What's new

Conway Hall, London. August 4th. "What has Scientology got to hide?"

exbritscino

Patron with Honors
Hi,

On August 4th in London, UK, there are speakers at the Conway Hall Ethical Society. The presentation is "London Thinks - What Has Scientology Got To Hide?"

The speakers are John Sweeney (BBC Panarama and "Church of Fear" fame), Tony Ortega (Unbreakable Miss Lovely), and Humfrey Hunter (publisher of John's and Tony's books).

Link to Conway Hall website below.

http://conwayhall.org.uk/event/london-thinks-what-has-scientology-got-to-hide/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Email&utm_content=Emails&utm_campaign=Emails

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi,

On August 4th in London, UK, there are speakers at the Conway Hall Ethical Society. The presentation is "London Thinks - What Has Scientology Got To Hide?"

The speakers are John Sweeney (BBC Panarama and "Church of Fear" fame), Tony Ortega (Unbreakable Miss Lovely), and Humfrey Hunter (publisher of John's and Tony's books).

Link to Conway Hall website below.

http://conwayhall.org.uk/event/london-thinks-what-has-scientology-got-to-hide/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Email&utm_content=Emails&utm_campaign=Emails

Thanks for posting about this! I wish I could attend!! It's going to be an a fun and informative event!!

Here is a direct link with more details on each presenter:

Conway Hall Ethical Society presents:
London Thinks – What has Scientology got to Hide?
Tuesday 4th August @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm | £5 - £15

Book Now

The Church of Scientology has a problem with free speech, according to three speakers who have dared to question the Church’s self-certification of itself as a religion and the claim made by its apostles, Tom Cruise and John Travolta, that it is a force for good.
US journalist Tony Ortega, author of an acclaimed biography, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper, John Sweeney, the BBC Panorama journalist and author of The Church Of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology and the publisher of both books, Humfrey Hunter, explain what it is like to question the word and the worth of The Church That Likes To Wear Dark Glasses.

Tony Ortega has written about Scientology as a journalist for nearly 20 years, and began working with Paulette Cooper about her life story while he was still at the Voice. Ortega appears in Alex Gibney’s HBO-produced documentary about Scientology, Going Clear, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.

John Sweeney is a writer and journalist. His philosophy as a reporter is: ‘I poke crocodiles, if crocodiles they be, in the eye with a stick.’

He’s helped free seven people falsely accused of killing their babies and reported on wars, revolutions and trouble in 80 countries, but he’s most famous for doing an impression of an exploding tomato while investigating the Church of Scientology.

Humfrey Hunter previously published John Sweeney’s book, The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology, and last year brought Russell Miller’s landmark biography of Scientology’s founder, Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard, back into print for the first time in 27 years.

Books will be available to purchase and get signed on the night.

http://conwayhall.org.uk/event/london-thinks-what-has-scientology-got-to-hide/

Terril park

Sponsor

I'll recognise you.

If you see someone who looks like a currently deposed inter-galactic ruler that'll be me.

Seriously though, I will say hello.

:cheers:

I too am a currently deposed intergalactic ruler. Different Galaxies I expect.

Happy to meet another deposed intergalactic ruler. Not many of us left.

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
I too am a currently deposed intergalactic ruler. Different Galaxies I expect.

Happy to meet another deposed intergalactic ruler. Not many of us left.

And what a pleasure it all was ... surprised to not see many comments about the evening.

It was great to meet Tony O, Jon Atack, Pete Griffiths, your good self and many other ex's and ESMBers, but one thing people may not know is just how brilliantly
hilarious John Sweeney is. :yes:

Terril park

Sponsor

And what a pleasure it all was ... surprised to not see many comments about the evening.

It was great to meet Tony O, Jon Atack, Pete Griffiths, your good self and many other ex's and ESMBers, but one thing people may not know is just how brilliantly
hilarious John Sweeney is. :yes:

It was a pleasure meeting you, and your dad in the swarm of SPs [that the right collective term?]
There were not many ESMB regulars there but quite a few anons and "old guard" and other SPs
I've protested with, and the hall was full. There are loads of comments on Tony's blog. John Atack
and Dr David Barrett sold out the limited amount of books they brought and an interesting
comment from John Sweeney that between him and Tony they'd sold more books than there were
scientologists to date.

exbritscino

Patron with Honors
Yep, was a great evening. One thing I noticed was that all the speakers thought that scientology was complete and utter BOLLOCKS!