What's new

Who is the author of the Affirmations?

rhill

Patron with Honors
In any cases, here are a few references:

... In addition to the documents and other items to be returned to the Church of Scientology International listed above and in Appendix "A", Plaintiff agrees to return the following:
... All originals and copies of documents commonly known as the "Affirmations" written by L. Ron Hubbard; and ...

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/legal/a1/mutual-release-1986.html
Although the documents have been sealed by the court, the Clearwater Sun obtained a list of the documents Tuesday—a list referred to in court so the litigants will not speak about the specific contents of the material. ... Included in the list were items described as: ... 4-E Hubbard handwriting admissions RE: control over all mankind and naval background

http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library-item.php?iid=1883
Armstrong's attorney, Michael Flynn, was discussing the papers under seal when he made mention of the documents called "Admissions," bringing sect attorney Barrett Litt to his feet. Litt was adamant in his argument that those particular documents not be discussed in open court. He said the papers, reportedly in Hubbard's own hand, have not been authenticated and are protected from introduction by the California evidence code. ...Nonetheless, Superior Court Judge Paul G. Breckenridge allowed Flynn to proceed, stipulating that he restrict his inquiry to certain areas of the "Admissions" described on a list of sealed documents as:
* Hubbard handwriting RE: Feigning injuries and illness.
* Hubbard handwriting admissions RE: Control over all mankind and naval records.
* Hubbard handwriting RE: Psychoses.
* Hubbard handwriting admissions RE: Hubbard's control over others.

http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library-item.php?iid=1901

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
Affirmations are mentioned in the 1984 Armstrong case. The church wanted them back. It may be argued that we cannot be sure they are the same that Armstrong published. Indeed. I think every one of us shall make up his own mind because there is no way the Church will release something so embrassing for Hubbard.

I've read them, and I think they are what Armstrong claim they are.

I find RoadRunner very accurate on certain things, and totally wrong on others. He is trying to protect Hubbard. That, to me, explain his inability to accept things.

Do you know how RoadRunner explains LRH violent behaviour of his late years? It was not Hubbard but an impostor. That's right!

He explains everything by believing that LRH had been kidnapped around December 1972 when he went to New York City assisted by Jim Dincalci and Paul Preston, and when he got back to the Apollo it was somebody else. LRH identity and fingerprints at his death were a fake.

There is some truth, by many accounts LRH was different in behaviour after returning from New York, where he setup the Guardian Office, but I like to think he was so due to his own O/W. Was he really an impostor, would you think his wife, his kids, his staff and friends didn't notice?

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/fairgame/ops/1236.php

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
I do not have irrifutable evidence on this either way, BUT when I was in RTC and this legal case was ongoing, the affermations were treated as real LRH docs, with the confidentiality of OT materials. As I was not OT I was not allowed access to them until I left the COS.

I suspect and expect that they are real.

I seem to recall, in one of Marty's comments, but can't find the link, that he acknoledges that they were real, and comments "big deal" LRH got into a lot of stuff while he was researching scn.

Not a definitive statement but I agree with you.

The affirmations certainly fit the modus operandi of a dirtbag capable of creating a self servicing cult like Scientology, Hubbard's own cult does not doubt their authenticity and neither do it

rhill

Patron with Honors
I seem to recall, in one of Marty's comments, but can't find the link, that he acknoledges that they were real, and comments "big deal" LRH got into a lot of stuff while he was researching scn.

Interesting, I didn't know he acknowledged them. In my opinion, whether they are a "big deal" is of course a matter of opinion, but to form an opinion one first must know about these in the first place, and they certainly fit as a relevant disclosure when it comes to Hubbard's claims about himself and his Scientology "research."

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious
I do not have irrifutable evidence on this either way, BUT when I was in RTC and this legal case was ongoing, the affermations were treated as real LRH docs, with the confidentiality of OT materials. As I was not OT I was not allowed access to them until I left the COS.

I suspect and expect that they are real.

Thank you for sharing that Mike, even tho this is an old debate - it always helps to have new perspectives.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
As with much about Hubbard those in scientology believe hook, line, and sinker
" rode a horse at age 3 on a special made saddle '

" left blinded and cripples at the end of WW II ".

" Broke my back"

" Was in a train wreck on Venus "

" Saved Australia..."

The list goes on. Scientologists gulp this shit down without blinking while sane people gag at it.

Of course scientologists believe this crazy shit. It is why they are scientologists.

Know 'em for what they are ...............and give 'em a wide berth.

Gadfly

Crusader
Affirmations are "standard tech" and often used in New Age, occult and magical work.

While NOT part of Scientology, it makes total sense that Hubbard used affirmations because he was involved with Parsons and dabbled with magick. Hubbard HAD to have been very familiar with the use of affirmations.

And, while affirmations are neither good nor bad, being simply a "tool", the CONTENT of any set of affirmations is a direct door to the inside of any person's mind and motivations. And also, the CONTENT of affirmations can indicate the "goodness" or "badness" of any person - since they display intentions, motivations and goals.

It makes sense to me that the over-the-top, self-absorbed fellow known as L. Ron Hubbard would affirm things such as mentioned in these affirmations here. In this case, the affirmations of Hubbard's display a person with a HUGE ego and a very exagerrated sense of self-importance.

+++++++++++++++

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud

This is a very subtle understatement:

"It makes sense to me that the over-the-top, self-absorbed fellow known as L. Ron Hubbard would affirm things such as mentioned in these affirmations here. In this case, the affirmations of Hubbard's display a person with a HUGE ego and a very exagerrated sense of self-importance.?
Huge subtle understatement :

Sindy

Crusader
Affirmations are "standard tech" and often used in New Age, occult and magical work.

While NOT part of Scientology, it makes total sense that Hubbard used affirmations because he was involved with Parsons and dabbled with magick. Hubbard HAD to have been very familiar with the use of affirmations.

And, while affirmations are neither good nor bad, being simply a "tool", the CONTENT of any set of affirmations is a direct door to the inside of any person's mind and motivations. And also, the CONTENT of affirmations can indicate the "goodness" or "badness" of any person - since they display intentions, motivations and goals.

It makes sense to me that the over-the-top, self-absorbed fellow known as L. Ron Hubbard would affirm things such as mentioned in these affirmations here. In this case, the affirmations of Hubbard's display a person with a HUGE ego and a very exagerrated sense of self-importance.

+++++++++++++++

I would argue that Affirmations are part of Scientology and are mentioned in and are part of a process in the Creation of Human Ability and are the basis of positive postulates.

Veda

Sponsor
From Hubbard's 1946/1947 'Affirmations'.

As read into the court record by Gerry Armstrong at Armstrong vs Church of Scientology:

"You stomach trouble you used as an excuse to keep the Navy from punishing you. You are free of the Navy. You have no further reason for a weak stomach...

Your ulcers are well and never bother you. You can eat anything. Your hip is a pose. You have a sound hip and it never hurts.

"Your foot was an alibi. The injury is no longer needed. It is well. You have perfect and lovely feet...

"When you tell people you are ill, it has no effect on your health. And in Veterans Administration examinations you will tell them how sick you are. You'll look sick when you take it. You'll return to health one hour after the examination and laugh at them.

"No matter what lies you tell others, they have no physical effect on you. You never injure your health by saying it is bad. You cannot lie to yourself...

"That my eyes (that I used as an excuse to get out of school) are perfect and do not pain me ever..."

A little more from Hubbard's 'Affirmations':

"You can be merciless when your will is crossed and have the right to be merciless...

"Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write...

"Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler.

"Men are your slaves."

Gadfly

Crusader
I would argue that Affirmations are part of Scientology and are mentioned in and are part of a process in the Creation of Human Ability and are the basis of positive postulates.

Having studied the use of affirmations extensively in various contexts, where VERY EXACT methodologies are delineated and provided to the student, and having studied much Scientology, including the PDC Course in full, I would argue that, IN FACT, Scientology provides NO TECHNIQUE at all, not in any form, and not on any checksheet, which describes HOW TO POSTULATE anything. Hubbard talks on and on about postulates, but never gives a "how to" guide in any form. That is one of the biggest flaws that I saw in Scientology.

But, you may be right that that they might be part of "one" (isolated) process in COHA. I am curious. Which process?

In my many years of experience with many Church members, and having also practiced many varieties of "magick" over the years where affirmations and visualization are key components of the "tech", I NEVER saw ANY Scientologist use or do anything even remotely similar to "affirmations".

Yes, Hubbard provided all sorts of "admin tools" to enable a person to "reach ones goals", BUT that is far different from the purpose of affirmations, which is to bring about a change in the consciousness of the practitioner, and thus a change in the experience of reality.

Also, there is no doubt that Scientology tricks people into agreeing with various things, and that this sort of agreeing "acts" like "affirmations", but it is NOT in the conscious control of the Church member. It "happens" to the Church member through involvement and indoctrination with the subject.

The "tech" of affirmations is often "open-ended", meaning that once any student learns "how to do it", then it it us to the student to decide what he or she wants to "affirm into existance". There is extensive free choice. In Scientology, you are TOLD what to agree with and what your goals are. Big difference.

I don't though doubt that Hubbard knew full well that he was tricking Church members into "affirming" a great many things through the slick indoctrination and enforced realities of Scientology participation. Also, yes, creative processing DOES get a PC to "affirm" various conditions through use of the creative imagination (i.e. rising scale processing). But again, the theory of the methodology and the exact nature of WHAT is happening is NOT shared with the PC.

If I took a good look at it, it is probably true that many religions mold and encourage agreement through manipulative use of affirmations (on others).

"Jesus is my Lord and Savior" repeat it over and over

"God shall be my light" repeat it over and over

Even in politics and sports, when team members group together and chant or yell in unison, "we will win" (repeat it over and over).

One affirms something to bring about a change in consciousness and awareness. It is going on all of the time, though below most people's awareness.

The idea of the subject of affirmations (and visualization) involves understanding a basic function of the human mind, the creative imagination, and bringing this under YOUR CONTROL, instead of it largely remaining under the willy-nilly control of accidental life and goal-oriented groups. As I see it, Hubbard NEVER spelled out the working functioning of affirmations to his Church members, because he was using it to CONTROL them.

+++++++++

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader
This is a very subtle understatement:

"It makes sense to me that the over-the-top, self-absorbed fellow known as L. Ron Hubbard would affirm things such as mentioned in these affirmations here. In this case, the affirmations of Hubbard's display a person with a HUGE ego and a very exagerrated sense of self-importance.?

Huge subtle understatement :

Toady, did I get your humor this time????? :duh:

I did download and installed the "humor detection program", so that I don't respond stupidly to anymore of your (or anybody else's) posts by missing the inherent humor! :confused2:

++++++++

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Affirmations are mentioned in the 1984 Armstrong case. The church wanted them back. It may be argued that we cannot be sure they are the same that Armstrong published. Indeed. I think every one of us shall make up his own mind because there is no way the Church will release something so embrassing for Hubbard.

I've read them, and I think they are what Armstrong claim they are.

I find RoadRunner very accurate on certain things, and totally wrong on others. He is trying to protect Hubbard. That, to me, explain his inability to accept things.

Do you know how RoadRunner explains LRH violent behaviour of his late years? It was not Hubbard but an impostor. That's right!

He explains everything by believing that LRH had been kidnapped around December 1972 when he went to New York City assisted by Jim Dincalci and Paul Preston, and when he got back to the Apollo it was somebody else. LRH identity and fingerprints at his death were a fake.

There is some truth, by many accounts LRH was different in behaviour after returning from New York, where he setup the Guardian Office, but I like to think he was so due to his own O/W. Was he really an impostor, would you think his wife, his kids, his staff and friends didn't notice?

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50k/fairgame/ops/1236.php

Well he set up the Guardians Office in 1966, not 1972.

I know several people who worked incredibly closely with Hubbard both before and after and they dismiss the 'theory' as total horseshit without a shred of proof. There is "no truth" - just speculation from people who were not there - like that idiot Roadrunner who thinks that by endlessly and repetitively collecting and cataloguing things like HCOPLs he can find out real truth.

Hubbard in 1972 was 61 years old and he was overweight, smoked too much and was under a lot of stress.

Last edited:

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
In my many years of experience with many Church members, and having also practiced many varieties of "magick" over the years where affirmations and visualization are key components of the "tech", I NEVER saw ANY Scientologist use or do anything even remotely similar to "affirmations".

The "tech" of affirmations is often "open-ended", meaning that once any student learns "how to do it", then it it us to the student to decide what he or she wants to "affirm into existance". There is extensive free choice. In Scientology, you are TOLD what to agree with and what your goals are. Big difference.

If I took a good look at it, it is probably true that many religions mold and encourage agreement through manipulative use of affirmations (on others).

One affirms something to bring about a change in consciousness and awareness. It is going on all of the time, though below most people's awareness.

. As I see it, Hubbard NEVER spelled out the working functioning of affirmations to his Church members, because he was using it to CONTROL them.

+++++++++

Great Post Gadfly. F_ Brilliant.!! AMEN Brother

Hypnotism, Suggestibility, Affirmations, OBEY! Advertising, same shit different smell.

Hubbard the master of angles.

Affirmations
When Hubb wanted to get agreement he used the WE affirmation

WE have the Correct technology
WE will not speculate here
WE have climbed out of the mud
WE have workable technology

When he wanted to affirm Source, he used I.

I came to Rise above the bank
I once had an idea a group could evolve truth.
I dont see that popular measures
I can only say this now it is done
I have been engaged in research
I know what a group of people will do.

"Thus, he can bring about implicit obedience, not only on the part of individual
members > <.

He need only take unto himself a sufficiently savage role, a sufficiently uncompromising inhuman
attitude, and he will be obeyed and believed".

one of Hubbard mainstay traits
Indifference-Inhuman
"so you got burned to death so what"
"I almost wept".

The brainwashing manual 1955
L Ron Hu-beria pg29