What's new

Who went back to fragrances?

Stephanie

Patron with Honors
I certainly did and I can tell you I'm loving Annuck Goutal's French line of fragrances as well as NYC bond # 5, and Issy Miyake-- to die for.

angel

Patron with Honors
I don't remember making a decision to stop wearing fragrance. I must of ignored that whole fragrance keys you in thing. I remember on course once this guy asked me what perfume I was wearing because he wanted to buy it for his girlfriend, and it was my Sebastian hairspray. That stuff did smell good. I had to get that hair up and big in the early 80's. For years I have worn Jessica McClintock, which smells like lilacs, but I am done with synthetics.

Now I am into herbals and aromatherapy. I diffuse Eucalyptus or Orange essential oils in my home. They both combat airborn germs and viruses and are restorative to the respiratory system. I wear Satsuma/Clementine perfume oil from the Body Shop. I smell like an orange, LOL. I just bought the shower gel, but have not opened it yet.

Jen

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Anon: Yep. It's a Hubbard thing. He wrote a policy about it titled: 'Fragrance' I think he wrote several others on the subject as well:

In a nutshell: He says that the psychs used perfumes/scents/fragrances as an 'evil tool' and a way to 'dumb' and control people by 'hypnotising' their sense with perfume.
(A lot of the strong, synthetic perfumes do make us feel dizzy, personally...not defending that view, just saying...).

Maybe another poster here has the PL?

Yep. ALL Scientologists (and more so, the Sea Org) are extremely anti-scent of any kind. One time I spend HOURS shopping for an unscented shampoo because I had to go to a Sea Org org for a visit, and when I went to go use it, it was GONE. (was taken and thrown away, guess the unscentedness wasn't unscented enough?).

They're obsessive about it. When we cleaned the Org, we used only water to clean surfaces, etc..

Wisened One

I went back to perfume, I use Angel :thumbsup: it smells lov-aly & eveyone that meets me says "You smell nice", I wont use anything else. I remember when we use to clean the Org, it was like we were cleaning for England. The white glove was ridiculous, so suppressive.

Basically, I do what I want to do now, no ones tells what I should do or not do, thank God :happydance: :happydance:

It's perfectly acceptable for Hubbard to suck down three or four packs of cigarettes a day and smell like a mixture of foul tooth decay and an ash tray ... don't even think about using fragrances around him.

Wisened One

Crusader
It's perfectly acceptable for Hubbard to suck down three or four packs of cigarettes a day and smell like a mixture of foul tooth decay and an ash tray ... don't even think about using fragrances around him.

Yeah, Hubbard and Co$'s favorite 'perfume' was fresh and stale cigarette smoke, huh? YUCK!

And hey, I heard that COB USES aftershave or cologne or some such thing! Is that true?!

And about the only fragrances I can take are the essential oil perfume oil roll-on's made my Auric Blends. One of my favorite is Rose. I've been keepin' it in my purse and taking occasional whiffs of it to help me through some recent stressful times in my life.

Another favorate scent of mine is Lavendar. Mmmmm. Sadly tho, I can still WEAR none of them, as I get all the same symptoms again :sadsigh:

Butterfly

Patron
A lot of strongly scented things...especially candles, strong perfumes, room deodorizers etc, give me a bad headache and/or make me sneeze. A lot of the aromatherapy scents, essential oils etc I can handle better.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I like fragrances but I do think that sometimes there are too many scented things around. I know that I would probably keel over and die if I had to work in a Bed Bath and Beyond. You can smell that place a mile away even before setting foot in the door!

scent for cent a barrel

Yes it is true, scent is cents a barrel, it is chemical easily made this days. I know because I bought some.

In this modern era chemical stuff is readily available, no mater the consecuences, we have been slowly poisoned for so many years, we all know that.

It used to be very, very, very hard to have scented stuff or perfumes before.

Modern industry uses scent to hide other horrible chemicals from smelling in their products. It is comon. Plus there is the marketing side, if it smells good it must be "good".

And modern scents in all the modern personal hygene and cleaning stuff can very easily be overwhelming to the point that you cannot detect a source of infection or danger. It can be deadly to not detect gas, mold, fungi, heavy metals, biological waste, roten shit, etc...

A very good point about all this is that if something is clean and healthy it does not smell, it can't. For example: If a glass is clean, it is imposible to have a smell because glass has no smell, like pure water does not have a smell either. If something is clean it can only smell like what it is, a rose smels like a rose, period.

Putting scent on all things is a stupid modern practice for many reasons. for instance, if a bathroom smells bad for lack of proper ventilation, the correct thing to do is to open the window, put a window in it, or at least a correct air extractor. duh !

If you are clustered in a ship at sea with dozens of other people, (your life is at risk just for being in the ocean) you can use modern chemicals to numb your sense of smell , that's stupid to do. It is like wearing very, very, very, very dark sun glasses all the time; you cannot look, you cannot confront, you cannot be in comm with the environment. The correct thing to do is to not be a dirty lazy bum and take a shower, clean the decks, remove the garbage, etc.. and the place will have a correct smell.

The policy on scents is not meant to eliminate all smells from all things. It is a real warning about hidding your perception through the use of scents because they can mask very real dangers .

Really, some scented places are like being on drugs, you can't feel anything after a few minutes in such a place (at least not through your nose).

I know you all have been in such a place, like some old ladies' houses where not a window is open and every room has a scented something going off, the lady has 20 diferent scents on her own body from cosmetics and perfume, plus whatever she used to clean her house and wash her clothes, etc.. You can feel a barrier as you walk into the house, but after a few minutes inside you are just as numb as the lady, and you no longer feel, you even talk louder because your perceptics are down.

Have you ever been in a public place and someone that is wearing a strong perfume walks in front of you and the smell just drives you away. Imagine having to sit next to that person for five hours and having to concentrate on your study or work. You can't.

I think that the only reason why so many people dislike the scents policy is because LRH used a psych reason from way back in the track, and the course supes bother people with it and the reference is not real to them. Plus the asshole seniors that love finding any reason to yell at a junior.

Every one should beware of scents, it does not seem to be part of this thread but, did you know that deodorant is a cause of breast cancer?
I can explain that further if someone wants to know.

Base Flag Order 7

4043483723_262c9123b1.jpg

I found this in my Personal Grooming pack. SO product 0. the other reference is in SO product 1 packs, I don't have those.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
This thread started out asking if anyone became insentitive to scents after doing the Purif. Did anyone experience that? I never used to be sensitive to perfumes and such but not sure if the doing the Purif changed that. I do know that later in life I became allergic to almost all perfumes and it sometimes prompts an asthma response. The worst is old ladies that reek of powder scent or over powering perfume. It must have been a cultural thing in "their" day and has carried into old age. Breathing in that stuff is like being devoid of oxygen.

According to Hubbards nonsense about people below 2.0 emitting bad odors he must have really stunk to high heaven as he was at the bottom of the tone scale!

Doing the purif does not make you allergic to anything, or give you asthma.

It is known to increase the senses, smell mostly, then sight then the others.

Allergies "apear" at a threshold. They will flare up when the amount of the allergen is more than the body can handle, wheather in a single exposure or as a result of acumulation in the system.

And since everybody is diferent all people react diferently to allergens.

This thread started out asking if anyone became insentitive to scents after doing the Purif. Did anyone experience that? I never used to be sensitive to perfumes and such but not sure if the doing the Purif changed that. I do know that later in life I became allergic to almost all perfumes and it sometimes prompts an asthma response. The worst is old ladies that reek of powder scent or over powering perfume. It must have been a cultural thing in "their" day and has carried into old age. Breathing in that stuff is like being devoid of oxygen.

According to Hubbards nonsense about people below 2.0 emitting bad odors he must have really stunk to high heaven as he was at the bottom of the tone scale!