What's new

Wacky Stuff

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
I hope for this thread to be a collection of the well, wacky stuff, that went on and goes on in Scn.

My first contribution is "Excessive Clapping". During events or some meetings in Scn often there will be some type of salute to Ron and then the clapping begins, and goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on ... well those that were there will remember.

Sometimes the clapping will start to die down but then the tempo will rise again and those that wanted to be perceived as the most dedicated members will keep the tempo going, and then the rest of us that really think it was time for the clapping to die down were caught in a trap as we don't want to be perceived as a less enthusiastic member so then we would keep up the clapping.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Chinese School:

Taking some LRH policy and putting on a large board. Having all of the staff at a muster have it read out to them, then they have to repeat it, word for word.

And usually, they want you to scream it. Loud as you can. Over and over and over.

(Here is one I still remember verbatim, 8 years later:) "Give good service. Give the people what they came for. Schedule their time briskly and oversee their progress alertly. Look at the students and pcs every week and see how they look and act accordingly"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!! Again!!! LOUDER this time!!!):confused2:

Wisened One

Crusader
Chinese school,God!

PRODUCTION IS THE BASIS OF MORALE, IN THE ABSENCE OF PRODUCTION, YOU'LL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MORALE.....

I hated chinese-schooling all the time!!!

Wisened One

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Event aerobics" - that constant stand up and clap. Then sit down for 5 minutes and do it again. Up and down, up and down. It's worse than a Catholic ceremony. At least at a Catholic ceremony you get to kneel.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
The Kali Ceremony

Cathy Cariotaki presided over a new ritual that was invented as punishment for auditors who goofed up -- the ritual of sacrifice to the goddess Kali, goddess of death and destruction. An alter, with a hideous painting of Kali over it was built in the internship classroom. If an auditor had a bad exam report, the following ceremony would take place in a candlelit room:

A chorus of other interns and auditors would sing a hymn to the goddess Kali, sung to the tune of "Rock of Ages". The offender would come forward and kneel before the alter and say he/she was a worshipper of the goddess Kali and wanted chaos, death and destruction. The person was then given a knife and a fake preclear and told to "stab the preclear", at which time the person had to thrust the knife into the folder. I had to participate in such a ceremony twice. It was very humiliating and upsetting. We all deeply resented what was happening, but nobody dared to speak up or refuse to participate. Such refusal would probably result in getting kicked off the ship in disgrace, a fate worse than any punishment

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/pignotti/

Zinj

ozzie

Patron with Honors
That same Kali ceremony was done for management staff on the ship. It was horrible and many freaked over doing it - only they had to "destroy" orgs. That ceremony, if I remember correctly, was ordered from the top.
Weird, freaky stuff!
Other weird freaky stuff - "gang bang" sec checks - I had the pleasure of having one - talk about intimidating, accusative and downright mean! Talk about being yelled at but numerous people while holding the cans and told about all these horrible overts you have supposedly committed. All of which of course were not true.
That pretty much told me that "management" didn't give a turd about anyone. Even the "auditor" couldn't look at me without utter sympathy about what was being done. I told her it was wrong - she looked away - ha! talk about auditor TRs!!!

From my understanding these "gang bangs" are still done.

Ozzie

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
Chinese School:

And usually, they want you to scream it. Loud as you can. Over and over and over.

(Here is one I still remember verbatim, 8 years later:) "Give good service. Give the people what they came for. Schedule their time briskly and oversee their progress alertly. Look at the students and pcs every week and see how they look and act accordingly"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!! Again!!! LOUDER this time!!!):confused2:

Yes, Chinese School. I don't know that they ever really did this in China, but this Scn method is the shouting, as a group, of something that they want memorized.

There was the points of Keeping Scientology Working:
HAVING THE TECHNOLOGY! :bwahaha:
KNOWING THE TECHNOLOGY! :bwahaha:
KNOWING IT IS CORRECT! :bwahaha:
and so on.

The organization board levels of awareness
RECOGNITION! :bwahaha:
COMMUNICATION! :bwahaha:
and so on.

Then
WHO IS SOURCE! :bwahaha:
L RON HUBBARD! :bwahaha:
WHO IS SOURCE! :bwahaha:
L RON HUBBARD! :bwahaha:

HIP HIP! :bwahaha:
HOORAY! :bwahaha:

Then of course: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yes, Chinese School. I don't know that they ever really did this in China, but this Scn method is the shouting, as a group, of something that they want memorized.

Well, it works, doesn't it?

I can probably still parrot off the awareness levels and the divisional VFPs after 30 years.

Paul

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
I hope for this thread to be a collection of the well, wacky stuff, that went on and goes on in Scn.

My first contribution is "Excessive Clapping". During events or some meetings in Scn often there will be some type of salute to Ron and then the clapping begins, and goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on ... well those that were there will remember.

Sometimes the clapping will start to die down but then the tempo will rise again and those that wanted to be perceived as the most dedicated members will keep the tempo going, and then the rest of us that really think it was time for the clapping to die down were caught in a trap as we don't want to be perceived as a less enthusiastic member so then we would keep up the clapping.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, plus someone might notice us and take down a note about it -- we might get called into ethics.

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
Well, it works, doesn't it?

I can probably still parrot off the awareness levels and the divisional VFPs after 30 years.

Paul

Rub a dub dub, three men in a tub. Who do you think they be? The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, and all of them gone to sea. Yes, repetitive utterances do work.

Adults shouting the same thing repetitively works as well, it's just, in the spirit of this thread, a bit whacky.
:yes:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Roll backs.

IAS events where they tell you that you can't leave yet.

Regges who tell you that seeing them is compulsory.

The Pro metering course. People who already were intern'd professional auditors were made to do this stupid course. I saw seasoned classed auditors spend weeks on it- FULL TIME. Academy Level students spent MONTHS on it.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It's called 'Brainwashing' :D

Wisened One

I don't think Chinese School is brainwashing. For one thing, they only work on one point at a time and it does not even comprise a tenth of a person's training on whatever course he's on.

For another, it's generally memorization of a key concept. It's not anything like having a tape played while you're sleeping that says"

"Oh, I'm glad I'm a beta. We're so much smarter than the deltas..." etc

My husband used to chinese school his students in the dictionary definition of standard. Had it been brainwashing, I think it would have been more like "hubbard is great. He is never wrong." or come to think of it...the points of KSW1 would be good for that...talk about brainwashing!

Wisened One

Crusader
Fluffy: Agreed. When I typed that, I knew it wasn't really brainwashing....SO glad am done with all that chinese schooling and drilling tone-levels, tho!

Wisened One

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I don't think Chinese School is brainwashing. For one thing, they only work on one point at a time and it does not even comprise a tenth of a person's training on whatever course he's on.

For another, it's generally memorization of a key concept. It's not anything like having a tape played while you're sleeping that says"

"Oh, I'm glad I'm a beta. We're so much smarter than the deltas..." etc

My husband used to chinese school his students in the dictionary definition of standard. Had it been brainwashing, I think it would have been more like "hubbard is great. He is never wrong." or come to think of it...the points of KSW1 would be good for that...talk about brainwashing!

I suppose chewing food isn't eating until you swallow it. Or driving a car isn't driving until you pull away from the curb.

Zinj

lrnobs

Patron with Honors

Ok, "THAT'S IT!"

When I hear some say "that's it" today it still turns my head in interest and recalls an "earlier similar" :)

For the uninitiated this phrase is uttered with volume and authority to cause all small talk to cease before courses or meetings begin and sometimes at the end.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Wisened one,

I think the thing about CofS academies and courserooms is that, at least for me, they seem to be places where one experiences duress.

I understand that there should be rules about running a courseroom in any venue, CofS or not- but I often thought the way they scream at people for being late is freakin' insane. When I went to night school to take some law classes, I never was stood over and screamed at and sent to ethics if I was late. It was understood that we were all adults, all paying to be there, and that we should be there when indicated. And we were. And we didn't need any policy or HCOB or contracted staff member to make us do it.

I think the mistake they make often in CofS- even those who really care- is to treat people like kids. I really resented it.

There was no flexibility, it was always "Hubbard says".

This is probably (one of several reasons) why a lot of people are glad to not be studying that stuff anymore.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I understand that there should be rules about running a courseroom in any venue, CofS or not- but I often thought the way they scream at people for being late is freakin' insane.

I sent lots of people to ethics for being late when I was a sup. In ten years, I don't recall raising my voice to a single one of them.

Paul

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
I sent lots of people to ethics for being late when I was a sup. In ten years, I don't recall raising my voice to a single one of them.

Paul

I've never heard a sup scream. The screaming starts when they get in the ethics officers office.