Stonelands and St. Hill Peace Stories

Discussion in 'Staff "War Stories"' started by vumba, Jan 13, 2012.

View Users: View Users
  1. vumba

vumba Patron with Honors

Dull Old Fart... do you happen to know the story of the ghost of the old woman in a rocking chair by the old fireplace in the Ballroom perchance?

2. Crashed Alien

Crashed Alien Patron with Honors

Vumba

Glad to have stirred up some good memories...

One of mine...

As a kid, perhaps 10 or 11, I remember lying on my tummy on the edge of the old pool... Usually alone.

I recall a young girl being there sometimes, tagging along... I can't recall who she was as it was not important at the time... She was friendly and patient with me.

What was important was her quiet company as we watched the water boatmen under the surface doing what they do - Paddle and paddle endlessly. We made boats out of leaves and sailed them above the monsters of the deep (yes, the harmless little water boatmen).

The sun was warm sometimes, but whatever the weather, there was never a breeze because of the stone wall around the pool.

I recall these memories with peace that one can only get from childhood memories.

Whether is was like that in other people's realities is to me, and whoever that little girl was, of no consequence. That was our reality - Is our reality...

Fond memories of a place long gone, of childhoods that have long-since matured and of an era that could not happen in modern times...

Memories from my age of innocence.

Crash

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. DartSmohen

DartSmohen Silver Meritorious Patron

Stonelands.... hmmm.

Had some good times there.

It was purchased for £32,000 by a John Parselle mission. (He also organised the purchase of the Stables).

On the RPF we used the basement. Remember Amy ? She used to come down and "entertain" us.

Remember Bob Cave dying? Her had chronic athsma. We had to call the police. Bob had burst into Malcolm & Gillians room dying. He desperately needed regular medical medication, but the CS (Pedro) told him processing would fix him.

I rember the attic rooms being used by Marlin & Peter Gelfan and Richard & Carla Reiss.

On the next floor down that lovely couple ( Hah!) Bruce & Anne Glushakow lived.

We used to arrange spook parties when we would paint luminous paint on our hands and scare all and sundry.

Then there was Dalene, the CO, she always appeared for muster in her dressing gown with a toilet roll under her arm.

One of the high points was the ISB concert in the ballroom. Great night.

Outside was a sort of tram car lived in by Richard Didcote. He made a great play for Kathy Fryman, came out one morning all beaming and swaggering. Trouble was he got her pregnant and had to marry her.

Bernie married Loretta Shantz's nanny, Chris, a Canadian girl. Some wags from the men's dorm tied tin cans under their nuptual bed. Quite noisy I was told :)

Ivis & Monica were like ghouls at the feast. Always tried to put a damper on any jolity.

Pat & Lew Stanley lived in the house beside the main building. She used to make him shave before koining her in bed.

Ah, those were the days !

Dart

4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

No, sorry. First I heard of it.

Paul

5. Dulloldfart

Oh yes. I was once literally in the middle of having sex with her roommate one night when Amy came into the candlelit room and assuming it was very dark (because she'd just come in from the light) wasn't concerned about taking her clothes off in front of me. But that was the closest I ever came to being "entertained" by her.

Shame about the 2D FO coming out fairly soon afterwards. Spoiled a lot of fun.

Paul

6. Crashed Alien

Crashed Alien Patron with Honors

Solo,

A little insider info... From what I know.

As I heard it, it was not an isolated incident that caused the ban, it was the fact that quite a few people were cooking on Irons, had installed their own TVs, heaters, electric blankets, sandwich toasters, etc. etc.

Personally, I can't blame them; there was no heating to speak of and the place was damp and breezy indoors!

Herbie Parkhouse was finance... He was the poor chap who had to find all the pennies for the bills, which sky rocketed out of control.

You see, you really were not alone in leaving the heaters on all day and there really was little or no money at the time...

There will be those here reading this who know this to be true and also know what electrical appliances they were using... They may even admit it :).

And as you recall, the heaters and appliances were not modern energy efficient jobbies, they were old, usually second hand bar heaters...

This was like "the old days" (It was the old days!)... I mean, the lights in the building dimmed when one of these things was plugged in :ohmy:

That is what I know about it anyway.

BTW, I believe it was one of these type of bar heaters left on all day to dry a pair of jeans (with no one there to keep an eye on it) that caused Brooke House to burn down.

Crash

7. Dulloldfart

It was. I read the mission debrief afterwards.

Paul

8. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

There's no cold like scientology cold. The heating's on but no warmth comes out. All the housing and all the orgs are unbearably cold places. Bleak and miserable. But Stonelands and Saint Hill had something a kind of memory of human warmth. A kind of ghost of pleasant times in a distant period, when bed hopping was allowed, and people smiled, before ethics justice and the dynamos was written. I do remember those recruitment parties they had when people actually had fun, and there was food and even drink. Then things got bleaker and blacker and serious and solid as a rock. There was to be no frying of other fish and that meant no libs, no parties and no fun. Narnia froze over and Aslan went into hiding.

9. solo

solo Patron with Honors

Hi Crash,

aw, come on, let me enjoy my guilty indulgence! Actually, it wasn't a bar heater, it was a massive storage radiator, but never mind. The problem was, it was actually a warm day and we had left the window open......Yes, every electrical appliance was siezed, we couldn't have irons, kettles, heaters, TV's etc. any more.

I can't even remember whether me and my room-mate had to do conditions. Probably! I dare say you're right, it wasn't just me....I do remember that Ted Dunn worked out how much each appliance cost to run and told us that it cost more to turn a light off than to leave it on. I dare day there wasn't any money to pay the bills, but if so maybe one should ask where the Org's GI went.

However, I feel I have digressed. This thread was supposed to be about our peaceful memories, so here is one of mine. Before the SO I used to work in a library, and books have always been my escape and my solace. Someone came up with the idea of pooling our books to make a "crew library", so I helped to set up some book-cases on the main landing and we filled them with books for anyone to read. There's every chance I put them in alphabetical order, but there we are..... If anyone still has a book marked "crew library", don't worry, there were no fines!

Oh yes, and nightwatch! What bliss, to have the whole night to yourself down in the galley (although cold and bleak) with no hassle, no targets and just the moths and a good book for company (ok, I know, I should have been making my letters out quota)- and Mick Parkee would get up and make breakfast, he always made sure the nightwatch person got enough to eat!

Solo

10. Dulloldfart

My first post in AOSHUK was Bills Payments Preparing Officer. Treasury AOSHUK at the time paid the bills for AOSHUK, SH FDN, GOWW and FOLOUK (no Estates yet). The admin in the area was a mess. Anyway, over a few months I got it tidied up and finally around March 1973 I had this lovely chart for all the electricity bills, showing the monthly bills for each area for a whole year. I was admiring it when I suddenly realized that we weren't receiving electricity bills for Stonelands and had been living there for a year or something.

So I alerted people and got the bills in, and of course it flapped as there wasn't enough money set aside and so on. Then in true Scientology fashion I got comm-eved for not "handling it" and found guilty! That was my first taste of Scientology justice.

Fortunately I got to stay on post and just did lowers, but it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

Treasury had been in the monkey room, sharing the space with the Finance Bureau GOWW when I first arrived, but was moved to the Solarium shortly afterwards. In 1973, Bernie Radburn was Treasury Sec, Lew Stanley was Dir Income, Pauline Chatterton was Area Cashier, Colin Guy was in Dept 7, David Flood was Dir Disbursements, Alistair Guy was Purchasing Officer, Pat Stanley was Payroll, Graham Sayell was Dir RAM, and maybe a Scottish lass in Dept 7 briefly too. Quite a bunch of us.

Paul

11. solo

solo Patron with Honors

Ha, how typical that you got the blame!

I think this was earlier than the confiscation of appliances episode, which must have been around 1974/5. Do you remember what the outcome of Ted Dunn's research was, if anything?

Perhaps you could enlighten Crash about where all the GI went and why there was no money to pay the bills?!!! (I'm sure you will have the references to hand!)

Solo

ps how do you cut a section from a post to quote, rather than getting the whole post in the reply?

12. Dulloldfart

No. All I remember was that bit about it's the starter in a fluorescent tube that uses all the power and once it's alight the tube uses nothing, so it's best to leave all the (fluorescent) lights on and never turn them off. [I'm not saying this was true in the 70s but that's what Ted Dunn reported].

Easy enough to Google if he wants to look it up. :). I don't want to write it up again, and many people have done so.

Just delete what you don't want.

The icon above the edit box that looks like a speech bubble also wraps <QUOTE> tags around text.

Paul

13. Dart...you can't just drop that bombshell on us...a little more info, please!

What year was this? Where was he from and about how old was he? Who was in charge? Were emergency services called, was he taken to a Doctor, ever? Was there a Police investigation? Publicity? Was there a flap? Outcome of Coroner's report? What about his family, did they raise a fuss? Sue?

Willful and deliberate denial of medical care to a chronically ill person with a life-threatening illness probably rises to the level of negligent homicide. Was there a cover up?

Do tell.

This is one Scientology death that I had not heard about until you mentioned it here.

More details, please...for history.

Anybody else who knows anything about this, please feel free to chime in!

14. vumba

vumba Patron with Honors

I loved reading this. I studied English and Theatre at University, and when I came out I started a company called "Just Imagine". Rather than my telling children a story, I wanted to hear their stories. I went into schools with a dressing up box, a treasure chest of "jewellery" and coloured pens, paper and photos of people's faces. The children then just simply used their imagination to create wonderful stories. I am inspired by the imagination of children, and if you sit back and watch a child who discovers something for the first time, it is truly a wonderful sight to behold. I know exactly what you mean about this age of innocence, and that is why I think it is so important to continue to read our children bed time stories; eat lunch/dinner together as a family (we don't always manage this ourselves), and go out and explore nature so children can continue to create and imagine all their lives!

I know it isn't important but it would be lovely to know who the little girl was who followed you around. How sweet and tender. I like that thought. You just needed to add a little dog and you would have had the foundations for an adventure book!:yes::lol::ship::runaround::horse::witch2::hamster::baby1:

15. vumba

vumba Patron with Honors

Fun times!

16. Dulloldfart

Amy Youngman, young (18?) American girl. Short blonde hair, relatively slim. Called herself Aimée with the accent after a while. She worked as admin in the Reg Office in the Castle next to Reception, early 1973 on. She started just about the same time I did.

Paul

17. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

ah Didcoate! After his years on the PAC RPF, got offloaded (against his wishes) and then ended up doing a little errand or two for OSA - one of which was to drop by and see me.

How on earth did such a nice guy become such a pathetic loser?

18. Just another successful product of Scientology, Mick! :coolwink:

19. Vumba, may we please hear the ghost story? :drama:

20. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

The nursery, loved the wooden panels. There was a pretty young nanny who slept on a mattress on the floor in there. The place was full of toys left over from the little Hubbards. Wonderful 50's toys, aeroplanes just like OT3, maybe that's where he got the idea. They were once expensive toys and they treated with no respect by the kids, and I thought, ''well good for them'' all they got to play with was cast offs. It was a beautiful house that stank of used nappies. A shame indeed. But the biggest shame was the kids who were allowed to see a parent, for up to two hours, and the rest of the time they were herded around in large loud groups.