What's new

The ESMB Choir thread is born…

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I opened a (free) ESMB Choir account on Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.com/esmb-choir.

I uploaded a base track for our "Wall of Fire" ensemble piece at DELETED. As I get other tracks that I can add in, I will mix them in.

EDIT: Use the original Johnny Cash version for pitch and timing. Harmony is fine. There's an audio only version at https://soundcloud.com/esmb-choir/jc-original for now. After 24 hours this message will be permanent but I don't guarantee the link will last!

Paul

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader
I opened a (free) ESMB Choir account on Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.com/esmb-choir.

I uploaded a base track for our "Wall of Fire" ensemble piece at https://soundcloud.com/esmb-choir/wof-words-key-timing. As I get other tracks that I can add in, I will mix them in.

Paul

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

And here's the purple how-to list:

1. Print the lyrics and put them out in front of you.
2. Open this thread to the correct youtube version of the song.
3. Plug in your headphones so the music does not get into your recording.
4. Open the sound recorder on your smartphone.
5. Start playing the youtube and recording on your smartphone as close to the same time as possible.
6. Sing along with the youtube, using the printed lyrics.
7. Record as often as you want to feel happy with it.
8. Upload the recording to your computer or just email from your smartphone to Paul's email address.
9. Become part of the ESMB choir!
10. Easy peasy!
11. Go on - do it! It's fun.
12. :)

Purple Rain

Crusader

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Oh, I thought we agreed to use the other Johnny Cash video - that's the one I made my recording to. The one you and Mr Nobody were talking about.

[STRIKE]No, sorry. It would be more sensible to use that one, but my voice has deteriorated even more from when I recorded that (2007?) and I would have to bow out.

If it is unworkable to sing along to my track then I will bow out of the recording, but will still do the mixing.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Yes, we'll use the Johnny Cash original for timing and pitch.

Paul

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader
No, sorry. It would be more sensible to use that one, but my voice has deteriorated even more from when I recorded that (2007?) and I would have to bow out.

If it is unworkable to sing along to my track then I will bow out of the recording, but will still do the mixing.

Paul

No, I can have a go at that as long as we are all clear on which one to use. I'll try to do it tonight, but it might be a bit late for the thin walls in the residence here. If not, I'll have another go tomorrow. :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I got the file, Purple, thanks.

I'm going to take the sensible route and use the Johnny Cash version as the basis for timing. The pitch is the same, although he does it better. :). I've been adjusting the timing of my track to Purple's (which matches the JC version perfectly) by tweaking it in Audacity, and it sounds fine.

I expect I will make some use of your latest recording, Purple, so it wasn't a waste of time.

Paul

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

And here's the purple how-to list:

1. Print the lyrics and put them out in front of you.
2. Open this thread to the correct youtube version of the song.
3. Plug in your headphones so the music does not get into your recording.
4. Open the sound recorder on your smartphone.
5. Start playing the youtube and recording on your smartphone as close to the same time as possible.
6. Sing along with the youtube, using the printed lyrics.
7. Record as often as you want to feel happy with it.
8. Upload the recording to your computer or just email from your smartphone to Paul's email address.
9. Become part of the ESMB choir!
10. Easy peasy!
11. Go on - do it! It's fun.
12. :)

13. Wait until still-in, True Believer, love of your life is out of the house and certain not to return for at least several hours before proceeding with inflammatory lyrics in order to avoid messy divorce over the holiday season.

14. Shred printed lyrics for same reason as above. (Or, better yet given the song, burn them :D )

Purple Rain

Crusader
13. Wait until still-in, True Believer, love of your life is out of the house and certain not to return for at least several hours before proceeding with inflammatory lyrics in order to avoid messy divorce over the holiday season.

14. Shred printed lyrics for same reason as above. (Or, better yet given the song, burn them :D )

Well, just see that your house doesn't turn into a wall of fire when you do so! Lol!

15. Do NOT burn house down!

Edit: That can be the really tricky bit. I nearly do that all the time.... :p

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
https://soundcloud.com/esmb-choir/wof-jc-paul-purple

So here is a mix of the original Johnny Cash version, Paul and Purple.

Who's next to record a track that I can mix in?

Paul

EDIT: I may or may not keep all these tracks. If the link to an individual track is broken, just go to the Soundcloud ESMB Choir page at https://soundcloud.com/esmb-choir and see what's there. By default later tracks go on top with earlier ones lower down.

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader
I hope Mr Nobody comes through with a decent instrumental. That bass line!

Paul

I thought you did really well with putting those three together - especially since they were recorded at two different speeds. I have no idea about bass lines though. Bass who?

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
I hope Mr Nobody comes through with a decent instrumental. That bass line!

Paul

Don't know about "decent", but when I finally have the room to do so, I'll deliver 2 or 3 guitar tracks, 1 bass guitar track, 1 trumpet track, 1 very minimalistic drum track.

Drums and trumpets will probably be played on a Yamaha PSR-423 keyboard, the rest are real instruments. Takamine Western guitar, Washburn bass -guitar, Stagg e-guitar. Haven't decided the other e-guitar yet, but that last track won't be really necessary anyway.

I can give my tracks 4 or 8 count-in beats in the beginning, which makes track synchronization easier and I can add a metronome track if you want.

Multiply the number of tracks by 2, if you want full stereo (I'd recommend that, Paul in enhanced Stereo and some FX sounds awesome). I won't fiddle around with too many effects, but I think a very moderate dose of reverb, delay, phaser/flanger might be in order.

Well, that's what I can offer, now you guys decide. :)

Ps:
The 2-voice take Paul just published sounds great. Both voices are OK in pitch, but not yet really together on the beat. You think a metronome track can help with that?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Ps:
The 2-voice take Paul just published sounds great. Both voices are OK in pitch, but not yet really together on the beat. You think a metronome track can help with that?

Yes, thank you. That is useful criticism. A metronome track ASAP would be very helpful. I can sync bare voices together by the shape of the waveforms, but the JC track is so full of noise that the beat is invisible to the eye and my ear isn't that good.

Paul

Purple Rain

Crusader
Don't know about "decent", but when I finally have the room to do so, I'll deliver 2 or 3 guitar tracks, 1 bass guitar track, 1 trumpet track, 1 very minimalistic drum track.

Drums and trumpets will probably be played on a Yamaha PSR-423 keyboard, the rest are real instruments. Takamine Western guitar, Washburn bass -guitar, Stagg e-guitar. Haven't decided the other e-guitar yet, but that last track won't be really necessary anyway.

I can give my tracks 4 or 8 count-in beats in the beginning, which makes track synchronization easier and I can add a metronome track if you want.

Multiply the number of tracks by 2, if you want full stereo (I'd recommend that, Paul in enhanced Stereo and some FX sounds awesome). I won't fiddle around with too many effects, but I think a very moderate dose of reverb, delay, phaser/flanger might be in order.

Well, that's what I can offer, now you guys decide. :)

Ps:

I've just emailed Paul about how we could maybe get the recording more in sync! I do hope others will add their voices. It's not much of a choir with just two people!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yes, thank you. That is useful criticism. A metronome track ASAP would be very helpful. I can sync bare voices together by the shape of the waveforms, but the JC track is so full of noise that the beat is invisible to the eye and my ear isn't that good.

Paul

Yoo-hoo! Mr Nobody?

I'd love that metronome track. It's easy to generate a click track in Audacity (Generate > Click track), but that original JC track is so full of noise I can't determine the correct tempo. Some sheet music site online says it's 107 beats per minute in 2/4 time, but I've tried various bpm numbers and can't seem to get it right.

Even just an accurate tempo number would be fine, assuming the tempo stays the same throughout. I don't need a fancy metronome track right now.

Paul