk and tell you about their huge wins.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  11. TrevAnon

TrevAnon Big List researcher

I'm sure Don sued the church with a very good lawyer for that chain locker thing.

The church didn't want a verdict that they were guilty and when it became clear they were horribly losing it, they reached out to Don himself (not his lawyer) and convinced him to fire his lawyer without cause and make the case go away in exchange for a nice amount of money.

Of course Don every once in a while now has to look angry at some scientology ex and/or critic. Part of the deal.

Nothing new here, I've seen it happen before... :p

On the positive side though this means you'll get your money back! :D
  12. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

Helluva, your scenario was a work of art! I was line charging my ass off. The funny and at the same time sad thing about it is it's spot on true! Large parts of it were exactly what I experienced in my 9 year cult sentence.
  13. renegade

renegade Silver Meritorious Patron
  14. TomKat

TomKat Patron

To be a good Scientologist is to be a compulsive liar. I frequently lied to family and friends to put Scn in a good light. I noticed that the LA Org (attached to ASHO) in the 80s used to say (maybe still does): "Dianetics Research Foundation." The only thing they researched was how to separate people from their money. :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  15. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

16. Tanchi

Tanchi Patron with Honors

17. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

I remember when someone who'd been working hard on exposing the cult said to me about 6 years ago that "we'd" smashed the cult's brand here in Oz after several big wins. At the time I wasn't so sure but when you see stuff like "Tonightly" and the Current Affair segment I appeared in earlier in the week, the cult really gets no sympathy here in Oz on any level.

ANYTHING that the cult does is jumped all over by the local media these days - with steel-capped boots.:biggrin:

And, funnily enough, there's no comeback from OSA ANZO personnel appearing to "refute" stuff.:bigcry:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • For you For you x 1
    • List
  18. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

"While cooking dinner tonight, a question percolated up. If this TV network experiment
    doesn't work out, and my money is on it not working out, how can DM possibly exit
    the market gracefully? Especially after buying a whole studio and sinking so much
    money into video production. I mean the cost of this whole "top-down marketing"
    pilot project must be astronomical. And if he goes month after month without a
    return on investment -- likely -- how does he face the whales and parishioners who
    funded it all with their hard-earned dollars?"

L2L - if it only costs $4 mil a year (which I read some where) and the cos is sitting on, what, 3 billion? I think he can keep it up for years.

My question is this in all direct tv markets? Or only a few key ones, such as the cities with big orgs? If the latter, which makes a lot of sense, the economics are better - your $ is going towards specific whale populations and will get them to fork over more IAS moola. I think that is the real purpose: whale-bait.

There was something about an Scio TV app for your cell phone - that would be something they could tie to the channel 320 but be in house for next to nothing. They could phase over to that as an exit possibility.

But really - what does he care if it looses money? How many ideal orgs are operating at a loss? What about the freewinds? Doesn't that also run at a loss? So why should STV be any different? As long as the illusion is that it is on line and wildly raising stats, as long as he can post STV fake graphs at events, and the whales pony up the donos - it has done it's job.

Tony recently made a big to-do about the tailored suits and the $18K watch that his cobness wears. You saw how spiffy he looked in the introductory video on STV. If you want to fit in with the rich crowd (your garden variety whales) you should dress the part. Same with the posh ideal orgs.

That is your answer to how long can he keep it up? As long as he can keep them forking over their millions. He could give a shit about our chump change. Never trust a Sicilian when money is on the line.- Vizinni

BTW - $18 K for a watch isn't all that much. There are plenty that cost much, much more, such as the tourbillion which can run around half a million. Check out the magazine below - the editor is a scio I met at flag while on the Purif there - he sports a $5k watch, and told me about how putting on a $350 K watch felt - rather scary due to worry if anything should happen to it. Check out the sapphire Richard Mille watch in the link below - only $2.02 million

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  19. ILove2Lurk

If it's $4 million a year -- that simply doesn't sound right. We're talking a nationwide network 24/7 via satellite. Doesn't compute for me. That would be the bargain of a century, IMO, as far as an advertising program goes.

I think Karen's number sounds more real and that would calculate out as $48 million a year. More plausible and still a deal.

But, you're right, invested correctly, the cash portion of the $3 billion could return up to a couple hundred million each year. (Under a Trump economy.) :bwahaha:

See the speculation earlier on the thread: TV Answer Man
    You'll have to check with people smarter than me. :shrug:
  20. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

In an idle moment I watched some more of Scientology TV on youtube. They were advertising free on-line courses such as "Honesty and Integrity" and "Ethics and the Conditions".

Free? Yeah, you get the course free but they get your contact details and they'll be contacting you regularly for the rest of your life. If you move house they'll track you down. If you skip the country they'll still find you.

Signing up for one of these courses is like inviting a psycho to be your friend.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List