What's new

LRH's motorcycle on Craigslist for $600K

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
One_Wheel_Motorcycle_zpspmk2d7vy.png

Holy Shite!!

That's him - Hubbard! Explorer of land, sea and air!

That looks like Hubbard circa 1928 around Bucktooth, Montana just after his bronc busting days and before his barnstorming days...

He was on his way to his Blood Brother Ceremony with the Blackfeet Indians.

Watch out for a vindictive short guy coming after you for possession of corporated material wanted for the LRH Life exhibit.

This is actually a picture of Elron Elray getting ready to race on Venus. :biggrin:

(Note the Marcabian sense of fashion.)

Last edited:

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
This is actually a picture of Elron Elray getting ready to race on Venus. :biggrin:

(Note the Marcabian sense of fashion.)

Of course you are right...but then being former scilons we are both right...Hubbard was so OT he could appear in 2 places at once...he mentioned this in the Philadelphia Doctorate Course tapes during an opium dream.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
If we're talking about SU carburetors, I had a Mini once, and, envious of the performance of Peter Buttery's Cooper 'S', I put a pair of 1½ inch SU's on it. It certainly made a difference to the MPH, but I didn't really know what I was doing and I was lucky not to have broken the crankshaft.

It was great fun though, and I'd like to have that piece of kit now (the carbs, not the mini) and put it a glass display case, it was a beautiful piece of engineering, especially the chromium-plated air filters.

Lol @ SU's, had them on my old Volvo 142, and they worked fine once set up (yeh, there were two on the old cast iron 4). I was city driving one day and stopped at a traffic light, when all of a sudden the old beasty started to rev uncontrollably, scream actually. I shut it off and pushed it to the side of the road and popped the hood. After a bit of fiddling about I found that the oil bowl on one of the SUs was near empty, this opened the throttle wide (a type of piston set up thingy), a couple of ounces of 10w30 cured that mess. Scared the piss outta me though and I was thankful I wasn't on a freeway lolol!
Good times, good times :biggrin:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
I saw the Craig's list Ad. Interestingly it does not state that it has *provenance*. It is normal when one sells very high end stuff like originals works of Art that you must have PROVENANCE for the buyer.
Definition : a record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.
This includes history and time track of previous owners and why it leads back to the authentic origin the seller is claiming.

As we are on the subject I am offering ESMBers the original coach Queen Victoria rode in up the mall to Buckingham Palace for $750,000, cash or credit cards accepted. No provenance.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I saw the Craig's list Ad. Interestingly it does not state that it has *provenance*. It is normal when one sells very high end stuff like originals works of Art that you must have PROVENANCE for the buyer.
Definition : a record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.
This includes history and time track of previous owners and why it leads back to the authentic origin the seller is claiming.

As we are on the subject I am offering ESMBers the original coach Queen Victoria rode in up the mall to Buckingham Palace for $750,000, cash or credit cards accepted. No provenance.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:thumbsup:

I'll pay any price you want for the coach as long as I get to name the Terms. :coolwink:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Yep! :thumbsup:

Had a '63 Austin-Healey MK III. My Buddy had a '60 TR 3. The Healey was pretty much a go kart with a 150hp engine, skin, leather seats and walnut dash. What fun--as long as you knew how to double-clutch! :happydance:

Get out of here ! I had a '57 Austin-Healey - the first 6 cylinder they made. Wire wheels & all !

That non syncro low gear was a bear until I learned to double clutch !
But, the electric OD was fun.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Get out of here ! I had a '57 Austin-Healey - the first 6 cylinder they made. Wire wheels & all !

That non syncro low gear was a bear until I learned to double clutch !
But, the electric OD was fun.

Way cool, Gizmo.:thumbsup:

If we woulda kept them they'd probably be worth 50 or 60k now. :bigcry:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Way cool, Gizmo.:thumbsup:

If we woulda kept them they'd probably be worth 50 or 60k now. :bigcry:

I put FUELY 289 out of a vette in mine with 3 speed taxi tranny.

I will never ever even think about putting a positive ground motor in a negative ground car.

I didn't learn enough about Lucas the Prince of Darkness with that one so I got an XKE coupe & still had enough so I got a Sprite !

The XKE was the worst vehicle, bar none, that I ever owned. For a 90 degree right turn all I had to do was stomp on the brakes - no body could ever cure that.

Red light meant overheat. I have to stop . . or I'll barf thinking about that beast. SU's dear God they had a mind of their own !

LA SCN

God what a beauty. Engine did sound a little rough at idle - could be the exhaust system - purred nicely when spooled up.

A fellow who attended the same church I did back in the day had a copy of this beauty but in silver - I used to sit in my TR3 and wait for him to pull into the parking lot. His was brand new and man o man did it purr and zoom...looked fast just sitting there.

54675738-770-0.jpg 1967 Austin-Healey 3000 Mark III BJ8 Roadster

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/austin-healey/unspecified/1821466.html

$65,000 - $75,000 :biggrin:

LA SCN

I put FUELY 289 out of a vette in mine with 3 speed taxi tranny.

I will never ever even think about putting a positive ground motor in a negative ground car.

I didn't learn enough about Lucas the Prince of Darkness with that one so I got an XKE coupe & still had enough so I got a Sprite !

The XKE was the worst vehicle, bar none, that I ever owned. For a 90 degree right turn all I had to do was stomp on the brakes - no body could ever cure that.

Red light meant overheat. I have to stop . . or I'll barf thinking about that beast. SU's dear God they had a mind of their own !

My TR3 was the worst car I ever owned...It leaked oil badly from the valve pushrod tubes exposed oddly enough on the side of the of the cast iron cylinder head. On a road trip to Puerto Penasco Mexico one hot September I'd have to stop and add oil then the damn thing would vapor lock and delay us for another while. :angry: The cooling system was definitely not ready for warm climes. One cool feature though - in the boot was a crank for armstrong starting the motor - it worked great when the accumulator was down. :eyeroll:

A friend of mine from high school had a Sprite he had shoe-horned in a 289 Ford V8 - when he had it running it was really fast like wow :yes:

I used to go out to the (BIG) municipal airport and watch the SCCA races they would hold on a shut down runway and couple taxi ways - not only did the XKE's not handle well, they always mechanical'ed out after not too many laps, usually trailing smoke...:no:

Fun days those though...:thumbsup:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
When I had my choice of a Le Mans Healy or the '57- I ( barf ) took the 6 cylinder.
it was pretty with primrose over black side panels. The little back seat was a RIOT.
Stock, it was good for 104 MPH, period - which meant damn near anything American was much faster.
It was quick starting, smooth running EXCEPT when the SU's decided to go out of sync - there went a whole day fiddling with 'em.

Wasn't my car, I didn't agree with project, but, I had my hands on putting a 455 Buick motor in a Bug Eyed Sprite.
It ended up a sort of odd drag car because it handled so badly ( as predicted ) and short on brakes ( as predicted ).

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
My TR3 was the worst car I ever owned...It leaked oil badly from the valve pushrod tubes exposed oddly enough on the side of the of the cast iron cylinder head. On a road trip to Puerto Penasco Mexico one hot September I'd have to stop and add oil then the damn thing would vapor lock and delay us for another while. :angry: The cooling system was definitely not ready for warm climes. One cool feature though - in the boot was a crank for armstrong starting the motor - it worked great when the accumulator was down. :eyeroll:

A friend of mine from high school had a Sprite he had shoe-horned in a 289 Ford V8 - when he had it running it was really fast like wow :yes:

I used to go out to the (BIG) municipal airport and watch the SCCA races they would hold on a shut down runway and couple taxi ways - not only did the XKE's not handle well, they always mechanical'ed out after not too many laps, usually trailing smoke...:no:

Fun days those though...:thumbsup:

Yep, lotsa fun those days.:yes: I also had a Royal Enfield Interceptor back then. WOW whadda a helluva machine and absolute beast!!!:love8: (I've already worn out my welcome on ESMB about that bike so I won't get off again about it now)

I went from the Healey 3000 to a '68 Datsun 2000 (the distant, early progenator of the Nissan GT-R). The reason I went from the Healey to the Datsun was because for the money I got for the Healey and my Honda 450 Cafe Racer I could make a sizeable down payment on a new Datsun 2000 Roadster and pay cash for a new Royal Enfield Interceptor. In a number of ways the Datsun was equal to or superior to the Healey (overall styling and the cockpit obviously not being among them). The Datsun's OHC 2 liter had about the same hp as the Healy, but was lighter and higher revving with a very nice all syncro 5 speed gearbox.

Of all the true sports cars I've owned the all around best one was an '85 RX 7 GSL SE...Whadda ballbuster and Porsche nuisance...At half or less the purchase price of the various extant Porsches. :happydance:

EDIT PS: What I really loved about the Healey, Datsun, RX 7 and Enfield was the Price/Performance value and that they were no frills, fluff or frou-frou well engineered, all business machines, built to give the Driver/Rider thrills, chills and tons of fun. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_g4PoVM-wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAdSmU7seU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2m0S7bSmqQ

Last edited: