What's new

Super Reg Me

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Through means that I am not at liberty to divulge (if I told you, I’d have to … etc), I have obtained a Wikipedia article from the not too distant future…

Super Reg Me

‘Super Reg Me’ is a 2013 documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an independent American filmmaker. Spurlock’s film follows a 30-day period from February 13 to March 13 2012 during which he visits a Scientology church every day. The film documents this experiments effect on Spurlock’s financial and psychological well-being, and explores the Church of Scientoology’s corporate nature and rapacious greed for money, including how it encourages members to go into debt in order to enrich its coffers.

As a result of this experiment, the 40 year-old Spulock lost approximately $4,374,000, maxed out 17 credit cards and experienced mood swings, mental dysfunction and a total loss of credit worthiness. Despite the commercial success of this film, Spurlock has yet to recoup his losses.

Spurlock’s investigation was prompted by the increasing concern over the coercive tactics used by employees of the CoS against its members in order to extract ‘donations’ and the aggressively litigious stance of the CoS when dealing with anyone who publicly criticises the organization.

Content

As the film begins, Spurlock is in above average financial health according to his personal accountant. He is tested by 3 financial professionals (an investment consultant, a personal banker and an accountant). All three predict that the ‘SciDiet’ will have unwelcome effects on his bank balance, but none expected anything too drastic, one citing the human bank balance as being “extremely adaptable”.

Experiment

Spurlock had specific rules governing his financial activity within the CoS:

• He must spend at least 7 hours per day at each church.

• He must spend each break and meal-time on the church’s premises and not attempt to hide or walk away from any staff member who approaches him.

• He must donate any amount specifically asked for by any employee of the CoS or any affiliated organizations (such as IAS, CCHR, Narconon etc) but he must not originate wanting to make any donation nor offer any clue as to how much he can afford to pay.

• He must ‘Super Reg’ if asked to by any official registrar. This is defined as purchasing additional copies of materials or courses that he has already paid for, increasing his ‘status’ in the IAS or Super Power or donating to any activity that he does not personally gain from, when asked to by a registrar, but only if they use the words “Your eternal future is at stake here.”

• He must only read Scientology-published literature and avoid reading any material that is critical of the CoS.

• He must apply for any loan or credit card when asked to by a registrar and use whatever cover story the registrar creates for him.​

On February 13, he first visits the Church of Scientology Mission of New Jersey, is shown around the building and buys a $50 ‘Life-Improvement’ course.

Day 2 brings his first experience with the IAS when a visiting IAS registrar persuades him to buy the status of ‘Lifetime Member’ which costs him $3,000. This interview lasts for 2 and 37 minutes after which he experiences stomach discomfort and nausea, and promptly vomits in the church’s parking lot.

After 5 days, Spurlock has spent a total of $93,650 and purchased 3 complete sets of ‘The Basics’ books and lectures packages, the complete Academy Package, two E-meters and increased his IAS status to Patron.

After 9 days, he is routed to the Church of Scientology Ideal Org of New York City in Manhattan, for ‘higher level services’. He is regged for $102,576 in his first 10 minutes.

Spurlock's wife, Alexandra, attests to the fact that Spurlock lost much of his energy and sex drive during his experiment. It was not clear at the time whether or not Spurlock would be able to complete the full month of the high-reg, high-lunacy diet, and family and friends began to express concern.

On Day 17, he is selected by a staff member to go to The Flag Service Organization in Clearwater, Florida, in order “to go OT full-time”. On his first day there, he spends a total of 11 hours and 43 minutes in ‘reg’ interviews and donates $213,000.

On Day 21, Spurlock has heart palpitations. His account, Daryl Isaacs, advises him to stop what he is doing immediately to avoid any serious financial health problems. He compares Spurlock with the protagonist played by Nicolas Cage in the movie Leaving Las Vegas, who intentionally drinks himself to death in a matter of weeks. Despite this warning, Spurlock decides to continue the experiment.

On March 13, Spurlock makes it to day 30 and achieves his goal. In thirty days, he has been ‘Super Regged’ 29 times, bought every item in the CoS bookstore, donated to 13 different organizations within the CoS and achieved the status of Platinum Golden Patron Excelsior. His accountant is surprised at the degree of deterioration in Spurlock's financial health. He notes that he has donated as much money in 30 days as 15,000 average Americans would in one year.

Reaction

‘Super Reg Me’ first premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, where Morgan Spurlock won the Grand Jury Prize for directing the film. The film opened in the U.S. on May 7, 2013, and received widespread critical acclaim.

The Church of Scientology dismissed all criticisms levelled by the film, with chief spokesperson, Karin Pouw saying “Hundreds of Scientologists are literally delirious with joy at being asked to contribute to the incredible expansion of Scientology. Last year alone, we opened over 9,000 new churches in 606 countries. The views of billions of wog journalists don’t concern us. If you don’t like Scientology, fuck you. Period. No, I really mean it, fuck you and if you don’t get that fucking microphone out of my face I’ll show you why we aren’t a ‘turn the other cheek’ religion.”

Morgan Spurlock currently works in a McDonald’s restaurant and is working hard to pay off his bankruptcy. His post-traumatic counselling continues.

Axiom142

Last edited:

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good one!!!

Interestingly enough, I just got done watching Morgan Spurlock's "POM WONDERFUL PRESENTS ... The Greatest Movie Ever Sold!" I liked it. It was very informative about the subject of product placement in movies. My son, who will graduate this year from a prestigious college with a degree in journalism, watched it with me and we both laughed our butts off and discussed it afterwards. HOWEVER ... upon doing a search online after watching the movie, it appears that it was a box office flop, not even grossing what it cost to produce. And the way I read what was stated regarding his corporate sponsors ... they were buying advertising and Morgan had to guarantee a certain box office and/or DVD sales in order to receive the ad money. Not 100% certain on how that all works, but, Morgan Spurlock may already be in the hole. The redges might find themselves picking over dry bones that have already been pretty well picked clean by scavengers and/or other carrion eaters. Which of course, brings up another point ... why did the TSA stop a vulture from getting on an airplane with a dead rabbit and a dead cat?? Because the airlines only allow one piece of carrion luggage these days.

Pete