What's new

Debbie Cook - the story behind the story

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
OK, bad example, but it's an example.

But, here is also a thought I had, and I don't know the legal of it all. IF the COS corporations can do thru their lawyers do everything possible to prevent DM from being deposed or put on the witness stand, then the COS or IAS pays the lawyers for that. And, here's my thought, if DM somehow gets put on the witness stand or is being deposed, then that action will require DM's personal lawyer and those expenses comes out of DM's pocket. Hopefully my thought makes sense, and maybe a lawyer will know.

What? No, just no. But exactly where do you think "DM's pocket" comes from anyway? The entire cult coffers is his freaking pocket as he has demonstrated for three decades of spending tens of millions, probably more, on whims to destroy, harass and monitor everyone he fears, not to even get into his own living expenses and offices/homes which he has done and redone several times till he stops throwing fits about it.

NOT one thin dime will ever come out of "DM's pocket*" for any type of legal representation of any kind while he is head of the cult, employed by the cult or even if he leaves the cult - most CEO's have that clause in their contracts. ALL legal expenditures and representations of Miscagive are and will be paid for by the cult, without question. Of course, DM's pocket is actually all the IAS reserves and all the money in the banks and off-shore accounts belonging to the CoS, it is his personal piggy bank and every last cent of it would be spent to ensured DM never sees the witness stand or inside of a prison cell if that's what it took.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
What? No, just no. But exactly where do you think "DM's pocket" comes from anyway? The entire cult coffers is his freaking pocket as he has demonstrated for three decades of spending tens of millions, probably more, on whims to destroy, harass and monitor everyone he fears, not to even get into his own living expenses and offices/homes which he has done and redone several times till he stops throwing fits about it.

NOT one thin dime will ever come out of "DM's pocket*" for any type of legal representation of any kind while he is head of the cult, employed by the cult or even if he leaves the cult - most CEO's have that clause in their contracts. ALL legal expenditures and representations of Miscagive are and will be paid for by the cult, without question. Of course, DM's pocket is actually all the IAS reserves and all the money in the banks and off-shore accounts belonging to the CoS, it is his personal piggy bank and every last cent of it would be spent to ensured DM never sees the witness stand or inside of a prison cell if that's what it took.

don't confuse CEO's of a business with a religion that the COS/DM can play as a card. CEO's of a business cannot play the religion card.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
BB,
If you search up the threads on Debbie Cook you will see that for some people writing that email does not erase the real and terrible harm she did while she was on top. She lived very, very well for awhile and took a lot of money from people.

Your attacks on DB are really not warranted. Do your research. But I think that Knows makes a good case for the people who are not impressed by Debbie Cook.

thanks, I know the history.

I apologize to DB, I had my "Falling Down" day, well, actually it's been about a week. It's a great movie to watch, we all have our "Falling Down" days. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eREiQhBDIk

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
The Pope partnered monetarily with Nazi Germany and fascist Italy during World War II and did nothing to stop the murder of millions of civilians as a result. DM has never and will never approach this level. The well-documented story is here:

"God's Bankers: A History of Money and Power at the Vatican" by Gerald Posner.

That is a position taken by some recent historians. People closer to the time had different opinions.

For example, Golda Meir, then Israelís Minister of Foreign Affairs, delivered a eulogy on behalf of the nation of Israel to the United Nations, :
We share the grief of the world over the death of His Holiness Pius XII. During a generation of wars and dissensions, he
affirmed the high ideals of peace and compassion. During the 10 years of Nazi terror, when our people went through the
horrors of martyrdom, the Pope raised his voice to condemn the persecutors and to commiserate with their victims. The
life of our time has been enriched by a voice which expressed the great moral truths above the tumults of daily conflicts.
We grieve over the loss of a great defender of peace

WTF did you expect him to do? Lead a charge with his Swiss Guards against the Germans? As it stands thousands of Catholic priests died in the concentration camps. Let's say Pope Pius did a radio address condemning Hitler? What response would you have expected? The Germans would have stormed the Vatican and put every Catholic priest in Europe in the camps.

BunnySkull

don't confuse CEO's of a business with a religion that the COS/DM can play as a card. CEO's of a business cannot play the religion card.

I'm not confusing anything, most high ranking CEO's have what's termed a golden parachute, but DM has a entire B52.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
WTF did you expect him to do? Lead a charge with his Swiss Guards against the Germans? As it stands thousands of Catholic priests died in the concentration camps. Let's say Pope Pius did a radio address condemning Hitler? What response would you have expected? The Germans would have stormed the Vatican and put every Catholic priest in Europe in the camps.

Probably better to start another thread and not hijack the Cook one. I would be happy to delete my comment if that helps [but I can't edit it now].

Last edited:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Did Debbie do some bad shit while she was in the SO ?
From my view : Absolutely, she did ! Oh, so did many others, too - some less, some more.

Did Debbie get given some bad shit while she was in the SO ? Same answer as above.

Did Debbie take a pay off ? Same answer as above.

BunnySkull

if that were true, you should probably include Mike, Marty and Ray Jeffrey in that photoshoot. :confused2:

Why in the world would you say that??

Rinder, nor Rathbun, has taken any payoff from the cult as of yet and continue to speak their mind. (Well in Marty's case he's had to be careful the last few months but only because his wife is suing the cult, which is pretty bad ass and the opposite of taking a payoff.)

Jeffery is an attorney, he's never been a Scientologist, yet he had the spine of steel to take on the cult to represent Debbie and others against the litigation machine that has kept most lawyers from touching a scientology case with a 10 foot pole. (With a handful of very exceptional and very rare lawyers who have suffered greatly for their work.) Jeffery above all deserves insane major kudos, not any finger pointing about "pay-offs" or being part of a criminal enterprise. He never did any dirty work for the cult, or had any involvement at all, he was just a Texas attorney who had taken the rare step and helped fight against the evil organization that is Scientology when they have tried to silence, harass or fuck with former members (Debbie Cook) or employees (like the PIs that followed Pat Broker for two decades and spilled the beans on their work) or innocent victims (Mosey).

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
Why in the world would you say that??

Rinder, nor Rathbun, has taken any payoff from the cult as of yet and continue to speak their mind. (Well in Marty's case he's had to be careful the last few months but only because his wife is suing the cult, which is pretty bad ass and the opposite of taking a payoff.)

Jeffery is an attorney, he's never been a Scientologist, yet he had the spine of steel to take on the cult to represent Debbie and others against the litigation machine that has kept most lawyers from touching a scientology case with a 10 foot pole. (With a handful of very exceptional and very rare lawyers who have suffered greatly for their work.) Jeffery above all deserves insane major kudos, not any finger pointing about "pay-offs" or being part of a criminal enterprise. He never did any dirty work for the cult, or had any involvement at all, he was just a Texas attorney who had taken the rare step and helped fight against the evil organization that is Scientology when they have tried to silence, harass or fuck with former members (Debbie Cook) or employees (like the PIs that followed Pat Broker for two decades and spilled the beans on their work) or innocent victims (Mosey).

I didn't mean it from the point of view they also got a pay-off, I meant from the view that they convinced her to take the settlement.

Have you not read Mike Rinders original post linked in the OP? :confused2:

Here's a snip:

"So, when the church indicated they would be interested in settling the case, both Marty and I told Debbie and Wayne they should do so. We advised them to walk away with whatever they could get and get on with their lives knowing they had struck a blow the likes of which scientology, and especially Miscavige, had not experienced before. A blow that would have never-ending ramifications. That toothpaste was well and truly out of the tube and smeared all over Miscavige’s bathroom mirror.

At first, Debbie adamantly refused to even entertain the idea of settling.Marty and I convinced her to do so. Marc Headley also talked to her, both he and Claire DID know what it was like to engage in a legal battle with scientology and they were plaintiffs. He too advised her to take the win and walk away with her head held high.

I think what finally convinced Debbie that it was not cowardly to settle with the church was the fact that their marketing company had been toileted because of disconnection – most of their clients were Scientologists in the bubble – cutting off their only source of income. But more devastating was the fact that while all this was going on Ray Jeffrey’s long-time law partner was diagnosed with aggressive, advanced breast cancer. Ray had relied on her to take care of his other clients and cases while he devoted himself almost full time to defending Wayne and Debbie. That was no longer an option, and though Ray never told them he was unwilling or unable to continue to fight for them, we all understood the inhumane pressure it would put on Ray to have to try and carry both loads. On top of that, Debbie had a relapse of her Fibromyalgia symptoms.

Debbie and Wayne were drained financially from just round one and though many people made generous donations to their cause, they had no way to continue to fund a lawsuit of this magnitude. The church already had more than a dozen attorneys involved on their side

Settling was the only viable option. It was not as if they were walking away with their tails between their legs. Debbie had stood on the rooftop and shouted long and loud that there was something rotten in Denmark. When they tried to knock her off the roof she had inflicted serious injury as she fought to not be silenced. Injury that has continued to resonate with people to this day. The “Debbie Cook email” and her video’d testimony and media interviews will never go away.

But when you are overwhelmingly outgunned and outmanned and outfinanced, you walk away from the fight unless you have a death wish.

I pushed Debbie hard to settle. It was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned. I knew she would have to agree not to talk further, the church would not settle and would just grind her into dust if she did not agree to shut up. Whether they were right or wrong, scientology could drag out litigation for 10 years. I didn’t want to see her and Wayne and Ray Jeffrey have to live with that sort of stress and financial draining.

What happened in the settlement discussions and the terms that were agreed upon I have no idea. Neither Marty nor I were involved. It was hammered out between Debbie and Wayne and Ray and the church and its lawyers."

Unless I have misread, Marty was part of Debbie Cook's legal team, as an adviser. He had to bow out on some aspects of the settlement procedure. I assume that was demanded by CoS. However, as an important adviser to Jeffrey and Cook, I assume Marty got paid. If he did, he would have had some financial interest in whether Cook should settle or not.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Late to the thread, but I'm curious....

Because she took a settlement, she can't write more about Scientology?

Can she be called as a witness in a civil case such as Garcia? Perhaps not.

But what about a federal case?

Under what circumstances could she be FORCED to testify, regardless of any nondisclosure agreements?

Anyone know?

Lone Star

Crusader
Late to the thread, but I'm curious....

Because she took a settlement, she can't write more about Scientology?

Can she be called as a witness in a civil case such as Garcia? Perhaps not.

But what about a federal case?

Under what circumstances could she be FORCED to testify, regardless of any nondisclosure agreements?

Anyone know?

Let me take a stab at answering this:

-No
-No
-No
-Probably none

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Let me take a stab at answering this:

-No
-No
-No
-Probably none

I am not sure about that - I did read or someone sent me that I read , that a gag order for a civil case does not mean that someone cannot be called to testify as a witness in a criminal case. But I am far from a lawyer...

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

Unless I have misread, Marty was part of Debbie Cook's legal team, as an adviser. He had to bow out on some aspects of the settlement procedure. I assume that was demanded by CoS. However, as an important adviser to Jeffrey and Cook, I assume Marty got paid. If he did, he would have had some financial interest in whether Cook should settle or not.
You're such a cynic. I doubt that personal financial reward had anything to do with the "take the settlement" advice given by Marty, Mike and Marc.

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious
According to legendary cult attorney Paul Morantz of rattlesnake-in-the-mailbox fame, there are two ways to legally break a gag order:

1. Reporting a crime to the police or other law enforcement agencies.
2. Being subpenaed to give a deposition under oath.

Added bonus - in one of the early Scientology vs. IRS FOIA court cases, the IRS won the right to be considered a law enforcement agency when it comes to fraud investigations.