Why Conspiracy Theories Suck

Discussion in 'Chris Shelton's Videos' started by Chris Shelton, Jan 22, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. Chris Shelton

Chris Shelton Patron with Honors

I'm probably taking my life into my hands posting this video here, but why not? (joke) I made it to be seen, so here it is. I find it interesting that many ex-Scientologists develop some degree of critical thinking skills towards Scientology itself yet remain just as susceptible to unproven or illogical conspiracy theories after they leave. I wonder how many even realize how much of Scientology's policy and especially the GO/OSA operations are based solely on Hubbard's mad conspiracy ideas. As I say in the video itself - just because I'm skeptical does not mean I'm calling anyone a liar or asserting that all conspiracy theories aren't true. I'm merely demonstrating my skepticism as any good critical thinker should.

[video=youtube;Yadfszp8Df8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yadfszp8Df8[/video]

2. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

Has anyone checked Chris' ears?? He may be a doppelganger. Rich? :biggrin:

3. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

Always remember you're among friends here. :coolwink:

IMO, you're respected . . . because once you finally looked behind the curtain (while in the SO) and saw the truth of all things, you didn't linger very long and twist your mind up trying to endlessly bring resolution. You left, you got your bearings in the real world, and spoke out loudly and clearly.

You'll always have that . . . that is, seeing and doing the right thing.

You certainly don't need MY imprimatur . . . but you're got it nonetheless. I've enjoyed your videos and commentaries.

Also, thanks for posting the recommended reading that I had asked you about. I got the books that looked interesting to me.
    Will read them one day . . . I hope. :roflmao:

4. eldritch cuckoo

eldritch cuckoo brainslugged reptilian

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...talist-Attacks&p=997565&viewfull=1#post997565 :biggrin:

D'oh! - But yes, this video definitely deserves its own thread... Repetition, repetition! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Did I say that I like this video? No?
    I LIKE your video! :thumbsup: And the others. :)

5. Mystic

Mystic Banned

With much evolution one eventually finds out what a "conspiracy" really is.

6. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

Thank you for your cogent logical video, GP. I like your description of Elcon, he was a conspiracy nut (among other things as well). Do you think that people using paranoid conspiracy theories for their own ends is what could be called inducing fear based behavior in others?

Love all your videos and this one especially. I will be reposting it liberally. :cheers:

7. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Thank you SO MUCH for this great presentation!
    And You are saying exactly, on ALL POINTS, what I have finally come to believe.

I watched this entire video and you are reading my mind?! Ha!

I am pleasantly surprised with the content! That is ME... exactly!

(And I luved your comments about Confirmation Bias. We are all guilty of it.)

8. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

It's good to see you branching out, Chris. You make some great points.

Seems to me you have quite a career ahead of you in educational vids.

9. rich

rich Banned

One quarter of the way down the linked page on the right is a list of 8 articles on ear biometrics. If you continue researching the subject you will discover that many polititians and holywood actors are not who you think they are. There is a great volume of data. For one thing you will have to search google images for earshots. The sheer volume of data that you will have to manually wade through kinda negates the need for skeptisizm. The only way you would even get through it is if you have a childs curiosity.
    http://wirenetology.blogspot.com/2011/12/three-dimensional-ear-biometrics-system.html

10. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for that Chris. The conspiracy theory mindset seems to be one of the aspects of scientology that many are reluctant or unable to leave behind.

I recall a conversation with a sea org member who is still in, and he was fond of the website prison planet. Interestingly, I noticed conspiracy theories abound in the middle east as well.

I wonder if certain belief systems predispose people towards conspiracy theories?

11. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Chris,

If you had a another version of this video on YouTube without any SCN comments then I would post that one on my Facebook page for my friends and relatives.

It's not that the SCN comments are not relavent to this message board... it's that I don't want them to get derailed onto SCN matters.

Most of the world doesn't give a damn about SCN and know little or nothing about it.
    But your excellent presentation is far beyond SCN matters and I would like to post another version to FB.

You owe me nothing... and if you don't want to do it... it's okay with me.

12. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

Love it, Chris - a great vid and one that opened my eyes to a few things.:yes:

One thing that struck me a few days ago was that, while most of "us" here have moved on from Hubbard's "religious" and "philosophical" belief systems, many are still stuck in the socio-, economic and political paradigms Hubbard demand "we" follow. Conspiracy theories are certainly part of that.

I watched a show on TV night before last with my son called "Years of Living Dangerously." Interesting show. My son was incensed at the "evil" that fossil fuel companies and shills were displaying per this show. I had to point out to him that these people were just making a living and had profit as their major, but not only motive. Of course they are going to protect their livelihoods at all costs.

Funnily enough, had I watched this when I was still in the cult, my reaction would have been the opposite of my son's, because I'd taken on Hubbard's conspiracy theories and extreme unfettered Capitalist economic views. I thought Climate Change was a pinko conspiracy that was easily disproven and it wasn't until I challenged myself about ALL my beliefs and began to research that I found I was badly wrong.

I remember well the conspiracy theories that abounded amongst the staff and SO in Sydney. I cringe when I think that I fell for some of them. There were some (like the telephone company cut us off because the Psychs got to them) that didn't wash - I knew it was the continuous unpaid bills. But there were plenty of other staff who did believe, and I had to keep my mouth shut or Ethics would be alerted I was somehow "disaffected."

A lot of these theories had Marcabians/UFOs/Bilderbergers/ Illuminatti etc etc in them. I guess when you fall for a guru who tells you that you aren't you, but some fallen god now infested with a plague of hundreds of thousands of alien beings, conspiracy theories make sense too.:duh:

13. Lohan2008

Lohan2008 Gold Meritorious Patron

Well worth taking the time to watch the whole video.

14. Chris Shelton

Chris Shelton Patron with Honors

I understand what you're saying about the derailing but I don't think I'll be doing two versions of this video for that reason. The only reason Scn is mentioned at all is (a) so people who have been used to seeing me talk about it know that I'm not done, (b) it was an amusing anecdote and useful example to mention how I used to myself be involved in forwarding conspiracy theories and I couldn't do that without mentioning Scn. I don't think its so much a part of the video that it distracts or derails anyone watching it, though, and I've received no other negative comments from any never-ins or non-Scientologists about these mentions of Scn. If your friends or relatives are still Scientologists, they're going to freak out seeing me no matter what I say, though, so I can't really do much for you there.

15. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

Oh yeah? Well folks you had better wake up! It's late.......it's laaaaaaaate!

No one can deny Puzzling Evidence....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdCfYHNctsc

Oh yeah! There's a chain of coincidence..... :yes:

Do you run out of paper towels, kleenex, and toilet paper at the same time? You know it's true!

:coolwink:

16. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

This is terrific! Just what is needed here :) Thanks for giving a wise perspective to a contentious subject.

The next time I see conspiracy baloney posted on the forum, which I usually ignore when possible, I am just going to post this video. There is no need to say anything else. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  17. Intentionally Blank

Intentionally Blank On a mission...

False causality?? Coincidence is not cause??? Wait .... You're not saying .... TWTH didn't bring down crime rates???? :omg:

Kidding aside - excellent presentation. I can't use the actual video for my suppressive schemes but I will certainly borrow from the points presented.

Blanky

18. RandomCat

RandomCat Patron with Honors

Great video!!
    Let's hope it will convince some people to leave the Illuminati... that is, if they're actually allowed to leave :nervous:

19. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

BTW, Chris, as I was reading the church Finding On The US Food and Drug Administration booklet Tony posted the other day with the below article, I could not help but be reminded of how many of the world conspiracy posters we have here sound so much like the baloney written in it! Almost as if these exes had no idea they were still carrying forward this conspiracy stuff from when Hubbard indoctrinated members into it.

How Scientology responds to adversity: A classic example from its golden era

http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/21/ho...ersity-a-classic-example-from-its-golden-era/

The Findings
    ON THE U.S.FOOD AND DRUG AGENCY

Scientology's pamphlet about the FDA after the 1963 raid
    https://www.scribd.com/doc/253279153/The-Findings?secret_password=DVyjQx0YhF9K4HYscm0e

20. Veda

Veda Sponsor

I'll side step the greater subject of conspiracy, conspiracies, the "cause effect theory of history," and the idea that the cosmos itself is a kind of conspiracy, and comment only on how this relates to Scientology, specifically outside-the-organization Scientology.

Marty Rathbun's latest book, the May 2013 'Memoirs of a Scientology Warrior', contains a chapter, 'Preparing for War', which, essentially, affirms the idea of a global conspiracy against Dianetics, Scientology, and L. Ron Hubbard.

[​IMG]

I'm aware that Marty Rathbun's views have changed in some areas since that time, but he prominently displays the book, and his earlier books, on his web site, and still strongly recommends them.

Recently an excerpt from the chapter 'Preparing for War', appeared on the South African Scientology blog 'Back in Comm'. (For those curious, press 'Control' and 'F' and do a find on Special Project):

https://backincomm.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/on-the-lighter-side/

Marty writes about how he was part of the late 1970s "Special Project," during which he was assigned the task of studying the documents obtained by the various Scientology infiltrations, etc., and that these documents proved that Hubbard was correct when he told Scientologists about the vast conspiracy against Dianetics, Scientology, and L. Ron Hubbard.

The view is that it was this conspiracy, and the sustained and vicious attacks stemming from this conspiracy, that resulted in Scientology taking counter measures in order to survive, and that these counter measures - such as the Fair Game Law - are not indications that there was anything wrong with L. Ron Hubbard or Scientology, since Hubbard or Scientology were all about fun and the spirit of play, etc., but the terrible relentless and vicious conspiracy against Hubbard and Scientology made it necessary for the fun-loving and "turn the other cheek" Hubbard to become a warrior so as to save Scientology from destruction by evil forces.

It was because of this conspiracy that Hubbard and Scientology appeared - to the uninformed - as be paranoid, devious, ruthless, and destructive.

This view is very strong amongst Scientologists outside of corporate Scientology, and anything that challenges it is viewed as "making LRH wrong."

It acts as a kind of mental block that prevents any further understanding or growth that might move the person beyond Scientology.

________

A tiny sampling of Scientology conspiracy material. There's much more.

[​IMG]

L. Ron Hubbard wanted to be a nice guy, but he was attacked!!!

And yet, secretly, his attackers wanted him to work for them!

According to L. Ron Hubbard, there were repeated attempts by both the Russians and the U.S. government to take possession of his work on the mind, and to get him to work for them.

Hubbard even wrote to the FBI, in 1955, claiming that he had been offered his own laboratory, and very high fees, if only he'd agree to work for the Russians.

The first offer, according to Hubbard, was from the Russian KGB in the late 1930s; when he refused, the Russians stole the manuscript for 'Excalibur', the unpublished book that was so powerful that, according to Hubbard, it resulted in someone, unprepared for its reading, leaping out of a skyscraper window!

Such was the power of the tech even in 1938!!!

Hubbard's skills as a nuclear physicist were also coveted by the US government. Here's Hubbard explaining that, during World War II, he was repeatedly asked to work on the Manhattan Project (the secret project building the atomic bomb), and each time refused, and each time was sent into a combat theater as punishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-6I-d4jK0

And here is Hubbard describing the period of 1946, when he first came in contact with Sara Komkovadamanov, the Russian spy, at "the place nuclear physicists stayed near Caltech." Hubbard describes this covert operation:

From the confidential 1969 issue, 'Intelligence Actions - Covert Data Collection':

"The objective of the enemy is to discredit... Their first blast was from the San Francisco papers, Sept. 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including the murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicists stayed near Caltech), Gene Benton and his wife - president of the Young Communists League... This was a full war against Dianetics."

And regarding the same time period of the 1950s...

From a 1977 recorded message, 'Can we Ever Be Friends?':

"Possibly any trouble Dianetics or Scientology ever had began on May 9, 1950 when the U.S government, excited by the possibility of Hubbard's work, sought to force him into classified government service.

"In Washington, they told him they wanted him to work on projects to make people more suggestible. When he declined they threatened and, typically, he refused to bow.

"And the war between the government and Scientology was on."

There's another version of this from the 1978 edition of 'What is Scientology?'. It ends with:

"The government never forgave him for this and soon began vicious, covert international attacks on his work. "

And it was because of these attacks that L. Ron Hubbard was forced to commence with his plan for planetary conquest and the utter destruction of all his enemies!

[​IMG]