What's new

My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
My Scientology Movie: a perceptive mix of psychological drama and reality TV

My Scientology Movie: a perceptive mix of psychological drama and reality TV.

The Conversation: My Scientology Movie: a perceptive mix of psychological drama and reality TV

http://theconversation.com/my-scien...x-of-psychological-drama-and-reality-tv-63921

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

Throughout the film, Theroux is unflappable and calm, even as the Scientologists raise the stakes or Rathbun turns on him. At times, he offers erudite commentary about the religion. He is fair too, and while Scientologists will disagree with his representation of them, one senses he never set out to make an anti-Scientology polemic. This is clear from the probing questions he puts to Rathbun.

My Scientology Movie is not a big picture account of the religion. It reveals little about Scientology’s complex and esoteric beliefs, or the lives of its ordinary followers. However, Theroux never treats Scientology as a wacky American curiosity.

Rather, his film, which gives rise to critical questions about the responsibility religious leaders have in the lives of their followers, and the outcomes when that is abused, makes for brave and clever filmmaking.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * * *

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Author

Andrew Singleton

Associate Professor of Sociology and Social Research, Deakin University

Disclosure statement

Andrew Singleton receives funding from the Australian Research Council for a project examining young people's attitudes to religious diversity.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux to show at Tribeca Film Festival

From the article

My Scientology Movie will be released Australia-wide on 8 September

I'll be in Melbourne on the 8th....anyone want to get a group together?

Anonycat

Crusader
Re: My Scientology Movie written by Louis Theroux to show at Tribeca Film Festival

[video=youtube;2KEPvQMkN9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEPvQMkN9s[/video]

Jump

Operating teatime

From the article

I'll be in Melbourne on the 8th....anyone want to get a group together?

Oh cool. You guys have a blast.

Maybe we can do something in Sydney too ?

CommunicatorIC

My Scientology Movie review: Louis Theroux turns lack of access into a virtue with funny, sinister results

SBS - My Scientology Movie review: Louis Theroux turns lack of access into a virtue with funny, sinister results

http://www.sbs.com.au/movies/review...rns-lack-access-virtue-funny-sinister-results

Inspired by Joshua Oppenheimer’s The Act of Killing, where the Indonesian subjects were convinced to make astonishing movie recreations of their genocidal acts, Theroux tries a similar approach. Aided by ex-Scientology bigwig Marty Rathbun, they undertake casting sessions for the film’s head honcho, David Miscavige and other key Scientology figures. (The scenes involving Tom Cruise lookalikes are particularly delicious and reveal much about the Hollywood milieu in which Scientology thrives.) Once cast, these actors are made to perform publicly available speeches as well as recreating private meetings and typical ‘auditing sessions’ where members are brainwashed in the name of personal development. These involve practicing intimidation techniques, and speaking to an ashtray ‘with authority’.

Disgruntled ex-Scientologist Rathbun coaches the performers, honing their delivery until it matches his memories. ‘I was the baddest-ass dude in Scientology and the hierarchy of the church was absolutely at the beck and call of me,’ he says, with some pride. And while he’s intent on exposing and ridiculing the church, the film’s main achievement is in showing how deeply scarred he remains. One moment he’s boasting about his former power, the next he’s bristling with aggression when Theroux mildly prods for details.

phenomanon

Canyon
My Scientology Movie

O Yay and Hip Hip Hooray! " My Scientology Movie" is coming to the Port Townsend Film Festival this month...
I will be going for sure.
I don't have details yet, but will post them when I do.
I'm excited about this. Not many things related to our fav Cult get around here on the Peninsula. I won't have to Ferry over to Seattle and drive in that insane traffic, nor try for hours just to find a place to park.
Contact me if you are coming.

RogerB

Crusader
Re: My Scientology Movie

O Yay and Hip Hip Hooray! " My Scientology Movie" is coming to the Port Townsend Film Festival this month...
I will be going for sure.
I don't have details yet, but will post them when I do.
I'm excited about this. Not many things related to our fav Cult get around here on the Peninsula. I won't have to Ferry over to Seattle and drive in that insane traffic, nor try for hours just to find a place to park.
Contact me if you are coming.

So, umm . . . important peeps like the "My Scientology" Crowd know where that funny little place you live is?! They really are on the ball! :p

R

M

Moderator 3375

I have merged some odd threads on the same subject, which explains the different post titles.
M3375

phenomanon

Canyon
Re: My Scientology Movie

So, umm . . . important peeps like the "My Scientology" Crowd know where that funny little place you live is?! They really are on the ball! :p

R

OMG NO, Roger, I don't think so. Who is the "My Scientology" crowd?
But Port Townsend is a well known, charming old Victorian City, a very "Artsy" population, shopping opportunities, and the Filmfest draws people from
all around . It's a 2 day affair.
I found the Website yesterday. ptfilmfest.com

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Louis Theroux’s Scientology Movie

[FONT=&amp]Posted on September 5, 2016 by Mark C. Rathbun | Leave a comment[/FONT]

I found the film “My Scientology Movie” to be saddening. It evidences the degeneration of a once considerable talent, award-winning producer Simon Chinn. During my involvement in the movie’s creation I witnessed Chinn being sucked into the staged-news, infotainment vortex that seems to have consumed the erstwhile Fourth Estate. I will share a back story to the project to illustrate the concern.

continues: https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/louis-therouxs-scientology-movie/

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Louis Theroux’s Scientology Movie

[FONT=&amp]Posted on September 5, 2016 by Mark C. Rathbun | Leave a comment[/FONT]

I found the film “My Scientology Movie” to be saddening. It evidences the degeneration of a once considerable talent, award-winning producer Simon Chinn.

Poor Marty, his whining like an old woman leads me to suspect that he has no balls and/or has lost some [STRIKE]marbles[/STRIKE] BT's - some of the good ones.

CommunicatorIC

Tony Ortega has a story on Mark "Marty" Rathbun's takedown of Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie.

Tony Ortega: As Louis Theroux’s Scientology movie hits theaters, its main subject accuses it of deception

http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/06/as...ers-its-main-subject-accuses-it-of-deception/

Less than a week after he tore into Ron Miscavige’s memoir Ruthless for its harsh portrayal of Ron’s son, Scientology leader David Miscavige, Rathbun has now published a lengthy and detailed takedown of how My Scientology Movie was made, accusing its makers of being dishonest. (Theroux’s movie opens on October 10 in the UK, and in the US in January.)

CommunicatorIC

Steven Mango is a percipient witness to the interactions between Mark "Marty" Rathbun and Louis Theroux, and has responded on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevenfmango/posts/1151106691629261?pnref=story

[NOTE: The above link was the original source. It is now broken. See screenshot below for verification.]

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Steven Mango
3 hrs ·

I was on set with Marty Rathbun and we filmed together for a whole day during The Hole reenactment scene. HERE IS THE TRUTH of what really happened on set of My Scientology Movie!! I was there on set the whole day of reenactment scenes when Marty was threatening to never discuss Scientology or speak to the press again and he talked about closing up shop on filming further for Louis' movie. That's all true, he told me he was tired of "the same old questions" about Scientology and he seemed annoyed at Louis -- and continually lashed out at Louis and the crew. Marty and I had an interesting conversation on camera that didn't make it into the film and we did hit it off. I don't have anything against the guy, this is just the truth of the matter. During filming, I even tried getting in the middle of Marty and Louis (on camera, not shown in the film) when things went awry between them and disagreements happened. I was trying to tell them how we were on the same team and we want to use this platform to accurately depict life in Scientology and to stop arguing. He would lash out at the director and at Louis and was difficult for the crew to work with. Now, we did get scripts of a general direction from Marty himself (he denies this) and we were cast to play specific staff members in The Hole. I was Marc Yager. Marty was directing the scenes and was very pleased during the scenes of violence and dramatic recreation. He was in charge of the authenticity of what we were filming as a re-creation from his own personal experience and wrote an outline for Louis and was approved for filming. I don't buy it as a dramatic recreation of Louis' own imagination when Marty did in fact approve this scene, including dramatization of Tom Cruise and other scenes that didn't make the cut (Debbie Cook, etc). Marty went along with filming knowing full well what was happening each step of the way. This film wouldn't have happened without Marty's participation, consulting, and knowledge of Scientology that lead to the final product. He is responsible for the outcome to some degree. At the NYC Tribeca film screening, John & Louis both told me that Marty has seen the film, was unhappy with his being portrayed as crazy, and is now in revenge mode of disassociating with the project altogether. *mic drop*

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

attachment.php

Steven Mango has retweeted a news report containing his response to Mark "Marty" Rathbun and linking to ESMB.

attachment.php

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
An expert opinion from Tony's article which summarizes it:

Tony Ortega said:
Tom DeVocht has a short appearance in My Scientology Movie, and he also spent time as a prisoner in the Hole. He has seen the movie, and we asked him, was the portrayal of Miscavige abusing people in the Hole, as portrayed by Andrew Perez and overseen by Marty Rathbun, an accurate one?

Yes, he told us, but then he said the scene only began to portray Miscavige’s depravity. “There were times it got so much more intense, and so much uglier, you wouldn’t believe it,” DeVocht says. And he can’t understand why Rathbun would try and convince people that Miscavige was any less violent than the film portrays.

It’s ridiculous that he’s saying that. How many of us were there and can tell you that’s the way it actually was?” DeVocht says. “Marty’s lost it. All of those statements he made are bullshit.

CommunicatorIC

VIDEO: Steven Mango responds to Marty Rathbun's allegations re Louis Theroux’s movie

VIDEO: Steven Mango responds to Marty Rathbun's allegations about Louis Theroux’s movie re: Scientology.

[video=youtube;VHMzQcPKKmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMzQcPKKmc[/video]

Exposing the Lies of Marty Rathbun | My Scientology Movie

Steven Mango

Published on Sep 6, 2016

I expose the truth behind what happened on set between Marty Rathbun and the BBC on the film set of My Scientology Movie. In My Scientology Movie, I discuss my story, as well as performed in reenactment scenes of experiences of others within the Church.

Marty Rathbun posted a blog discrediting the BBC and My Scientology Movie. However, I was on set with Marty and I tell the truth of how it was actually working on set with Mr. Rathbun.

Marty's Blog: http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/louis-therouxs-scientology-movie/

Tony Ortega's Blog: http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/06/as-louis-therouxs-scientology-movie-hits-theaters-its-main-subject-accuses-it-of-deception/