What's new

First to speak: Travolta on Going Clear

Anonycat

Crusader
John Travolta said Monday he hasn't viewed the HBO documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, currently shining an accusatory light on his church.
"No, I haven't," the star of Saturday Night Fever and Pulp Fiction said in a telephone interview, "and I don't really care to."

"I haven't experienced anything that the hearsay has (claimed), so why would I communicate something that wasn't true for me?" Travolta said. "It wouldn't make sense, nor would it for Tom, I imagine."
Travolta called Going Clear a product of "people who were disgruntled with their experiences" with Scientology, while the church "has been nothing but brilliant for me."
"I've been so happy with my (Scientology) experience in the last 40 years," he said, "that I really don't have anything to say that would shed light on (a documentary) so decidedly negative.
"I've been brought through storms that were insurmountable, and (Scientology has) been so beautiful for me, that I can't even imagine attacking it."

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-d...with-scientology-wont-see-going-clear/2224359

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
John Travolta said Monday he hasn't viewed the HBO documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, currently shining an accusatory light on his church.
"No, I haven't," the star of Saturday Night Fever and Pulp Fiction said in a telephone interview, "and I don't really care to."

"I haven't experienced anything that the hearsay has (claimed), so why would I communicate something that wasn't true for me?" Travolta said. "It wouldn't make sense, nor would it for Tom, I imagine."
Travolta called Going Clear a product of "people who were disgruntled with their experiences" with Scientology, while the church "has been nothing but brilliant for me."
"I've been so happy with my (Scientology) experience in the last 40 years," he said, "that I really don't have anything to say that would shed light on (a documentary) so decidedly negative.
"I've been brought through storms that were insurmountable, and (Scientology has) been so beautiful for me, that I can't even imagine attacking it."

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-d...with-scientology-wont-see-going-clear/2224359

Not surprising. Very predictable response.

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
What a douche. One of the commenters at the Underground Bunker (AutOmatic) is a talented artist and posted this in response to Travolta's comments.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/06/mi...-his-friend-spanky-taylor/#comment-1949813265

Translation: "Why would I want to know the truth when I'm perfectly comfortable in my little bubble of lies, being constantly pampered, and my ass always being kissed by 'yes men'?"

original.jpg

Sindy

Crusader
Analogy:

"Uh no, I won't be thinking about those people who live next door to me on both sides whose homes were demolished and belongings completely destroyed because my house wasn't hit and hurricanes have always been very good to me. Fuck those people. I had beautiful ornate walls constructed years ago to obstruct my view anyway so frankly, I think they're just dramatizing about being homeless now."

Anonycat

Crusader
To me, one of the most bizarre things he said was:

"I haven't experienced anything that the hearsay has (claimed), so why would I communicate something that wasn't true for me?"

Watching a documentary is communicating something? Maybe he means in the medical use; to catch a disease. It would have been awesome if he'd said: This movie is so full of entheta that it is restimulating my bank just thinking about seeing it. Why not tell the truth: you're not allowed to watch it. It's Entheta.

John, Yelp! is so popular because it sometimes has bad reviews that matter. Even if you love the restaurant, you may want to know they got closed down for a month for serving beer to minors or giving people food poisoning caused by health code violations. Grow up.

imSPecial

Patron with Honors
I'm not even angry. Travolta's head is where his head is and that's that. I've got relatives I swear should love me but they threw me to the ditch with a disconnection letter because the guy in their face was scary. His statement passively acknowledges personal knowledge of any number of things via him saying the words "the hearsay has claimed". His statement that he doesn't intend to watch the documentary is of no consequence. He knows of the abuse and now the world knows he knows.

Anonycat

Crusader
I'm not even angry. Travolta's head is where his head is and that's that. I've got relatives I swear should love me but they threw me to the ditch with a disconnection letter because the guy in their face was scary. His statement passively acknowledges personal knowledge of any number of things via him saying the words "the hearsay has claimed". His statement that he doesn't intend to watch the documentary is of no consequence. He knows of the abuse and now the world knows he knows.

I think it just reinforces the already extreme "creep factor" of the cult. Your cult just got its ass handed to them, and that's all you have to say about it? The cult has a lot of backwards thinking, including things like everything is a stat. If you watch it, it has you counted as a viewer. Also, it could be seen as supporting it by fellow culties. Yes, big deal, he's an obedient dog. It may look good to those still in, but not to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Everything the cult says right now is security theater put on for the benefit of the Whales. That's all that matters to DM, because that's his lifeblood right now. When that oxygen source dries up, he's going to pull the eject lever.

I just wonder where his parachute is going to take him, because this documentary is going to close off a lot of hidey-holes he might have been thinking of using. I mean, if the US Justice Department is after you, China and Russia are the first places you think of hiding, because they are big enough to be able to tell the US to kiss their ass and get away with it.

But now that his methods are exposed, they won't let him in, even if they would have ever considered it, because they won't like the competition.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Everything the cult says right now is security theater put on for the benefit of the Whales. That's all that matters to DM, because that's his lifeblood right now. When that oxygen source dries up, he's going to pull the eject lever.

I just wonder where his parachute is going to take him, because this documentary is going to close off a lot of hidey-holes he might have been thinking of using. I mean, if the US Justice Department is after you, China and Russia are the first places you think of hiding, because they are big enough to be able to tell the US to kiss their ass and get away with it.

But now that his methoda are exposed, they won't let him in, even if they would have ever considered it, because they won't like the competition.

OMG I forgot the whales, how is dotty old Miss Carriage going to stop them from seeing the entheta?

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Travolta reminds me of those "good Germans" who "didn't know" about the camps.

They didn't know because they didn't want to know.

This is what Scientology produces; a near-total inversion of ones' moral compass.

The Sloth

Patron with Honors
"I haven't experienced anything that the hearsay has (claimed), so why would I communicate [with] something that wasn't true for me?"

Uh.....Spanky Taylor was not "true" for you?

You know you are a liar.

Scientology has been beautiful to him? They stroke him, and he sees a different view than the rank and file scio. But, isn't that the life of a movie star? Their whole life is about acting in an illusion? So why would you expect him to rock the boat?
Mimsey

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
He has way more than enough resources to independently investigate the mountain of accusations but , much like when I was in , he CANNOT even fathom Hubbard or his tech or his Sea Org as capable of fault or error . That has to be broken through for his critical and independent thinking to function .

looker

Patron Meritorious
He has way more than enough resources to independently investigate the mountain of accusations but , much like when I was in , he CANNOT even fathom Hubbard or his tech or his Sea Org as capable of fault or error . That has to be broken through for his critical and independent thinking to function .

My thought is: John has been in the bubble for a long time and realizes If he said anything different than what he said it would mean disconnection from his friends and family, like it did for he and Spanky.

He probably justifies any down grades or punishment within the church as them being weak as a thetan. And as a weak Thetan they need to do an A to J to recover their status, and ethics within the church is infallible since it is 100% LRH source. Sheesh....

I think. Spanky was OT4 at the time she went to the RPF. Its unclear why she was sent to the RPF or who sent her. From what I gather Spanky was a highly regarded power terminal at CCLA and Axioms.

My thought is: John has been in the bubble for a long time and realizes If he said anything different than what he said it would mean disconnection from his friends and family, like it did for he and Spanky.

He probably justifies any down grades or punishment within the church as them being weak as a thetan. And as a weak Thetan they need to do an A to J to recover their status, and ethics within the church is infallible since it is 100% LRH source. Sheesh....

I think. Spanky was OT4 at the time she went to the RPF. Its unclear why she was sent to the RPF or who sent her. From what I gather Spanky was a highly regarded power terminal at CCLA and Axioms.
I agree with the first paragraph but I also think he's been involved most of his life, and he can't see the faults with any more conviction than I did when I was in. I was: "well, Ron, that's kinda wackie, but I gotta pass this next star rate checkout," and I pushed it out of my mind.

I think it would be interesting for John and Kelly to watch it, but will they? Looking at the old black magic 8 ball- "the outlook is not good" Mimsey

PS - I do think if they did, they wouldn't get the same level of ethics crap, as I would have if I had. I would have been sec checked right out of my old wazoo.

ask-magic-8-ball-fortune-teller-yes-no-question-prediction.jpg

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Some suggested follow-up questions to ask Travolta:

How do you know what the "hearsay has claimed," if you haven't seen and will never watch the documentary? Wouldn't it be more correct to say that you are the one who is going on "hearsay," because you have not seen the documentary? Just trying to do a little word clearing here, John.

Isn't it possible that many people, especially those not at the celebrity level, had experiences that were different from your own, and that some of these experiences involved abuse according to policies of Scientology? I'm talking about the rehabilitation project force, the hole, and David Miscavige beating his underlings, or joking about the contents of celebrity confessional folders, all because he has "command intention" and can do anything he wants. I understand how none of this matters to you, because they're not going to put a wealthy celebrity like yourself in their prison camp but...

Have you read Lawrence Wright's THE LOOMING TOWER, for which he won a Pulitzer Prize? Given his degree of intelligence, insight and careful research, why do you believe he would go crazy or become unfair when writing about Scientology in his book GOING CLEAR?

Have you seen any of Alex Gibney's documentaries, and if so, which one, and did you see it as important or insightful, or a frivolous attack piece or hatchet job?

John, you are in Alex Gibney's documentary, and it shows an interview with you were you say you would have liked to have met Ron. How much do you really know about him? Did you know that his life is very well documented, and a lot of things differ greatly from the version you are fed in the cult? You might understand some of these discrepancies which concern people, if you saw the documentary.

John, Lance Armstrong used steroids. L. Ron Hubbard was not a war hero. These are facts, John. Perhaps you should at least see the documentary to see what is said about you, so you can answer more honestly, because you'd have all the data?
---------------------

Travolta is probably willing to lie not only to protect his career/reputation, and the information in his auditing folders, but also to protect his relationship with his children. If he were to rock the Scientology boat, his wife would probably disconnect and divorce from him, and he would see his kids less often, even if they ended up sharing custody.

Both Cruise and Travolta think that their reputations are mainly built on their careers in movies, and this is true, with a majority of their fans probably. However, they aren't aware of how being associated with a manipulative and abusive cult, even if it hasn't abused them personally, will not be good for their reputations in the long run.

They aren't aware that instead of growing and becoming more popular and clearing the planet, Scientology's reputation is sliding downhill rapidly because of exposure. I think they're going to notice more pressure whereas before there was little.

Last edited:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Spanky was OT4 at the time she went to the RPF.
This does not argue in her favour. Simply because everyone who moves on in the Co$ after reading the OT-III-Xenu-BT-Space-Opera-BS is questionable - at least for me.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey JT....Welcome to 1984....err I mean scientology's thought crimes listed in the scientology ethics book. Thought stopping is definitely in there and it looks like you have bought hook, line and sinker when you said. "So, why would I even approach a negative perspective? That would be a crime to me, personally, to do that." so so sad. :goodluck: