What's new

NEW Movie: The Spellcasters - Hollywood, Scientology, The CIA and the Truth Movement

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Re: NEW Movie: The Spellcasters - Hollywood, Scientology, The CIA and the Truth Movem

I feel at least one of you should contact Josh Reeves about the issues as I do not have the indepth knowledge or experience with Scientology.

If he respects you tell him to come here if he wants to fix things. I don't know if anyone here will go out of their way just because someone said something false in a film about Scn. There are false statements made about Scn all over the place, especially by the cult itself. Falsehoods about Scn here on ESMB tend to get pounced on hard; outside ESMB not so much.

Paul

Jump

Operating teatime
Re: NEW Movie: The Spellcasters - Hollywood, Scientology, The CIA and the Truth Movem

I don't recall an issue, regularly revised, called "Disapproved Books." That would be an invitation (to some) to go buy them, thereby making them more popular. I have seen mentions of The Gods of Eden and Behold a Pale Horse as being forbidden, as well as obvious contenders like Cyril Vosper's The Mindbenders, and others. It is obvious that any book devoted to how bad the cult is would be verboten, and today there are dozens. Plus the internet. Heh.

Paul

I think I found the list...

Scientology Banned Books List

1. Books not authored by L. Ron Hubbard

2. Books not stolen and misrepresented to be authored by L. Ron Hubbard

3. Books by a doctor and a nuclear physicist are exempted.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

. . .
Rule by Secrecy: The Hidden History That Connects the Trilateral Commission,
the Freemasons, and the Great Pyramids by Jim Marrs

Heard quite a few years ago on the blogs that the book was one Miscavige
had read and approved of. Prolly why Cruise had it in his home.

Jim Marrs is an acquired taste. Conspiracy buffs especially.

None Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary Allen was on LRH's reading list back
in the 70's.

Also an acquired taste. Conspiracy buffs especially.

Alternative 3 by Leslie Watkins was very popular at Flag Land Base in '79-80.

"Many people joining the scientific "brain drain" from Britain are disappearing off the face of the Earth.

The super-powers are co-operating in space on a plan to preserve a tiny nucleus of human survivors.

It's part of a conspiracy so monstrous that the human mind can scarcely grasp its enormity."

One can see why.
:shrug:

LOL

And who can forget the truthseekingness & indicatingness of earnestly grinning Scientologists at Flag (and other suspension-of-disbelief Hubbard religious retreats) reading and passing around their copies of:

"BEHOLD A PALE HORSE"

"HOLY BLOOD HOLY GRAIL"

In Scientology, it's perfectly okay to read such supposition-masquerading-as-research, pseudoscientific, lunatic-fringe books

In Scientology, it's perfectly okay to read Hubbard's own supposition-masquerading-as-research, pseudoscientific, lunatic-fringe books.

But, in Scientology, it's a "HIGH CRIME" to read any of the brilliantly researched, treble-fact-checked, eyewitness-corroborated, perfectly accurate books written about Hubbard and Scientology by journalists and cult survivors.

CONCLUSION: In Scientology, acceptable truths are acceptable. And acceptable lies are acceptable. And, in fact, any lies are acceptable--as long as they promote a mindset that encourages the requisite magical thinking, delusion & paranoia that trigger the sacred religious rite known as donating.

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron

I think you really should watch the film and see what is presented for yourself. It's not so much focused on grooming but in a way it is through mind control and how it's being used against the world's population. It's more about how techniques developed by the CIA spawned Scientology. The whole focus in not on exposing every aspect of Scientology but more on interesting connections to military intelligence, CIA operations and projects.

Presenting Scientology's copyrighted materials in a for profit film or even for free is just an invitation for the Church to sue you. Quoting people is fine I guess but this really isn't the focus of the film.

Interesting statement and I understand but yeah, you should watch the film.

How is it you can tell that the film itself is not a form of mind control?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

I agree with that. I'm disappointed to find the errors in the movie pointed out in the forum here. It is sloppy and unprofessional. It makes it difficult for the ex-insiders to really take serious and does a disserve. I feel atleast one of you should contact Josh Reeves about the issues as I do not have the indepth knowledge or experience with Scientology.

Here are several references to LRH’s having been involved in “Intelligence”. In both cases the idea is being promoted by LRH and/or Scientology organization as either a shore story for his involvement with Jack Parsons or to inflate his biography. I would suggest that any further capitalization on the notion that there was a significant connection with the intelligence community based on these particular assertions is to reinforce the Church’s own goals and not a furtherance of the truth.

Having said that, I do believe LRH and the Church would like to cultivate a beneficial relationship with government and private intelligence agencies if possible, in order to provide legal and PR cover and to open diplomatic doors. The problem is, the Church is paranoid of infiltration and the intelligence community probably figures they are nuts.

All levels of the Sea Org are inculcated with ideas of compartmentalization, confidentiality, dossier building and reporting which emulate intelligence operations behavior and I think it is fair to say that the Sea Org culture holds the intelligence community in simultaneous contempt and envious regard.

When you have been it it you develop a sense for what is likely with these people given their value system and self delegated moral authority but within that framework just about anything is possible.
_____
A Piece of Blue Sky by Jon Atack

http://www.instinct.org/texts/bluesky/bs2-6.htm

Hubbard broke up black magic in America: Dr. Jack Parsons of Pasadena, California, was America's Number One solid fuel rocket expert. He was involved with the infamous English black magician Aleister Crowley who called himself "The Beast 666." Crowley ran an organization called the Order of Templars Orientalis [sic, actually "Ordo Templi Orientis"] over the world which had savage and bestial rites. Dr. Parsons was head of the American branch located at 100 Orange Grove Avenue [actually 1003 South Orange Grove Avenue], Pasadena, California. This was a huge old house which had paying guests who were the U.S.A. nuclear physicists working at Cal. Tech. Certain agencies objected to nuclear physicists being housed under the same roof.
L. Ron Hubbard was still an officer of the U.S. Navy because [sic] he was well known as a writer and a philosopher and had friends amongst the physicists, he was sent in to handle the situation. He went to live at the house and investigated the black magic rites and the general situation and found them very bad.
Parsons wrote to Crowley in England about Hubbard. Crowley "the Beast 666" evidently detected an enemy and warned Parsons. This was all proven by the correspondence unearthed by the Sunday Times. Hubbard's mission was successful far beyond anyone's expectations. The house was torn down. Hubbard rescued a girl they were using. The black magic group was dispersed and destroyed and has never recovered. The physicists included many of the sixty-four top U .S. scientists who were later declared insecure and dismissed from government service with so much publicity.
_____
http://www.instinct.org/texts/bluesky/bs2-4.htm

Hubbard also referred to his time in Naval Intelligence, and much is made of this experience by Scientologists. On his U.S. Navy Reserve commission papers, issued in July, 1941, he was designated a volunteer for "Special Service (Intelligence duties)," an assignment he requested. His service record shows that when he was eventually called to permanent active duty in November, he was indeed posted as an "intelligence officer." The expression conjures up cloak and dagger images better associated with the CIA's forerunner, the Office of Strategic Services, which did not exist at that time. Although the U.S. was not yet at war, France had fallen and the Japanese threat was recognized. The U.S. Navy was on a major recruiting drive when Hubbard was commissioned. The duties of intelligence officers at that time were largely routine, including the censorship of letters, and the collection, compilation and distribution of information. Hubbard nominally served in this capacity for five months, spending much of that time either in transit or in training.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron

I don't recall an issue, regularly revised, called "Disapproved Books." That would be an invitation (to some) to go buy them, thereby making them more popular. I have seen mentions of The Gods of Eden and Behold a Pale Horse as being forbidden, as well as obvious contenders like Cyril Vosper's The Mindbenders, and others. It is obvious that any book devoted to how bad the cult is would be verboten, and today there are dozens. Plus the internet. Heh.

Paul

Okay, thanks. I thought maybe they'd cooked up an actual list by now. The Catholic Church had an "Index of Forbidden Books" until the 1960's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Librorum_Prohibitorum

LOL

And who can forget the truthseekingness & indicatingness of earnestly grinning Scientologists at Flag (and other suspension-of-disbelief Hubbard religious retreats) reading and passing around their copies of:
"BEHOLD A PALE HORSE"

"HOLY BLOOD HOLY GRAIL"

In Scientology, it's perfectly okay to read such supposition-masquerading-as-research, pseudoscientific, lunatic-fringe books

In Scientology, it's perfectly okay to read Hubbard's own supposition-masquerading-as-research, pseudoscientific, lunatic-fringe books.

But, in Scientology, it's a "HIGH CRIME" to read any of the brilliantly researched, treble-fact-checked, eyewitness-corroborated, perfectly accurate books written about Hubbard and Scientology by journalists and cult survivors.

CONCLUSION: In Scientology, acceptable truths are acceptable. And acceptable lies are acceptable. And, in fact, any lies are acceptable--as long as they promote a mindset that encourages the requisite magical thinking, delusion & paranoia that trigger the sacred religious rite known as donating.

I remember a fad for the works of T. Lopsang Rampa, who wrote several pseudo-mystical pseudo-Tibetan books like "The Third Eye."

220px-Thirdeye.jpg

At the time, I assumed these were intended as fiction. It wasn't 'til years later I learned Rampa claimed they were actual fact. Rampa also, in common with LRH, claimed to have visited Venus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobsang_Rampa

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm pretty sure Plan 9 From Outer Space was on the Scientology banned list. I'm not sure if it was because it too restimulative of incident 2 or because it was just better F-Grade Sci-Fi than Battlefield Earth.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

<snip>

I remember a fad for the works of T. Lopsang Rampa, who wrote several pseudo-mystical pseudo-Tibetan books like "The Third Eye."

220px-Thirdeye.jpg

At the time, I assumed these were intended as fiction. It wasn't 'til years later I learned Rampa claimed they were actual fact. Rampa also, in common with LRH, claimed to have visited Venus.

Yes, I remember him and his books. I believe he was actually a milkman from Weston-Super-Mare (well, I made that bit up). I remember he'd come out with all the mystical stuff in his books and than end by begging his readers to send him some dough because being a guru wasn't really very rewarding financially. Maybe he should have taken a leaf out of Laffy's book.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

The Catholic Church had an "Index of Forbidden Books" until the 1960's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Librorum_Prohibitorum
One of which was the Bible in English.
Rampa also, in common with LRH, claimed to have visited Venus.

I read that link and there's no mention of freight trains.

Rampa must have visited the tropical getaway locations rather than the main cities.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes, I remember him and his books. I believe he was actually a milkman from Weston-Super-Mare (well, I made that bit up). I remember he'd come out with all the mystical stuff in his books and than end by begging his readers to send him some dough because being a guru wasn't really very rewarding financially. Maybe he should have taken a leaf out of Laffy's book.

By his 3rd or 4th book much of his writing was devoted toward dealing with constipation. Kind of like his version of BTs.

strativarius

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by strativarius

Yes, I remember him and his books. I believe he was actually a milkman from Weston-Super-Mare (well, I made that bit up).

Close enough. He was a plumber from Plympton, Devon according to Wikipedia:

Paul

Yeah, I knew there was something dodgy about him. I could have looked it up but I just couldn't be arsed. :biggrin:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I believe you may have inadvertently forgotten one tell-all autobiographical expose. . .

oh2.jpg

Brilliant & hilarious book cover graphic was provided through a generous grant of rights from the ILove2Lurk Foundation, a non-profit entity dedicated to a world without pathetic art. Thank you!

(ps: each time i look at that artwork, I am still LOL)

Last edited:

Lillywhite

How is it you can tell that the film itself is not a form of mind control?

Nice baiting. All forms of media can be considered mind control. What is exposed is the weaponization of mind control techniques purposely being used to control, shape and direct the masses

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

Nice baiting. All forms of media can be considered mind control. What is exposed is the weaponization of mind control techniques purposely being used to control, shape and direct the masses

Although the question is pretty confronting, it is a good question and certainly not bait.

If the video you have provided contains considerable untruth, but is able to convince people that it is true, it could be considered mind control (I would just use the word 'propaganda' as I don't have a clear definition of mind control). It all hinges on whether or not the video represents the truth.

We know some of facts about Scientology have not been reported accurately so it is at least a little inaccurate. If the video is more than just a little inaccurate, it could be considered mind control. If the video is more than just a little inaccurate, maybe the claims about mind control are not accurate either. I think George was inviting you to consider some of those possibilities.

People on this board are incredibly familiar with Scientology propaganda videos, often produced in a facility in Hemet, California. Some people here have worked there. Perhaps George looked at the video and noticed an eerie familiarity.

strativarius

There's an online archive of Rampa's books, although there are words missing so the text doesn't always make sense;

http://www.lobsangrampa.org/research-material.html

Thanks for posting that list Cat's. Ya know what - so many of those titles seem familiar I must have read more of his books than I'd care to admit.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for posting that list Cat's. Ya know what - so many of those titles seem familiar I must have read more of his books than I'd care to admit.

Me too. I said more about him in this post;

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...l-Not-Answer&p=1023581&viewfull=1#post1023581

He was certainly popular at one time, and had a big following. One reason was that his books were published by Corgi in paperback and were very cheap - less than a pound each in the late 70s (when I bought them).