What's new

Scientology Wedding Ceremony

dr3k

Patron with Honors
...a nimrod on digg.com decided to digg the fact that there is a Scientology wedding ceremony and how it's super dooper awesome. I read his link and came to the conclusion he had NO IDEA what a Scientology wedding ceremony was because all it talked about was love, peace and rubbish. I asked my ex-wife SeaOrgSlut about it and and she just shrugged and said "they has ceremonies fer weddings?"

So, can someone explain to me how a COS wedding is different than Jewish/Catholic/Mormon ceremonies? Do they have have a 21 laser salute? Does Xenu do it personally?

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
So, can someone explain to me how a COS wedding is different than Jewish/Catholic/Mormon ceremonies? Do they have have a 21 laser salute? Does Xenu do it personally?

Now you're being ridiculous. Concentrate on something useful.

Nick

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I had a Scientology wedding.

There is a Book Of Ceremonies that I think was written when it was turned into a "religion".

The only thing I can really remember is the reference to a wedding ring being sort of the eternal circle of love (ARC). And some instructions not to sleep on upsets or something. Sorry, it was a loooooong time ago.

The ceremony is written so that it seems like a religious one, similar to the funeral ceremony etc.

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
...a nimrod on digg.com decided to digg the fact that there is a Scientology wedding ceremony and how it's super dooper awesome. I read his link and came to the conclusion he had NO IDEA what a Scientology wedding ceremony was because all it talked about was love, peace and rubbish. I asked my ex-wife SeaOrgSlut about it and and she just shrugged and said "they has ceremonies fer weddings?"

All I remember is that the ring was symbolic as an eternal union because it was a circle, and we promised to never go to sleep while we had an ARC break.

Terril park

Sponsor
Now you're being ridiculous. Concentrate on something useful.

Nick

He has though opened a pandora's box of ironies.

“This relationship is the vessel wherein is nurtured the life force of both individuals, whereby they create the future of the race in body and thought.”
—L. Ron Hubbard - Science of Survival

Kids are no longer allowed in the SO. I believe its now the same with marriage. Forced/or encouraged abortions are the norm in the SO.

The definition of the second dynamic has been altered from sex and kids to
" Creativity."

From the COS website re Marriage:-

"In a Scientology wedding, the rings are spoken of as symbols of permanency. They are a reminder to the bride and groom to continue creating the love and understanding they have for one another in order to maintain a successful relationship."

SO marriages are basically serial monogamy from many of those who
have commented on this.

"Marriage is the foundation of the family unit. In this society and time, the family is the closest knit, self-perpetuating, self-protecting unit. It is necessary economically and otherwise to the society the way it is set up in present time. A culture will go by the boards if its basic building block, the family, is removed as a valid building block. So one can be fairly sure that he who destroys marriage destroys the civilization."

Miscavige definitely destroys marriage in the SO.

"As a matter of fact, one of the reasons a child gets himself injured is to make his parents realize they have responsibilities for the family. Childhood illness and all this sort of thing occur directly after familial upsets."

To see the scale of the irony here,

Go see www.scientologykids.com.

The COS official website on marriage :-

http://www.scientologywedding.org/marriage-in-scientology.html

A little bird told me that " Seaorgslut" didn't know there was such a thing as a scientology wedding ceremony. She thought that people went to the CO and he married them. In some countries a ships captain may legally perform marriages. Not sure how this works with an SO CO.

However it seems that Scn marriage ceremonies do not get performed in the SO.

Good twin

Floater
I performed several marriage ceremonies, funerals, and christenings/naming ceremonies while a minister in Scientology. The funerals actually are very good. The congregations of the funerals that I performed really experienced relief. Two that I did were done to Non Scientology groups and were very well received.
GT

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
I only performed one wedding ceremony as a Minister of the Church.

The wedding was between two people from another org that really liked me and asked me to do it. I completed the Minister's Course specifically to perform the ceremony.

1/2 the people there were Scientologists. 1/2 the people there were Catholics.

The catholics made a special point of coming up to me and telling me how much they enjoyed the ceremony.

As a funny side story:

I was standing out in front of the house afterwords talking with some of the grooms family (the catholics). One of the brothers asked me, "Do you want a beer?" And then he apoligized because he didn't know if I could drink alchohol. I told him I would love a beer. The grooms sister admonished him saying "We're catholics. Of course the minister can drink."

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had a Scientology wedding.

There is a Book Of Ceremonies that I think was written when it was turned into a "religion".

The only thing I can really remember is the reference to a wedding ring being sort of the eternal circle of love (ARC). And some instructions not to sleep on upsets or something. Sorry, it was a loooooong time ago.

The ceremony is written so that it seems like a religious one, similar to the funeral ceremony etc.

Ditto. It really left an impression on us huh?

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
My husband and I took the Ceremonies book and wrote our own ceremony using different parts from different services. It was great. We didn't use the Scn language, but we used some parts of it.

WrongPlaceRightTime

Patron Meritorious
Lrnobs said, "All I remember is that the ring was symbolic as an eternal union because it was a circle, and we promised to never go to sleep while we had an ARC break "

That. is. hilarious.

My parents were married at the church in D.C. They had a nice ceremony in the courtyard followed by a reception in the large course room. My father's sister tells me how she was so antagonized at the reception because the students who were getting off course had crashed the reception and... "They were in there eating all of the food and they didn't even know who your parents were!"

The funeral service was very uptone. We were invited to tell happy memories of John (padre) and the minister's speech was nice; I remember something like "children would not have lived without you... and a very speedy return"

Escalus

Patron Meritorious
My parents were married at the church in D.C. They had a nice ceremony in the courtyard followed by a reception in the large course room. My father's sister tells me how she was so antagonized at the reception because the students who were getting off course had crashed the reception and... "They were in there eating all of the food and they didn't even know who your parents were!"

Courtyard or on a patio on one of the rooftops? What year was that? I attended a Scientology wedding in DC once. Something about a comb or something...

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
I conducted $cn weddings, I also received one. :ohmy:

Two points to consider; :melodramatic:

The shortest sentence there is; I AM :yes:

The longest sentence is; I DO :omg: :omg: :omg:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I attended the Boucher wedding and a few others held at DC Org. John was in the TTC (Technical Training Corp) at the time and Cathy was also on staff. Regardless of the denomination, sect, or what have you, these ceremonies transcend words and definitely mean something to the people involved. When you are on staff, the time allowed for a gathering like this is brief but a welcome break as are the food and drink.

My wedding was held at the DC Mission and Ira Crowe was the minister. At the time he was Case Supervisor at the org. He was very professional and my wife credits him with contributing to our 24 year marriage.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

It's different because it has different verbiage. There's not just one wedding ceremony, there are at least two or three. I had the double ring ceremony and it was very special to me- it was a very special time.