What's new

"Meet US" the next Scientology Foot Bullet

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/09/sc...sites-to-battle-anti-disconnection-billboard/

If you have not seen it, Scientology bought the website StopScientologyDisconnection.net and .org and put up sites that look like
StopScientologyDisconnection.com. But is pro Scientology.

IMO all this will do is increase awareness of disconnection. It is even in the URL. So the more people type in StopScientologyDisconnection all the articles on disconnection will come up first. Then typing in Scientology will simply bring up disconnection because that term will be getting more popular.

I doubt that many of them know very much about the internet or the behavior of people on the internet because they are still using beepers.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Searching Scientology disconnecton brings up scientology.org's web page as the first hit, but then also brings up lots of anti-Scn pages.

The mistake they made, as the top of thread noted, was using the word "disconnection". The word brings up LOTS of unsavory stuff.

It brings to mind the Barbra Streisand Effect

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose 2003 attempt to suppress photographs of her residence in Malibu, California, inadvertently drew further public attention to it. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters to suppress numbers, files, and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.

(the linked wiki article also mentions Scn as an example of the Streisand Effect)

phenomanon

Canyon
http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/09/sc...sites-to-battle-anti-disconnection-billboard/

If you have not seen it, Scientology bought the website StopScientologyDisconnection.net and .org and put up sites that look like
StopScientologyDisconnection.com. But is pro Scientology.

IMO all this will do is increase awareness of disconnection. It is even in the URL. So the more people type in StopScientologyDisconnection all the articles on disconnection will come up first. Then typing in Scientology will simply bring up disconnection because that term will be getting more popular.

I doubt that many of them know very much about the internet or the behavior of people on the internet because they are still using beepers.

Looks like the same tactic they used to obtain Cult Awareness Network.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

Not exactly. The cherch filed lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit & drove CAN into BK with an over whelming number of lawsuits. Then, the bastards showed up at the court order sale of assets & bought all the files that CAN had in their possesion. OUCH !

That was before the popularity of the 'net & the wonderfulness of the ' Information Age ".

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron

Not at all but I am sure they think it is the same. With CAN they bought it and took over the phone number but here all they will do is have more people google Scientology Disconnection.

They don't think things through, they simply applied the idea of doing the same thing that worked in the past, but the internet is not the same as the telephone.

phenomanon

Canyon
Not exactly. The cherch filed lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit & drove CAN into BK with an over whelming number of lawsuits. Then, the bastards showed up at the court order sale of assets & bought all the files that CAN had in their possesion. OUCH !

That was before the popularity of the 'net & the wonderfulness of the ' Information Age ".

Rest assured that I know the History of CAN. Priscilla Coates is and was a good friend. I went thru the whole fooking thing with her.
They are using the same mindset. 'get in on it! get rid of it! turn it to our advantage! take it over! Do it Now!
I was thinking that if I sent my pic, or Hilda's pic, that she would never speak to me again. LOL. She hasn't had anything to do with me for 30 years and I see no end in sight for her disconnection, So I can't see any way that this will change that. Prolly make her hate me more.

phenomanon

Canyon

Not at all but I am sure they think it is the same. With CAN they bought it and took over the phone number but here all they will do is have more people google Scientology Disconnection.

They don't think things through, they simply applied the idea of doing the same thing that worked in the past, but the internet is not the same as the telephone.

That was my thought. They do not think things thru, they follow the same Policy that worked in the past.
Sure seems like I was on the Internet ( in 1991 for me on ARS) when the CAN infiltration and takeover was going on.
One of the trubbles of old age. It all sorta runs together, like it all happened yesterday.