Tom Steiner passed away

Discussion in 'In Memory Of...' started by temporary address, Dec 3, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. temporary address

temporary address New Member

Tom Steiner died earlier this year, I think in about April 2018. He had been sick for awhile. As far as I know, Cathy Steiner is still running the Louisiana Narconon, but she is up there in age also (65 at least?)

2. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I was acquainted with Tom & Cathy on Riverside Mission staff (1970s) before they eventually went to Ventura.
    When their Ventura mission failed they joined Narconon and moved to Louisiana.

(BTW, I don't know if Jim Hamre went with them to Louisiana for awhile or not.)

3. Badafuco

Badafuco (<>..<>)

Wow, I did not know Tom passed away. I knew he had gone out there for a liver transplant and it was successful. Or so I thought.
    I have lived in Ventura for 38 years and did my purif, TRs&Os, and a crapload of tape and course books at the Ventura Mission. I was reg'd by Jim Hamre, Cathy Steiner, Claire something and Chris Baumgartner. They all locked me in a room and demanded credit cards and future paychecks for my Life Repair. I was 18! I ended up completing it up at the Santa Barbara org.

4. temporary address

temporary address New Member

Yes, I heard this from a Sea Org who was very close to Tom and Cathy.

5. pineapple

pineapple Silver Meritorious Patron

Welcome aboard, @Badafuco. I knew Tom, Cathy, and Jim Hamre slightly at the Riverside Mission in the 1970's. Cathy was Qual Sec at the time, I believe Tom was HCO. Jim Hamre (known as "The Hammer" :)) tried to reg me once, unsuccessfully. (I was young, had no money and no credit cards.)

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 3:19 AM
  6. Gib

Gib Crusader

you are missing a bit of history there PG.

When they left Ventura, they went to Stuttgart Mission in Germany to recover that, after that they were assigned to the SF Mission and they took over from Lynn Irons as Mission Holder.

During the time, SF Mission was recruiting lots of doc's such as dentist's and chiro's thru Wise connection of Singer & Sterling Management.

Lynn Irons and the Steiners hopped onto the bandwagon of money recruits into scientolgy. Just shortly thereafter when everything was going great, why the Time Article came out, and everything went south.

I know, I was there when it happened.

After all the docs asked for refunds, and we had to pay them back, it was a fuck'in nightmare, why the Steiners then went to Louisiana.

What I'm trying to say during the scene of refunds, which lasted a few years, is this. We had to get more people in to pay money for auditing and services, we sold them as clear packages to doc's at about $30K per package, but if you have more refunds then doc's buying clear packages, why we are in the hole, week after week.

Who was also in this game of getting doc's in was Orange County Org, and they had the same problem.

Eventually both the SF Mission and Orange County Org collapsed. Of course during this time, there were several people who had their heads put on pikes as the cause of down stats.

During this time which is the 1987 to 1992 time period is when Jefferson Hawkins did the Dianetics campaign on TV, it got a lot of people in, like me, but also these doc's from Wise and Sterling and Singer.

SF Mission under Lynn Irons was supposed to turn into a class 5 org and celebrity center in san francisco, I was recruited into that and moved from chicago to join the winning team. Many people as well moved from other states into joining the winning team.

In the end, it was a flop.

Anyways, that's part of my story.

The Steiners moved on to the next best thing, and made money themselves all the way along. I also know this since I worked in treasury at the SF Mission. Oh, some stories I could tell.

7. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

@Gib

Did you know anything about the so-called "Sarge movement" during your time when you were involved?

I don't mean to derail this thread (subtopic) but I guess Tom & Cathy must have known about it.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 4:58 AM
  8. Gib

Gib Crusader

nope, never heard of that.

The only thing thing I know of the name Sarge is from going clear book and Marty's blog.

I've never heard of a Sarge Movement.