What's new

VIDEO: Ex-Church Members Reveal What Scientology Cost Them (the Losing Game)

Anonycat

Crusader
In December, we debuted two videos by Tiziano Lugli, a Los Angeles music producer and filmmaker. They were short, witty looks at Scientology's funny language as spoken by numerous ex-church members and a few actors.

There are no actors in Tiziano's new video, which he is premiering today.

In The Losing Game, Lugli has asked ex-Scientologists to talk about what they lost after spending years in the church. You might recognize some of them, including Marc Headley, Jenna Miscavige Hill, Karen de la Carriere, Tory Christman, Michael Fairman, and Mike Rinder.

We think you'll see why Tiziano wanted to wait some time after his last videos to release The Losing Game. It packs a punch.

[video=youtube;fgDVuYrx1sA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fgDVuYrx1sA[/video]

Full article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-ortega/video-exchurch-members-re_b_2882912.html

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Powerful stuff. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the post.

It's true, everyone goes into scientology to win. And almost everyone comes out having lost.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
(cross posted from the Stupid Thread)

[video=youtube;fgDVuYrx1sA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgDVuYrx1sA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Very cool video! A compelling case for not blithely attempting amateurishly reckless "experiments" with one's own mind and life using Scientology.

There is also something entirely unfathomable about Independent Scientologists collaborating on such a media project against Scientology, the very tech they are so happy to be promoting when they are not making devastating anti-tech videos.

I know, I know, I know, they are only against the "CHURCH" of Scientology, not the tech.

But, that's not what the video is about. If it is shown to 1000 wogs who are then asked what the takeaway is, 999 say: "Scientology is dangerous and crazy."

There is a diabolical dissonance that seems to accompany Scientologists of any denomination (COS, Indie, et al) whenever they apply the "tech", because it inevitably is destructive to the "tech"!

Scientology: It's so far beyond footbullets that an entirely new word has to be created. Foolbullets.

There must be some kind of natural law in play wherein the only thing necessary to make an ex-Scientologist is to apply enough tech.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
(cross posted from the Stupid Thread)

[video=youtube;fgDVuYrx1sA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgDVuYrx1sA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Very cool video! A compelling case for not blithely attempting amateurishly reckless "experiments" with one's own mind and life using Scientology.

There is also something entirely unfathomable about Independent Scientologists collaborating on such a media project against Scientology, the very tech they are so happy to be promoting when they are not making devastating anti-tech videos.

I know, I know, I know, they are only against the "CHURCH" of Scientology, not the tech.

But, that's not what the video is about. If it is shown to 1000 wogs who are then asked what the takeaway is, 999 say: "Scientology is dangerous and crazy."

There is a diabolical dissonance that seems to accompany Scientologists of any denomination (COS, Indie, et al) whenever they apply the "tech", because it inevitably is destructive to the "tech"!

Scientology: It's so far beyond footbullets that an entirely new word has to be created. Foolbullets.

There must be some kind of natural law in play wherein the only thing necessary to make an ex-Scientologist is to apply enough tech.

Yes it is a "diabolical dissonance" when good folk keep clinging to aspects of the damaging mentally controlling system. It is taking me a great deal of time and information-seeking to comprehend.

Is there some sort of "natural law" in play when something that can destroy and create so much pain, is still clung to, even if only in some small way? Can this "clinging" be called foolishness or stupidity? Or is it (the clinging) actually merely a part of the actual control system itself?

The pure trauma that is often (mostly) caused when the whole system is abandoned in one swift maneuver, is indescribable. I know this because I did this and lost my mind and my whole sense of myself. I now firmly believe Hubbard designed the trap this way - to hold mental slaves and ensure they never dare to let go of the mental prison without extreme suffering. To break out of the mental prison, totally, in one swift move, is excruciating. One simply cannot comprehend "life outside the mental prison" so seeks comfort, relief, etc, by clinging to the installed thoughts of the cult system.

Even when one does break out of the mental prison, it takes an enormous amount of work to shed the remnants of the "prison walls" (thought-stopping automaticities) and most folk, imho, just want to get on with life and glaze over that which is lurking within them - a mentally controlling system which has violated them on so many levels.

It is easier to assign abuse (spiritual, sexual, etc) to an external event/person. Mind-control such as the scientology system is abuse. It takes deep internal exploration and self-honesty to dig in and find one's own truth, independent of any external information.

Imho, this is why abuse can remain "live and well" - the dissonance it creates is so fierce and it is easier for the individual to deny it and totter off into life without a true deep inspection of what the hell has really happened.

I have no idea if this makes an atom of sense. I am actually in the middle of some deep exploration on this stuff so this is my first - perhaps feeble - attempt to share these ideas. Good luck reading it. lol.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
That is one hell of a video ... it reaches into places I didn't know I had.

Sallydance, what you say does make sense and I wish I knew the answer, all I know is we all seem to 'de-cultify' in the way that feels best for us as individuals and for some it seems to be fast, efficient and thorough, for others it isn't even an issue.

I believe that the more you lose (while in the cult) the quicker the urge to be rid of the whole thing, once the decision is made, but many people don't make that basic decision for reasons of their own that I don't understand ... and don't need to.

This video is heart-wrenching and I hope as many people as possible see it.

:yes:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
That is one hell of a video ... it reaches into places I didn't know I had.

Sallydance, what you say does make sense and I wish I knew the answer, all I know is we all seem to 'de-cultify' in the way that feels best for us as individuals and for some that's fast, efficient and thorough for others it isn't even an issue.

I believe that the more you lose (while in the cult) the quicker the urge to be rid of the whole thing, once the decision is made.

This video is heart-wrenching and I hope as many people as possible see it.

:yes:

Yes it is heart-wrenching.

This is what I see:

People who have been manipulated away from their own essence, their inherent loving selves, with lies and promises of "eternal freedom", of a world without war, insanity, etc, etc. Yes there are exceptions - some folk who cling to scientology were born arseholes and will die arseholes but most folk are just doing the best they can and making an honest attempt at something they see as worthwhile.

One of my deep key inner journeys has been to really face how far the system took me from my true inner loving self. How greatly I had denied to myself, my own inner love and capacity to live a wholesome, kind, compassionate life without the need for the external ideas of others. It turns out I was way way way out of connection with my own true inner self and sucking up the kool aid greedily as I pretended I wasn't enough and that others had better ideas, better this, better that, than I could offer myself.

To love myself so little enabled an abuse pattern where others could bend me to their own agendas. Those that truly know themselves, truly love themselves (I do NOT mean in a self-absorbed narcissistic way) are immune to the abuses and stupidity of others. Or so it is turning out to be in my own life which is going bloody brilliantly since I gazed so honestly at my own navel. lol.

When I observe those that are still in the Hubbard circle (at whatever level) I sense I am observing folk that do not truly madly deeply love themselves and who need an external "fix" to soothe something deep within that they struggle to face. For that, I find forgiveness and compassion and wish them well on their way home to themselves. May the damage they cause others - and themselves - be limited.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

This is what I see:

People who have been manipulated away from their own essence, their inherent loving selves, with lies and promises of "eternal freedom", of a world without war, insanity, etc, etc. Yes there are exceptions - some folk who cling to scientology were born arseholes and will die arseholes but most folk are just doing the best they can and making an honest attempt at something they see as worthwhile.

One of my deep key inner journeys has been to really face how far the system took me from my true inner loving self. How greatly I had denied to myself, my own inner love and capacity to live a wholesome, kind, compassionate life without the need for the external ideas of others. It turns out I was way way way out of connection with my own true inner self and sucking up the kool aid greedily as I pretended I wasn't enough and that others had better ideas, better this, better that, than I could offer myself.

To love myself so little enabled an abuse pattern where others could bend me to their own agendas. Those that truly know themselves, truly love themselves (I do NOT mean in a self-absorbed narcissistic way) are immune to the abuses and stupidity of others. Or so it is turning out to be in my own life which is going bloody brilliantly since I gazed so honestly at my own navel. lol.

When I observe those that are still in the Hubbard circle (at whatever level) I sense I am observing folk that do not truly madly deeply love themselves and who need an external "fix" to soothe something deep within that they struggle to face. For that, I find forgiveness and compassion and wish them well on their way home to themselves. May the damage they cause others - and themselves - be limited.

Yes, I could often feel the real person underneath the hubbard system they (we) were entrenched in (not always) ... it's sad and a waste of time that now has to be clawed back if we're to arrive at a worthwhile destination, but we're back on the road now and maybe all that rummaging around in hubbards drivel made us more aware of what really matters?

Hope so ...

:flowers:

smartone

My Own Boss
What an impinging video. Less is more. It's brilliant. If only this could be shown on TV along with the ads.

HelluvaHoax!

This is what I see:

You reach deep and so honestly!

What an odyssey Scientology is. As I have mentioned before during my Sunday sermons, Scientology hijacks your soul and then leases it back to you in installments.

Being far less patient than yourself, I naturally looked for a shortcut back to "self". LOL. And I found at least one of them which is to forever step off the treadmill of allowing Scientologists to HANDLE, CORRECT & INVESTIGATE me. The relief was instant, profound and ever-expanding.

What I didn't realize when I first found that quick fix is that I would eventually discover that I also needed to stop HANDLING, CORRECTING & INVESTIGATING myself. Talk about bad hangovers! LOL. But, seriously, that one alone solved 90% of the problem!

Love to you and all who journey back from the cult abyss.

HelluvaHoax!

What an impinging video. Less is more. It's brilliant.

If only this could be shown on TV along with the ads.

If I was directing that TV commercial it would end with the exploding Dianetics volcano, but run in reverse with all the meretricious, molten magma put back inside.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious
In December, we debuted two videos by Tiziano Lugli, a Los Angeles music producer and filmmaker. They were short, witty looks at Scientology's funny language as spoken by numerous ex-church members and a few actors.

There are no actors in Tiziano's new video, which he is premiering today.

In The Losing Game, Lugli has asked ex-Scientologists to talk about what they lost after spending years in the church. You might recognize some of them, including Marc Headley, Jenna Miscavige Hill, Karen de la Carriere, Tory Christman, Michael Fairman, and Mike Rinder.

We think you'll see why Tiziano wanted to wait some time after his last videos to release The Losing Game. It packs a punch.

[video=youtube;fgDVuYrx1sA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fgDVuYrx1sA[/video]

Full article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-ortega/video-exchurch-members-re_b_2882912.html

Wow. Short, Sour, and to the ugly point. :clap:

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
I lost my mom, dad, three sisters, a brother, all my nieces and nephews, my daughter, my son, my college education, a wife and twenty three years of my life as a young man. :duh:

Gib

Crusader
I lost my mom, dad, three sisters, a brother, all my nieces and nephews, my daughter, my son, my college education, a wife and twenty three years of my life as a young man. :duh:

I hear yah.

In the Financial World of stocks, bonds, etc it's called Opportunity Lost. Lost from having missed out on the stock that went up big time because all your money was in a loser stock that you believed in and believed it was going to rise in value, and one believes in the stock because of the PR generated by the company, but one somehow misses the cold hard facts of stats.

My bad as well as your bad.

While I haven't lost anybody yet, but I have lost time from attention on the bridge to nowhere for 26 years, the constant on my mind how I'm gonna make money to afford it and if I miss out, the life decisions I made in jobs and careers to fulfill going up the bridge. The friends and family I did not communicate with because of my involvement in scientology, the lost opportunities are endless. For a product that does not deliver in the long run.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, I could often feel the real person underneath the hubbard system they (we) were entrenched in (not always) ... it's sad and a waste of time that now has to be clawed back if we're to arrive at a worthwhile destination, but we're back on the road now and maybe all that rummaging around in hubbards drivel made us more aware of what really matters?

Hope so ...

:flowers:

But how glorious the clawing back of self can be. As I have shed the layers of self-defensive righteous crap and stopped clinging to the beautifully gift-wrapped delusions of some horribly fucked up "teacher", I have felt intense joy. There has been much laughter and wonder as I take the ultimate deep ride home to self, sans anyone interfering. So very different, so very raw, real and authentic! My "outer edges" fascinate me. lol.

Hubbard's hierarchical mental system provided me with a sandpit to play in - for quite a few years. Then I grew up and grew wings! Hubbard provided me with brilliant contrasts - dark, light; hate, love; cages, true freedom; trauma, harmony...

Imho, there are great lessons to learn from the scientology experience, however the lessons are not viewable without deep excavation (profound navel gazing required :wink2:) and sure as hell aren't what is being sold.

Definition: scientology is the art of deception and spiritual seduction, refined.

You reach deep and so honestly!

What an odyssey Scientology is. As I have mentioned before during my Sunday sermons, Scientology hijacks your soul and then leases it back to you in installments.

Being far less patient than yourself, I naturally looked for a shortcut back to "self". LOL. And I found at least one of them which is to forever step off the treadmill of allowing Scientologists to HANDLE, CORRECT & INVESTIGATE me. The relief was instant, profound and ever-expanding.

What I didn't realize when I first found that quick fix is that I would eventually discover that I also needed to stop HANDLING, CORRECTING & INVESTIGATING myself. Talk about bad hangovers! LOL. But, seriously, that one alone solved 90% of the problem!

Love to you and all who journey back from the cult abyss.

The bad hangover you speak of – know it too well. Stop navel gazing Sally, you are boring even yourself!

And so... I now actively practice ultra spiritual, deep, meaningful and profoundly, um, profound, stuff, which goes like this:

Fresh peaches (late summer treat), sliced carefully into a bowl. When eating, allow juice to go down front of clothing. Do. Not. Care!

Follow with chilled chocolate.

Wash down with exquisitely roasted coffee in a beautiful bone-china cup.

Blend together with jazz music filling the room, though jazz is optional - any type of music is acceptable.

Freedom! :flowers:

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Powerful stuff. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the post.

It's true, everyone goes into scientology to win. And almost everyone comes out having lost.

^^^^ This one.

While it is true that many - probably by far MOST -come out of it having lost a lot, some came out of it quite happy with what they got.

I have been out of the CofS for 30 years now. Not for a single moment have I ever regretted the years I was in for. Never for a single moment have I ever regretted leaving.

Outside of the CofS I did much much more, and better, Scientology than I ever did while in it.

And I am happy with what I gave and I'm happy with what I got.

Sallydannce said something about "having to give up your freedom to love and relate to others outside" - words to that effect - I never gave that up, ever. My family ties were always more important to me that the CofS. I fought my family to retain my right to be in Scio, and when the Org made the faintest hint of my family being not OK I fought them like I was a lioness protecting its cubs.

I never drank the koolaid, and I love the subject. The real subject - not the crap.

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron

I should add that all is not gloom.

Since leaving Scientology I returned to school and learned computer technology and have a job in IT. I re-married and my wife and I have a son who is 10 and such a blessing to us both. I got back in communication with my son from the first marriage and bonded with him. I am in good communication with my ex wife and both she and my son are now very happy and permanently out of the cult.

When I married my wife Chris I inherited her family which includes a brother, sister, mom and dad, two nieces, two nephews, and my wife's daughter from an earlier marriage. None of our money contributes to the growth of Scientology in any way and I am happier today than at any time in Scientology. :yes:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Tiziano – thank you.

And thank you to everybody who speaks from their heart in the video – Christie, Mike, Michael, Nancy, Mark, Jenna, Joy, Tory, Karen, Jamie, and others whose names I don’t know.

TG1

TG1

Angelic Poster
P.S. That video should be a public service announcement on Web sites, television stations and in movie theaters.

HelluvaHoax!

The bad hangover you speak of – know it too well. Stop navel gazing Sally, you are boring even yourself!

And so... I now actively practice ultra spiritual, deep, meaningful and profoundly, um, profound, stuff, which goes like this:

Fresh peaches (late summer treat), sliced carefully into a bowl. When eating, allow juice to go down front of clothing. Do. Not. Care!

Follow with chilled chocolate.

Wash down with exquisitely roasted coffee in a beautiful bone-china cup.

Blend together with jazz music filling the room, though jazz is optional - any type of music is acceptable.

Freedom! :flowers:

:hattip::hattip::hattip: YAYYYYY!!! :hattip::hattip::hattip:

My hat is off to you. All my hats. I don't even have a
hat pack any more, so go ahead, write a KR on me already! lol