What's new

FOOD STAMPS ? How are recently out & stll IN's doing ?

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Saw many leave the SO with pretty much only the clothes on their back for possessions.

And public go BK & be unable to pay any bills & try to live off friends & family.

So much for ' making the able more able ' as it seems like many once capable people left broke ( & broken ).

I wonder if more X's have applied for food stamps than there are active in the cult today ?

Get tangled in up in the cult seems to never end well - even for the zealots.

Am I wrong ?

( I already wished everyone a Very Merry Christmas )

Ral Z

Patron
I will respectfully disagree. Life outside the SO is very promising for someone with an SO work ethic.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I will respectfully disagree. Life outside the SO is very promising for someone with an SO work ethic.

It depends on how old you are when you leave, and how long you've been in.

A 22 year old who has only been in a few years can recover quickly. Get a GED, take classes at community college, get some work experience, you're all set. It's easier when you have relatives on the outside willing to help.

Somebody coming out in his 50's after spending his whole life in the SO, with no outside experience, knowing nobody outside Scientology, having forgotten how to speak without Scn terminology, will have a much more difficult time.

I got out of the SO at a relatively young age, after two years or so in. I made my decision to leave when I realized that if I stayed in much longer, it would be very hard to re-establish myself in my pre-Scn career.

Gib

Crusader

I already had that work ethic before I joined staff, I was able. While I wasn't in the SO, I was on staff at the org. Not only did I have to be stressed out about the weekly hill 10 of thursday 2 pm stats, every damn month I had a hill 10 of meeting monthly rent, and also including the daily food, where was that supposed to come from? Working 24/7 sending letters out = inflow?

(everyday thinking I only have so many days left on my staff contract, :melodramatic:)

oh yah, the stable datum was make it go right, week after week, month after month. No wonder people goes nuts in scientology.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

And I'd respectfully suggest " SO work ethic " is a myth. yes, there are ( & have been ) hard working people in the SO & that brought that ability TO the SO - they did not GET it from the SO.

Many of us have seen people in regular business life every now & then work straight through the night to get something done - or even in a frickin hobby work right through the night for fun.

I know some people look at the SO as some wonderful thing. To me, the wonderful thing was the caliber of people who joined and tried to make it all work ( unfortunately it was a shit pile Hubbard created that had no possibility of ever working ).

Once people got out, recovered, got on their feet again they did fine.

However that period in which they were spit out of the SO or crashed off lines as public could be rough. I'm talking about that very real rough period not some sort of imagined glory days in the SO running around in a faux navy uniform while thriving on rice & beans.

Hypatia

Pagan

Not sure I really agree. Some ex staff have disconnected from family and have no one. Even with a good work ethic, that's tough.

Thing is, to do ok in the world, one has to know how it works. Being enmeshed in an isolated circumstance for years with no time off is not necessarily conducive to that.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Not sure I really agree. Some ex staff have disconnected from family and have no one. Even with a good work ethic, that's tough.

Thing is, to do ok in the world, one has to know how it works. Being enmeshed in an isolated circumstance for years with no time off is not necessarily conducive to that.

And not only having no one to turn to, having been crushed on a personal level by the 'organization'.

Some people get so made wrong & caved in it is hard for them to feel they have much self worth.

Not only broke but broken. Who else in the world turns people out like that ?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
And not only having no one to turn to, having been crushed on a personal level by the 'organization'.

Some people get so made wrong & caved in it is hard for them to feel they have much self worth.

Not only broke but broken. Who else in the world turns people out like that ?

I recall the chapter in "Blown for Good" (by Marc Headley), where Marc talks about it taking some time to adjust to the non-Scientology world. Fortunately for him, his work in laying out magazines and such served as relevant experience for getting a job at a small magazine.

Somebody who worked for years at a job less relevant to the real world would have a harder time.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Might say scientology was a tad light on teaching people to survive ?

Last edited:

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
Did you know there is an actual HCOPL that states it is OK to receive food stamps and the Dole while you are on staff helping to clear the planet?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Did you know there is an actual HCOPL that states it is OK to receive food stamps and the Dole while you are on staff helping to clear the planet?

I remember that HCOPL. In bad economic times, staff would try to go on welfare, and be "volunteers" at the org.

Gib

Crusader
I remember that HCOPL. In bad economic times, staff would try to go on welfare, and be "volunteers" at the org.

when I was on staff, I had accumulated a boatload of parking tickets, another stressful event while on staff. Of course, I got the stupid tickets for having to be on staff and "make it go right" to be there.

I found out from another staff member that if you told the Judge you couldn't afford to pay, why you could volunteer at a non-profit organization to pay off the tickets. So, being on staff at the non-profit COS (cough), why my staff time paid for the tickets. It equated to about 2 bucks an hour and took the whole year to pay off. I had to submit every week, IIRC, my time on staff and my supervisor (HCOES) had to sign the form.

I do remember Hubbard hoping to get appropriations from the government just like the psychs do.

The 4th condition of exchange, blue diamonds, is everywhere in scientology -------->>>>>>>:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I do remember Hubbard hoping to get appropriations from the government just like the psychs do.
Obama said about 7-8 years ago that he liked Bush's "Faith Based Initiative" and he was going to expand on it. I've tried to find out if Scientology has been given any tax money from this but I haven't been able to find out so far.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Welfare? You mean like food stamps?

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I probably shouldn't laugh. Ron said "Total Cause Over Life", he never stated anything about "Total Cause Over Food".

RECRUITER
So, I noticed you just now taking your Free Personality
Test. That is very well done! You are one of the top
1% of the top 1% of all the most able beings on this planet!

WOG
Really? But I didn't even finish my test yet.
They didn't even score it, so how could you--

RECRUITER
Well just by the fact that you are here in the
org to get on your Bridge!

WOG
My bridge?

RECRUITER
Yeah, bridge to total freedom. Never mind that,
I don't want to give you absent mass.

WOG
Absent what?

RECRUITER
We could really use a fantastic person
like you on staff. We happen to be hiring
today if you are interested in a high paying
job where you help this planet.

WOG
Really? I could use the money--I'm a student
and I'd like a part time job to pay for all my
personal and school expenses.

RECRUITER
Consider your problem solved!

WOG
What? Wow! This is unbelievable.
But...well...what's the job? I mean
are you sure I can make enough each
week to pay my gas, car, insurance, rent,
utilities, tuition, books, phone and everything?

RECRUITER
There are no limitations on how much you can
make as staff! Just sign right here.

WOG
Unbelievable! Are you sure? Or are you just jacking
me up so I'll sign that contract?

RECRUITER
Ron states that every staff member can make enough
to live at a very high level of prosperity that would be
the envy of any VP of a major corporation!

WOG
Seriously? Wait, who's "Ron"?

RECRUITER
Our boss, Ron Hubbard.

WOG
He sounds amazing! I'd love to meet him
before I sign, if you don't mind.

RECRUITER
Well, he's, um.........dead.

WOG
Wutt? I thought you said he is your boss.

RECRUITER
Absolutely!

WOG
You have a dead boss?

RECRUITER
Well only his body is dead.

WOG
Weird! What's "not dead"?

RECRUITER
His spiritual identity is not dead.

WOG
Whoa! His spiritual identity works in the building here?

RECRUITER
As a matter of fact YES! He has his own desk.
Inside Office of L. Ron Hubbard!

WOG
Can I see it? I want to see what his
spiritual identity looks like.

RECRUITER
Well, you can't actually see him.

WOG
Because he is invisible or some junk?

RECRUITER
No, because he is on another planet.

WOG
Whoa...I really gotta go.

RECRUITER
I need you to sign this staff contract
before you go. So that you can have
total prosperity.

WOG
Dude, I didn't want to mention this but when
we met at that convenience store 15 minutes
ago, I noticed you were paying for your potato
chips and coffee with food stamps. That doesn't
look like total prosperity.

RECRUITER
---

[ONCE A YEAR I LEAVE THE LAST LINE OF DIALOG ON ONE
OF THESE CRINGEY CULT CONVERSATIONS BLANK,
SO FEEL FREE TO COMPLETE IT, LOL]

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron

Okay, when was there a good economic time being on staff? Our org NEVER had any living sustainable pay. We were starving staff barely making it and always borderline homeless.

Leave it to lrh to take advantage of the wogs and tax paying citizens to covertly support scn. Think about all the abortions that tax payers paid for in the free clinics the SO members were sent to. We may end up paying for the healthcare of SO members today thanks to Obamacare.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Okay, when was there a good economic time being on staff? Our org NEVER had any living sustainable pay. We were starving staff barely making it and always borderline homeless.

Leave it to lrh to take advantage of the wogs and tax paying citizens to covertly support scn. Think about all the abortions that tax payers paid for in the free clinics the SO members were sent to. We may end up paying for the healthcare of SO members today thanks to Obamacare.

When I was on Class IV org staff, I worked a regular job 8-4, got dinner, got to the org by 6, left at 10, repeat the next day. I didnt bother to pick up staff pay. Also didn't bother to show up for any after-hours "all hands", which didn't make me popular with the HAS. I waved HCOPL Foundation under her nose, which specified that Foundation staff were to go home promptly at quitting time because they had day jobs. Didn't make me popular. Didn't care. Fortunately for me I'm a very fast reader and had read the OEC volumes early in the game.

exsomessenger

Patron Meritorious
I would say that there are a lot of peaks and just as many valleys. I got out and was abandoned by my entire family. Homeless and left for dead. when my family did see me they would say wow you should be dead or in jail. Leaving the sea org when the ring leaders of your family are scientologist is like signing your own excommunication letter.

moving on means letting go of your family in the hopes that you will start a new one. all the while knowing that you will have to explain why grandpa and grandma think your an evil galactic psych hell bent on destroying their religion.

my skill set in dealing with the real world was halted at 14. the next 7 years were spent getting turned into a good little robot. when I left, knowing that i most likely would not make it without a support structure.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
I thought it was a Flag Order about government appropriations, where Hubbard stated it was fine to get government money for scn. Some interpreted this as applying to child benefit, at least in the UK. I wouldn't mind if SO parents received child benefit and used it on the kids, but they mostly used it for cigarettes. Yuck.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
The evidence comes in - some staff was in fact on food stamps.

What other ( so-called ) " church " has their staff on food stamps & welfare ?