What is Scientology? - a presentation by Chris Shelton

Discussion in 'Chris Shelton's Videos' started by Chris Shelton, Mar 15, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. Chris Shelton

Chris Shelton Patron with Honors

Last night (Saturday), I gave my first public talk to a group of non-Scientologists on the subject of Scientology, my personal history and experience with it, how I got into it in the first place and why I now view it as a cult. I then answered a lot of questions from the audience on various aspects of the cult including what The Bridge is all about, what the story is with "space aliens" and why celebrities are so important to Scientology's success. This is ridiculously long for a YouTube video but I'm posting it for anyone interested in the whole story. If anyone ever wanted to know what "my story" is, here it is in all its glory, LOL.

[video=youtube;IH2rBYCxUXs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2rBYCxUXs&list=UUF326xyA0QHI7Z5xAwKQDJg[/video]

2. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

Because I don't have time to listen to this in its entirety right now, I jumped to the Q & A because I wanted to find out what people want to know. It's really interesting to hear these intelligent questions.

3. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

I'm about 1/4 through this, Chris, and still listening while doing other things.

Here I thought you were exceptional in your vids, but you're far better speaking to a live audience. You're clearly sincere and at ease, but with a lot more humour thrown in and your personality just shines. It's very easy to listen to you. You hold the audience attention well and your explanation of Scientology to non-Scientologists is simple, understandable and doesn't miss anything important.

I'm wondering if there is a way Emma can and/or would set up a "What Is Scientology?" section on ESMB or something like that, perhaps even a post in the introduction that has links to this vid and others? People ask it a lot, and even those who leave sometimes wonder wtf they got into in the first place.

The personality test part was great, so was the way you related how the hot recruiter appealed to a shy 15 year old boy. Also when you explained about the introductory communications course. Brilliant in its simplicity and your easy, matter-of-fact style.

Still listening. More comments later.

Sheila

4. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Chris,

Thank you for posting that presentation. I liked it a LOT.
    You are definitely talented in doing presentations on Scientology. :thumbsup:

I have a question: you said that you went Clear and then said that you didn't go up The Bridge at all.
    Would you explain this? This was a bit confusing to me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  5. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Fantastic video Chris!!!

6. Techless

Techless Patron Meritorious

The cool thing is Chris's vids have always been an intelligent dissertation, and why, i think, why he gets mostly intelligent inquires. This is needed now especially, since the whole "they are all crazy" thing plays out for years now (plz notice I didn't say which/who's side has been saying this or comes from') but usually ends in a stalemate of crazy people calling the other crazy. Doesn't go anywhere.

Chris has/is setting a precedence for some intelligent talk, that now allows intelligence to get into the conversation, especially in a public speaking forum.

That's GREAT - and very much needed at this point. It also can then get into the reason why people are still getting into scn....and thats because certain folks will always tend to gravitate to the underdog 'philosophy' which scn plays that card well...and so there are still many folks walking into and getting involved in it.

The controversy is about the only thing left which is driving people in to - I'm thinking, at least somewhat seriously now, and then they (scn) have all the handling for that...

7. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Okay, Chris, I've finished the vid!

First of all, fantastic job! You present such a rational, analytical approach to Scientology and make all of us exes approachable by anyone. I really love your vids.

The only thing I would recommend is a better explanation of Suppressive Person and that it is one who says or does anything that hurts the PR of the cult. That wasn't clear. If you slowed down at that point to explain it, I believe it would have had a great impact.

You have a nature skill feeling when your audience needs a little laugh or break and intersperse these throughout very well. Nice job on the Q & A, too!

:thumbsup: Thanks again, Chris. Great job.

8. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

Great post and I agree. This dovetails nicely with Alex Gibney's documentary which is really setting a monumental precedent. Though I haven't seen it, the reviews clearly show that he accomplished what no one has accomplished before and that is making those who got into Scientology real, human, and like everyone else. It makes it a superficial and unintelligent thing to just label someone crazy or weak-minded because they fell for Scientology.

9. programmer_guy

I thought that he explained SP pretty well.
    Was there something specific that you think he left out?

10. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Chris did not clarify the difference between an SP an a psychotic or antisocial personality. He did not explain how it is a Scientology term for anyone who disagrees.

He covered an awful lot of ground in a short period of time. I could never do that - it's like he did the impossible. It was an awesome talk. Just that one point was a bit unclear and I thought that was an important point.

11. programmer_guy

I thought that he DID mention the difference.
    Maybe you wanted him to talk in more detail about this? :confused2:

12. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

No,. He compared it to a psychotic. I'll find that portion of the tape, but not now. Have to go -

13. Techless

Something that I felt for now a long time - and perhaps too easy to explain.

But: when I got in, the whole SP explanation (definition) was about 'those who suppress other living people'. they just had some thing (fear usually) that made them want to squash the rest of everyone else.

it was easy to see Hitler, all the bizarre Roman leaders, Dahmer, etc, etc - were those 'suppressing' all of life. An easy agreement for me to comprehend.

It really wasn't until much later - and probably after I was emotionally out of the cult, that I realized, or was told so by reading things netwise, that an SP by their definition, was really ANYONE who was specifically against Scn (and only). Really? This was a big difference for me which was never made plain to me while in. Game changer beyond all discussion.

And now I see that whole thing playing out daily, under this 'new' idea of - and from the cult of infinite stupidity.

I just haven't seen this differentiation being made in any certain, clear and precise way currently. Why is this? Is it still up for grabs for interpretation? Not anymore for me at least. It just spells totalitarianism.

Wish I'd known this before...

14. programmer_guy

1. Hubbard could take a small truth and abuse it.

2. What is so ironic is that Hubbard was the BIG SP in CofS. But no one was allowed to point the finger at him. Ha.

3. A narcissistic personality cannot be cured of being a narcissist. It is a permenant condition.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  15. Techless

Absolutely! And I realize that any of us having been in -and the contingency of never-ins who seem to have found out things beyond, doesn't excuse LRHoover from having 'crafted' a way for him to be beyond his bullshit.

I see that playing out now incessantly, with some folks: the freezeOwners, the Indy-it-alls, etc -so there appears to be some 'logic' that is making this happen. And I say that word (logic) in the worst sense of it.

Yes: the truth is out there, but why is the con still taking precedence in some ways. I'd just like to see it squashed now, big time.

I realize that cults can/will always exist in a free world - that's why we all mostly wish to be 'in one' and there to begin with, but then have hard time with the fact that freedom is freedom to create these things. And yet THAT concept dwindles as we watch the heads of it all, become pawns to those who can, do , and have paid for it to be otherwise. So, we're not working with the original concept anymore it seems...

Public opinion still is about the only thing that seems to be able to ever do anything....

It can work!

way too late here- sorry for ramble

16. eldritch cuckoo

eldritch cuckoo brainslugged reptilian

A little advertise. Please copy... :hattip:

[​IMG]

17. Chris Shelton

Chris Shelton Patron with Honors

Sure. What I meant by that was that I achieved the state of Clear back when I was a Class V staff member in 1993. I then joined the Sea Org in 1995 and for 17 years I did not make one inch of Bridge progress as an SO member, but in fact had my Clear status revoked and was sent back to the bottom of the Bridge. So the end result of my entire Scn experience is that I was literally at the exact same place at the end of those 27 years as I was at the beginning. If that's not the very definition of a scam, i don't know what is.

18. Techless

Ah, but you DID accomplish so much in those 27 years Chris.

You are done with it FOREVER and now speaking up and out against the grand scam.

So you have done much in those years! And much greater for those that will now never get into. Hopefully and also, maybe some still innys just yet.

Thank you SO much for that my friend!

(I do realize that it wasn't necessary worth it though for you though, and that makes me cry...)

19. Awesome presentation Chris and thank you for everything you're doing to expose Scientology. It amuses me greatly that you're so vocal in large part due to their having been total dicks to you when you left. They're such morons.

20. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Absolutely the very best video you've made thus far, Mr. Shelton. :thumbsup:
    Bravo :clap:and thank-you!

Fave part?
    From 1:18:10 onwards where you describe OT3. Informative, memorable, and hilarious.

One teeny request.
    If you are again asked to speak to an audience of 'never-ins', please take a moment and explain what the word 'public' means in scientology versus what the word 'public' means in regular/plain English. Something as simple as: "Staff members and sea org members are, essentially, contracted workers for scientology itself, whereas a 'public' is someone who purchases the courses/classes/counselling for sale at scientology orgs."

I think the group you addressed in the video understood, but not all 'never-ins' are as up-to-speed on scio-speak. (<---Yet, heh.)

JB