What's new

Anyone from PAC Los Angeles 1984-1990?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Damn Paul, that brings up some mighty unpleasant memories of dorms on the 5th floor of the main building in big blue.

What year was that? My memories of the fifth floor are when it belonged to COB/ASI/Senior Execs. That floor looked like a 5 star hotel's swankiest area compared to the rest of the building.

BTW, that photo brought back unpleasant memories for me too. The women's dorms weren't much better. (I'd say the women tended to be a little neater; otherwise they were pretty much the same.)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
BTW, that photo brought back unpleasant memories for me too. The women's dorms weren't much better. (I'd say the women tended to be a little neater; otherwise they were pretty much the same.)

It's funny seeing all those shirts hanging off the end of the beds: I don't remember it like that at all. I don't really have bad memories of the dorm. Usually one was so pleased to get to bed and sleep (or at least, the option of it if one didn't want to stay up and chat out the back) that the lack of better quarters didn't seem to matter that much. The room rarely smelled and was relatively quiet and comfortable. It got a bit hot in summer, being in LA and with no air conditioning. It wasn't often filled to capacity: the bunks were there, but not always occupied, with people out on mission etc, and we didn't exactly rush down to tell the Berthing I/C the moment someone moved out. The people there were almost always in their 30s and above, very rarely teens or gung-ho CMO types.

Paul

Leland

Crusader
Hello Classified, Bri and Yar. Welcome! :)

I was in LA from 1983 to about 2003. I came to Pac Base to do my OT 1-3 in 1983 from Washington DC, at age 27.....and stayed. I was in Scientology from 1974 to 2001.

I was public. I did sign a SO Contract in 1976....but was never allowed to "activate."

It is very interesting for me to hear these SO stories.....and what life was like in the SO.

That pic is amazing Paul. WoW. Something that Cult Public would NEVER be aware of.

Hope you all get to connect up with old friends...

All the best.

Leland

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
It's funny seeing all those shirts hanging off the end of the beds: I don't remember it like that at all. I don't really have bad memories of the dorm. Usually one was so pleased to get to bed and sleep (or at least, the option of it if one didn't want to stay up and chat out the back) that the lack of better quarters didn't seem to matter that much. The room rarely smelled and was relatively quiet and comfortable. It got a bit hot in summer, being in LA and with no air conditioning. It wasn't often filled to capacity: the bunks were there, but not always occupied, with people out on mission etc, and we didn't exactly rush down to tell the Berthing I/C the moment someone moved out. The people there were almost always in their 30s and above, very rarely teens or gung-ho CMO types.

Paul

Are you saying that the conditions of the dorm beds you photographed, posted and commented about were the exception to the rule on what it looked like?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Are you saying that the conditions of the dorm beds you photographed, posted and commented about were the exception to the rule on what it looked like?

uhm...no.

Not really.

Take away the hangers.

The bunks three high and four to a small room and the ceilings about to collapse....

Yeah. That was it.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

I was merely saying that I don't remember all the shirts hanging off the bed frames, although they were probably there. I would wear a shirt for 2 days and I certainly didn't toss it on the floor after the first day! As I said, after the first few years the middle tier of bunks was gone and the other two tiers were turned against the wall on the right, so one didn't see the ends of the bunks as one came in the door (where the photo was taken from).

In general, though, the photo doesn't misrepresent the scene of SO berthing overall, although there are some individual exceptions.

For example, before I came to LA I lived in SO berthing at Bullards, a mile from Saint Hill (UK). I don't have a picture of the inside, but when I stayed there in the early 80s it was gorgeous. I shared a large room with two other guys, no bunk beds, nice carpets etc, lovely view over the English countryside and at night it was so quiet — as in silence maybe broken once an hour or so by an owl hooting — a definite change to arrive in LA with the police sirens along Sunset Boulevard and the police helicopters buzzing the Complex at night.

bullards.jpg

Paul

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
What year was that? My memories of the fifth floor are when it belonged to COB/ASI/Senior Execs. That floor looked like a 5 star hotel's swankiest area compared to the rest of the building.

It might have been 3 or 4, LOL. That was 83/84. I wasn't RTC yet, in the clearance unit for int clearances.

The first night I arrived from Australia, 18 year old dear in the headlight amazement at big Scientology, I think it was the 3rd or 4th floor, I was stuck in a dorm on arrival. Couldn't sleep, so paced, looking outside the window. Apparently I disturbed someone who went to the head. I hear this huge baloomp whoosh, bang, scream .... from the head. I run over and the toilet had erupted. Shite and paper and all things vile coating the walls and floor and this poor guy who slipped trying to get away and was rolling in it. I was in that room several more days, and no one cleaned it up before I left.

That was my welcome to America.

Last edited:

phenomanon

Canyon
Damn Paul, that brings up some mighty unpleasant memories of dorms on the 5th floor of the main building in big blue. After getting married, we had a private room with a shared bathroom in Leb hall, that was tiny ... can't imaging it with 12 beds. Whats revolting and hilarious ... me as RTC got preferential treatment ... so we were better off than most!!!

We got ethics chits on the Flagship if we left clothing or anything on our bunks. There was no place to leave your stuff, except stuffed underneath the bottom bunk. No W/C either. I refused to live that way. It took something that I didn't have , probably dedication, to accept that lifestyle.

Terril park

Sponsor
Hello Classified, Bri and Yar. Welcome! :)

I was in LA from 1983 to about 2003. I came to Pac Base to do my OT 1-3 in 1983 from Washington DC, at age 27.....and stayed. I was in Scientology from 1974 to 2001.

I was public. I did sign a SO Contract in 1976....but was never allowed to "activate."

It is very interesting for me to hear these SO stories.....and what life was like in the SO.

That pic is amazing Paul. WoW. Something that Cult Public would NEVER be aware of.

Hope you all get to connect up with old friends...

All the best.

Leland

Some would. Any OOT at flag and maybe elsewhere
would have similar accomodation. I did on FEBC.

Leland

Crusader
Some would. Any OOT at flag and maybe elsewhere
would have similar accomodation. I did on FEBC.

what is OOT.....some sort of tech training group?

IMO any org staff, sent for training.....were not "real" public at that upper org.......they were staff...

Terril park

Sponsor
what is OOT.....some sort of tech training group?

IMO any org staff, sent for training.....were not "real" public at that upper org.......they were staff...

True. However I was only staff for 3 years or so and
public for 22 and ex for around 7 [ie not connedted with CO$]
and then FZ for16.

Kimmy

Patron
Hi Steve,

My name is Kimberly and I was in LA from 1981 - 1989. I started at the CEO (when it was attached to the CC), and later graduated to the ATA. I knew most of the kids you mentioned, and a few others:

Carly Sarkovitch
Erica and Brad
Allison Clark
Melissa Bylsma
Saya Wright
Ian (and he had a bother whose name I can't remember)
Nathaniel
Kathleen (one of the daycare watchers at the CEO)
Travis
Randy Pars
Randy Piers
Leah
Stephanie and her brother
Phillip & his twin brother (they used to call me Miss Piggy! lol)
There was another, older Alison too who got recruited and sent to the RPF soon after I got to the ATA).
Robin (she became a friend of mine soon before I left).
Jason
Therou
Joaquin
etc...

I ended up leaving in 1989 because, well basically Saya Wright was an abusive bully and I, unfortunately, was her unwilling bitch - so since we had gotten into so much trouble, she ended up getting kicked out first, and later that year, I left after my dad finally got custody of me. The Ranch had not been finished yet, but they had been talking about it and promised it to us for years by that point; so at least I was saved that whole thing!

I went back to visit my mom for 2 weeks in 1993, and I saw some of the kids: Travis, Justin, Phillip, Leah, Stephanie, Alison, and both Randy's (I saw Erica walking from far away - she appeared to be leaving the laundry room - but I never actually spoke to her). I saw Carly's dad at lunch a few times and found out through one of my friends that she was off studying somewhere. I have a few pictures of that visit, but nothing from my time there in the 80's.

After all of that, I'm not sure if you remember me or not (I wasn't a popular kid, soooo....), but I don't remember you, although your name sounds familiar to the time and place.

Hope you are doing well.

Sincerely,
Kimberly

Looking for anyone who was around the PAC/Hollyood area between 1984-1991

My name is Steve... in 1985-86 i was at a private Scientology daycare on Santa Monica Blvd called "Stans"
In 1987 I was sent to the CEO and in 88 i became a Cadet and was at the ATA until 1990 just before they moved everyone out to the Ranch. A few years later i escaped...

These are some of the names i remember from back then

Travis Mcarthy
Ben Shulman
Justin and Sterling Miscavige (Yes i read Jenna's book and know theyre out)
Carly Sarcavich
Seth Price
Brad and Erica Blair
Alison Clark

Justin and Julia (twin brother and sister form the midwest US)
Therou (not sure spelling)
Daniel(Swedish kid)
A big brown kid everyone nicknamed "Wookie" his sisters name was Mika
Nathanial (was the C/0 Of the ATA in 1988)
Phillip (french Canadian who had a twin brother who i forget?)
Zeb
Robin Hilda (poor girl was bullied badly)
BJ
Stephanos
Emma

If you are any of these people...or you think you might be one of these people.. or you think you might know any of these people... id be interested to hear from you

Sincearly,

Kimmy

Patron
Hi,

If I remember correctly, Wookie's real name was Joaquin - if I am thinking of the same kid... :)

They are.

Wookie, IIRC, was the son of a woman named Jan (not sure of her last name, maybe Blount). Big (white) woman; Wookie was black. Was the CO PBC at one time and I think she spent some time as the CO CEO.

Kimmy

Patron
Hi Mr. Blair,

My name is Kimberly Nieves and I also went to both the CEO and ATA with your son and daughter (they might remember me as Miss Piggy. lol) Carly was nice to me when I first got there, and so was Erica. Carly and I lived in the same building at the time (the one on Wilcox), so we would take the bus together. My mom is Linda, and she worked in the SMI office which was next to the security office just inside the horseshoe entrance.

I saw Erica from afar back in 1993 when I came back to LA for 2 weeks to visit my mom, but I never got a chance to speak with her.

I now live in WA State with my son who is a Junior in high school.

I'm glad everyone is doing well. Please give them my regards.

- Kimberly

I knew most of those kids as I was in the PAC area from 1979 until 1991. I was a NOTS auditor and CS at AOLA. Brad and Ericka were my children.

Brad Blair never wanted to be in Scientology or the SO. He was forcefully recruited and signed the billion year contract
when he was 14 and neither I nor his mother were ever consulted. He was on the EPF for a very long time and was trying to get them to kick him out. You are supposed to only be on the EPF for something like six weeks and if you fail to finish it in that time you are required to be offloaded. Well Brad was on it for like a year and was trying to get offloaded. When the supervisor would ask him definitions he would say something completely off the wall. He tried all kinds of tricks to get them to offload him but it failed.

Brad left the SO when he turned 18 and is now happily married to a wonderful girl and lives in Alabama. He is a Christian as am I and we both accepted Christ independently of each other.

Ericka lives in California and she is still a believer of Scientology. She is married and has four beautiful children. She works at a Scientology school in Pasadena. Ericka knows all of the kids that you mentioned above and is still in communication with most of them. Brad knows them as well but is not in communication with any of them.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Ian (and he had a bother whose name I can't remember)

I think you're probably thinking of Ian Pires. His brother (half brother) was Zeb Sims. Their mother is Nicole (Wheldon) Sims. She was a long time reg at AOLA. She's out of the SO now but still a Scientologist. Harold Sims, who worked at AOLA, was Zeb's father.

Kimmy

Patron
Yes! I think it was Zeb!! lol Thanks for that... :)

Ian and Zeb were older than I was, but they were always super nice to me - not all of the older kids were always nice, or the younger kids for that matter..lol - but Ian and Zeb both always took time out to chill, or explain things. Nice guys...

I think you're probably thinking of Ian Pires. His brother (half brother) was Zeb Sims. Their mother is Nicole (Wheldon) Sims. She was a long time reg at AOLA. She's out of the SO now but still a Scientologist. Harold Sims, who worked at AOLA, was Zeb's father.

Leland

Crusader
What was the story with Harold and Nicole? I assumed they were married. I know Harold left for "Flag" training around 1987? ( He had been AOLA's OT 3 Course Room Sup for some time....years)

I never saw him return from Flag...and never saw him again.

Then Nicole left AOLA also.

I saw her once in a parking lot...several years later...in a nice looking red Corvette...so assumed she was doing OK.

Did Harold ever return? What did Nicole do after the Sea ORg?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Dear Kimmy!!

67487.jpg

It's so wonderful to know another PAC child has gotten out and made a life for her/himself!

I am so happy you joined and posted!

Best wishes,

Mary

Kimmy

Patron
Thank you so much Mary!!

I am so glad I found this forum - I admit that I never had anyone to talk to that could really understand...it's not like our situations are all that normal...lol

:)

Dear Kimmy!!

67487.jpg

It's so wonderful to know another PAC child has gotten out and made a life for her/himself!

I am so happy you joined and posted!

Best wishes,

Mary