The two Scientology languages

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Mimsey Borogrove, May 12, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Off and on I meet scientologists - and after meeting a person whom I suspected was one today, I was looking for clues. While he didn't drop any of the Classic Scientology Lingo (c) such as missed withhold, overt, thetan, yadda yadda - he did drop this indicator: "Well, basically we want to …" As I listened further another word or two popped up.

And as I drove away, it occurred to me there is this sub-glot - a second form of scientology lingo - one that sort of fits in with your average American usage of the language, but definitely has a Hubbardian / Org / Scio twist to it - but lacks the key terminology. For instance - I was chatting with a scio and he used the word outpoint. I think it would sorta fit into a "wog" conversation.

I am wondering what terminology you think would fly in everyday conversation but is pure - scio-speak.

Mimsey

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • List
  2. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

I never heard the word "validate," as in "Validate yourself, you're beautiful," until scn. I have certainly heard it used this way by non-scngsts since I got out, though.

When in scn I knew two women who had formerly been in est (Erhard Seminars Training). They said the expression "to make someone wrong" was familiar to them from est, and it was quite common to be told "You're making me wrong." I understand Erhard was a quickie Grade IV and had done a Comm Course in the late 60's, so he undoubtedly picked up some of the lingo.

I think some scn jargon has probably made it into general use through other "New Age" groups like est, that were influenced by scn but were more mainstream.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  3. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron with Honors

"That's not OK"
    "You NEED to" (...knock off your out-ethics, or whatever)
    "Get it handled"
    "What considerations do you have on that?"

4. Tanchi

Tanchi Patron with Honors

Hat. I'm never in, but reading about Hubbard's hats has niggled at me. I first heard this in 98 or 99, working in a hospital trying to streamline staff. Wearing many hats meant doing 3 or more people's job. And ...smile!!! Owhile wearing them. I had a bad dream about multiple hats on my head, weighing me down so I couldn't move.

I've heard it elsewhere since.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  5. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

I like your post but i don't get how "Well, basically we want to ..." is an indicator.

That's supposed to be Scientology jargon?

6. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Maybe it was the 'we' used in the conversation which (when added to the context) made Mimsey think the person was speaking as a member of a certain cult. Apparently further words then popped up that seemed to confirm it.

These days it seems there are a lot of politically motivated people (ie mini cults of SJW's masquerading as people of intelligence and deep caring ... who probably use the word 'we') proudly and noisily promoting their opinions. Personally, I'd be keeping a beady eye open for them before worrying about the occasional scientologist, because they are truly dangerous.

Call me cynical.

:(

7. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

"Hat" to refer to a job has been part of standard english for a while. From Oxford dictionary:

1.1 Used to refer to a particular role or occupation of someone who has more than one.​
    ‘wearing her scientific hat she is director of a pharmacology research group’

But notice, that the standard english usage was for somebody who has more than one role in a job, as distinct from the Scientology usage of "hat" being a job title with associated responsibilities. A subtle but important distinction.

8. Mimsey Borogrove

I have heard that "basically …" used many times when I was in - it was almost as frequently as using "like.." but I rarely hear it used as much out side of scientology. Basically you need to de-kludge your area. Basically, your stats are in the toilet. Basically, you are going to set up the chairs before the event. Basically, you need to get your trs in and stop backflashing me and get with the progam.

I dunno - am I basically wrong in that scio usage of the word?

Mimsey

9. Wilbur

I hear "obviously" used a lot in the 'wog' world, in the same circuit way. One time I was on the phone to a call centre person, who said "obviously" and then proceeded to tell me something that I would have had no way of knowing. I asked, "what's obvious about it?" and it shattered her circuit. I've also heard some people use 'basically' like that, so I don't think it's a Scientology thing (and I didn't hear it in Scientology when I was in). One person I know (non-Scientology) was nicknamed 'essentially' by someone else I know, because he prefaced everything with 'essentially'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  10. George Layton

George Layton Silver Meritorious Patron

Hell, you all sound like a bunch of fricken scientologists to me;)

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  11. Wilbur

Er, knock off the joking and degrading, get your ethics in and stop putting CIs on my lines, George.

12. pineapple

pineapple Patron Meritorious

How about "non-optimum"? I never heard that before scn.

13. And what about "cognition"? As a never-in, the only time I hear "cognition" is:

1. When a medical study talks about the fog of "chemo brain", which I personally experienced after beating cancer (2004-2005, Hodgkins' Lymphoma).
    2. When a medical expert talks about a condition like Down's Syndrome that makes a person "developmentally disabled" or "mentally retarded".
    3. When police or medical people talk about the mental faculties of someone who is drunk, or driving while drunk.

From reading this board, and many books written by people who have left the cult, it sounds like Scientologists have a "cognition" every fifteen seconds or so. Are they trying to sound like a medical expert who has had an article published in The Lancet or The Journal of the American Medical Association (or, heaven forbid, Psychology Today)?

As far as "non-optimum", I've heard that quite a few times. Mostly in the field of economics. Except I typically say "sub-optimal".

14. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

A while ago my local government council asked the public for comments on some works it is doing. This written reply caught my attention: "I am constantly impressed with the level of create the council takes to upgrade the Town.".

Level of create? I looked at the name of the writer and yes, it was someone I know who is a long-term scientologist.

15. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Gold Meritorious Sponsor

Really?

I hear people (non-Scientologists) using the word "basically" all the time.

Do you have a very small circle of people you talk to or do you basically not pay attention to what people are saying? LOL

By the way, it's all over the internet as well. . .

examples:

16. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

My favorite is “reasonable” which is a dope term Scientologists use. Unfortunately the Scientology dopes who use it cause confusion because they use it pejoratively..

17. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

Maybe we should all 'get hatted'...

[​IMG]

18. Mimsey Borogrove

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 5:38 AM
  19. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

I think Scientologists have become very self aware of their colloquial jargon problem and have become much more sophisticated about using it in public.

Instead of keywords you need to identify agenda. They will describe a Scientology agenda in woggish.

"We use statistics in business management".

"If you reward production you get more production, if you reward non-production you get more non-production".

"Mass shooting are caused by psychotropic drugs being pushed by psychiatry".

"Schools are not teaching, they are indoctrinating. They don't have a workable technology".

"Government is a burden to businesses and encroaching on religious freedom".

The best lies contain an element of truth. Each of these things may have validity but collectively they start to look like a Scientology agenda that is motivated by COS self interest and not out of concern for the general welfare.

When somebody starts talking about purpose, goals, targets and orders my ears pick up.