What's new

My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Re: My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux to show at Tribeca Film Festival

An interesting and insightful review of My Scientology Movie.

Popoptiq: Tribeca Review: My Scientology Movie Reaches Sublime Heights

http://www.popoptiq.com/my-scientology-movie-reaches-weird-sublime-heights/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

What’s brilliant about this take on Scientology is that L.Ron Hubbard himself had a deep understanding of the role of narrative in tapping into the human psyche, making Scientology itself based on fundamental theatrical ideas. Because he was a science fiction writer, he understood the powerful human desire to live a narrative that cast oneself as the hero making a powerful positive impact. So, the meta approach of acting out a religion based on the writings of a science fiction author reveals Scientology in an entirely fresh way.

From huge popularity of Yelp, Youtube, Facebook and the like, the human need to feel our experiences are making a difference in the world and that our contributions matter in some way is universal. Scientology asserts that its members are saving the universe and they are chosen as the mightily warriors. My Scientology Movie hints that much of the appeal of the religion may be that it puts members in a sort of virtual reality where their actions are saving the things that they hold most dear from eternal pain and suffering. That desire to do epic good in the world may be what makes people stay. And also may point to why it’s so hard to leave. And as Louis digs deeper into Ruthburn’s complex psyche, into interviews with ex-members, and reenactments of some of the most disturbing allegations, he goes on a much wilder ride than if he would have gained access to the church.

And, of course Scientologists begin surveillance on Theroux, following his car for hours, filming him without permission or explanation, and sending letters with disturbing private details that Louis has no idea how they discovered. And because of the theatrical roots of Scientology, the way Scientologists begin interacting with the documentary reaches a level of creepiness that is profoundly cinematic.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Louis Theroux Is Being Stalked by Scientology in a Battle of Documentaries

Very interesting interview of Louis Theroux.

Inverse: Louis Theroux Is Being Stalked by Scientology in a Battle of Documentaries.

https://www.inverse.com/article/146...d-by-scientology-in-a-battle-of-documentaries

Christine Jun

April 21, 2016

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT FROM MIDDLE OF INTERVIEW * * * * *

With the Scientology re-enactments, what were you trying to achieve besides baiting the Church of Scientology into a kind of confrontation?

LT: It was about putting Marty [Rathbun], and to a lesser extent Mark [Headley] back into a headspace, a time and place, and sort of using theatrical and dramatic technique to bring up talking points. That first day when we met Andrew, I saw how Marty was kind of re-energized. And he absolutely loved it. You can see him laughing with pleasure. When you [Andrew] shout at him: You like that shit. Dont look away, he’s just like This is exactly what it was like.

Is there anything you would've done differently in the film, given a second chance?

LT: In general, I was pushing to do more reenactments. I just think its an amazing device, and it works incredibly well. So I’m curious to know what would have happened if we’d maybe used one more.

Which one?

LT: Steve Mango, who’s the character who wants to be the next Tom Cruise. He’s a young actor who gets involved with Scientology and spends $50,000. I thought, we need to reenact the scene where Steve Mango was locked in a room - and this is his allegation against the Church, and I’m sure Scientology would deny it - and more or less coerced or pressured into giving more money, and maxing out his credit cards. I thought, well, that’s a great scene to reenact. Looking back now I’m not sure it would have worked in the film, but I did like the idea of it - Steve playing himself or the Scientology sales person. We had another re-enactment that we didn’t put in the film. We had a scene where David Miscavige and Tom Cruise go out skeet shooting, which is something that they used to enjoy doing. In the background, there are these young members of the Sea Org doing this Scientology running drill, running around a tree. It was kind of an amazing scene, but it felt like it was being pushed more by me, or us as a production, rather than by Marc Headley. It didn’t feel real.

* * * * * END EXCERPT FROM MIDDLE OF INTERVIEW * * * * *

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux to show at Tribeca Film Festival

Waaaaah - when can we see it!!!!!!

:melodramatic::grouch::bigcry::nailbiting::banghead::pullhair::hissyfit:

I can't wait to see these dramatisations.

CommunicatorIC

May 1, 3 & 8: 'My Scientology Movie' at Hot Docs Documentary Festival in Toronto

May 1, 3 & 8: 'My Scientology Movie' at Hot Docs Documentary Festival in Toronto,

http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSale...&epguid=1982376d-17a7-4bb4-9959-f38bb053d10d&

attachment.php

My Scientology Movie

SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS | 100 MINUTES | 2015 | UK | ENGLISH | CANADIAN PREMIERE | RATING:

Sun, May 1: 4:00 PM Scotiabank Theatre 3BUY TICKETS

Tue, May 3: 10:30 AM TIFF Bell Lightbox 3BUY TICKETS

Sun, May 8: 6:15 PM TIFF Bell Lightbox 1BUY TICKETS

What do you do if you want to make a documentary about the infamous Church of Scientology and they’re not willing to talk? If you’re Louis Theroux and director John Dowler, you take matters into your own hands by producing a film about the organization, using church-produced videos as bountiful source material. Inspired by the church’s own filming techniques, Theroux teams up with former senior church official Marty Rathburn to recreate scenes of violent events allegedly witnessed by Rathburn and others, casting young actors to bring them to life. Unsurprisingly, the church catches wind and puts the team under surveillance, resulting in bizarrely disquieting encounters between dueling production crews. Rich in both humour and pathos, in My Scientology Movie Theroux and company expertly peel back layers of paranoia and aggression to reveal a secretive organization on the defensive, definitively demonstrating that truth really is stranger than fiction.

Director(s): John Dower

Producer(s): Simon Chinn

Executive Producer(s):
Christine Langan
Charlotte Moore
Joe Oppenheimer
Stephen Mcdonogh
Mark Reynolds

Co-Producer(s): Vanessa Tovell

Editor(s): Paul Carlin

Writer(s):
John Dower
Louis Theroux

Cinematographer(s): Will Pugh

Composer(s): Dan Jones

Attachments

• MyScientologyMovieAtHotDocs.PNG
    MyScientologyMovieAtHotDocs.PNG
    193.7 KB · Views: 148

CommunicatorIC

"A powerfully subversive picture"

"A powerfully subversive picture"

The Film Stage: My Scientology Movie - Tribeca 2016 Review

https://thefilmstage.com/reviews/tribeca-review-my-scientology-movie/

* * * * BEGIN LAST PARAGRAPH * * * * *

My Scientology Movie is exactly what it promises to be: a personal journalistic rattrap that’s not quite as comprehensive as Gibney’s film. Directed by John Dower (who remains off camera), the film melds performative elements to create a kind of unintentional buddy comedy. As the opening credits suggest, the film was developed on social media as a simple inquiry that snowballed into a work of gonzo journalism, resulting in what could be considered an unintentional behind-the-scenes version of Gibney’s documentary. While Gibney inserts himself into his stories as a narrator, he retains distance required to maintain the authoritative tone of his work. Theroux is a citizen journalist who will go to great lengths for his inquiry; this presents friction later in the relationship in ways that I didn’t quite expect. A powerfully subversive picture, My Scientology Movie pushes back against the church’s attempt to control the narrative.

* * * * * END LAST PARAGRAPH * * * * *

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks CiC for all these reviews. I am so looking forward to seeing this film.

Louis is so delicately subversive. He is brilliant.

CommunicatorIC

‘My Scientology Movie’ Doc Gets Church’s Intimidation Tactics on Film

‘My Scientology Movie’ Doc Gets Church’s Intimidation Tactics on Film.

Reel Life With Jane - Tribeca Film Fest: ‘My Scientology Movie’ Doc Gets Church’s Intimidation Tactics on Film

http://www.reellifewithjane.com/2016/04/tribeca-film-fest-my-scientology-movie/

* * * * * BEGIN LAST PARAGRAPH * * * * *

If you have an interest in the claims made against Scientology, I recommend this film, which is an interesting progression from “Going Clear.” It’s done with much more humor, but it still packs quite a scathing punch.

* * * * * END LAST PARAGRAPH * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

How Scientology Silences Its Critics: ‘It Is a F-cking Nightmare’

How Scientology Silences Its Critics: ‘It Is a F-cking Nightmare’.

This is a very good article. I'll excerpt it only briefly below. Please read it all

Daily Beast: How Scientology Silences Its Critics: ‘It Is a F-cking Nightmare’

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...es-its-critics-it-is-a-f-cking-nightmare.html

JEN YAMATO

UNDER THE INFLUENCE 04.27.16 10:00 PM ET

How Scientology Silences Its Critics: ‘It Is a F-cking Nightmare

In the doc ‘My Scientology Movie,’ filmmaker Louis Theroux interviews many ex-Scientologists about how the Church of Scientology and leader David Miscavige intimidate apostates.

“I was the baddest-ass dude in Scientology,” declares Marty Rathbun in My Scientology Movie, a surreal documentary in which British journalist Louis Theroux attempts to make a film about the most controversial religious organization of the 20th century… only to find himself in the crosshairs when they send hostile surveillance crews out to film him right back.

Truer words have rarely been spoken about Rathbun, a devoted Scientologist for over a quarter century who served as its Inspector General and right-hand man to feared leader David Miscavige. That is, until he “blew” and left the church in 2004, thus becoming one of Scientology’s most aggressively targeted enemies.

While acting as Scientology’s second-in-command, Rathbun revealed last year in Alex Gibney’s Going Clear, he was instructed to wiretap Nicole Kidman, a suspected “SP”—or suppressive person, aka an enemy of the church—and engineer her split from the most famous Scientologist in the world, Tom Cruise. In one interview, an ex-member remembers being sucker-punched years ago during an internal church interrogation—by Rathbun, who nonchalantly acknowledges the assault when meekly challenged by Theroux. It’s no wonder he’s been subjected to one of the church’s most fervent discreditation campaigns since leaving 12 years ago. After all, as another ex-Scientologist explains in the film: “Marty knows where all the bodies are buried.”

Rathbun, who turns out to be a mystifying collaborator-slash-subject when it comes to his own past transgressions, remembers fleeing the church after spending just a few days in The Hole. “I thought leaving was the only thing I could do to wake [Miscavige] up. I thought because I held the keys to the kingdom, that should sober him up.”

In the end it was Rathbun who experienced a wake-up call. As Theroux and the film’s crew captures the umpteenth confrontation by uninvited Scientologists during their shoot, two of the church’s “squirrel-busters” spark Rathbun to renew his commitment to taking Miscavige down.
“I didn’t want to do it, but I’m going to have to pull the plug on this organization,” he tells Theroux. Later, when he refers to his former boss as if he’s Voldemort himself, Rathbun is a man on fire: “It’s as if he literally, in his warped mind, is begging me to end this all for him.”

Seriously? Marty holds the "keys to the kingdom?" Marty is "going to have to pull the the plug on this organization?" What, by having Monique fire her very competent attorney and represent herself? By perhaps convincing her to take a secret settlement in exchange for her tanking her legal case?

Pulling the plug on the organization? Right now, I don't see Marty doing shit.

Last edited:

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
Re: How Scientology Silences Its Critics: ‘It Is a F-cking Nightmare’

Seriously? Marty holds the "keys to the kingdom?" Marty is "going to have to pull the the plug on this organization?" What, by having Monique fire her very competent attorney and represent herself? By perhaps convincing her to take a secret settlement in exchange for her tanking her legal case?

Pulling the plug on the organization? Right now, I don't see Marty doing shit.

I never liked Marty. He has an aura of dishonesty about him. So go on, tell us.:drama:

Some Random Guy

Patron with Honors

I would not be surprised if Rathbun and co have already accepted a settlement from the church.

First, Mrs Rathbun fires her legal team without appointing another.:melodramatic:

Second, Mr Rathbun has gone very quiet with his anti-scn blogging:ohmy:

It would be a great PR exercise if the church can be seen as "winning" its legal battles against the Rathbuns, even if it is a staged win.

Let seen now. Pay off Monique with a few million $$$$, then insist that she fcuks up her litigation against the church which would result in the church being successful in court.

The Rathbuns leave with fistfuls of dollars and set up for life where Marty can pursue his dreams of being a writer and the church can tell its followers that it crushed a Squirrel / SP.

CommunicatorIC

Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers

Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers.

Screen Daily: Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers

http://m.screendaily.com/5103778.article

Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers

13 MAY, 2016 | BY ANDREAS WISEMAN

EXCLUSIVE: HanWay inks key deals on documentary.

HanWay Select has secured key territories on Louis Theroux’s impish London and Tribeca documentary My Scientology Movie, including with indie stalwart Magnolia for the US and Amy distributor Altitude for the UK.

Deals have also been agreed for Australia (Madman), Belgium (Dalton) and Netherlands (Cinema Delicatessen).

Directed by John Dower, My Scientology Movie sees well-known documentarian and broadcaster Theroux immerse himself in the controversial religion’s teachings and practises with one of its key defectors, Mark “Marty” Rathbun.

The film marks Theroux’s first foray into the theatrical market.

Two-time Oscar winner Simon Chinn (Man On Wire) produced under his Red Box Films banner. Finance came from BBC Films and BBC Worldwide.

The UK deal was negotiated by Mark Lane for HanWay and Will Clarke and Hamish Moseley for Altitude.

The US deal was negotiated by Josh Braun for Submarine and Mark Lane for HanWay with Magnolia.

CommunicatorIC

Re: Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers

My Scientology Movie gets cinema distribution deal

Louis Theroux to make cinema debut with Scientology documentary

The veteran filmmaker will make the leap to the big screen with My Scientology Movie

Louis Theroux may be currently fronting a series of BBC documentaries on mental health, but he’s soon to take a step up to the big leagues for his first feature film appearance in My Scientology Movie.

<snipped>

The film will be distributed by Magnolia in the US and Altitude in the UK, with the announcement made today by head of distribution Hamish Moseley (via Screendaily).

“My Scientology Movie is an incredibly funny, fascinating and at times unnerving insight into the infamous and controversial religion,” he said.

“We plan to celebrate Louis’s big screen debut with a number of unmissable events in UK cinemas in the lead up to the release later in 2016.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...ake-cinema-debut-with-scientology-documentary

Cannes: Louis Theroux’s ‘My Scientology Movie’ Finds U.S., U.K. Deals | Variety

Magnolia has taken North America rights on Louis Theroux’s “My Scientology Movie,” ahead of its Cannes market screening. Altitude Film Distribution will distribute the film in the U.K.

Deals have also just been agreed for Australia (Madman), Belgium (Dalton) and Netherlands (Cinema Delicatessen). HanWay Select is handling sales on the pic, which premiered at the London Film Festival, and more recently had its international premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Continued here:
https://variety.com/2016/film/global/cannes-louis-theroux-my-scientology-movie-u-s-u-k-1201773986/

HT - TheWrongGuy on WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/my...heroux-documentary.116782/page-7#post-2582041

CommunicatorIC

First trailer for Louis Theroux film: My Scientology Movie

First trailer for Louis Theroux film: My Scientology Movie.

[video=youtube;AIyJOp-tK0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyJOp-tK0k[/video]

CommunicatorIC

Louis Theroux confirms My Scientology Movie is finally getting a theatrical release

Louis Theroux confirms My Scientology Movie is finally getting a theatrical release.

Entertainment.ie: Louis Theroux confirms My Scientology Movie is finally getting a theatrical release

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news...nally-getting-a-theatrical-release/380909.htm

After it garnered a huge reaction at the Edinburgh Film Festival and the Tribeca Film Festival, Louis Theroux's documentary on the inner workings of the Church of Scientology looks set for a wide release.

Speaking in a recent Q&A, Theroux confirmed that the film has a distributor and that it'll be in cinemas soon. "For me it's a big departure, because it's the first theatrical released documentary I've ever made. It was conceived and shot as a cinematic movie, it's 100 minutes, and it investigates and attempts to get under the skin of what for me is the Holy Grail of stories: America's homegrown religion created by a science fiction writer, and structured like a corporation. With Tom Cruise."

Theroux also confirmed that the distributor, Altitude, was also responsible for the stunning Amy Winehouse documentary that scooped the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature last year. The controversy surrounding Theroux's documentary has been huge, with the Church of Scientology putting both Theroux and the filmmaking team under constant surveillance.

Not only that, Theroux admitted that they've received numerous legal threats from the Church throughout production.

We've contacted a number of Irish distributors to see what the story is with the Irish release date, as it's likely it'll be on the same date as the UK one. However, there might a few legal challenges to the film's release in Ireland. Alex Gibney's documentary on the Church of Scientology, Going Clear, was delayed from broadcasting over legal attempts and claims of libel.

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
Re: Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' converts US, UK buyers

I think this may have the biggest impact of any mainstream evaluation of Scientology yet. Theroux's manner is humble yet viciously revealing at the same time.

:happydance: