What's new

Typical Day at Int

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Mike,

Okay... I can't hold it in any longer... I'm dying to know. Why did you pick "Extortionist of the Church"? (Or maybe I'm a dummy and missed it somewhere.)

It helps to laugh at them when they get serious on you. In their rebuttal video produced to dead-agent the BBC Panorama program, which my wife and I participated in, we were shown on their security cameras touring the BBC around downtown Clearwater. The CofS didn't like it. They called us "extortionists" in the video, because in a moment of pique my wife mentioned something she might consider if she did not get some action out of them on her refund demand. To their way of thinking that was extortion. So, in fun, I now wear the title proudly and am to be addressed by my proper title at all state functions which require orb and scepter. EXTORTIONIST OF THE CHURCH. Has a nice ring, doesn't it?

IllegalPC

Melanie

My sister Melanie was ED LA F for years, then was removed and put in as PES , where she still is. It was quite an upset for her I remember, as she was OEC/FEBC trained, and had personally built up the org, but it wasn't fast enough for some people. My sister Chel wound up after OT 8 joining staff at LA Org and became the President, taking over Hebers post locally.
Forgive me for being off topic. I'm new to this board, this is my first post, and while I've lurked here and elsewhere for a long time, I'm not sure of the protocol.

I'm responding in, and to, this thread because (and indeed I signed up for this message board only because) I saw you (OHTEEATE) mention your sister, Melanie, and to an admittedly lesser extent because I saw you mention Chel, who I also knew. I've lurked on ARS, Clambake and now, here, for years, and never "signed up." However, when I saw your post about Melanie, I had an "OMG" moment and had to respond.

I knew Melanie (and later, through her, and to a much lesser extent, Chel), when Melanie was ED of LAF, when she was busted, and when she came back as PES. She was somebody who I liked, respected and cared for very much. (Which allowed her to reg the hell out of me, lol, but that was ok because I knew what she was doing, knew that she believed, and quite frankly wanted to help her to the extent I could.) I was very upset when she was busted and, to be honest, very angry. I was pissed.

I also had a lot of guilt because I had caused a fairly significant ethics flap (no actual, real or intended harm, but boy did it feed into SO paranoia) on her watch, and I was sick at the idea that I contributed to her downfall. (I wound up doing an ethics program and continuing as public for awhile.)

I recall that when Melanie was busted she wasn't immediately put in the PES position. She was in limbo for awhile while there was an investigation, she did a program, etc. I also recall that they removed her as ED right before her five year contract was up. I always thought they expected her to not renew her contract and to go away quietly. I think they were surprised when she renewed and took the PES position. I was enormously impressed when she sucked it up, renewed, and took the PES job. That had to be very painful.

I also recall that, with one exception, when Melanie was in the "limbo" state, no-one other than members of her family (Melanie's husband and Chel) would talk to her, at least socially. Not SO, not LA staff, not public. No one, except me.

Obviously, she hadn't been declared, so there was no disconnection order, but there did seem to be a formal or informal suspension of communication. (I have a vague memory of it being some formal, if unwritten, order or policy.)

I remember there was an event, and other than her husband and Chel, the only person to approach Melanie, talk to her, or sit with her, was me. I made a point of sitting with her. Given my own history, it probably did more harm than good, and she seemed perhaps mildly embarrassed by it, but, like I said, I really liked her and cared about her, and wasn't about to abandon her. I recall Melanie, her husband, Chel and yes, on the end, me, lol, sitting together sort of apart from everyone. I was so pissed at the staff and public.

I always thought that Melanie was the best that Scientology had to offer. She really cared for her public and staff. I knew other public who really loved her. Also, my perception was that she acted as a surrogate mother for some of the young staff members. Which is why it is so upsetting seeing someone like her so heartlessly busted.

Alas, life goes on. Melanie forgave me my overts, took the PES position, did her best as always, and I eventually blew (again). (Only to come back again. Only to blow again. But that is another story.)

I don't know if people here will be able to understand what I'm about to say. Some it will make angry. But there is a part of me that is happy to hear that Melanie is still the PES IF that is still what makes her feel happy and fulfilled. Melanie is one of those beautiful idealists who see the good in Scientology (and there has to be some good, or it wouldn't keep well-intentioned idealists like Melanie for years) and think that if she just works hard enough, the beautiful future for all will be at hand. I wouldn't want her to be deprived of that which gives her life purpose and meaning before she is ready.

There is, however, another part of me that is naturally worried and concerned about her still being in the COS. I hope, OHTEEATE, that you are not disconnected from Melanie because you are posting here, and thus an ex-scientologist. That would make me very sad and, yes, angry. Pissed off, actually.

I know this is a public forum. (I couldn't find any direct contact information for you. Then again, you won't find any for me. lol :nervous: ) And you don't know me from adam. But if you have any info regarding how Melanie is doing, etc., that you would feel comfortable sharing, I would appreciate it. Also, is Chel still in? Either way, how is she doing? When Melanie was going through her troubles, I recall her son was joining the SO. Is he still in? Doing? And Melanie's husband?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I know this is a public forum. (I couldn't find any direct contact information for you. Then again, you won't find any for me. lol :nervous: ) And you don't know me from adam. But if you have any info regarding how Melanie is doing, etc., that you would feel comfortable sharing, I would appreciate it. Also, is Chel still in? Either way, how is she doing? When Melanie was going through her troubles, I recall her son was joining the SO. Is he still in? Doing? And Melanie's husband?

You can use the 'Send PM' button at the bottom of the post (by Oat)

Zinj

albert036

Patron
Hi Albert,

You're welcome. And welcome to the board. This is quite the place. (You from PAC or BPI? Me from Int or Gold.)

You can practically find out exactly what is going on at Int and other places here. There's a bit of a comm lag as people get used to the idea of being able to tell their stories and information, but it's getting less and less as we go. Probably better informed here than ever was while in Scn...

And for sure better entertained! (Unless you are a sado-masochist by nature, in which case I recommend doing your A to E and getting back into the SO.)

V

Totally true! This message board has answered so many questions.... I remember seeing some people on the decks or heard about some of the things you posted here and you got the rest of the story. They are great stories by the way.

I'll answer your question on a PM to keep my entity secret.

Little Bear Victor

Silver Meritorious Patron
Totally true! This message board has answered so many questions.... I remember seeing some people on the decks or heard about some of the things you posted here and you got the rest of the story. They are great stories by the way.

I'll answer your question on a PM to keep my entity secret.

Oukidouki. Talk to you there.

V

everfree

Patron Meritorious
Just wanted to say that one of my dearest friends was staff under Melanie at LAF and although eventually became disillusioned with staff in general never had anything but the nicest things to say about Melanie herself.