What's new

What is a Breatharian?

rich

Silver Meritorious Patron
If you look at sungazing on youtube it is the same thing. They get energy from the sun and earth. Once they are expert they don't have to eat.I enjoy sun gazing but I have only lost a little weight and I can't seem to give up ice cream.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
An Australian breatharian hoaxer who uses the name Jasmuheen won the bent spoon award for failing to stand up to scrutiny. A list of other winners is here.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Sorry to interrupt the joking, but . . .

Excerpted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prahlad_Jani:

Prahlad Jani, also known as "Mataji", is an Indian sadhu (born Chunriwala Mataji, 13 August 1929 in Charada, Mehsana district). He claims to have lived without food and water since 1940, and says that the goddess Amba sustains him.

. . .

The team studied Jani with daily clinical examinations, blood tests, and scans. Round-the-clock surveillance was reportedly followed using multiple CCTV cameras and personal observation. The researchers say that Jani was taken out of the sealed room for tests and exposure to sun under continuous video recording.[15] According to the researchers, Jani's only contact with any form of fluid was said to be during gargling and occasional bathing starting from the 5th day of observation, and the toilet in Jani's room was sealed to test his claim that he did not need to urinate or defecate.[2]

After fifteen days of observation during which he reportedly did not eat, drink or go to the toilet, all medical tests on Jani were reported as normal[15] and researchers described him as being in better health than someone half his age.[2] The doctors reported that although the amount of liquid in Jani's bladder fluctuated and that Jani appeared "able to generate urine in his bladder",[14] he did not pass urine. Based on Jani's reported levels of leptin and ghrelin, two appetite-related hormones, DRDO researchers posited that Jani may be demonstrating an extreme form of adaptation to starvation and water restriction.[16]​

Paul

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I was a breatharian for a while during Britain's famous scientology period called 'the battle of Britain' we were not allowed to moonlight and had to work day and night for a while. I survived on very little food or sleep. I weighed well under healthy, my already slim clothes were very loose. It was possible, very uncomfortable and certainly not ideal conditions to getting stats up. I hallucinated and was aware that my body was trying it's best to digest itself.

If only I had been a Japanese Buddhist monk I could have mummified myself. I was getting there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKf5MqxpxoE

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

Prahlad Jani, also known as "Mataji", is an Indian sadhu (born Chunriwala Mataji, 13 August 1929 in Charada, Mehsana district). He claims to have lived without food and water since 1940, and says that the goddess Amba sustains him.

. . .

The team studied Jani with daily clinical examinations, blood tests, and scans. Round-the-clock surveillance was reportedly followed using multiple CCTV cameras and personal observation. The researchers say that Jani was taken out of the sealed room for tests and exposure to sun under continuous video recording.[15] According to the researchers, Jani's only contact with any form of fluid was said to be during gargling and occasional bathing starting from the 5th day of observation, and the toilet in Jani's room was sealed to test his claim that he did not need to urinate or defecate.[2]

After fifteen days of observation during which he reportedly did not eat, drink or go to the toilet, all medical tests on Jani were reported as normal[15] and researchers described him as being in better health than someone half his age.[2] The doctors reported that although the amount of liquid in Jani's bladder fluctuated and that Jani appeared "able to generate urine in his bladder",[14] he did not pass urine. Based on Jani's reported levels of leptin and ghrelin, two appetite-related hormones, DRDO researchers posited that Jani may be demonstrating an extreme form of adaptation to starvation and water restriction.[16]​

Paul

Perhaps it's possible to do this, and may be some people throughout history have done so, it might seem to prove that you are at cause over matter energy space and time. However while starving your body it takes in calcium from your bones, it absorbs fat stores from muscles, around the heart and the brain, it sucks moisture from the skin and keeps you alive until you replenish your supply. We certainly do not need the enormous portions of food we are used to, we eat way too much and store fat in ways that endanger our own lives. Actually the majority of humans alive today are undernourished, many die as a result of this. More research into how to live well on less would be beneficial for mankind, but extreme sadhus encourage gullible would be holy men to show off and follow without any understanding and failure in this would mean death.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Perhaps it's possible to do this, and may be some people throughout history have done so, it might seem to prove that you are at cause over matter energy space and time.

I don't recall reading Prahlad Jani had any "powers" other than being able to maintain his health over a long period without food or water. I believe he is known as a "holy man," and so I expect he has other qualities, but if he can levitate etc. he is not known for it.

As for how he does it, well, there is no method that would fit into a scientific paradigm which only allows gross masses and energies. If you allow subtle energies (auras, chakras, meridians etc) and their infows and outflows with a Universal (subtle) Energy Field, the explanation becomes easier.

Is his continued existence proof of anything like subtle energies? Not really. But it does illustrate that the current scientific paradigm is missing an explanation.

Paul

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I don't recall reading Prahlad Jani had any "powers" other than being able to maintain his health over a long period without food or water. I believe he is known as a "holy man," and so I expect he has other qualities, but if he can levitate etc. he is not known for it.

As for how he does it, well, there is no method that would fit into a scientific paradigm which only allows gross masses and energies. If you allow subtle energies (auras, chakras, meridians etc) and their infows and outflows with a Universal (subtle) Energy Field, the explanation becomes easier.

Is his continued existence proof of anything like subtle energies? Not really. But it does illustrate that the current scientific paradigm is missing an explanation.

Paul

Well the problem is that the study is not a "study" its a reported study with descriptions but no actual study - and no peer review.

Well all we need do tosolve the worlds problems would be to hook up the guru to a generator of some kind because, apparently he creates energy out of nothing.

But before I go galloping off into the realms of chakras, auras, borealis and unicorns it would take more than a "report"

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
An Australian breatharian hoaxer who uses the name Jasmuheen won the bent spoon award for failing to stand up to scrutiny. A list of other winners is here.

Yeah, she was on a religious programme called "The Heaven And Earth Show" on British television a few years back, along with a doctor turned politician called Evan Harris who was less than impressed by her claims (if memory serves, he said she was either deluded or a fraud).

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Tonight, our good friend Deborah (of the God Discussion Network) interviews Navenna Shine who is attempting to live on air, sunshine and tea.

Obviously, Navenna doesn't live in Southern California (Smog Central). :biggrin:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

. . .

Paul
You seem to have omitted any skeptical or critical comments from the wiki article. I have included them here.
Uninvolved doctors and other critics have questioned the validity of the studies[2][5][6] and stated their belief that, although people can survive for days without food or water, it is not possible to survive for years.[6]
2003 tests

In 2003, Sudhir Shah and other physicians at Sterling Hospitals, Ahmedabad, India observed Jani for 10 days. He stayed in a sealed room and was given only 100 millilitres of water to use as mouthwash each day. Doctors say that he passed no urine or stool during the observation, but that urine appeared to form in the bladder.[1] A hospital spokesperson said that Jani was physically normal, but noted that a hole in the palate was an abnormal condition.[1] The fact that Jani's weight dropped slightly during the 10 days has cast some doubt on his claim to go indefinitely without food.[7]
Reactions

Dr. Michael Van Rooyen, director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, dismissed the observation results as "impossible", observing that the bodies of profoundly malnourished people quickly consume their own body's resources, resulting in liver failure, tachycardia and heart strain. A spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association remarked that the human body could survive on water alone, although not healthily, and that a person could not expect to meet their body's vitamin and mineral requirements without ingesting food.[5] Nutrition researcher Peter Clifton also disagrees with study results. He accused the research team of "cheating" by allowing Jani to gargle and bathe, stating that a human of average weight would die after "15 to 20 days" without water.[6] People who avoid food and water to emulate mystical figures often die.[6] Sanal Edamaruku characterized the experiment as a farce for allowing Jani to move out of the CCTV cameras' field of view, claiming that video footage showed Jani was allowed to receive devotees and to leave the sealed test room for sunbathing. Edamaruku also said that the gargling and bathing activities were insufficiently monitored, and that he was denied access to the site where the tests were conducted in both 2003 and 2010.[3] He accuses Jani of having "influential protectors" responsible for denying Edamaruku permission to inspect the project during its operation, despite having been invited to join the test during a live television broadcast.[3] The Indian Rationalist Association stated that individuals making similar claims in the past have been exposed as frauds.[2]

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
[video=youtube;erNHmaC43KY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erNHmaC43KY[/video]

Actually the seminar which sounds like the equivalent of the comm course, is only $10,000. Think how much money you could save by never having to buy food again. Only a few people have died trying this out.

Smurf I really liked the message until you brought god into it and then my firewall slammed shut. Not eating is not wrong because of the Bible, it is nuts to kill yourself simply to prove your belief, and to fork out wads of cash to do it, especially when they have a 'no refunds' clause, it would be wrong whatever religion someone held, or didn't hold.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Think how much money you could save by never having to buy food again. Only a few people have died trying this out.

I tried this in 2004. Most of my at-the-time blog archives are still visible at http://foodreplicator.blogspot.co.uk/. There is an overview write-up at http://fzglobal.org/foodreplicator.htm. Here is my "food replicator":

foodreplicator.jpg

It was all very experimental and empirical since the theory was, shall we say, not mainstream and mostly non-existent. :). The "food replicator" was a cheapo version of a device costing several hundred dollars.

Paul

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I tried this in 2004. Most of my at-the-time blog archives are still visible at http://foodreplicator.blogspot.co.uk/. There is an overview write-up at http://fzglobal.org/foodreplicator.htm. Here is my "food replicator":

foodreplicator.jpg

It was all very experimental and empirical since the theory was, shall we say, not mainstream and mostly non-existent. :). The "food replicator" was a cheapo version of a device costing several hundred dollars.

Paul

You have the electrocuted water, I'll have the bread I made yesterday with some nice cheese and salad. I have an electron intolerance.