The Master The Movie

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by olska, Feb 28, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. olska

olska Silver Meritorious Patron

A friend brought over DVD of "The Master" tonight, and we watched it. He was never a scientologist; I'm an ex. I thought it was very, very funny! He liked the movie, but not because it was funny. So... did any other exes find it funny? just curious and would love to get some others' feedback on it. I know there was a thread about it earlier, but I can't find it.

2. olska

I liked this movie, but it was NOT what I expected, and I think maybe not what any of us expected. Were we expecting an "expose," a fictionalized "docu-drama" of scientology, or cults in general, or what?

I think this movie was very much all about scientology (not other cults) but it was a dead-pan, tongue-in-cheek SPOOF of scientology, Hubbard, Mary Sue, the true believers and followers, the whole deal. Judging by my friend's response (I was cracking up laughing, he wasn't) i think you had to be an "insider" to really get the jokes and understand it. Makes me very, very curious about the motivations of the people who made this film, and who they drew on for their information and inspiration.

Your thoughts?

3. FinallyMe

FinallyMe Silver Meritorious Patron

Olska, I absolutely agree with you! I went with a fellow Ex to see it, and we smirked and chuckled throughout. I listened to some other audience reactions after the show and realized that they had an entirely different experience -- I attribute that to the fact that they don't know the facts behind what was depicted on screen. I truly expected something else from the film -- as you say, more like a documentary -- I guess that was wishful thinking.

4. i think the intention was to create a subtle work of art and it was moderately successful in so doing

there are three shots of a ship's wake seen from the fantail. the one in the middle pans upward to the horizon. these form the arch of the bridge the artist paints

5. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

I enjoyed the movie.

What, to me, has been interesting is that people I know who have seen the movie and also know I was once " in " are now asking me questions about scn. Apparently MANY have read Lawrence's book & Jenna's.

Seems to be the cult has devoted itself to creating a large group of articulate people who are telling the truth about the cult ( Bitter apostates ? LOL ! ).

The net result is "new public" are better informed and staying away in droves from the cult. As this progresses to deeply cut the flow of new money into the cult it will dwindle away - and do so not so slowly.

I rejoice. Those bastards that run the cult are going down - and doing so mainly by their own hand of how they have behaved so badly.

6. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

Don't miss the deleted scenes in the DVD special features.

Twenty minutes of scenes that flesh out the story much better, especially
    a longer story line about the genus of the Split Saber book (Excalibur),
    the whole original mythology.

The missing scenes are entertaining. Wish they would have been in the
    original movie at the theater. Rounded out the plotting better for me.

7. olska

Thanks for the tip! I'm getting on Netflix soon, and will watch it again. My friend had to leave so we didn't have time for all the stuff on "special features" -- I'll watch those when my Netflix copy comes.:)

And yeah, the more i think about it, the more i find little plays on words -- wife, instead of Mary Sue was named Peggy -- a play on the 50s tune "Peggy Sue?" I'll be watching for more of these! such fun!

8. MrCognition

MrCognition Patron

I not only enjoyed the movie, I really enjoyed the musical soundtrack. I saw it with a friend that has never been in Scientology or read a book about Scientology. I had to explain different little nuances to her but she got it. . .like the bull baiting scene she didn't understand the purpose.

It was what I expected because I read interviews the director did before the movie came out. He explained what he wanted to do and the fact that he had Tom Cruise watch it ahead of time.

I wonder if Tom had to go to Ethics because of that?

9. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

I also laughed throughout the movie. The crowd was small since I went in the early afternoon on a weekday so I was able to gauge the audience's reaction. I was the only one laughing. :biggrin:

As far as the motivation behind the making of this film listen to the P.T. Anderson on NPR. Its an hour long. It's the best discussion of the movie by the maker that I have heard. It might surprise you because LRH and the CoS were only briefly mentioned. But it is still worth listening...

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/02/162153952/paul-thomas-anderson-the-man-behind-the-master

10. Dean Blair

Dean Blair Silver Meritorious Patron

I saw the movie alone but I wish that everyone here on ESMB could have been with me in the same theater here in Austin, TX. It would have been a blast to have hundreds of bitter defrocked apostates all together in one place watching that movie. I am certain we would have had fun

I enjoyed the movie. The acting was quite good and there were a lot of little things that someone who had not been a Scientologist would miss entirely.

At the theater I went to there was half an hour of video and pictures relating to Scientology. The Tony Hitchman interview with L Ron Hubbard was played with other Scientology related pictures such as L Ron with the tomato plants.

11. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I will be looking for this to come out on blu-ray.

12. Techless

Techless Patron Meritorious

I just watched the movie last eve for first. I definitely like it, but am still on the fence about having seen it, what my take on it was, verses others response to it may have been.
    As stated above - many different reactions. I think we need to define all the possible groups before understanding much else about it
    (this my take only, but think at least some thing like this that needs to be looked at before saying much else about such 'diversity' in response to the movies
    A quick summary:
    Types of people in this little world (SCN):
    1. Those "IN"Main or Corporate Scn Church-on lines. THEY may know a LOT or a LITTLE (#5 is part of this group)
    2. Those "IN-BETWEENST" Folks who are "out" but still believe in tech They may know a LOT or a LITTLE as in number 1 type includes: Freezoners & squirrels be here too.
    3. Those totally, absolutely "OUT" and yet "Know" a large part about the whole thing. (Like this wonderful group of ESMBers - mostly!)
    4. Those just barely having been "IN" for a few months and now "out" but have some knowledge about - not lots of experience though
    5. Those "Never having been IN" and thus "NEVER" knowing much of anything at all - Never cared about it but tend to hate it or reject it anyways cause they have always Hated anything about the whole cult thing
    6. Those NEVER knowing about it and just have had no viewpoint on it yet. Virgin Newbies (what heavily libido-ed SCN are on the watchout for...:yes:)

As I am a #3, it helps for me now, to see why such&such would laugh or not at the movie. And if you look at these categories more in-depth, you can see each type of folk, one or several subgroups under them. There are also crossover situations. My point being: there are a LOT of variations out there, and tells me right away, quite a LOT of room for how one might take or think of the movie. I do think not knowing about it, would have a completely different take on it as opposed to someones who done OTVIII.

So, my beginning thing here, it's is really a Matrix. But lets not mix our movies up (kidding). Pretty interesting little project - would also reflect rather perfectly (on the bigger picture of just everyone either involved in or not) and to whatever degree. I.E. it would be a great tool to determine some possibilities of what, how and why, things folks may be doing now or sometime in the future (soon hopefully) So just hope this may egg on others that see were i'm going with this and develop further. Or, if anyone wants to hear my 'further developed' version and how I'd be using such...
    may do, and why. I can 'have' feeling forced into proceeding with(?). Also: seems the 'freddy' character was of no particular/actual person. Anyone know otherwise? Even though the story carried through, from his eyes much of the time.

I now KNOW there are several folks here who could takes this to the deepest depths of Mordor, Zoraster, or BeAllah - please though: make it so we might understand?

I pray to God that the above categories, do NOT resemble anything from some of our shared history - yet the unique qualities of each may become an interesting tool!

My experience watching the movie with my honey (she is SOOO completely against SCN and some times I think her anger would equal more than the anger from any 10 good folks on the board who are against too.) Well, she didn't, wasn't getting it, it freaked her out and she left to not watch it, and this was only near beginning of the movie - and she does have blinders on sometimes, so maybe get her thru the whole thing at some other time?!?!
    I remained on couch and watched the whole thing, and felt the ending could have been so much better. Actually, I would have no problem with it being way longer and getting further into development period into 'mainstream' church and and hubbub's little personal/family journey.

We are having some serious discussions now, about the whole thing, cause she really knew nothing about it, but hated it totally right after her initial introduction to. It's reason she broke up with me back in '93
    We're back together now, and I have told her now for 5 years that I am definitely not in. She stills wonders and now with me being on this board, and then the movie spooking her quite a bit...there's some serious crumbs that are now having to be working out - and yet I'm am sooo tired of - I try to do as I can.

Hope I didn't get too off track :unsure: but was trying to give OP some kind of response.

13. Techless

Techless Patron Meritorious

Typo alert!! I meant to say:

Types of people in this little world (SCN):

1. Those "IN"Main or Corporate Scn Church-on lines. THEY may know a LOT or a LITTLE (#4 is part of this group)
    2. Those "IN-BETWEENST" Folks who are "out" but still believe in tech They may know a LOT or a LITTLE as in number 1 type includes: Freezoners & squirrels be here too.
    3. Those totally, absolutely "OUT" and yet "Know" a large part about the whole thing. (Like this wonderful group of ESMBers - mostly!)
    4. Those just barely having been "IN" for a few months and now "out" but have some knowledge about - not lots of experience though
    5. Those "Never having been IN" and thus "NEVER" knowing much of anything at all - Never cared about it but tend to hate it or reject it anyways cause they have always Hated anything about the whole cult thing
    6. Those NEVER knowing about it and just have had no viewpoint on it yet. Virgin Newbies (what heavily libido-ed SCN are on the watchout for...:yes:)

tl

14. MissWog

MissWog Silver Meritorious Patron

15. Jay Pea

Jay Pea Banned

If one googles "movies about scientology" what pops up is...

1. The Master
    2. The Profit
    3. The Bridge

Only the latter (#3) deals directly with the subject of scientology and Hubbard head on -- no holds barred with naming names like it is vs. inference or reasonable suggestion and implication. This search also parallels production and marketing budgets as well. Acting skills can be bought. Telling the truth and the whole truth about a cult on the big screen, has a cost far beyond money.

:confused2:

16. "...they stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast..."

17. Stephanie

Stephanie Patron with Honors

I just adore Joaquin Pheonix, the leading lady, and the buy playing LRH. THe endless TRs the poor guy was put through was hard to watch, but did remind me of my training days. I think it hit on the main point of LRH, he was the Master con man, and you see him at work, with his booze, his orgy, and his *pupils.

I once took a friend to CC for brunch, she is a high power executive in a Fortune 100 corp, and her assessment to me as we left was basically the same as in the movie. Scientology attracts a lot of *broken down people, who need a pick me up, and are willing to pay anything for th belief that they can be lifted.

I thought the harshness of LRH towards Joaquin was spot on - in how the organization as a whole treats people.

18. Osiris

Osiris Patron with Honors

I think it is streaming on the internet on Vudu in the US too ....to rent $3.99 SD, $4.99 HD, & 5.99 HDX or own the Movie $17.99 SD, $22.99 HD, & $22.99 HDX

I liked the way it started, showing a glimpse of a time at the end of World War Two, & the way the war experience can screw up a persons mind & behaviors.... & how they get on with their lives after that....

& then it moved to about 1950...... & then showed "Lancaster Dodd" (screen character for "LRH" ) inventing & trying out his Auditing Lists etc... (of course we recognize it was the time of "Book 1")

& it then followed this guy with the screwed up behaviors (who then became LRH's right hand man)....& "LRH" tryng to help him

I think it showed the character of LRH to be more competent then he actually would have been....

Although it did show the "LRH' character "loosing it" with a temper there once or twice.....

I also liked when it showed "LRH's" son ...... who said to the guy who was screwed up " that he (LRH) is making it all up as he goes along".....(big laugh by me......we all know about his son who did not like LRH & what happened there...)

I liked the way it showed "Mary Sue" as a very supportive wife.....

I also wondered about the nude scences...& why they were put in there.... ?

It also included a scene about giving a lecture in Phoenix.....(Book2)...

& then when LRH was at His "School in England" ..... obviously you know where, in the 1960's

& I like the part where the Screwed up guy.....must have become separated from LRH...when LRH went to England

because LRH contacted him (called him in) to come to England..... & the screwed up guy was asked to agree to a billion year contract .... & LRH made it sound like he was doing him a favor, that he tracked him down, & tried to make the screwed up guy agree to never leave again....(sound familiar)

It also made a scape goat of the Screwed up guy..... that he was the screwed up guy ....the one at fault.... all the time..... (but maybe he was the controlled by LRH guy.....sound familiar)....

Exes will definitely get a different view of it than Scios or the Public....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  19. Osiris

Osiris Patron with Honors

I forgot to mention....there is a scene where Lancaster Dodd (the LRH chatracter) is ordered to Re-pay thousands of dollars :omg: ... loved it :clap:

20. MissWog

MissWog Silver Meritorious Patron

Thereis soooo much more in this movie than we got to see.. Like the reason they have that scene with Peggy jerking off the Master in the bathroom.. This site has the DEETS on everything but I can't remember what the links where to the specific articles.. So just go browse and I promise you will be happy you did!
    http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/