The 'Diana' formerly the 'Enchantress'

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by Rmack, May 2, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. pkatz

pkatz Patron with Honors

never mind..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Rabble Rouser

Last I heard was that the bones of it were beached & it would be near impossible be make back into a boat.

My info was circa mid-ish 80's from someone who seen it & wanted as far as possible from that project which was bound to produce a boatload of declares.

Whether or not something was cobbled together & called that rusted out old beached hulk ? I was gone before anything like that might have happened.

Like all of the cult, it was a piece of truth mixed in with some fantasy & stirred with thick bullshit.

3. Little David

Little David Silver Meritorious Patron

Scientology claims on one of their pages:

"In 1989 a project to restore the Diana began. The extensive refitting was performed under the direction of Sea Organization veterans, who upgraded her to full professional standards. Using compilations of Ron’s nautical experience and his precise writings on how to sail the Diana, she was returned to service in 1991 as a training vessel for the crew of the new 440-foot Sea Org Motor Vessel, Freewinds®. Today, the Diana proudly carries the Sea Organization flag, continuing her tradition as a training ship for able-bodied seamen and new Sea Organization members alike."

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-Enchantress&p=1097728&viewfull=1#post1097728

Which just makes me more curious as to why there are no photos of it after the restoration and the probable bullshit claim that it is being used as a training ship "today".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Rabble Rouser

No one who knew jack shit about boats would get near that project as it was a rusted out abandoned old hulk. God only knows what they clobbered together to call that thing a boat again, but, anybody who knew their ass from a hole in the ground GTF away from that project.

5. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

Re: The 'Diana' formerly the 'Enchanter'

^^^ fx'd :)
    Edit~
    I got curious (imagine dat lolol), this is the last news I could find on the old scow, thanks Xenu compiler! This is a PDF of the article, link here~ http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/images/thecompiler-1986-23.pdf

'Ron's Morgue' has a couple of pictures of it being rebuilt at the sekrit boatyard in Tarpon Springs after the above fiasco, what an ugly mess too, according to one of the captions they had to replace over 80% of the hull... so not a 'refit' :hysterical:

That be it from this end of the peanut gallery!

:cheers: And apologies if someone already beat me to this :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

After a point, it becomes more economical to just buy a new boat of similar type, and move the name plate over. Maybe that's what they did?

7. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

I found this in a 1991 copy of the SO High Winds magazine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

So they had to replace the hull, the keel, the ribs -- in other words, they custom-built a new boat to look like the old one, and put the old boat's name plate on it.

9. uncover

uncover Silver Meritorious Patron

That's what your donations buy..... I mean that is urgently needed to "clear this planet".

10. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

Yes, and to round off the pr about this hideously expensive waste of donors' money, it says "God bless her and all who sail in her", which is a bit rich coming from a so-called religion that doesn't believe in 'God'.

11. Rmack

Rmack Van Allen Belt Sunbather

It definitely wasn't that posh below deck when I sailed on her.

'91? That was only about 7 or 8 years after I was on board. Harry Mason mentioned that he wanted to renovate her, but I'm sure he didn't have anything so elaborate as this complete rebuild in mind. He was a jerk, but he wasn't stupid.

12. uncover

uncover Silver Meritorious Patron

Look, this ship is now an Sea-Org asset, which has to last...... at least 1 billion years.

13. Enthetan

Enthetan Mutant

The "plush lounge" indicates that this boat is intended to be Dave's personal getaway boat.

14. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Seriously? The Pope of Scientology (COB) decreed a full and lavishly expensive restoration of the "Diana", an entirely useless artifact from Hubbard's crime spree?

Hey, I've spent time around and on Sea Org ships. But I couldn't actually read this thread in detail. I had to generally and gingerly flip through the posts--such was their assaultive and corrosive effect on rational thinking.

What conceivable benefit could there be to anyone on earth to spend millions on a vessel whose only claim is that it helped keep a world class con man beyond the reach of the law, tax agencies and process servers?

Qui Bono?

To whose good? Who benefits?

Reminds me of the LRH museum and CCHR Psychiatry Industry of Death museums that NOBODY goes to. Yet, inside are elaborate and expensive displays, restorations and other artifice in a vain attempt to lend legitimacy and imbue gravitas in otherwise worthless cult paraphenalia. To wit, total crap that should be selling on eBay for $1 to $3.

The only thing stupider than restoring a worthless ship for a worthless cult that won't even use it (think SuperPower building for $200M, think $95M for the building at "Int" housing COB's lone office, et al) is the NOT KNOWING HOW TO KNOW parishioners who do NOT ask how exactly their donations were spent.

Scientology continues to celebrate all manner of technical breakthroughs, 4th Dynamic Wins and other meaningless propaganda. But, even for a treacherously lying cult like Scientology, restoring an unnecessary ship (when the Freewinds is struggling like mad to fill its accommodation cabins and courtrooms and break even) is sheer clownery.

Only a Scientologist would be stupid enough to stand and applaud such a "monumental achievement" as restoring the Diana. What's next? Creating a theme park with scary rides/attractions such as the "FULLY RESTORED" chain locker that Hubbard imprisoned and terrorized 4 year old kids in?

15. Ogsonofgroo

Ogsonofgroo Crusader

:hysterical:

Well maybe, if it was tied to a dock or on land for a little late-night 'boinking' escapade, but I highly suspect the wee Dwarfenfurher wouldn't sully his lavish life-style (lolol, what a wanker) on such a tub, re-built or not, that POS ain't going to sea anytime soon, it was an ungainly, top heavy tippy-wallowing slush-bucket when ol' Tubs got it in the sixties.
    Now it has the decks done in steel plate, and along with having a tonne of teak deck put atop that, and then all the extra-lavish wood-work etc., oh my, certainly it would be a learnin' experience for any crew unfortunate enough to get sucked into that. Better that they had cut off the masts and turned it into a motor yacht thingy.
    It was originally a forty tonne scow, wonder what the displacement is now?
    They (cult) state it was re-keeled, am betting that they added several tonnes extra on the new keel, but alas, I do not really know but suspect it was substantial.
    iya.
    There's a term for cars of the same ilk, 'trailer queens'; pretty and pretty useless, I have sailed for years and haz a bit of smarts about the matter and boats in general, and I feel sorry for anyone having to take that boat out into the real world's oceans.
    Ugly on the outside, pretentious on the inside.... a perfect example of KSW kinda backwards and sideways.
    For all the blather spewed from their direction about 'mest possessions'/'opulence/stuff , hmmm, isn't it noice that such a charitable corporation/ humanitarian/elitist/fucks can waste their donations for such a cause?
    Perfect 'monument' lolol!
    Yay them!
    Just my opinion, I go now :run:

:cheers: to All!

Edit~
    Not just because this is the usual sort of bull-crap cult does professing their mad skills, but the picture of LC Wally Burgess 'at the helm' (good lord, take the old barge out and get some real shots ffs!), take a look at the beautiful finishing on the sky-light hatch above him! Lol! Am betting his thoughts at the time are along the lines of 'Thank fuck I don't have to sail this thing anywhere!'
    Hm, '91 in the Bahamas? Perfect shuttle-boat for Colombian coke from the Failwinds to Fla. imho.

:p

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  16. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

What a hilarious post! Especially that last bit.

I couldn't stop laughing. Literally.

You inspired me. What's next?

View attachment 13107
    :coolwink:

17. Little David

Little David Silver Meritorious Patron

Yes, in the "new refurbished wheelhouse"! Dirty, white paint smudged wood. WTF.

Bob Duggan apparently donated most of the money for that restoration long before he became a billionaire.

So we know the Diana's status as of 25 years ago. What did they do with it since then and where is it now? I like history and don't care if they let it rot away, I just like to know this kind of stuff and how and why it happened. Thanks Ogsonofgroo and cakemaker for your recent additions to the story.

18. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

We hereby rechristen thee - "Diana's Silk Purse"

19. pkatz

pkatz Patron with Honors

Steady there, Ogs. She's not a bad lookin' little motorsailer. If she was under-ballasted when you sailed in her that's on the ship yard and the owner not correcting for stability.

As for the skylight coaming (how's that for sailor talk, eh?) what looks like a sloppy paint job may be caulking filling the voids left after the rotten spots were cut out. I'm no ship's carpenter, so anyone is free to tell me what should have been done.

ps: At one time it was contemplated she would be set on a pedestal in the Sandcastle parking lot as a museum (or monument, not sure) according to my friend at the SO Museum.

20. Gizmo

Gizmo Rabble Rouser

{{{{{ all after " claims " deleted }}}}}

To my only 3 decade-ish experience with that cult ?

The word " claim " pretty much covers the whole topic of anything to do with those people.