What's new

Leah Remini book out Nov. 3: ‘Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology’

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Leah Remini bears the weight of a huge responsibility on her shoulders. In the 'View' video it was stated that she was the most famous person ever to leave the CofS. I have to admit that I did not have a clue who she was before this latest interest in her and her book.

While she is in the full glare of the media spotlight she has to clearly and succinctly elucidate the truth about many aspects of scientology, and that, because many elements of the church are so bizarre, is not an easy task and is one that I do not envy her in having to perform.

She has an opportunity to bring about a major change in people's understanding of the cult, providing that her answers to the questions she is being asked by the media are given in a way that is easily understood and digested by the general public at large. I admire her courage and honesty and wish her the best of luck with her part in shining a light on this pernicious and evil pseudo religion.

I agree. I watched her interview on the Wendy show and could see her frustration at the simplistic and general questions she is being asked. For one she answered "that's why I wrote a book!". She also stated that she was giving her opinions on leaving scientology as she felt it right after giving them while in. This gal has integrity.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
She has an opportunity to bring about a major change in people's understanding of the cult, providing that her answers to the questions she is being asked by the media are given in a way that is easily understood and digested by the general public at large. I admire her courage and honesty and wish her the best of luck with her part in shining a light on this pernicious and evil pseudo religion.

Yep :yes:

Also I think all her story and statements bring credibility to all weirdo stuff public heard here and there about $cientology mindfuck and slavery (seep deprivation - bad food - rpf prison - lie detector interviews-disconnection-slave work - children indoctrination - life destroyers...)

We are at the edge of the critical point , when there are more celeb who left and escaped (holmes) than there are still in the cult..the one remaining are becomming a public laughter subject...Cruise and Ally, especially for their weirdo behavior. The public now knows, with the gracious help of CO$, what happen to those who dare to criticize the corporate organisation and the mindfuck ufo pseudo mental tech..

There is no way any pr campaign can repair this...life has it's own rules a cult can't control!

Last edited:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree. I watched her interview on the Wendy show and could see her frustration at the simplistic and general questions she is being asked. For one she answered "that's why I wrote a book!". She also stated that she was giving her opinions on leaving scientology as she felt it right after giving them while in. This gal has integrity.

I was put off by the disjointed rambling nature of the format but that is the successful format for that audience and Leah handled it well. I would also point out that the audience responded positively and strongly at the mention that her family left with her so these people really do get it and that is what counts.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I was put off by the disjointed rambling nature of the format but that is the successful format for that audience and Leah handled it well. I would also point out that the audience responded positively and strongly at the mention that her family left with her so these people really do get it and that is what counts.

Yes, she did deal with it well and the response was great. I think the fact that she can connect with normal people so well is the biggest factor in this whole amazing media storm.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Leah Remini's explosive new book resonates with Twin Cities-based sister

Star Tribune: Leah Remini's explosive new book resonates with Twin Cities-based sister

http://www.startribune.com/leah-rem...ates-with-twin-cities-based-sister/340348471/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

In her new autobiography, "Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology," Leah Remini goes after high-profile targets like Tom Cruise and Sharon Osbourne, but she has nothing but warm regards for one Twin Cities resident.

Sister Nicole Remini-Wiskow, who moved to Minnesota over a decade ago to raise her two kids, is portrayed in the just released book as a rock who stood by her younger sister even as she faced criticism from the church they both grew up in.

In the acknowledgments, the former "King of Queens" star thanks Nicole for her bravery and willingness to fight her battles.

"You are much stronger than you believe," Leah writes in a biography that has been heavily hyped in People magazine and on "Good Morning America. "If I'm in a fight, I want you by my side. Always."

Remini-Wiskow said her younger sibling first read the passage to her out loud this past weekend while they were shared a hotel room together during a publicity stop in New York.

"I was literally like a kid," Remini-Wiskow said Wednesday, taking a break from cleaning her bathroom. "I threw my hands over my eyes and started crying."

While the book is primarily about Leah Remini's love-hate relationship with Scientology, which led to a severed friendship with Cruise and his then-wife Katie Holmes, it also chronicles some of the challenges faced by her older sister, who she claims was verbally abused by a counselor when they were both growing up in the church's military-style program for kids. The book also claims that Remini-Wiskow was punished over false accusations that she had sex while in the camp's care.

"It's bringing up a lot of memories," said Remini-Wiskow, who is currently working for a website that helps organize high-end vacations. "It's almsot like a therapy session for me."

Remini-Wiskow left Scientology in 2000, about 13 years before her celebrity sister broke ranks. Remini-Wiskow said she had considered writing her own book in the past, but didn't want to be seen as the "black sheep" of a family still engaged with the church.

Remini-Wiskow said her sister, who admits in the book that she has a combative personality, has been calmer and more peaceful since leaving Scientology.

"I've been seeing the little child in her," Remini-Wiskow said. "This is a beautiful time for Leah."

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Going Clear Director Alex Gibney "Delighted" to See Leah Remini Speaking Out About Scientology

E! Online: Going Clear Director Alex Gibney "Delighted" to See Leah Remini Speaking Out About Scientology

http://www.eonline.com/news/712972/...ee-leah-remini-speaking-out-about-scientology

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Leah Remini has been busy speaking out about Scientology in addition to releasing her new tell-all memoir, but she was noticeably absent from Alex Gibney's expository HBO documentary, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Believe, which also pulled back the curtain on the controversial religion.

Going Clear aired earlier this year and featured interviews from Paul Haggis and other notable celebrities, but Remini, who famously left the Church of Scientology in July 2013 for the sake of her daughter, opted not to participate. Shortly after it aired on the network, Remini tweeted her support.

"Thank you to the brave who did something about it. And to those who didn't have a voice, you do now. #GoingClear," she tweeted March 30.

In a new statement obtained exclusively by E! News, director Gibney reveals that Remini and other celebrities weren't ready to come forward when he was filming his documentary.

"When I was making Going Clear, I reached out to Leah Remini and other celebrities who belonged to the church of Scientology. At the time, they were not comfortable speaking on the record, (possibly because of the fear of retaliation by CoS.)," Gibney says in the statement.

"Since the release of Going Clear, I am delighted to see that there is a safer atmosphere in which Leah and, hopefully others, now feel able to speak out about past and ongoing human rights abuses."

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Some random thoughts after reading Troublemaker…

First, what I found surprising was how well written the first one-third or so is. That part was an absolute delight to read. It had flow. It had style. I think it would appeal to everyone, even if they did not know anything about Scientology or have any interest in it or in Leah. It’s that good.

It got uneven beginning with her befriending Tom Cruise, and her struggle to kind of express what was going on in her mind with that -- her first rationalization that Cruise and Miscavige were destroying Scientology.

At the end she gets eloquent and on target about the problems with Scientology, probably helped by the books she’s read. That was a relief, because before I read the book, I thought she might be hoping it can be reformed, if only Tom and Dave were out of the picture.

Overall, the depth of Leah’s introspection completely surprised me. I thought of her as an extroverted person, and had no idea she had all that going on. She’s quite the deep thinker.

One thing she did, I think better than in any that I’ve read, is explain what Scientology is as a process, how it helped her, giving specific examples, and how it is appealing. As a never-in, she gave me a lot of new insight into why someone would be attracted to it. It was very personal and refreshingly candid.

I marveled at the way Leah dealt with the Shelly Miscavige issue. I admire her a lot for that, her boldness and persistence. Maybe Miscavige actually told a partial truth in that he doesn’t want Shelly to testify in court about his behavior or character. But that’s not why he disappeared her.

Leah has true ability to relate what she was thinking and feeling, what was said, her emotions, vulnerability, confusion, and fear. Even when it was kind of venial or lame, like her condemnation of a Sea Org worker who was drinking at Tom Cruise’s wedding, well, that’s what she thought at the time. She didn’t know there are drinkers in the Sea Org, like Starkey. I guess she thought that if you did something like drink or steal, you had to do it on the sly, like she stole food when she was in the Sea Org.

The way she revealed all her foibles impressed me, even ones that wouldn’t have been necessary to mention before Scientology tries to smear her with them.

One that annoyed me, but it was funny too, was her thinking that because she chose to wear heels and dress up to go see the Coliseum, she thought that because she had a TV series, they should let her ahead of other tourists waiting to go into the Coliseum. I was wondering though, why would there be a line in November, which is when the wedding was.

I saw a photo of her a few years back jogging in sneakers, so at least she wouldn’t wear heels for that. I hope by the time she’s 60, she abandons heels, no longer cares that she’s got stubby legs. I wouldn’t want her to break a hip or something.

Tommy and Jessica came off as detestable, as expected. Her experiences with them made me like them even less. It also made me think even more about what the hell was going on in Katie’s mind that she allowed them to monitor and report on her. The parts about Cruise made me curious for real details of what day-to-day life with him was like for Katie, Nicole or Penelope Cruz. Before Katie even had Scientology courses, did Tom speak in Scientologese to her or around her? In other words, how nuts is he. Or does Tom just use it around Scientologists like his servants or Leah.

I'm thinking that Leah, being brash, outspoken, and unforgettable, even if it's as a troublemaker, might help many inside the cult break down and want to read her book. As Leah mentioned, Cruise won't. Most Scientologists won't. Leah explained why very well.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
That the police actually never saw Shelly is a huge revelation. The following article by Ned Zeman is excellent and well informed. The last two paragraphs sum this up beautifully.

DISPATCHES
March 2014
Scientology’s Vanished Queen

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...0&spJobID=800184116&spReportId=ODAwMTg0MTE2S0

Although it’s possible Shelly was shuffled to another base, sources like Jan Weiss and Claire Headley, who knew her well, say she’ll most likely stay at Twin Peaks for as long as is required of her—not because she has to, but because she wants to. “She lives in a sort of demented altered universe,” says Karen de la Carriere. “Whatever she thinks of D.M., she is devoted to Hubbard. That’s the only life she’s ever known.”

The greater tragedy of Shelly, says Marc Headley, is that “she’s probably the one person who could just end it tomorrow. If she just walked away from the whole craziness and said, ‘O.K., this is where all the fucking bodies are buried—this is what he did with this, this is what he did with that—let’s fucking burn it down,’ it would be done.”

Tag: Michelle “Shelly” Barnett

http://tonyortega.org/2015/11/05/sc...mes-and-produce-your-wife-already/#more-26492

Yesterday, something came up that we had been preparing for. When we read Leah’s book several weeks ago, we realized that she was going to be making a claim about Shelly Miscavige that we find problematic. To prepare for it, last week we spelled out again the step-by-step developments that occurred in July and August 2013 when we first broke news of Leah’s defection and then, a month later, broke news of her reporting Shelly missing to the LAPD. Troublemaker makes several errors about this period, which, in the overall scheme of things, doesn’t make a lot of difference. But one claim made by Leah we wanted to address. She now says that a lawyer told her the LAPD never actually made contact with Shelly Miscavige after Leah filed her missing-person report on August 5, 2013, but simply marked the report “unfounded” after hearing from the church.

Leah may have heard that from an attorney, but we wanted to make it clear: Two different LAPD officials each told us that two LAPD detectives met with Shelly Miscavige after Leah filed her report. Lt. Andre Dawson told us that his two detectives met her, saw that she was in fact alive, and Shelly declined to make a public statement. When we asked Lt. Dawson if other church officials were present during this conversation with his detectives, he quickly said to us, “That’s classified.” We have also pointed out that, since we had that conversation with him in 2013, Lt. Dawson has been listed as a featured speaker at multiple Scientology events.

Leland

Crusader
Perhaps its time for a large, vocal, protest at Twin Peaks? (with lots of signs )

I saw one video the AngryGayP did there.....? ( don't have the link...)

Lone Star

Crusader
http://tonyortega.org/2015/11/05/sc...mes-and-produce-your-wife-already/#more-26492

Yesterday, something came up that we had been preparing for. When we read Leah’s book several weeks ago, we realized that she was going to be making a claim about Shelly Miscavige that we find problematic. To prepare for it, last week we spelled out again the step-by-step developments that occurred in July and August 2013 when we first broke news of Leah’s defection and then, a month later, broke news of her reporting Shelly missing to the LAPD. Troublemaker makes several errors about this period, which, in the overall scheme of things, doesn’t make a lot of difference. But one claim made by Leah we wanted to address. She now says that a lawyer told her the LAPD never actually made contact with Shelly Miscavige after Leah filed her missing-person report on August 5, 2013, but simply marked the report “unfounded” after hearing from the church.

Leah may have heard that from an attorney, but we wanted to make it clear: Two different LAPD officials each told us that two LAPD detectives met with Shelly Miscavige after Leah filed her report. Lt. Andre Dawson told us that his two detectives met her, saw that she was in fact alive, and Shelly declined to make a public statement. When we asked Lt. Dawson if other church officials were present during this conversation with his detectives, he quickly said to us, “That’s classified.” We have also pointed out that, since we had that conversation with him in 2013, Lt. Dawson has been listed as a featured speaker at multiple Scientology events.

A) They did actually meet with Shelly and she as a good little Scientology prisoner told the nice policeman what her hubby instructed her to say.

B) The LAPD is lying and never saw Shelly because DM is just cool with them. He has a perpetual LAPD stay out of jail free card.

C) This possibility is Spook-y, so I'd better not say on the public side of the forum. :nervous: :unsure:

(I hear LAPD is quite a spook-y place. CoS too....and Hollywood. Most certainly Hollywood.)

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
A) They did actually meet with Shelly and she as a good little Scientology prisoner told the nice policeman what her hubby instructed her to say.

B) The LAPD is lying and never saw Shelly because DM is just cool with them. He has a perpetual LAPD stay out of jail free card.

C) This possibility is Spook-y, so I'd better not say on the public side of the forum. :nervous: :unsure:

(I hear LAPD is quite a spook-y place. CoS too....and Hollywood. Most certainly Hollywood.)

There are millions of women who are virtual prisoners in their own homes due to religious belief systems or some kind of subjugation. Even if you took them someplace completely safe where they could start a new life many would demand to go back.

Lone Star

Crusader
There are millions of women who are virtual prisoners in their own homes due to religious belief systems or some kind of subjugation. Even if you took them someplace completely safe where they could start a new life many would demand to go back.

Millions? Wow! You mean worldwide? Or just in the US? I would think that's a little high for just the US.

Anyway, I agree essentially with what you're saying, which is why my A) possibility said that if they did talk to Shelly she probably behaved like a good girl and said that she's fine. I have also suspected that she is not necessarily resisting her banishment/imprisonment. Probably believes she "deserves it".

But I also suspect other things are possible with this situation. Can't prove any of them though. So I won't try.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Millions? Wow! You mean worldwide? Or just in the US? I would think that's a little high for just the US.

Anyway, I agree essentially with what you're saying, which is why my A) possibility said that if they did talk to Shelly she probably behaved like a good girl and said that she's fine. I have also suspected that she is not necessarily resisting her banishment/imprisonment. Probably believes she "deserves it".

But I also suspect other things are possible with this situation. Can't prove any of them though. So I won't try.

There are around 1.6 billion Muslims half of which would be women. That is pretty good for a base figure. Then ad women who are living a life of subjugation due to cultural or other reasons and, yes, I do think there are millions of women who are in a situation where they are virtually prisoners in the home but many are indoctrinated into accepting or supporting the reasons for it.

We place a lot of emphasis on the reasons Shelly may have been put in isolation but maybe the bigger story here is why a well known intelligent capable woman in a supposedly democratic society with a democratic legal system would choose to stay in isolation.

The police must deal with women routinely who refuse their help and there is nothing they can do about it or they don't have the resources or expertise to deal with it.

My own experience with being in the Sea Org is that the constant shift of blame and introspection on "Ethics" onto the individual and reporting on other people is soul crushing and I wasn't in it nearly as long as Shelly, and I didn't do the Truth R/D.

But yes, I agree, anything is possible.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

https://twitter.com/13blog/status/661929376834039808

attachment.php

Attachments

• NikCameron.PNG
    NikCameron.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 109

Daisy

Patron with Honors
Loved the book, I laughed out loud a few times. She is one gutsy lady. Deciding to go on DWTS after just leaving the cult blew me away. So brave.

Hearing how Jessica Feshback speaks to people is disgusting. She was never like that before she got into the SO.