The purpose of life

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Helena Handbasket, Aug 28, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

This is a question that comes up often, in Scn. and elsewhere: what is the purpose of life? Some get by just fine without answering that question; others sink into "anomie" because they can live, but there're just not sure why they are doing so.

I searched for the answer in many places, even watching the movie, A Dog's Purpose twice (great film). And I think I've finally got the answer:

(1) To follow your dreams

(2) To help others, and

(3) To have fun.

Some people want to leave the world a better place than when they found it. This would fall under (1) above.

Some say that the goal is to do something that will have an impact on the future; something that will outlast your lifetime. Having children is one way to do this. But if your children don't make the world a better place, then together the only thing you all have done is NOT made the world a better place in a longer time frame. If your children have children and so on, forever, you have accomplished a sort of infinity, but still, if there are no accomplishments aside from that, what have you done?

I'm sure different people have different proportions of (1), (2), and (3) they're attempting.

Comments, anyone?

Helena

2. screamer2

screamer2 Judas' Groat

Apparently we have been dumped here.
    We have a limited amount of support if we are lucky and even less if we are orphaned.
    We have a limited amount of time.
    What are we to do with this time?

I would venture to say that the boundary condition of 'the meaning (or purpose) of life' is that it has no boundary. This is to paraphrase S. Hawking:

In A Brief History of Time, Hawking writes:

This may or may not be the case. How are we to know if it is or is not?

I refrain from quoting A. Crowley.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  3. strativarius

strativarius Comfortably Numb

The purpose of life is to discover the purpose of life. Don't hold your breath. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Well, my Lovely Helena . . . I hope you know and have stated for yourself what your dream is . . .Yes?

Most folks have never truly articulated what their dreams and aspirations are, and of course they then wonder why they are adrift in life.

R

5. disilluzioned

disilluzioned Knock-em Down

LOL

6. disilluzioned

disilluzioned Knock-em Down

What the heck do I know? I'm no great philosopher or university professor or master theologian, but one religious leader's viewpoint (dare I mention the religion's name...hmmm, I better not or I might get blasted to hell LOL) is that we are God's creations, made in HIS image by which is meant just as God is an immortal being, so are we and just as God does, we have the free will to create or destroy. As creations of God we start out with absolutely NO life experience so we are here on Earth to "have a go of it" without God's intervention EVER, for if HE intervenes (like some people ask "How could God let that (a tragedy) happen? we cannot be held accountable or responsible for anything - and it would be like The Purge night...when you can do ANYTHING illegal - we go through as many lifetimes as it takes to become one with God again. Each life experience contains a lesson to be learned within...whether the experience is good, bad, enjoyable, unpleasant or some variation of them all. Either that or the purpose of life is to come here to ESMB and duke it out with each other :p as I'm seeing occurs here and there in some threads- but not in all of them. Some stuff here is really nice.:)
    Frank

7. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

And... why does it have to be only one purpose?

I object to any flying spaghetti monster dictating that I have one purpose. :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  9. strativarius

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make a profound statement, just trying in my pathetic way to be funny. Oh, and don''t call me a flying spaghetti monster!

10. strativarius

This was originally a duplicate post of the one above, but instead of simply writing 'duplicate', you get some great music instead. You lucky people!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  11. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

That part about dreams truly is inspirational and beautiful. My dream is to have battalions of Panzers crawling around a bomb crater pocked countryside with squadrons of Messerschmidts screaming through the flak-torn skies.

...and some people call me crazee...

12. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Mea culpa.
    (I was agreeing with you.)

I did not mean that you are the flying spaghetti monster.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

13. Helena Handbasket

I have a clear idea of what one dream is but have been unable to "make it so". I keep trying, but don't have much hope.

The other dream has totally and catastrophically failed, and there is absolutely no hope of reviving it ITL (in this lifetime). :sad:

Helena

14. screamer2

screamer2 Judas' Groat

I don't know how long you have been living here in this world, hellena, but I've been here for a while and my life is full of similar dashed dreams. The funny thing is that there's a whole raft of other dreams that came true. I suppose that focusing on the dreams that came true would be counterproductive.

15. Helena Handbasket

Including or not including past lives? :D

Helena

16. DagwoodGum

DagwoodGum Nada Da Doo Ron Jon

The Dagwood Gum take is that we exist for the purpose of being animators of all the various animations in creation.
    We are the cowboys riding these bucking bronco's of human form.
    What good would animations be without anyone to animate and thus, experience them?
    We exist to give purpose to creation while creation exists to give purpose to we animators, the yin and the yang.
    Of course there also exist a vast order & spectrum of animatrons that serve purposes related to keeping nature humming along so as to be enjoyed by all who's very survival as animators depend on the healthy thriving of these animatrons - ants, worms, chipmunks, polar bears, robins, finches etc.
    These have been developed to function entirely independent of an animator using the inherited knowledge and instincts of their ancestry as carried by their DNA to function and thrive without spiritual beings sitting in their driver's seats.
    All that we do as animators is determined by what choices we make using our freedom of choice and we stand or fall as a direct consequence.
    And it may be true that we are judged in the aftermath but I haven't got there yet, that I know of.
    Beyond the individual lives we lead I would conclude that we are indeed "cosmic recyclables" as souls and carry our lessons and liabilities with us from life to life for the purpose of perfecting ourselves as animators to enhance our abilities to assist in perfecting creation, the yin and the yang.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. George Layton

George Layton Silver Meritorious Patron

To live.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Teanntás

Teanntás Silver Meritorious Patron

One of the difficulties attendant on the question is, if I have a purpose, who gave it to me?

19. DagwoodGum

And then atheism flounders and flops in the dirt, gasping for breath like a fish out of water with not a drop in sight.

20. DagwoodGum

Could have just said To survive. Same Hubbardian reductionist rhetoric or pablum for pinheads that says nothing while implying everything...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 12:33 AM