Tony Ortega: The Atlantic Magazine Becomes Scientology’s Newest “Ideal Org”

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by CommunicatorIC, Jan 15, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Yes, I see it now. Thanks! It just took forever for the page to load on my computer.

2. rhansrider

rhansrider Patron with Honors

It would be very interesting to know what heads will roll at the magazine. Undoubtedly the sales guy who let the cult buy the ad. Major magazines do not appreciate being made into a headline joke by actions of underlings.

It would also be very interesting to know if any of the employees involved in getting the ad published were Scilons. In the past that is how cult press releases snuck into various media.

3. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

It wouldn't surprise me to find that at least one person was RPF'ed as a result of this foot bullet. DM probably is furious over this matter.

4. Anonolily

Anonolily Patron

Normally I would say more than one, but he must be running low on staff by now.

5. not much of a flap

after all it involves no misadventure whatsoever on the part of CoS

6. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

Mmm hmmm. Yeah. :yawn:

7. wake me up when the killin' starts

8. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

The magazine went as far as editing out critical comments. That makes me suspicious...along with the fact that the advertorial got printed in the first place. I am guessing there would be more than one person who had to be involved in the original decision to print the advertorial and that it would naturally have been questioned, so someone had to "handle the CI, make it go right, get the product, report the 'done' and put the stat on the graph".

9. Wants2Talk

Wants2Talk Silver Meritorious Patron

http://news.yahoo.com/why-people-saying-lawrence-wrights-scientology-book-great-182851832.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CRwKPdQrggAZzvQtDMD

Why People Are Saying Lawrence Wright's Scientology Book Is So Great
    By Esther Zuckerman | The Atlantic Wire – 3 hrs ago

Lawrence Wright's long look at Scientology, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood & the Prison of Belief, is set for release tomorrow, and reviews, for the most part, have been overwhelmingly positive. But why? Lawrence is only the latest high-profile investigation into the underbelly of Scientology, following big heaves by St. Petersburg (now Tampa Bay) Times and Janet Reitman's landmark book Inside Scientology. While those who have read Wright's effort already have not reported any bombshell revelations, they are full of raves. How does it stand out? Well, here's what critics have to say: ...

10. Thrak

Thrak Gold Meritorious Patron

It was a big one but I'd still have to say the Debbie Cook trial had to take the caek. :cake:

But there are just so many I think I've forgotten half of them. Scientology will forever be remembered as the supreme master of foot-bullets. I mean their genius just never ceases to amaze.

11. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

That would make a good thread (if it doesn't already exist). The TOP 100 Footbullets :coolwink:

12. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Wired: The Atlantic, Scientology, and the Theft of Credibility

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/01/the-atlantic-scientology-and-stolen-credibility/

Very good article. Excerpts:

13. Sassy

Sassy Patron Meritorious

I wonder if they had to issue a refund?? I also wonder why they chose this publication & how many they had to approach before
    finding someone who actually said YES.

Anyone know what the cost of the ad may have been & how long it was to run?

14. Lohan2008

Lohan2008 Gold Meritorious Patron

15. Idle Morgue

Idle Morgue Gold Meritorious Patron

Excellent TWEET Synthia! Fricken AWESOME!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

16. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

The TOP 100 Footbullets - Yes. Someone start that one please!

17. Thrak

Thrak Gold Meritorious Patron

I was thinking a poll but I don't think you could list as many things as you need to.

18. now that i think about it...

there might be some skulldggery there, bribe(s), subterfuge to get it past the watchdog nd the hired help

who is editor in chief?

he or she ultimately is personnally responsible for the entire content and may not plead ignorance

19. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Lovely line from gawker article:

:clap:

http://gawker.com/5976669/journalis...i-teo-finding-the-leper-with-the-most-fingers

20. I hope they don't give them a refund and when the Church asks for one they are told that if they give them a refund they a barred forever from advertising anywhere.

Wouldn't that be cool.

The Anabaptist Jacques