What's new

Going Clear on HBO

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I finished watching Going Clear on HBO about 45 Minutes ago and my synapses are still firing and my thoughts fragmented. :melodramatic:

For me, personally, it was cathartic, stunning and so, Sooooo true. :yes:

Having entered into Scn in the mid-latter 60's, having been a Sea Org Senior Exec/Officer and serving on the Apollo on El Ron's Personal Staff and walking away from the SO and ultimately Scn in the mid '80's I can personally attest that this Documentary is VERY accurate, more than fair to the point of restrained understatement and personal soulful catharsis. :thumbsup:

I'm not gonna a give a detailed Critique at this point as I want to watch the recording I made several more times and fully digest all the content. :coolwink:

It's been a long time coming...Thank you Lawrence, Alex et al. :clap:

Face:)

Last edited:

Free Being Me

Crusader
Good to see you, Face! The doco is humanizing, chilling and insightful. So many Ex's speaking up. It was like seeing the My Story section of the board light up onto t.v. :clap::)

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Dear Face, and all Ex-scientologists,

After watching this film, would you participate in a second film with Alex Gibney at the helm?

JB

JustSheila

Crusader
Don't beat around the bush or anything, JB! :hysterical:

That's a huge responsibility and takes a great deal of thought. Alex Gibney took such a beating for it. So did everyone else that participated.

Maybe you should approach people one on one privately, JB?

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

I've been DYING to ask this question since I saw the film but thought it would be rude until most folks here could see it for themselves.

JB <----Has no actual connection to Alex Gibney and/or Jigsaw Productions, btw.

JustSheila

Crusader
You never fail to surprise me, JB. :giggle:

You're one of a kind, alright.

Hell of a way to make a point. Lone Star be huggin' ya for your no-nonsense, direct approach.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

That's a huge responsibility and takes a great deal of thought. Alex Gibney took such a beating for it. So did everyone else that participated.

Maybe you should approach people one on one privately, JB?

You added to your post after I responded. :)

No one here is under any obligation to respond/answer this, or any other question, I ask.

JB

JustSheila

Crusader
Yeh, sorry, JB, I added that so you didn't think I was making fun of you. You're awesome.

Hypothetically, if I were to participate in a movie exposing Scientology, I would never say so on a forum, and I would have to prep my entire family in advance, as well as be ready to take a holiday in maybe Alaska, and even then it's a really big, life-affecting decision.

But if there were, say, 500 people agreeing to appear in the next film, the repercussions wouldn't be anywhere near as bad to the individuals so 500 might just do it.

JustSheila

Crusader
You never fail to surprise me, JB. :giggle:

You're one of a kind, alright.

Hell of a way to make a point. Lone Star be huggin' ya for your no-nonsense, direct approach.

What I meant was - you asked what nobody asks out loud.

It's cool in a way, but in a way, it puts exes on the spot. There are a lot of mixed feelings about this. The subject has come up before. Not just about being in a film, but something as simple as revealing one's name or protesting without a mask. Touchy subject for many reasons - lots of different individual situations. And I better shut up now before I put my foot in my mouth again.

foot_in_mouth_funny_sayings_postcard-p239227608041056672trdg_400.jpg

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
<snip> Hypothetically, if I were to participate in a movie exposing Scientology, I would never say so on a forum, and I would have to prep my entire family in advance, as well as be ready to take a holiday in maybe Alaska, and even then it's a really big, life-affecting decision.

But if there were, say, 500 people agreeing to appear in the next film, the repercussions wouldn't be anywhere near as bad to the individuals so 500 might just do it.

Hypothetically, what if a publicly posted question doesn't get answered publicly but instead prompts individuals to consider contacting Mr. Gibney directly? Or Mr. Theroux? Or...another reputable documentarian/journalist?

If, by posing the question, it prompts an individual here to seriously consider precisely how and under what eact circumstances s/he would participate in helping to educate the public-at-large, then the question has a small measure of merit.

JB

JustSheila

Crusader
The question has heaps of merit. Much more than that.

You are misunderstanding me - probably my fault (it usually is).

I'm glad you asked it.

And separately to that, did you know a number of us participated in the research for Lawrence Wright's book with our personal stories and verification of facts by personal testimony?

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
<snip> ... did you know a number of us participated in the research for Lawrence Wright's book with our personal stories and verification of facts by personal testimony?

I certainly did. :yes:
And I remain genuinely appreciative to each and every contributor involved in that specific effort, as well as all efforts made by Ex-scientologists to help educate the public-at-large. :yes:

I'd intended to start a thread entitled, "Going Clear Part 2: What Should It Include?" (while it was still fresh in viewers' minds) but this exchange has given me pause to consider whether it, too, will be thought an injudiciously-posed direct question.

JB *puts on thinking cap to better ponder potential risks/benefits*

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
And I remain genuinely appreciative to each and every contributor involved in that specific effort, as well as all efforts made by Ex-scientologists to help educate the public-at-large. :yes:

I'd intended to start a thread entitled, "Going Clear Part 2: What Should It Include?" (while it was still fresh in viewers' minds) but this exchange has given me pause to consider whether it, too, will be thought an injudiciously-posed direct question.

JB, I feel that once the dust settles (and the rest of have seen it) that would be a great thread.

:yes:

JustSheila

Crusader
Lots of exes are no longer Anonymous but making their names known on Tony O's blog today since Going Clear aired.

WWP will be working overtime keeping up with the names of those who have spoken out, as the list adds hundreds in the next few weeks! :happydance:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

I have already posted somewhere in the last few days one thing that it should include. (But it is a secret and not going to tell you where it is hiding on the internet. ..:coolwink: