What's new

What's up with Scientology weddings?

religionjourno

I'm a religion journalist working for an urban newspaper in New York. I'm writing a piece about what makes scientology weddings unique. I tried reaching out to the administration, but I keep hitting dead ends. They point me to this website: http://www.scientology.org/faq/inside-a-church-of-scientology/what-is-the-scientology-wedding.html[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] And then they insist that scientology weddings aren't any different from your average "American" wedding. But I don't really buy it. Religions often help give meaning and purpose to a marriage and every religion has something different to offer. So I'm turning to reddit, since information flows freely here. Have any of you been a part of a scientology wedding? Do you know how the church helps you prepare for that day? What about the ceremony itself? Did how Scientology treats marriage have an effect on your decision to stay/leave the church?
Can you link me up with anyone who has recently had/is planning a Scientology wedding?
[/FONT]

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
We need organized crime journalists not religion journalists...

Rich Behar's first big piece was about organized crime in NYC, THEN he took on $cientology.

which likely helped him really 'get it', in his 1991 TIME Magazine cover story

timecover.gif

"The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power" which was so darn good. LINK

""Scientology is quite likely the most ruthless, the most classically terroristic, the most litigious and the most lucrative cult the country has ever seen. No cult extracts more money from its members."

-------------

"We are not a turn the other cheek religion" Scientologist Lawyer Earle C Cooley on CNN Link

-------------

"I trained Scientology Public Relations [staff] .... how to [ make scientology] appear to be a religion." Robert Vaughn Young

See Young's "Journalist Briefing"

Excerpt: "Published in Quill, The Magazine of The Society for Professional
Journalists;
November-December 1993. [pages 38-41, consisting of a
major story, a smaller story and four sidebars] Copyright 1993 by
Quill. Webbed with RVY's permission.

Scientology from inside out
A former insider reveals strategies for managing the news media

They say the first step in any recovery program is the admission,
so here it is: I handled public relations (PR) and the media for
L. Ron Hubbard and his Scientology empire for 20 years.

It is no accident that I avoid saying "Church of Scientology" --
the trademarked corporate name. The Scientology world is much
larger than merely the "Church" of Scientology (see sidebar
"Secular", p. 40). It is a labyrinth of corporate shells that,
like a hall of mirrors, was designed to baffle all but the
initiated. Add to that an arcane language and dedicated "PRs"
trained to divert and control inquiries, and it becomes obvious
why few outsiders have been able to comprehend the Scientology
hydra, let alone write about it. I hope this will make it easier."

Last edited:
We need organized crime journalists not religion journalists...

Rich Behar's first big piece was about organized crime in NYC, THEN he took on $cientology.

which likely helped him really 'get it', in his 1991 TIME Magazine cover story

timecover.gif

"The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power" which was so darn good. LINK

I remember the day that article came out, I was in a convenience store when I read it. I read the entire article about five times before I left the store. I was too dumbfounded to just pay for it and read it in my car. I knew something wasn't right with Scientology, but had no idea just how fucked up it was until I read that article.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember the day that article came out, I was in a convenience store when I read it. I read the entire article about five times before I left the store. I was too dumbfounded to just pay for it and read it in my car. I knew something wasn't right with Scientology, but had no idea just how fucked up it was until I read that article.

I was in Prague on holiday from the USSR and desperate for English reading material in those pre-Internet days. Little did I know how far the rabbit hole that first taste would take me. :omg:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I'm a religion journalist working for an urban newspaper in New York. I'm writing a piece about what makes scientology weddings unique. I tried reaching out to the administration, but I keep hitting dead ends. They point me to this website: http://www.scientology.org/faq/inside-a-church-of-scientology/what-is-the-scientology-wedding.html And then they insist that scientology weddings aren't any different from your average "American" wedding. But I don't really buy it. Religions often help give meaning and purpose to a marriage and every religion has something different to offer. So I'm turning to reddit, since information flows freely here. Have any of you been a part of a scientology wedding? Do you know how the church helps you prepare for that day? What about the ceremony itself? Did how Scientology treats marriage have an effect on your decision to stay/leave the church?
Can you link me up with anyone who has recently had/is planning a Scientology wedding?

RJ, while the following won't address the questions you've asked, as a former staff member in scientology who worked in several organizations over 10 years I'd recommend that you read the words of Lawrence Brennan, including his free publication:
http://larrybren.blogspot.com/

http://www.scientology-cult.com/religious-cloaking.html

[video=youtube;3bn90lUh8g4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bn90lUh8g4[/video]

Also, the words of Hubbard himself in his 1954 publication, "The Creation of Human Ability"

(Click on image below to make larger)
not-a-religion.jpg

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I'm a religion journalist working for an urban newspaper in New York. I'm writing a piece about what makes scientology weddings unique. I tried reaching out to the administration, but I keep hitting dead ends. They point me to this website: http://www.scientology.org/faq/inside-a-church-of-scientology/what-is-the-scientology-wedding.html[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] And then they insist that scientology weddings aren't any different from your average "American" wedding. But I don't really buy it. Religions often help give meaning and purpose to a marriage and every religion has something different to offer. So I'm turning to reddit, since information flows freely here. Have any of you been a part of a scientology wedding? Do you know how the church helps you prepare for that day? What about the ceremony itself? Did how Scientology treats marriage have an effect on your decision to stay/leave the church?
[/FONT]

For the text of the ceremony, see
http://www.scientology.org/faq/inside-a-church-of-scientology/double-ring-ceremony.html
My wife and I were married in such a ceremony.

As with any wedding ceremony, the person officiating says some words, the people getting married state publicly that they accept being married to the other, and the parties involved, along with witnesses, sign the marriage certificate that they got from their local government office. This last part makes the wedding "official" as far as legalities are concerned. The words and vows are less relevant, as long as they contain the important "statement of consent" ("I do") from each party.

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm a religion journalist working for an urban newspaper in New York. I'm writing a piece about what makes scientology weddings unique. I tried reaching out to the administration, but I keep hitting dead ends. They point me to this website: http://www.scientology.org/faq/inside-a-church-of-scientology/what-is-the-scientology-wedding.html And then they insist that scientology weddings aren't any different from your average "American" wedding. But I don't really buy it. Religions often help give meaning and purpose to a marriage and every religion has something different to offer. So I'm turning to reddit, since information flows freely here. Have any of you been a part of a scientology wedding? Do you know how the church helps you prepare for that day? What about the ceremony itself? Did how Scientology treats marriage have an effect on your decision to stay/leave the church?
Hubbard's traditional vows for Scn marriages include what looks to be a cheating is okay clause...along with the reminder your wife needs pretty clothes, a pan to cook with and a cat to keep her company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_marriage
They include such quaint advice to the groom as "Now -----, girls need clothes and food and tender happiness and frills, a pan, a comb, perhaps a cat. All caprice if you will, but still they need them," and to the bride: "Hear well, sweet -----, for promise binds. Young men are free and may forget. Remind him that you may have necessities and follies, too." [2]

CO2

Patron Meritorious

My wife and i were married in a Scientology ceremony, which we wrote ourselves, in 1978. You can PM me.

I have to admit, at that time, we had both been out of the Co$ for a couple of years at that point. The minister, a friend and relative left by 1980. He is the founder of TIR.

As far as I know, it was like any other ceremony in California. hand tooled, friends getting drunk on champagne. nothing out of the California ordinary.

Dean Blair

[/FONT]

I was a Scientologist from 1969 until 2009. I performed about a dozen marriages. There was very little difference between the Scientology wedding ceremony and any other religious ceremony except that God is really not brought into it with Scientology. There is a Scientology ceremony which brings Scientology terminology into the ceremony and then there is the generic or non Scientology ceremony which would be more appropriate for individuals who were not Scientologists.

I was able to marry my mother to her new husband when she remarried in the early seventies and I married my brother to his wife later in the seventies. Scientology just mimicked other religious ceremonies and is really not any different other than I described above. Scientology believes that one does not only live one life and that you continue lifetime after lifetime in a new body so "till death do us part" wouldn't really apply.

MissWog

I was a Scientologist from 1969 until 2009. I performed about a dozen marriages. There was very little difference between the Scientology wedding ceremony and any other religious ceremony except that God is really not brought into it with Scientology. There is a Scientology ceremony which brings Scientology terminology into the ceremony and then there is the generic or non Scientology ceremony which would be more appropriate for individuals who were not Scientologists.

I was able to marry my mother to her new husband when she remarried in the early seventies and I married my brother to his wife later in the seventies. Scientology just mimicked other religious ceremonies and is really not any different other than I described above. Scientology believes that one does not only live one life and that you continue lifetime after lifetime in a new body so "till death do us part" wouldn't really apply.
Thanks Dean! So is any of that stuff about clothes, frills, a pan and a cat ever used? To your knowledge?

Dean Blair

Thanks Dean! So is any of that stuff about clothes, frills, a pan and a cat ever used? To your knowledge?

It is used in the ceremony and is kind of poetic. Hubbard wrote it. If you are asking does the married couple always apply what they agreed to I would say the answer is no. When I was married in the Church of Scientology my wife and I chose the Scientology ceremony. The one about never going to sleep while there is a broken ARC triangle. That did not always work out as originally planned and there were a few times we went to bed without having resolve the upset.

MissWog

It is used in the ceremony and is kind of poetic. Hubbard wrote it. If you are asking does the married couple always apply what they agreed to I would say the answer is no. When I was married in the Church of Scientology my wife and I chose the Scientology ceremony. The one about never going to sleep while there is a broken ARC triangle. That did not always work out as originally planned and there were a few times we went to bed without having resolve the upset.
Poetic? Hmmm so where a wog Christian may use I Corinthians 13:4 love is patient, love is kind...

So does anyone have any comments on this:
Since according to the church & celebrity shills when interviewed, one can be a Scn while a Christian.. Would bible versus be allowed to be included in a Scn wedding either in the days of Hubbard or now with DM? I really wonder how that would be received by the powers that be, hmmm.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

What makes them unique is that Scientology is not a religion nor is it a church. Google: Lawrence Brennan's affidavit regarding his work in the Church of Scientology dealing with the "religious cloaking" for tax exempt purposes and immune from the laws of the land.

There is no God in Scientology and L Ron Hubbard claims that "Christ was an implant". Do some research on Jack Parson's and Aleistar Crowley (L Ron Hubbard was a student of Aleistar Crowley / OTO and Thelema.

The Church of Scientology lies to its members and says "L Ron Hubbard was hired by the Government sent into the Black Magic Circles to HANDLE them". Can you imagine telling members this with a straight face? The members believe everything they are told. They are clubbed seals in a cult! They don't know it is a cult so be gentle on them!

Compare the Scientology cross to the Rosy Cross.

Scientology is legally called a religion due to their "tax exempt" status. But ask a Scientologist who GOD is to them and sit back and watch the "comm lags" and strange phenomena that occurs!!

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Hubbard's traditional vows for Scn marriages include what looks to be a cheating is okay clause...along with the reminder your wife needs pretty clothes, a pan to cook with and a cat to keep her company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_marriage

Lots of fluff in the Scn ceremony, but some important things left out, compared to the standard Christian vows:

Groom’s name], do you take [Bride’s name] to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to her, for as long as you both shall live?

The phrase "forsaking all others" means more than "not cheating". It means that your spouse, and your relationship to her/him, is to have your primary loyalty. Your loyalty to your marriage is to be senior to your loyalty to your parents, your friends, and any group you might belong to.

This is a concept that Scn cannot tolerate, because NOTHING can be allowed to be senior to loyalty to the Scn hierarchy.

Veda

Sponsor
[/FONT]

It's a cult and a business.

In any event, some background...

Hana Eltringham Whitfield: "There were secretive flights to New York from the ship by Hubbard aides and others for abortions either condoned or ordered by Hubbard... Women who became pregnant did not want to be sent off the ship so they chose, in some cases, to have the abortions and, in some cases, Hubbard ordered them to have abortions".

Interviewer: "So the issue of forced abortions is not new?..."

Hana: "No, it's not new. It existed on board the Royal Scotman."

This is from 1:48 - 3:06, in part four of a six part interview with Hana Eltringham Whitfield.

In this segment, Hana also discusses the death of Susan Meister and the cover up by Hubbard. Also discussed are the scandalous conditions in the children's nursery at the Fort Harrison (Flag Land Base) in 1975, 1976, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhyNmwI6UI

From the 1952 Philadelphia Doctorate Course:

"We mustn't mention this because, God help us, there goes the moral code. Penicillin took out the disease level and now... [a person] can take a couple of beams of energy.... and terminate a pregnancy. Nothing wild or forceful or upsetting or anything like that. Just make sure the tube opens. It's very simple. There are muscles and so forth that contract and expand at a certain period every month, and that sort of thing."

Gleefully, Hubbard continued:

"Pregnancies that have been as much as three months advanced have been terminated that way... Isn't this fascinating? So you've got something like birth control sitting right there in theta clearing... It's just deadly. One, two, three!"

1952, 'PDC' lecture. Hubbard explains how wonderful it is that OTs can now induce abortions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI71dkquCEE

And, from a precept from 'The Way to Happiness' "moral code" booklet, written, in 1980, as PR cover while Mrs. Hubbard was being sent to federal prison, and her husband was in hiding after the court-ordered exposure of his secret criminal teachings and activities:

On the topic of sex, in 'TWTH', one precept advises against promiscuity, explaining that, "A 'feeling of guilt' is no where near as sharp as ground glass in the soup."

Note that "feeling of guilt" is in quotes.

__________​

And on the family:

"The GE [Genetic Entity/sub human] is a family man. The GE is lost without the family. It's very strange but Homo Sap [sic] is a family unit. The GE is built on that basis...

"And your thetan, by the way, can much more easily go into a group. Families are not good groups."

From 10 December 1952, PDC lecture series.

So much of what is occurring in Scientology today is an echo of what happened - under Hubbard - in the past.

__________​

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6uh_mKLbA

More from video #4 of Hana, beginning at 3:50:

"There was Susan Meister's so-called suicide... and there was her body being shipped back to the United States in a sealed coffin because of a cholera scare in Morocco.

"Well, there was no cholera scare in Morocco.

"There was simply a PR - what was simply a cover-up, ordered by Hubbard because he did not want Susan's family in the United States to be able to open the casket and to look at the body, and to have their own autopsy done, and come to their own conclusions as to how she died.

"And to prevent that from happening he [Hubbard] dreamed up a cholera scare... managed to convince the... authorities to seal the casket...

"And it was just a cover-up.

"Twenty years later, ... the father, Mr. Meister, called Jerry and myself, his voice breaking, pleading for help. He was still searching for information on exactly what happened to his daughter."

_________​

The 12 February 1967 Policy Letter 'Admin Know-How, the Responsibility of Leaders' -a.k.a. The Bolivar Policy Letter:

"[The power asks] 'What are those dead bodies doing at the door'. And if you [the subordinate] are clever, you never let it be known HE [the power] killed them - that weakens you and also hurts the power source. 'Well, boss about all those dead bodies, nobody at all will suppose you did it. She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn't like me'. 'Well', he'll say if he really is a power, 'Why are you bothering me with it if it's done and you did it. Where's my blue ink?...

"...always push power in the direction of anyone on whose power you depend. It may be more money for the power, or more ease, or a snarling defense of the power to the critic, or even the dull thud of one of his enemies in the dark, or the glorious blaze of a whole enemy camp as a birthday surprise...

"...Real powers are developed by tight conspiracies of this kind... and if they are right and also manage their man [the power] and keep him from collapsing from overwork, bad temper or bad data, a kind of juggernaut builds up."

http://www.xenu-directory.net/victims/meister1.html

A bullet hole in the middle of her forehead, but no powder burns.

__________​

L. Ron Hubbard established the Children's RPF in 1976:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8ZqGSkXjI

__________​

Robert Vaughn Young re. the RPF and RPF's RPF, and re. children RPF'ed on the 'Flagship Apollo': http://www.scientology-lies.com/rvy1.html

__________​

Here's the Sec Check for Children, written by L Ron Hubbard.

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
HCO BULLETIN OF 21 SEPTEMBER 1961
[/CENTER]

Franchise
SECURITY CHECK CHILDREN

HCO WW Security Form 8

The following is a processing check for use on children.
Be sure the child can understand the question. Rephrase it so he or she
can understand it. The first question is the most potent.

Children's Security Check

Ages 6 -- 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMmnBXcYN9Q

phenomanon

Canyon

I have used that vebiage in a few Scn weddings that I have performed. They are straight out of the "Book of Ceremonies". I performed about 10/12 Scn weddings in my past days as a SCN Minister. I was married by my best friend, also a Scn Minister.
The Ceremonies are not unusual. The Bride and Groom can write their own,or use the one from Book of Ceremonies, or use both.

My own wedding was performed on our lawn where we lived in Beechwood Canyon, and we had a huge party on the roof ( flat , with a studio on it) and lots of tables and chairs. We served cake and Champagne by the bucketload, had lots of pics taken, and about 50 Scn'ists showed up and we all had a good time.
Our home was a 3 story affair, so there were ppl everywhere. We had a bar set up on the 2nd floor as well as on the roof.

Nothing unusual about the ceremony, or the wedding vows, etc. Nothing unusual about the partying afterwards. The only thing unusual was that we were all Scn'ists at the time.

phenomanon

Canyon
It's a cult and a business.

In any event, some background...

Hana Eltringham Whitfield: "There were secretive flights to New York from the ship by Hubbard aides and others for abortions either condoned or ordered by Hubbard... Women who became pregnant did not want to be sent off the ship so they chose, in some cases, to have the abortions and, in some cases, Hubbard ordered them to have abortions".

Interviewer: "So the issue of forced abortions is not new?..."

Hana: "No, it's not new. It existed on board the Royal Scotman."

This is from 1:48 - 3:06, in part four of a six part interview with Hana Eltringham Whitfield.

In this segment, Hana also discusses the death of Susan Meister and the cover up by Hubbard. Also discussed are the scandalous conditions in the children's nursery at the Fort Harrison (Flag Land Base) in 1975, 1976, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhyNmwI6UI

From the 1952 Philadelphia Doctorate Course:

"We mustn't mention this because, God help us, there goes the moral code. Penicillin took out the disease level and now... [a person] can take a couple of beams of energy.... and terminate a pregnancy. Nothing wild or forceful or upsetting or anything like that. Just make sure the tube opens. It's very simple. There are muscles and so forth that contract and expand at a certain period every month, and that sort of thing."

Gleefully, Hubbard continued:

"Pregnancies that have been as much as three months advanced have been terminated that way... Isn't this fascinating? So you've got something like birth control sitting right there in theta clearing... It's just deadly. One, two, three!"

1952, 'PDC' lecture. Hubbard explains how wonderful it is that OTs can now induce abortions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI71dkquCEE

And, from a precept from 'The Way to Happiness' "moral code" booklet, written, in 1980, as PR cover while Mrs. Hubbard was being sent to federal prison, and her husband was in hiding after the court-ordered exposure of his secret criminal teachings and activities:

On the topic of sex, in 'TWTH', one precept advises against promiscuity, explaining that, "A 'feeling of guilt' is no where near as sharp as ground glass in the soup."

Note that "feeling of guilt" is in quotes.

__________​

And on the family:

"The GE [Genetic Entity/sub human] is a family man. The GE is lost without the family. It's very strange but Homo Sap [sic] is a family unit. The GE is built on that basis...

"And your thetan, by the way, can much more easily go into a group. Families are not good groups."

From 10 December 1952, PDC lecture series.

So much of what is occurring in Scientology today is an echo of what happened - under Hubbard - in the past.

__________​

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6uh_mKLbA

More from video #4 of Hana, beginning at 3:50:

"There was Susan Meister's so-called suicide... and there was her body being shipped back to the United States in a sealed coffin because of a cholera scare in Morocco.

"Well, there was no cholera scare in Morocco.

"There was simply a PR - what was simply a cover-up, ordered by Hubbard because he did not want Susan's family in the United States to be able to open the casket and to look at the body, and to have their own autopsy done, and come to their own conclusions as to how she died.

"And to prevent that from happening he [Hubbard] dreamed up a cholera scare... managed to convince the... authorities to seal the casket...

"And it was just a cover-up.

"Twenty years later, ... the father, Mr. Meister, called Jerry and myself, his voice breaking, pleading for help. He was still searching for information on exactly what happened to his daughter."

_________​

The 12 February 1967 Policy Letter 'Admin Know-How, the Responsibility of Leaders' -a.k.a. The Bolivar Policy Letter:

"[The power asks] 'What are those dead bodies doing at the door'. And if you [the subordinate] are clever, you never let it be known HE [the power] killed them - that weakens you and also hurts the power source. 'Well, boss about all those dead bodies, nobody at all will suppose you did it. She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn't like me'. 'Well', he'll say if he really is a power, 'Why are you bothering me with it if it's done and you did it. Where's my blue ink?...

"...always push power in the direction of anyone on whose power you depend. It may be more money for the power, or more ease, or a snarling defense of the power to the critic, or even the dull thud of one of his enemies in the dark, or the glorious blaze of a whole enemy camp as a birthday surprise...

"...Real powers are developed by tight conspiracies of this kind... and if they are right and also manage their man [the power] and keep him from collapsing from overwork, bad temper or bad data, a kind of juggernaut builds up."

http://www.xenu-directory.net/victims/meister1.html

A bullet hole in the middle of her forehead, but no powder burns.

__________​

L. Ron Hubbard established the Children's RPF in 1976:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8ZqGSkXjI

__________​

Robert Vaughn Young re. the RPF and RPF's RPF, and re. children RPF'ed on the 'Flagship Apollo': http://www.scientology-lies.com/rvy1.html

__________​

Here's the Sec Check for Children, written by L Ron Hubbard.

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
HCO BULLETIN OF 21 SEPTEMBER 1961
[/CENTER]

Franchise
SECURITY CHECK CHILDREN

HCO WW Security Form 8

The following is a processing check for use on children.
Be sure the child can understand the question. Rephrase it so he or she
can understand it. The first question is the most potent.

Children's Security Check

Ages 6 -- 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMmnBXcYN9Q

We were told how to perform abortions in the early days of Dn. Abortion has always existed in Scn.

As for there not being a CHolera scare in Morocco, there sure was. I don't think that Hubbard could have started a rumor that would have sent what looked to be the entire population of Tangier to rush the gates of the Hospital, clawing and fighting to get inside and get immunization shots. Well, OTOH, I suppose that Hubbard could do that. The SO from Apollo had all hands ( and students) muster. We were herded to the Hospital gates, and the SO forcibly pushed Moroccans aside so that the ship's population could get inside. I had the sleeve of my shirt ripped off in the melee.
BTW, I was a student on Apollo when Susan left the earth. I heard nothing of it until I read it on a newsgroup decades after I left.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm surprised to hear that the Scientology marriage ceremony was actually taken seriously by some people here.

In my local org the idea of Scientology being a religion was a huge joke. I remember when I first heard of it being a religion I asked the Executive Director if that was true and he said no, it's just for PR purposes.

Later, when I became an auditor I remember having to do some kind of Minister's course. All auditors protested this because it was a waste of time. We weren't ministers and Scientology wasn't a religion but we had to do it "for PR purposes".

I remember drilling the wedding ceremony with a few other people and we could hardly complete it because we were laughing so much.

The only Hubbard book that nobody was forced to buy was the one containing the various "religious" ceremonies because it would have been a complete waste of money.

So for me to hear that people in other orgs took this stuff seriously is an eye-opener.:ohmy:

Veda

Sponsor
I'm surprised to hear that the Scientology marriage ceremony was actually taken seriously by some people here.

In my local org the idea of Scientology being a religion was a huge joke. I remember when I first heard of it being a religion I asked the Executive Director if that was true and he said no, it's just for PR purposes.

Later, when I became an auditor I remember having to do some kind of Minister's course. All auditors protested this because it was a waste of time. We weren't ministers and Scientology wasn't a religion but we had to do it "for PR purposes".

I remember drilling the wedding ceremony with a few other people and we could hardly complete it because we were laughing so much.

The only Hubbard book that nobody was forced to buy was the one containing the various "religious" ceremonies because it would have been a complete waste of money.

So for me to hear that people in other orgs took this stuff seriously is an eye-opener.:ohmy:

I think your eyes were already open. :)

laweekly-cover-small.jpg

Heber Jentzsch demonstrating the usefulness
of the Scientology ceremonies book.

Veda

Sponsor
We were told how to perform abortions in the early days of Dn. Abortion has always existed in Scn.

As for there not being a CHolera scare in Morocco, there sure was. I don't think that Hubbard could have started a rumor that would have sent what looked to be the entire population of Tangier to rush the gates of the Hospital, clawing and fighting to get inside and get immunization shots. Well, OTOH, I suppose that Hubbard could do that. The SO from Apollo had all hands ( and students) muster. We were herded to the Hospital gates, and the SO forcibly pushed Moroccans aside so that the ship's population could get inside. I had the sleeve of my shirt ripped off in the melee.
BTW, I was a student on Apollo when Susan left the earth. I heard nothing of it until I read it on a newsgroup decades after I left.

Any idea as to why Hubbard would have refused to see Susan's father when he came to the ship?