What's new

Tony Ortega's book tour in Australia

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
Can anybody here tell me the time and location of the book launch in Adelaide please? I know it's on the 28th, just can't find any other details. Thanks.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
A very nice interview that pretty much covered everything a newbie to the subject needs to know.:yes:

And he is so relaxed and articulate. Steve Cannane said it was great 'interviewing' him for the event because he can so effortlessly answer any question.

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
A couple friends and I saw him when he was in our part of the world. He was a fantastic speaker. Excellent response to questions and interaction with the audience.

Blanky

Jump

Operating teatime
Tony's worldwide book tour is done and there are lots of comments in response to this!

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/30/at...-we-offer-thanks-to-this-websites-supporters/

Our book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, came out in May, and we then started our travels, beginning our tour in California. Since then, we’ve wandered around the US, Europe, and now even Australia. And wherever we went, no matter the size of the crowd, there were always people who had taken the time to see us — some traveling huge distances — who told us that they read this website every day, and who tried to make us understand what it means to them to be a part of this community.

That’s the part that’s really kept us going. Meeting Bunkerites from Clearwater to Seattle, from London to Phoenix, from Melbourne to Paris, has really made the years of work reporting on this strange beat all worth it.

We’d love to hear your memories of this summer and fall’s events. It’s all gone by like a blur for us, and we’d like to hear your stories.

ThAt's for sure. At the Sydney event there were bunkerites who had traveled from the Aussie outback over 1000 miles, 2000km to see Tony speak. And they had a wonderful evening.

After the show a small crowd roamed the streets looking for a quiet pub to sit and chat ... we eventually found an upstairs area in McDonalds after bypassing several noisy pubs. Tony wasn't too interested in anything alcoholic, but he really was energised by talking to likeminded people about the topic and comparing information and hearing people's stories. Tony was amazing, staying out to the early hours having fun - and then rocking back up for a grueling media schedule the next day.

Sorry for keeping you out so late Tony :blush:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Do we have post-game reports from Adelaide and Perth peeps? Please? :prettyplease:

Enquiring minds want to know what happened at the last two dates of the International Tour de Entheta.:yes:

Surely there's some SPs from the non-East Coast of this continent who can oblige?:coolwink:

Kerry

Patron with Honors
Sorry so late to report on the Perth event! :omg:

Five of us met at a pub not far from where the talk was held. So great to meet people I'd only seen on here or on the Bunker!! Hi tetloj!(There is a Perth report and pictures over there of the night and the after party back at the same pub).

I was really surprised at the turnout out: I estimated to be 50 + ... but didn't do an actual head count. Fantastic for a rainy, windy Friday night. But then we always had great turnouts for the protests back in 2008, so shouldn't have been that surprised, really.

We were a few minutes late so had to sit at the back, and that was our only complaint - it was very hard to hear Tony as a mic wasn't provided. For us "seasoned" folks and those sitting closer, it didn't matter that much as Aussie Xenu and I mainly went to show our support (and gaze at our heroes of course) - what an amazing tour that was, and though we were last on the list, at least I think we were, they made us feel our support really mattered.

There was an elderly couple who got up after the talk and told their story - such sadness, children they hadn't seen in 20 years still in. Thankfully they had one child who had left and was still part of their lives. We talked to them afterward for awhile; the pain in their faces - made me furious all over again - it always does. They were absolutely lovely and I hope we see them again some time.

MANY THANK YOUS to Bryan and Tony et al for all you have done and are doing !

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Sorry so late to report on the Perth event! :omg:

Five of us met at a pub not far from where the talk was held. So great to meet people I'd only seen on here or on the Bunker!! Hi tetloj!(There is a Perth report and pictures over there of the night and the after party back at the same pub).

I was really surprised at the turnout out: I estimated to be 50 + ... but didn't do an actual head count. Fantastic for a rainy, windy Friday night. But then we always had great turnouts for the protests back in 2008, so shouldn't have been that surprised, really.

We were a few minutes late so had to sit at the back, and that was our only complaint - it was very hard to hear Tony as a mic wasn't provided. For us "seasoned" folks and those sitting closer, it didn't matter that much as Aussie Xenu and I mainly went to show our support (and gaze at our heroes of course) - what an amazing tour that was, and though we were last on the list, at least I think we were, they made us feel our support really mattered.

There was an elderly couple who got up after the talk and told their story - such sadness, children they hadn't seen in 20 years still in. Thankfully they had one child who had left and was still part of their lives. We talked to them afterward for awhile; the pain in their faces - made me furious all over again - it always does. They were absolutely lovely and I hope we see them again some time.

MANY THANK YOUS to Bryan and Tony et al for all you have done and are doing !

Thanks Kerry, so glad you went and met some others there too. I know it was something that will stay with me forever and I'm sure for you too.

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Do we have post-game reports from Adelaide and Perth peeps? Please? :prettyplease:

Enquiring minds want to know what happened at the last two dates of the International Tour de Entheta.:yes:

Surely there's some SPs from the non-East Coast of this continent who can oblige?:coolwink:

Sorry Scooter!

I'm a 4 1/2 hour drive away so made a weekend of it with my eldest boy, coming back last night (after obligatory shopping of country folk in the big smoke)

I live-blogged on the bunker:
http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/30/at...-we-offer-thanks-to-this-websites-supporters/

(set comments to oldest - the event started about the same time as the post went up so my posts are early in the feed).

My comments are as Ella Raitch and another Bunkeroo, I.C.N. SP also blogged a few comments - he was at the Melbourne event, but in Perth for work so popped in for a second go - I think this might be the only case in the book tour of someone travelling across a continent to go to a second event.

I met up with Kerry, Aussie Xenu and other Bunker poster What'sup for drinks before kick-off - really great to meet people in the flesh for the first time and am keen to stay in touch for other events (e.g. possible Anonymous protests in 2016).

After the event, I pinched event posters for Kerry and I, then the Bunkeroos went out for drinks with Tony and Bryan, who was there with his fiancee and family in Perth. Bryan has such a passion for this story and for working on eliminating this harm. We had a conversation about the recent Narconon stories he did (Scooter posted a similar story) and spoke about the status of the legislation for a charitable benefits test in Australia for tax exemption. would've liked to have spoken to him for longer.

See picture below of me with my son, and Tony, What'sup in the back.

Here is what I wrote at the Bunker later that night:

Just back and here seems like a good place to put a quick catch up. A good knowledgeable crowd turned up. What'sup and I met an ESMB poster (who protested back in 2008 and has been following Scientology - mostly on OCMB) and a former Sea Orger from Perth. There were refreshments! Corn chips, chips (not sure if there were any twisties or cheezels and forgot to mention to Tony whether he had tried these epicurean delights in addition to tim tams).You saw the live blogging, The Disqus screen is so tiny on my phone I barely knew what I was typing. But did notice someone else posting - I.C.N. SP - who bravely came up afterwards and asked if I was Ella - a new fellow Bunkeroo met (and sternly told to post more!). Little known fact....I.C.N. SP went to the talk in Melbourne last week and was in Perth tonight - is this the first transcontinental attendance?
The talk covered ground we are all now familiar with...Bryan introduced a couple who came to the talk who were in Scientology in 50's, and lived next door to the Miscaviges. They shared with us their personal story of disconnection - all three of their children.
Then back to the pub where the photo above was taken. Great to meet Tony and hear first hand his reaction to Louis Theroux' film - nothing new, but always interesting to hear things in conversation. Bryan was delightful and as passionate as you would expect....a few stories shared, like the events behind the recent items he did when the Narconon appeal was heard in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. His assessment of the state of Scientology - it's circling the drain, but it's a very big drain.
What'sup was hilarious company. Raitch Jr. watched it all very quietly but says he enjoyed himself, despite being asked for ID several times (he is of legal drinking age).
A signed book, and I scored a free poster.
Back at the hotel and Stepbrothers is on TV (score!)
My biggest memory of the summer - Vaquera seemingly turning up at every event (I forget the final count).
How jealous I was, until my second biggest memory - the night (GMT+8) Tony posted he was coming to Perth and my GTFO moment
Oh, and for the record, because apparently some people haven't pick up on it - Ella Raitch is a play on LRH

original.jpg

A local atheist blogger wrote an article - will find the links and post here.

I also had an email report from Adelaide and there is another blog report which was linked to the Bunker.

Back in a jiffy

Last edited:

tetloj

Blondsense blog about the Adelaide event
https://blondesense.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/a-night-with-tony-ortega/

The crowd was a decent enough bunch, but clearly had only a passing interest in Scientology, and were more invested in sharing their brushes with the COS, or their first year Sociology thesis on group hysteria and the need to ‘belong’. Nick Xenophon was also in attendance to supply a parliamentary angle to all the questions about tax exemption, freedom of religion and charity status. Impressively, Tony got each of the political references that the crowd chuckled over and Nick was able to add perspective to the incredulous continuation of tax exemption for the COS in Australia.

Also from Adelaide - from a person I was liaising with over the Facebook event pages

Thank you so much - it was a great night! We had about 70 people which was fantastic and the question and answer session went really well. I haven't had a chance to read the comments at the bunker but Tony started his article talking about it which was fantastic!

A lot of people mentioned seeing him on the Drum - and the owner of his venue put an extra staff member on last night after she heard him on the radio and thought it might be bigger than she had expected!

And afterwards many different groups of people were playing the "who do you think were the scientologists" game. I am sure if they don't out themselves you will get to play too!

I have attached a photo for you (I was just about to post it on Facebook as well).

I really hope you have a great night Friday night, please let me know how it goes!

(having trouble posting the picture - but it is of Bryan, Nick and Tony on stage)

Token Skeptic report of the Perth event:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tokens...ga-in-perth-with-the-unbreakable-miss-lovely/
Discussions ranged about “what people DO in the name of religion” making all the difference when it comes to religion and cases like Paulette Cooper revealing more and more about Scientology; the advent of the internet (I asked a question about Anonymous and essentially, they have been a big help), the 40 thousand or so members today in comparison to the 100 thousand in the 1990s, and some amusing revelations about the timing of Star Wars and L. Ron’s move out of the public eye. - See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tokens...unbreakable-miss-lovely/#sthash.ExRjlyr0.dpuf

tetloj

I will add about the Perth, I didn't see anyone suspicious hanging around ... it was all very laid back. I'd agree with Kerry's account of about 50 people.

If you read Kylie Sturgess' report, Kerry, apparently someone was able to confirm for the couple that their youngest son was still alive.

I hope at least some of these children come home soon.

And one moment I'm not particularly proud of...when the man was explaining how they lived next door to the Miscaviges, he put his hand out as you do when talking about a young child, to indicate the height of the child. I am so conditioned to J&Ding about the obnoxious dwarf's height that I'm ashamed to say I did an inadvertent snort at this stage, and drew a few glances. Couldn't help myself...the man was indicating a height of about three feet, and in my head I thought "yeah, that's still about right".

Kerry

Patron with Honors
Thank you for all that information tetloj. You did such a fantastic job of putting it all together - as the night went on it became more and more apparent just how much work you had put into this event - and then drove for nearly 5 hours to get there!! And no, I certainly didn't hear you snort...that I can recall. LOL. And thanks again for the poster!

I imagine you are by now back in your stunningly beautiful part of the world. :wave:

tetloj

Got home yesterday but am still recovering today. Nice early night for me. It was worth it though.

I did a drive by of the new Org - still a beige building, no signs of life, tilt up concrete construction without windows!

Drove within a block of the existing org but no time to get there. Turns out Tony was staying within a couple of blocks. Wonder if the Org staff were aware/on notice?

Northern Shewolf

Patron Meritorious
As always reading threads past date....
So happy all of Aussies got to have a visit and, looks like, some sort of reunion party :party::clap::happydance:, and most of all I rejoice at the entheta media-fest the whole continent bathed in!
Lovely.:yes: