What's new

NEW BOOK - Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
NEW BOOK - Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia, by Steve Cannane

Harper Collins Publishers Australia - Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia

http://www.harpercollins.com.au/9780733331329/

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

attachment.php

Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia

by Steve Cannane

On Sale: 19/09/2016

Format: Paperback

About the Book

As astonishing as it is compelling - Steve Cannane's extraordinary insight into Scientology in Australia is investigative journalism at its very best. From Rugby League players trying to improve their game, to Hollywood superstars and the depressed sons of media moguls, Scientology has recruited its share of famous Australians. Less known is that Australia was the first place to ban Scientology, or that Scientology spies helped expose the Chelmsford Deep Sleep Scandal. Numerous Australians have held senior posts in the organisation only to fall foul of the top brass and lose their families as a result. Based on years of interviews and research, Walkley Award-winning journalist Steve Cannane tells for the first time the fascinating story of Australia's vital involvement with this powerful, secretive and punitive cult.

Product Details

ISBN: 9780733331329
ISBN 10: 0733331327
Imprint: ABC Books - AU
On Sale: 09/19/2016
Pages: 320
List Price: 32.99 AUD
BISAC1: Literature & literary studies / Reportage & collected journalism

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Attachments

• Fair Game - The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia.jpg
    Fair Game - The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,287
Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime
Would it be a bad joke to suggest that he is going to get fair gamed over this?

Australia has had some scaredy cat publishers. When the Moreton book on Tom Cruise came out in 2008 it was hard to find. Same with later titles. I hope Harper Collins has its 167 lawyers lined up :coolwink:

Glenda

Crusader
Australia has had some scaredy cat publishers. When the Moreton book on Tom Cruise came out in 2008 it was hard to find. Same with later titles. I hope Harper Collins has its 167 lawyers lined up :coolwink:

My thoughts exactly. I hope they have a good strong legal team because this book will thoroughly piss off the cult.

There are some real raw nerves about what happened in Melbourne way back and I can guarantee the cult won't want this stuff brought back into the public awareness.

Also the cult sure as hell won't want the facts about the infiltration tactics (spying) that went on with the Chelmsford/deep sleep episode, exposed. The cult just wants the accolades. The reality of the immoral (and potentially illegal) methods used along the way by the "most ethical group on the planet" (spit) should be kept secret (spit).

Go Harper Collins and Steve! :)

Jump

Operating teatime
My thoughts exactly. I hope they have a good strong legal team because this book will thoroughly piss off the cult.

There are some real raw nerves about what happened in Melbourne way back and I can guarantee the cult won't want this stuff brought back into the public awareness.

Also the cult sure as hell won't want the facts about the infiltration tactics (spying) that went on with the Chelmsford/deep sleep episode, exposed. The cult just wants the accolades. The reality of the immoral (and potentially illegal) methods used along the way by the "most ethical group on the planet" (spit) should be kept secret (spit).

Go Harper Collins and Steve! :)

According to this site, the Australian publisher will be ABC Books. That's the publishing arm of the Australian Public Broadcasting Commission. I love this book already :)

Go Steve Cannane!

From: http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/a/...rcollins&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=deeplink
Book Description

The title of this book is Untitled and is written by author Steve Cannane. The book Untitled is published by ABC Books. The ISBN of this book is 9780733331329 and the format is Paperback. The publisher has not provided a book description for Untitled by Steve Cannane.

RogerB

Crusader
As I posted on Karen#1's "Outer Banks" facebook page yesterday:

Roger OK guys! The balloon is UP!

I can vouch for the fact 1st hand that this is the MOST exactly and thoroughly researched account of the history of the cult and its build up and collapse in Australia . . . I know this because I have a little mention in the book . . . . and the things Steve Cannane found out about ME (that's right this "yours truly" here) that are out there in the archives that even I was not aware of . . . well, 'nuff said.

Steve visited me here in NYC . . . lengthy interviews, dinner in my apartment, a wonderful time wining and dining together (Roger likes to cook as does my Sweet Virginia) . . . and the wine in this establishment is the best . . .

Then the cross re-checking and verification, verification, verification . . . many email exchanges and the facts were gathered and checked, checked and rechecked . . .

More notes from me as the balloon is about to land . . .

This morning I posted . . .

Yes, Steve was the guy behind Bryan Seymour's shows on Scientology. Bryan being the presenter. Steve is now in London as the ABC European Correspondent. He is very much a straight shooter.

/

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Can't find a delete function.

Attachments

• Harper Collins blurb.jpg
    Harper Collins blurb.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
So, who's going to the Sydney launch?

I'm going! Nick Xenophon is going! Rohan Wenn is going! Woo hoo!

View attachment 13019

From the Harper Collins site, it appears that ABC Books is one of its imprints.

In response to Roger's comment, I wouldn't characterise Steve as having been behind Bryan Seymour's stories - they were competitors. Bryan did a lot of his reporting both before Steve began to cover the CoS and later based on his own research.

There were some stories that were covered by both channels, sometimes after media guru to the stars (well, to the Senator at any rate) Rohan Wenn negotiated which program would break the story. The ABC draws the political class and many highly educated viewers. Today Tonight reaches many average Aussies. So both channels/programs were a good strategic fit to get the message out. As people came forward over time, Rohan gave a lot of advice helping select the best outlet for each particular story.

RogerB

Crusader

View attachment 13019

In response to Roger's comment, I wouldn't characterise Steve as having been behind Bryan Seymour's stories - they were competitors. Bryan did a lot of his reporting both before Steve began to cover the CoS and later based on his own research.

There were some stories that were covered by both channels, sometimes after media guru to the stars (well, to the Senator at any rate) Rohan Wenn negotiated which program would break the story. The ABC draws the political class and many highly educated viewers. Today Tonight reaches many average Aussies. So both channels/programs were a good strategic fit to get the message out. As people came forward over time, Rohan gave a lot of advice helping select the best outlet for each particular story.

Ahhh, thanks for that insight and correction, Cherished.

I misunderstood Steve's reference to his having been the/a researcher behind the Scientology stories on "TV" out there . . . I am so out of date on Oz . . . when I left for the world at large, I think we only had two channels . . . the government run equivalent to the BBC and a commercial channel.

But one thing is for sure, this will be an insightful book . . . the little bit I had to read to OK showed me it is going to be a wonderful read, almost as an adventure story . . . it will not be a boring history of what was :no::no:

And it will give you stuff youse ain't seen yet!!! :eyeroll: :yes:

R

Out/Int

Patron with Honors
NEW BOOK - Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia, by Steve Cannane

Harper Collins Publishers Australia - Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia

http://www.harpercollins.com.au/9780733331329/

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

attachment.php

Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia

by Steve Cannane

On Sale: 19/09/2016

Format: Paperback

About the Book

As astonishing as it is compelling - Steve Cannane's extraordinary insight into Scientology in Australia is investigative journalism at its very best. From Rugby League players trying to improve their game, to Hollywood superstars and the depressed sons of media moguls, Scientology has recruited its share of famous Australians. Less known is that Australia was the first place to ban Scientology, or that Scientology spies helped expose the Chelmsford Deep Sleep Scandal. Numerous Australians have held senior posts in the organisation only to fall foul of the top brass and lose their families as a result. Based on years of interviews and research, Walkley Award-winning journalist Steve Cannane tells for the first time the fascinating story of Australia's vital involvement with this powerful, secretive and punitive cult.

Product Details

ISBN: 9780733331329
ISBN 10: 0733331327
Imprint: ABC Books - AU
On Sale: 09/19/2016
Pages: 320
List Price: 32.99 AUD
BISAC1: Literature & literary studies / Reportage & collected journalism

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
This is amazing.

I am so grateful to those who dared to speak out.

You are the true Humanitarians .

You are saving lives and helping people reclaim their lives back from Scientology.

To think we thought and believed we were part of a group that helped people only to find out that we were betrayed and lied to - is beyond belief.

Scientology is cruel and inhumane!

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
More truth comes out about how nasty the cult really is .

Nothing more pleasing than to see the cult ripped yet another new one !

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

View attachment 13019

Sounds like fun. Good to hear from you again Cherished.