What's new

Is the Scientology Personality Test Scientific?

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I know :confused2:

:eyeroll:

monkey-mind.jpeg

:confused2:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Out of sheer boredom one day I decided to let 'em give me a free test - located on the sidewalk at a cheap assed card table ( complete with cheap assed chairs ).
( I guess they had no permit for what they were trying to do & were willing to get their stuff confiscated on the spot ? )

Anyway, took their silly test & let them " evaluate " it & tell me what all was wrong with me & how auditing could " help " me if I got on blah-blah.

I asked if they were sure all that needed fixed & that assured me it did.

So, I asked 'em that being I had finished OT VII could I get a full refund on all that auditing I'd that apparently didn't work very well at all & just start over as they suggested from the beginning ?

Gosh, their tone with me sure changed, did I do something wrong ?

Last edited:

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious
Any test - absolutely ANY test - only measures how "well" you do that test at that time, and nothing else.

So the Scio "personality" test measures how you do the Scio personality test.

You can interpret the results any fricken way you like - that is all additive bullshit.

In other words - it is a very effective test measuring exactly what it measures.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Any test - absolutely ANY test - only measures how "well" you do that test at that time, and nothing else.

So the Scio "personality" test measures how you do the Scio personality test.

You can interpret the results any fricken way you like - that is all additive bullshit.

In other words - it is a very effective test measuring exactly what it measures.

" it is a very effective test measuring exactly what it measures " . Thank you Leon minus 2 !

You pointed out what ( almost ) everyone else has already said : It is a reg tool that is altered to show whatever " results " are desired by the reg.

Being it is a bogus " test " to begin with, why not alter the goddamned thing all to hell and back ? And, bless their hearts, they do alter the shit of it.

[ tongue-in-cheek ] Aren't Tarot cards ( known by all to be ) much more accurate ?

How about a good Shaman throwing chicken bones ?

Or a Voodoo Doctor ( Oh shit, we already got Doctor Hubbard in the mix,too ! Ah, room for two ! ) mixing a big pot of jumbo ?

A Witch stirring a cauldron ?

A Magician making your life appear in front of you ( as a fucking joke ? )

[ /tongue-in-cheek ]

Last edited:

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious
Well, excellent. So you agree then that all "scientific" tests cooked up by university psychology departments the world over are all bogus too, since they too only measure nothing other than the way the student answers that test on that day.

So in this instance Scientology is in good company.

OR, you can accept the Leonology alternative - It is impossible to measure a thetan. Can't be done in any way.

JustSheila

Crusader

You have a lot of imagination, Leon. You just made that up out of thin air. You don't need no stinkin' research or no stinkin' science when all the answers are right there in your imagination. Good for you.

As far as legitimate tests go (and the scn OCA personality test is not one of them any more than a 20 question tabloid magazine survey), there is legitimate research. I wouldn't want to bore you with words like statistics, populations, random, blind, double-blind, outliers or things like that when you've already decided to know how to know, but the variable (one of those annoying scientific research words) of someone feeling better or worse on one day or another is actually a factor (another annoying scientific research word) taken into account in the development of sweeping, broad group tests. That variable is never completely eliminated, but legitimate test questions are designed so that they are affected minimally by variables such as sleep, mood, etc.

In other words, in a legitimate test with 100 questions or so like an IQ test, it might vary 5 points depending on the person's mood, etc. that day. Minimal.

Other tests are actually designed to be short-term and measure changes before and after. Those might actually measure mood.

JustSheila

Crusader
You missed the last part:

It is impossible to measure a thetan. Can't be done in any way.

:offtopic: (oooh! that felt good to do to someone else...)

Off topic. This thread is about Hubbard's Personality test, the 'Oxford Capacity Analysis.' It is not a test about whether a person believes in thetans, has body thetans, was a body thetan, or a comparison between thetans (or elves, goats, leaves that come to life or any other religious or non-religious subject and whether or not it can be tested.)

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Out of sheer boredom one day I decided to let 'em give me a free test - located on the sidewalk at a cheap assed card table ( complete with cheap assed chairs ).
( I guess they had no permit for what they were trying to do & were willing to get their stuff confiscated on the spot ? )

Anyway, took their silly test & let them " evaluate " it & tell me what all was wrong with me & how auditing could " help " me if I got on blah-blah.

I asked if they were sure all that needed fixed & that assured me it did.

So, I asked 'em that being I had finished OT VII could I get a full refund on all that auditing I'd that apparently didn't work very well at all & just start over as they suggested from the beginning ?

Gosh, their tone with me sure changed, did I do something wrong ?

Please tell me you have pics, vids or audio of this.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, excellent. So you agree then that all "scientific" tests cooked up by university psychology departments the world over are all bogus too, since they too only measure nothing other than the way the student answers that test on that day.

The existence of pseudoscience or scientific fraud does not imply the non-existence of science.

Questionnaires do measure something real, although the subjectivity of the test is a limitation.

Not all psychology tests are subjective, though. Some of the ones done with MRI are able to actually directly measure brain patterns in response to specific stimuli. People can do serious scientific studies with data like that.
OR, you can accept the Leonology alternative - It is impossible to measure a thetan. Can't be done in any way.
If you can't measure it, perhaps it doesn't exist.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

Well, ignoring the difference in actual research & actual testing ( real tests ) on one hand as opposed to pure made up nonsense on the other hand with no actual research or testing on the other ( OCA ) - given that you are entirely correct in your thinking ( aka A = A )

"So you agree " Leon minus two, I do not agree with you & I certainly do not even begin to follow how you so quickly jumped to conclusions not in evidence - but, that is precisely what scientologists are very good at !

Thus far your reasoning in this discussion is rather like the Titanic - sudden sunk !

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
You missed the last part:

It is impossible to measure a thetan. Can't be done in any way.

True, it is impossible to measure some thing that doesn't exist.

hubbard imagined many things ( vivid imagination ? Drug &/or alcohol induced ? mental disturbances ? Misunderstanding what he read / heard from others & bending it even more ? ) , BUT, that old hubbie imagined something does NOT make it real to anyone BUT him. ( & those who swallow the bait ).

This " thetan " that hubbie imagined up to tell others about - where oh where does it exist by that name anywhere else in the history of this planet ? Nowhere !

So, gee, it just doesn't fucking exist so - as you correctly state - it can not be measured.

Congratulations ! That is the very first time I have seen you post something on this board correctly !

Yeah you Mr. Leon minus two !

<><><><><>

Last edited:

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious
Well, there's something we can agree on 100% Leon. You can't measure something that does not exist.

ha ha ha ha ha

This is a VERY clever joke and is absolutely true. Because a thetan does not "exist" in the normal sense and meaning of that word. Ha ha ha.

Very clever, Strat. Good one.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by strativarius

Well, there's something we can agree on 100% Leon. You can't measure something that does not exist.

ha ha ha ha ha

This is a VERY clever joke and is absolutely true. Because a thetan does not "exist" in the normal sense and meaning of that word. Ha ha ha.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed my joke Leon, and delighted that something so trivial could bring you such an inordinate amount of pleasure. That must mean something, but I'm not altogether sure what it is. :biggrin:

Last edited:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
ha ha ha ha ha

I think either you or I need to word clear the meaning of the word 'exist'.

If you can't measure it, you can't detect it. If you can't detect it, in what sense does it exist?