Spoilers***My Scientology Movie*** Look away now

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by Emma, Sep 12, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. phenomanon

phenomanon Gold Meritorious Patron

Yep! As I stated , it is my opinion based on the Documentary.

2. Boomima

Boomima Patron with Honors

I think if you are an ex you might not see how bizarre the basics about Scientology would seem to someone from the outside.

3. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

I totally agree. We don't know what Marty feels. He may be hiding his regret out of pride or shame.

I agree. There is a post above where we have a direct account of the impact it has had on a large number of never ins. Louis documentary offered a perspective that we have not yet seen and he should be commended for it. He looked deep and David Miscavige and deep at Marty and the role play that captured the activities at the Int Base was unique and shocking, particularly to a never in.

Tom DeVocht's revelations about the FBI raid were an excellent insight into the mindset of those at Hemet. Tom told the FBI that there was no point going in and trying to free them. They wouldn't go. Then he talked about why.

There have been consistent complaints that the documentary didn't cover enough. The same claims were made about Going Clear. A complete documentary on Scientology would be at least 12 full length feature episodes.

IMHO this was the most psychological and personal documentary we have seen to date.

4. Gib

Gib Crusader

As I highlight in red, that is a appeal to emotions, pathos. What I am trying to do is an appeal to logic as opposed to you using an appeal to emotions.

"Ethos is an appeal to ethics, and it is a means of convincing someone of the character or credibility of the persuader. Pathos is an appeal to emotion, and is a way of convincing an audience of an argument by creating an emotional response. Logos is an appeal to logic, and is a way of persuading an audience by reason."

All three can be used in "argumentation".

http://www.cherriporter.com/docs/introductiontorhetoricandargument.pdf

Aristole believed logic was the best, hence we have critical thinkers.

ETA: Aristole in his time did not have documentarys or movies. That adds a whole new paradigm to our present time scene with the battle against the cult, including the internet. There can be missing info in documentaries as well (this statement by me is an appeal to logic).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

Oneone's post is speculating about emotions, not appealing to emotion. See the difference?

6. Gib

Gib Crusader

you are correct. I got my thoughts mixed up.

7. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

That's got me very emotional. Oh wait.