What's new

NBC interview: Marty Rathbun & cult harassment.. YT vids being taken down..

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
NBC has the only link to the video..

http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nbc-news/ex-scientologist-speaks-out-415161923827

Critics that have mirrored the video on YouTube have had them taken down & accounts closed. Clearly, the cult is not a happy camper. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkDPf8M_Ni8

I understand that Marty was brainwashed, too and that it's not all his fault, and I do have some empathy for him. However, *ahem*, Marty Rathbun was the second biggest criminal in scn. He has REAL crimes to answer for in the REAL world. He belongs in prison. He is likely guilty of assault and battery, kidnapping, false imprisonment and extortion and who knows what else.

The chickens have come home to roost, Marty. Now you know what you did to others. Suck on it, motherfucker.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
On one hand I agree - suck on it Marty - you harmed a lot of people and helped get the cult to where it is today. People died and went crazy under your watch and a Lisa McPherson's family was completely devastated. I could pound him when I think of how Marty helped to KSW during the Lisa McPherson fiasco. I hate what he did to help Scientology survive and become the criminal organization it really is. I don't understand how he stayed so long.

On the other hand - my heart goes out to him. He was young and vulnerable and was alone in the world - his family not there for him,

He did leave and he is doing damage now - a lot of damage. So is Mike Rinder,. They are doing more than I could ever do to the cult. They are helping with the movie that will bring Scientology to its knees.

Karma has no sympathy and Marty is getting his Karma (in my opinion). Aren't we all? My life sucked for an entire decade due to a few years in Scientology - absolutely SUCKED!

I do think we need to embrace those that have left and are doing something about it - like Marty and Mike. I have a little less sympathy for Pat Broeker, Debbie Cook (unless she is ill) and those at the top who took the gag order buy out. They really fucked it up for the rest of us.

We were all sucked into the cult and therefore we all contributed to "keeping it going" even if for only a short while - others a long time,

I believe in our hearts we did it to help ourselves and others - and our minds were hijacked by an ill intended man named L Ron Hubbard who happened to groom a socio path named David Miscavige to take it's place. Yes - I refer to Hubbard as an IT.

No one gets away with anything. I hope we can watch the Karma to David Miscavige. He is the only one I wish to see suffer. He truly is a psychopathic sociapath evil fuck.

Lone Star

Crusader
I guess the only way some of you goddamned, self righteous assholes will ever be happy is if Marty kills himself in some slow, agonizing way.

I tell you what....fuck you. Just fuck you.

Last edited:

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
I guess the only way some of you goddamned, self righteous assholes will ever be happy is if Mary kills himself in some slow, agonizing way.

I tell you what....fuck you. Just fuck you.

Look, I understand he is making amends and doing a good job of it. And I do understand he was a victim, as is Dopey Davey for that matter. I can forgive him. But these guys have more amends to do than the average Sea Org, or outer ex-staff SPs.

And I'm sorry, but these CST and RTC assholes don't get a hug from me just cuz they left. I'm proud of them for having the guts to leave. I know how hard it is. But they have CRIMES to answer for. REAL crimes not just missing a w/h or auditing past a floating t/a. Murder, extortion, blackmail and kidnapping are FUCKING CRIMES. In ANY society. Do you who disagreed with me disagree with THAT? And if Marty is guilty of these crimes, he belongs in prison. Along with all the others already there who were manipulated into committing such crimes by a con man. If that makes me self-righteous, so be it. I don't think it does. I don't owe the church amends, it owes me.

I truly hope Marty finds peace. And I WILL forgive him. Just not yet.

Lone Star

Crusader
Who's Mary? :confused2:

I'm really downstat when it comes to typos these days. :melodramatic:

I know I probably went overboard there earlier, but when someone calls Marty a "motherfucker" I figure I can respond in like manner.

All I'll say more on this matter is that Marty understands that he did a lot of bad shit while in his position in the cult. And he understands that he is going through hell now, and will probably continue to go through it until the day he dies.

Some of you need to know more about his background....how he grew up....how he came into the cult himself before you judge him so unforgivingly. He could've chosen to stay in. He could've chose to take the Debbie Cook route....get the money and shut up. He didn't.

Each and every month since he's been out he has grown. He's still growing. Just like everyone else on this board to one extent or another. I have little patience for the hate directed towards him. It's just so lame. Not to mention petty and ridiculous.

Gib

Crusader

I know I probably went overboard there earlier, but when someone calls Marty a "motherfucker" I figure I can respond in like manner.

All I'll say more on this matter is that Marty understands that he did a lot of bad shit while in his position in the cult. And he understands that he is going through hell now, and will probably continue to go through it until the day he dies.

Some of you need to know more about his background....how he grew up....how he came into the cult himself before you judge him so unforgivingly. He could've chosen to stay in. He could've chose to take the Debbie Cook route....get the money and shut up. He didn't.

Each and every month since he's been out he has grown. He's still growing. Just like everyone else on this board to one extent or another. I have little patience for the hate directed towards him. It's just so lame. Not to mention petty and ridiculous.

I haven't read his books so I do not know his background, nor do I really need to know it to think.

And like you said, and I do know this, Marty and Mike could have just STFU and moved on with their lives quietly like Pat Broeker and even DM's dad, where are their stories?

Marty, Mike, Amy, Headley's, etc all could have STFU and just moved on with their lives. Karma, WTF is that. These folks are only getting attacked because they are telling their experiences and the truth, that ain't karma.

You know when I was in and saw these folks on stage at the Int Management events, I actually thought these folks were mini gods, OT's, OEC/FEBC trained, -----------> what a joke it all turns out to be. I always wondered what did folks at Int Management do all day long.

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron

I know he had it hard. I am not "some of you", I am me. I said in my post I can forgive him. And I will. BUT GODDAMMIT ADDRESS THE POINT. I am talking about CRIMES not just "bad shit". You don't get to skate on a murder charge just cuz you said "sorry, my bad" and bought your victims mom a condolence card.

And frankly, if you are going to address ME, kindly address ME not some general group you think I belong to. It's rude. If you don't like a known motherfucker (as we all know he was up until recently) being called a motherfucker, too bad. Tell me fuck you in such a passive-aggressive manner again and I'll just ignore you, which I prefer not to do. Whatever our difference of opinion regarding Rathbun's culpability and vulnerability to criminal prosecution, we can be kind to each other, n'est pas?

Lone Star

Crusader
I know he had it hard. I am not "some of you", I am me. I said in my post I can forgive him. And I will. BUT GODDAMMIT ADDRESS THE POINT. I am talking about CRIMES not just "bad shit". You don't get to skate on a murder charge just cuz you said "sorry, my bad" and bought your victims mom a condolence card.

And frankly, if you are going to address ME, kindly address ME not some general group you think I belong to. It's rude. If you don't like a known motherfucker (as we all know he was up until recently) being called a motherfucker, too bad. Tell me fuck you in such a passive-aggressive manner again and I'll just ignore you, which I prefer not to do. Whatever our difference of opinion regarding Rathbun's culpability and vulnerability to criminal prosecution, we can be kind to each other, n'est pas?

Okay I'll address you directly.....FUCK YOU.

Sorry, I should've done that the first time.

I agree. My bad.

Marty didn't murder anyone....you liar.

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
I do admire his guts for coming out. But to put things in current events terms, Chelsea Manning is in prison while David Petreus walks free. While Dick Cheney walks free. The upper execs speaking out aren't new. David Mayo spoke out over 30 years ago. What about all of us who had to put up with the Finance Police? Should I forgive Matteus Patel for leading a gang bang sec check on me? What if he says "oops, sorry?

Marty can win my respect. He's well on his way. He's just not all the way there for me. I don't think I'm being judgemental nor self-righteous. I'm advocating for justice and I use profanity for punctuation, so fuckityfuckityfuckity fuc.:biggrin: We disagree. It's ok. If you have already forgiven him, cool. I don't have a problem with that.

Lone Star

Crusader
I haven't read his books so I do not know his background, nor do I really need to know it to think.

And like you said, and I do know this, Marty and Mike could have just STFU and moved on with their lives quietly like Pat Broeker and even DM's dad, where are their stories?

Marty, Mike, Amy, Headley's, etc all could have STFU and just moved on with their lives. Karma, WTF is that. These folks are only getting attacked because they are telling their experiences and the truth, that ain't karma.

You know when I was in and saw these folks on stage at the Int Management events, I actually thought these folks were mini gods, OT's, OEC/FEBC trained, -----------> what a joke it all turns out to be. I always wondered what did folks at Int Management do all day long.

I've not read even one sentence of any of his books myself. I have no desire nor plans to read his books.

I'm going largely on what Jesse Prince has said about Marty's past and experience....especially in the early days. For one thing a women was blown away sitting in a car next to him by a deranged SO member. That's according to Jesse. Not a book.

JustSheila

Crusader
Well, there's the before, during and after.

The Church of Scientology certainly did exploit Marty's unstable and violent youth and dysfunctional family to get him in.

That doesn't mean he was a nice guy while he was in, nor that he suffered the same way as many others in the SO did for most of that time. Marty lived like a king compared to many SO members due to his loyalty to DM, and he hurt a lot of people for many years.

When he left, it took him a long time to shed that Scientology persona as well as his beliefs. In his early years, he condemned and criticized ESMB and fully out exes, as well as some of the Australia media because he did not want to see Scientology, which he still believed, criticized. In that egotistical state, Marty claimed credit for things for which he had no involvement - exes who had already been out for years, coupes against COS by other groups that had nothing to do with him. At that time, I openly criticized Marty. I do not apologize for that, because he had his own agenda then, one which I never comprehended, but one that was different than the simplicity of taking down the cult and exposing Scientology for the scam that it is.

Marty's boasting also made him a big target for OSA and the cult, which made it easier for the rest of us to get on with destroying COS. It worked to our advantage, but not to Marty's.

Some of his early writings the first years he was out were funny, the way Scientologists are so ridiculous that you can't help laughing. I'll never forget, "Ode to L Ron Hubbard". :giggle: And I don't apologize for laughing then, either. Marty had a huge fan club of followers and Indies then, too, and enjoyed playing guru to them. I poked fun at that, too.

So as he changed, he lost most of the Indies. Well, that's how it is sometimes when the only thing you have in common with someone is a shared belief and then stop sharing those beliefs. At that time, Marty could not see past his beliefs to just like people for themselves, even if they didn't agree with him. That wasn't my personal experience with him, anyway - he was pretty rude to me when I tried sending him a few simple messages. Whereas many fully out exes and Anons developed and kept friendships with some Indies and others as they changed and put religious differences or beliefs aside, Marty did not. Not then.

So now Marty finds himself at a new crossroads. It's painful, but I don't believe it is anywhere near as bad as he sees it at this moment. He is not as isolated as he thinks.

Most exes and Anons are forgiving. We get it. We've been through it. I won't make friends with a Scientology persona, but Marty is being himself now and I welcome the person he is, the real Marty, in my heart without reservation.

I believe others here do so as well.

I don't see Marty's future as nearly as bleak as he may have envisioned it when he made the vid, or that some others may envision it. There is neighborhood watch, there are places to live where a Scientologist stands out like a slab of beef in a vegetarian soup. There are plenty of communities where people are just people who work together and look out for themselves and each other.

Maybe it's time Marty said hello to us here on ESMB again - as the new Marty - and see for himself how many friends and how much support he now has. It's not too late for a new start. Life is a series of learning, changing, and new beginnings.

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
Okay I'll address you directly.....FUCK YOU.

Sorry, I should've done that the first time.

I agree. My bad.

Hey, I was trying to be nice to you. I'll give you points for not being passive aggressive this time. Why won't you address the point? Yelling at someone and causing their death are different orders of magnitude. And while I have no specific information about people's activity beyond what the records say, the records lead one to believe he may be indeed guilty of crimes punishable by imprisonment. And in what world does anyone get a pass for these types of crimes without bribery or intimidation?

The fact remains, that his actions were reprehensible. Do you deny that? And if not, why do you disagree that he has waaaaaaaay more to answer for than the folder page at AOLA?

M

Moderator 3

Tone down the personal attack/insults, please.
The mud-wresting pit is over there >>> :banned:
and we really don't want to go there.

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tone down the personal attack/insults, please.
The mud-wresting pit is over there >>> :banned:
and we really don't want to go there.

I agree. I was only personally insulting to Rathbun, not Lonestar. I'm trying to be nice and will just ignore Lonestar if he wants to insult me rather than address my point. I did not tell him fuck you or call him a liar.

Sindy

Crusader

I hear what you're saying and we should certainly be nice to each other.

I don't know what more anyone could ask from Mike and Marty than what they are doing now and what they're exposing themselves to daily.

They could have slinked off into the wildernes, never to be heard from again. The only people (in my opinion) who I have a good understanding of why they might hold onto some anger (or desire for these guys to do more) are those who were personally victimized by these people. Even in this case, we don't know what personal reparations or communications are happening and I don't think it's necessary that all of that is made public.

So, maybe you are one of those people who was directly wronged, personally, by Marty?

Regarding the fact that you believe Marty has crimes where he belongs in prison, possibly murder, is there some cold case that the authorities are trying to solve that you have special knowledge about where Marty is the perpetrator?

It's already known that Marty obstructed justice in the McPherson case, he's admitted it and so far, no one is coming after him for this but he didn't "murder" Lisa. That's a huge accusation.

After watching the way that religions are so protected here in the US, I have recently come to the conclusion that they truly do have their own rules in a certain sense. I am going to say something that will piss some people off but the way I see it, other than those born into the cult (which, if I am not mistaken, you were born in, right?) there are no other 100% pure victims and I don't even think I can say that those born in, of course without consent, are 100% victims (but close enough).

The rest of us all quickly initialed our rights away and signed those enrollment and other agreements usually without even reading them. We trusted our cult. We all played on the field. Some people played fiercer games than others but we all agreed until we didn't agree anymore.

No, most of us didn't agree to all the shit OSA, RTC, INT MGMT were doing. We didn't know about it until we left but those who moved up the line started playing by different rules, LRH advices and Flag orders, etc. that the rank and file were never privy to. Once one got up in that stratosphere, imagine how much weirder it got and how much harder it got to leave. What a mind fuck.

Marty does not have a warrant out for his arrest, he has not been convicted of any crimes and is not a menace or danger to society. He's already living a certain hell. He will surely reap everything he sowed simply because he's slowly but surely allowing that to happen as he allows himself to decompress and unravel from this whole thing right out in the public eye.