The Upside Down World of Scientology

Discussion in 'Mike Rinders Blog' started by RSS Feed, Jun 8, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. RSS Feed

RSS Feed RSS Feeder Bot

There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

The Upside Down World of Scientology

This is a microcosm of so many things inside the shrinking bubble world of scientology. Selling guy is trying to offload his “OT” bracelet (at a loss of course, anything scientology is ALWAYS overpriced) to get money to do the Purif. Probably REDO the Purif. After all he was “going OT” or was already OT […]

Continue reading...

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I'm being a bit picky, but the principle is as Mike stated. The example bracelet he showed says it's silver, with a gold plating.

It looks like such a bracelet weighs about 10 grams, so 14/24 of that is about 6 grams. I suppose I could dig up my silver Clear bracelet and weigh it, but I can't be bothered. 6 grams = 1/5 ounce (1 Troy ounce = 31 grams). Gold price is about $1340 right now, so the gold value of such a bracelet is probably about $275. In India, they sell gold jewellery (necklaces, bracelets etc) by gold weight, with minimal premium for the design, which I think is relevant but someone else might not.

Paul

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  3. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

I've just weighed mine and I make it a little over an ounce so about 30 grams give or take.

4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Ah. Thanks very much. So multiply my figure by 3 then, giving $750-ish for the gold melt value. Assuming it is actually 14ct gold and not plated tungsten or something.

Paul

5. Voodoo

Voodoo Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow

I never bought one of the things. I already had a silver pendant with the S and double triangle on it, which I wore on a neck chain at the time. That was good enough for me.

It was kind of unique, in that it wasn't produced by the church. I bought it at a little shop on Catalina Street, across the street from the Complex in 1977, before the church shut down such outside manufacture of goods with their trademarks on them.

I bought a bunch of cool stuff from those guys before they were shut down.

6. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

The Org also didn't like it when you bought Scn books at a used bookstore. I recall one in LA, forget exactly where, might have been on Hollywood Blvd, which had a well-stocked Scn section.