What's new

AOSH ANZO mission

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hey all you ANZO guys, my brother Matt Henderson did a famous/infamous mission, depending on your viewpoint, to prepare ANZO for the establishment of the new AOSH ANZO. He declared a bunch of people, and went back to Int. He was gifted an upgrade of 1st Class on Air New Zealand for his return trip, out of staff contributions. When he got back to Int., expecting a Power condition award, he was instead screamed at by Marc Yeager , for accepting the gift, and had to pay it back out of his pay over the next year. Any fill in you have to the events between his arrival and departure, I would appreciate knowing the story. Mike Henderson

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hey Mike,

I'd love to know more details about this time period too. I was a new Scientologist at the time in Melbourne but was aware of the push going on in Sydney. I don't have any data to share but I hope others do.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
OHTEEATE: You're saying that the gift to your brother (seating upgrade) was paid for by the staff contributing extra independently of what was being paid by the org? Did all those staff members get reimbursed by his payback?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Hey all you ANZO guys, my brother Matt Henderson did a famous/infamous mission, depending on your viewpoint, to prepare ANZO for the establishment of the new AOSH ANZO.

Mike, What do you mean "the establishment of the new AOSH/ANZO"? Was it a new building? The org being renovated?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
OHTEEATE: You're saying that the gift to your brother (seating upgrade) was paid for by the staff contributing extra independently of what was being paid by the org? Did all those staff members get reimbursed by his payback?

I'm personally positive they never saw any of that money.

The purpose of making Matt pay it back, I'm sure, was an "ethics handling" on him.

Not because Yager had any sense of fairness to the amoeba on the bottom of the food chain.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I'm sure they never saw any of the money either. The question was rhetorical.

I just find it amazing that someone uplines decides to put someone down because the people he helped got together and said "thank you".

OHTEEATE

AOSH/ANZO

Once upon a time, there was no AO or SH in Anzo, then my brother arrived, slew all the dragons, and thenceforth an AO and St. Hill arrived into the newly dragonless land. Or maybe somebody who was there can fill this in a bit. Mike

Terril park

Sponsor
Barry Pemberthy, maker of ability meters was in from 1951. He set up the recorders for the Melbourne ACC in 1959. I'll ask him next time we meet.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey all you ANZO guys, my brother Matt Henderson did a famous/infamous mission, depending on your viewpoint, to prepare ANZO for the establishment of the new AOSH ANZO. He declared a bunch of people, and went back to Int. He was gifted an upgrade of 1st Class on Air New Zealand for his return trip, out of staff contributions. When he got back to Int., expecting a Power condition award, he was instead screamed at by Marc Yeager , for accepting the gift, and had to pay it back out of his pay over the next year. Any fill in you have to the events between his arrival and departure, I would appreciate knowing the story. Mike Henderson

That sounds like typical Sea Org!

CAN'T HAVE CAN'T HAVE CAN'T HAVE CAN'T HAVE

Can't have Scientology.
Can't have sex.
Can't have training and/or study time.
Can't have libs.
Can't have children.
Can't have friends.
Can't have security.
Can't have justice.
Can't have stability.
Can't have family.
Can't have auditing.
Can't have good food.
Can't have sleep.
Can't have applause.
Can't have gifts.
Can't have money.
Can't have cell phones.
Can't have cars.
Can't have televisions.

etc
etc
etc

Carmel

Crusader
Matt Henderson Mission - ANZO

Hi Mike,
I've read your comments/questions on the mission your brother Matt did in ANZO in 83. I don't know when you posted them, but am now giving you some data in the hope it will reach you. I'm sorry about the content, as it's probably not what you would want to hear.
I was a staff member in Sydney Day at the time, and that mission is something many of us still talk about to this day. It wasn't such a good thing.
In 79/81 we had a big staff and a big booming org (we moved into a bigger and better building early 1980). It was all good mostly. Academy was full, we had a lot of HGC auditors who were flat out, 10 in the TTC, and staff were all on hatting or training (we had three auditors dedicated to auditing staff, a staff C/S, an SSO and STO at that time). We we were a team, and despite gripes we felt we had at the time, all was good.
Around 81/82, that broke down a bit. Bill Franks was kicked out, David Mayo was labelled, and the mission holders conference happened (it was pushed in our faces - even though we didn't have a clue as to what it was about at the time). We lost some staff - they were transferred up lines with no replacements (like our CO Pat Bloomberg) and some left - like Ethel Mackay and Nick Cramey. David Graham our lead C/S was transferred up lines, Snr C/S ANZO Jan Mullane, left, Genny Gray (another C/S) also left. Three C/Ses gone without replacements, in short order. Also three different Qual Secs within a twelve month period, and two key qual/cramming staff - gone! Two key HCO terminals left and went up lines. It wasn't great but we were holding our own and still doing OK.
Then Matt Henderson arrived. We weren't threatened by his arrival. Most of us hadn't ever before experienced a mission from up lines, and when he arrived, he seemed a nice enough guy.
That changed though. In short order, our CO/ED (Jo Watterson/Pollard/Reid) was routed out and declared. Several staff were decked, blew, or declared. Many of our key tech and admin personnel were decked, and black PR'ed. Some staff just blew. Many staff had to pay $500 for an ethics handling (or be declared), which consisted only of o/w write ups and mest work. We were running scared. Our key tech and admin personnel (except Jane Devlin/Whitta/Jentszh - who somehow got promoted to CO ANZO/CO CLO), were falling, left right and centre.
When interrogs came out on some of the staff who were standing up to Matt Henderson, we were seen individually, and harrassed/threatened if we didn't give data on what these terminals were saying/doing.
There were a group of people charged with mutiny and conspiracy (mainly Shane McSweeny a key Exec, and Carmel Underwood the C/S - the only C/S out of four, left). They were to be declared. We were interrogated individually for data on Shane and Carmel, and we knew that they were going down.
During this time, we had insane orders. We had to stay back, risk our moonlight jobs, pay for ethics handlings, and do unusual things to "get the stats up". Life on post became bizzarre.
For example: One day before two on a Thursday, I saw our C/S fighting with Matt Henderson in the hallway of the HGC. They were in a physical struggle. I saw the C/S end up on the floor. Later I found out that she was trying to stop Matt from knocking on an auditing door, because he was intent on stopping a session in order to get an intern out of the chair and through lines on an internship before 2pm. The C/S was decked after that, and I didn't see her for a few weeks. The intern told me later that Matt stopped the session by knocking on the door, "signed off" her intern checksheet (which was usually the C/Ses job), and told her it was time to attest to her internship. She did.
In the Div 2 area, where there were public, I saw Matt face rip staff members on two occasions (in front of public) about down stats and Counter Intention.
I was face ripped for "backflash". I was trying to explain, but he promptly said to me "How dare you question me, I am a Commodore's messenger, you are talking to LRH!". That was weird.
After two months of his presence in ANZO, my friends and I were fearful of his wrath. We didn't want to be declared or decked. It seemed that anyone who objected to orders or the out KSW being ordered, was decked or gone. It was a horrible time.
Apparently the staff comm ev'd for mutiny and conspiracy, had compiled bulk reports of what was going on (under Matt's mission), and sent them up lines via courier. We were told Shane and Carmel would be declared and that the other mutineers (currently on the decks program) would not be coming back. Things were pretty dire at that time. Most of those we looked up to, were gone. But next thing, Matt Henderson was gone and an AO opened on the third floor of our building. It was quite strange. It seemed all was forgotten. But we were left with a much depleted staff, and a previous enthusiasm and comradery was gone.
I know nothing about an upgraded air fare paid for Matt Henderson. None of my fellow staff members would have had a bean to contribute to it (nor would they have wanted to). I do know that Jane Devlin (our staff member who was all of a sudden the CO ANZO), was thick as thieves with Matt, and did everything and anything he asked.
During the mission many staff at the time got credit cards or increased their credit level to pay for "ethics handings" ($500 was a lot for staff members, who worked full time for little or no pay in 83). Many also bought books for donation purposes as "amends" - not on their origination.
If Matt's flight was upgraded, it wasn't gifted by Syd Day or Fdn staff in my opinion. It may have been gifted by Jane, with commissions on "book sales" from ethics handlings - who knows.
When Matt left, we did get an AO - but by the time he left, the Syd Orgs staff numbers decreased big time.
In early 81, we had around 200 staff. By the end of 82, after staff left, or were sent up lines, we had around 120. When Matt arrived, we still had around 120 staff. After the couple of months of Matt's mission, within a week of him leaving, we had about 40 staff. It was a shocker!

Sorry not good info, but better to have it than not.

Andrew

Patron with Honors
Hi Mike,
I've read your comments/questions on the mission your brother Matt did in ANZO in 83. I don't know when you posted them, but am now giving you some data in the hope it will reach you. I'm sorry about the content, as it's probably not what you would want to hear.
I was a staff member in Sydney Day at the time, and that mission is something many of us still talk about to this day. It wasn't such a good thing.
In 79/81 we had a big staff and a big booming org (we moved into a bigger and better building early 1980). It was all good mostly. Academy was full, we had a lot of HGC auditors who were flat out, 10 in the TTC, and staff were all on hatting or training (we had three auditors dedicated to auditing staff, a staff C/S, an SSO and STO at that time). We we were a team, and despite gripes we felt we had at the time, all was good.
Around 81/82, that broke down a bit. Bill Franks was kicked out, David Mayo was labelled, and the mission holders conference happened (it was pushed in our faces - even though we didn't have a clue as to what it was about at the time). We lost some staff - they were transferred up lines with no replacements (like our CO Pat Bloomberg) and some left - like Ethel Mackay and Nick Cramey. David Graham our lead C/S was transferred up lines, Snr C/S ANZO Jan Mullane, left, Genny Gray (another C/S) also left. Three C/Ses gone without replacements, in short order. Also three different Qual Secs within a twelve month period, and two key qual/cramming staff - gone! Two key HCO terminals left and went up lines. It wasn't great but we were holding our own and still doing OK.
Then Matt Henderson arrived. We weren't threatened by his arrival. Most of us hadn't ever before experienced a mission from up lines, and when he arrived, he seemed a nice enough guy.
That changed though. In short order, our CO/ED (Jo Watterson/Pollard/Reid) was routed out and declared. Several staff were decked, blew, or declared. Many of our key tech and admin personnel were decked, and black PR'ed. Some staff just blew. Many staff had to pay $500 for an ethics handling (or be declared), which consisted only of o/w write ups and mest work. We were running scared. Our key tech and admin personnel (except Jane Devlin/Whitta/Jentszh - who somehow got promoted to CO ANZO/CO CLO), were falling, left right and centre.
When interrogs came out on some of the staff who were standing up to Matt Henderson, we were seen individually, and harrassed/threatened if we didn't give data on what these terminals were saying/doing.
There were a group of people charged with mutiny and conspiracy (mainly Shane McSweeny a key Exec, and Carmel Underwood the C/S - the only C/S out of four, left). They were to be declared. We were interrogated individually for data on Shane and Carmel, and we knew that they were going down.
During this time, we had insane orders. We had to stay back, risk our moonlight jobs, pay for ethics handlings, and do unusual things to "get the stats up". Life on post became bizzarre.
For example: One day before two on a Thursday, I saw our C/S fighting with Matt Henderson in the hallway of the HGC. They were in a physical struggle. I saw the C/S end up on the floor. Later I found out that she was trying to stop Matt from knocking on an auditing door, because he was intent on stopping a session in order to get an intern out of the chair and through lines on an internship before 2pm. The C/S was decked after that, and I didn't see her for a few weeks. The intern told me later that Matt stopped the session by knocking on the door, "signed off" her intern checksheet (which was usually the C/Ses job), and told her it was time to attest to her internship. She did.
In the Div 2 area, where there were public, I saw Matt face rip staff members on two occasions (in front of public) about down stats and Counter Intention.
I was face ripped for "backflash". I was trying to explain, but he promptly said to me "How dare you question me, I am a Commodore's messenger, you are talking to LRH!". That was weird.
After two months of his presence in ANZO, my friends and I were fearful of his wrath. We didn't want to be declared or decked. It seemed that anyone who objected to orders or the out KSW being ordered, was decked or gone. It was a horrible time.
Apparently the staff comm ev'd for mutiny and conspiracy, had compiled bulk reports of what was going on (under Matt's mission), and sent them up lines via courier. We were told Shane and Carmel would be declared and that the other mutineers (currently on the decks program) would not be coming back. Things were pretty dire at that time. Most of those we looked up to, were gone. But next thing, Matt Henderson was gone and an AO opened on the third floor of our building. It was quite strange. It seemed all was forgotten. But we were left with a much depleted staff, and a previous enthusiasm and comradery was gone.
I know nothing about an upgraded air fare paid for Matt Henderson. None of my fellow staff members would have had a bean to contribute to it (nor would they have wanted to). I do know that Jane Devlin (our staff member who was all of a sudden the CO ANZO), was thick as thieves with Matt, and did everything and anything he asked.
During the mission many staff at the time got credit cards or increased their credit level to pay for "ethics handings" ($500 was a lot for staff members, who worked full time for little or no pay in 83). Many also bought books for donation purposes as "amends" - not on their origination.
If Matt's flight was upgraded, it wasn't gifted by Syd Day or Fdn staff in my opinion. It may have been gifted by Jane, with commissions on "book sales" from ethics handlings - who knows.
When Matt left, we did get an AO - but by the time he left, the Syd Orgs staff numbers decreased big time.
In early 81, we had around 200 staff. By the end of 82, after staff left, or were sent up lines, we had around 120. When Matt arrived, we still had around 120 staff. After the couple of months of Matt's mission, within a week of him leaving, we had about 40 staff. It was a shocker!

Sorry not good info, but better to have it than not.

Mission Success! :happydance:

What were those Aussies doing? You can't just go around getting the job done, expanding the org and being relatively successful!

Three cheers for Matt!

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi scio not cultist.

Thank you for your write up. I was in mystery as to what happened on Matt Henderson's mission after Oteeate's disclosure on Yager's handling of him. It is sad that so many were, at the time, hurt by that mission. Those who blew as it turned our, were very lucky, but it must have been horrific for those who stayed a weathered the insanity.

BTW I think you will find that the third C/S was Joan Treasure/Brownlee not Genny Gray, unless of course Joan had already gone uplines.

Regards, David.

Carmel

Crusader
Hi David,

You're welcome. Yes it was tough for all I think, including Matt Henderson who obviously had much pressure and demand on his lines at the time, from who knows.

I knew who Joan Treasure was, but I didn't know she was a C/S. She must have left early on. The C/Ses I knew of were Jan Hill/Mullane, yourself, Genny Gray and Carmel Underwood. You, Genny, and Jan all left in a fairly short space of time. By the time Matt Henderson came and started doing his thing, the only C/S in Syd Day was Carmel, and there was Lyn Greenslade on Fdn.

Regards

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
Sydney 82 - 83

That time in 82 - 83 in Sydney was pretty damned tough. No one knew who had been PDH'ed or even if you had been yourself! People were suspicious of eachother - you even couldn't trust your spouse. I remember Div 4 having a Court of Ethics because our WHAHs were so low and Ethel McKay, Tech Sec said to me, 'just plead guilty to everything, and you'll be fine'. I was the only person trained to C/S at the time so they couldn't remove me, so pleading guilty just let them know that I agreed with the tech - that our WDAHs were low 'because we were actively suppressing the stats'. Other people who didn't plead guilty (to actively suppressing the stats) were given ethics trips or expelled.

Feral

Rogue male
That time in 82 - 83 in Sydney was pretty damned tough. No one knew who had been PDH'ed or even if you had been yourself! People were suspicious of eachother - you even couldn't trust your spouse. I remember Div 4 having a Court of Ethics because our WHAHs were so low and Ethel McKay, Tech Sec said to me, 'just plead guilty to everything, and you'll be fine'. I was the only person trained to C/S at the time so they couldn't remove me, so pleading guilty just let them know that I agreed with the tech - that our WDAHs were low 'because we were actively suppressing the stats'. Other people who didn't plead guilty (to actively suppressing the stats) were given ethics trips or expelled.

Wow, you guys really got a hiding, but what do you mean PDHed? You don't mean ......real PDH?

Minuet #1 in G

Patron with Honors
I was in Sydney doing the decks program after the GO disband just before the AO opened. In fact us GO guys did a lot of painting and decorating the third floor. The nice bits are what we did, the rushed fairly ordinary stuff is what the RPF guys did. Granted they painted about three times as much as us in about half the time...
Im pretty sure I ran into Henderson. I was busted for something or other and sent to CLO for handling. They threatened to declare me. There was some woman who scared me more than the guy. A dark haired really nasty bitch she was. She was CMO, dont know whether she was 2 ic to Henderson. I was encouraged to hand over money I got from the sale of a property which was gifted from my parents for a book package for some guy in Perth who couldnt pay. About 3500 which was a fair swag in those days. He never paid it back and I never got any books.
On the GO decks program there were two CMO guys handling the mission, who were pretty reasonable people. One was quite a young guy. Dont remember the names. Remember calling this young dude Mr so and so. He was about 16 I guess.
I got some auditing from Peter Sparshot during that trip towards the end which was v good. Pete was GO at that time. He and Maureen got declared I think for I dont know what.
I remember visiting Sydney in those days and noting how big the org was.
Adelaide was quite small, but we grew quickly during that period of the early 80s. Then after the GO bust and those missions lots of staff went to Flag. Ade, which was not always a shoebox dwindled away from about 60 odd staff down to 30 - 20 then less.
Life in the org got to be really aweful. Ade ED was Sue Simes after the great purge. Sue was a nice lady but was under a lot of pressure. They did totally screw up what was a working scene at that time. Declared a lot of the good staff for spurious reasons.

OHTEEATE

Matt

I appreciate all the wirte ups and fill ins of data, and I don't dispute any of it. More data: the Mission OPs for that mission was Guillome Lesevre. Matt was of course on the telex/phone every day, doing what he was ordered to do, in the required face rip valence. It's so unnatural for anyone, especially people from my family. Matt later was CO CMO EUS, then busted off the post for out 2D, then to Int./Gold as a steward, then construction purchaser, where he was seriously injured in a fall off a tall ladder in the Garage. His knee was shattered. A year later, he blew after 15 years in the SO. I helped shield him from the mission sent to find and recover him, which included his wife, Cindy. He tried to communicate to me how weird it was, including mail screening, but I guess that doesn't sink in unless it happens to YOU. I later gained my own reality of the weirdness, and it did not take me 15 years to cognite and blow. It took 4 months. Matt, like anybody who has been through that grinder, has his points both good and bad. I can accept there are Aussies who will never forgive him. He is not forgiving me at the moment. What a stupid game.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I appreciate all the wirte ups and fill ins of data, and I don't dispute any of it. More data: the Mission OPs for that mission was Guillome Lesevre. Matt was of course on the telex/phone every day, doing what he was ordered to do, in the required face rip valence. It's so unnatural for anyone, especially people from my family. Matt later was CO CMO EUS, then busted off the post for out 2D, then to Int./Gold as a steward, then construction purchaser, where he was seriously injured in a fall off a tall ladder in the Garage. His knee was shattered. A year later, he blew after 15 years in the SO. I helped shield him from the mission sent to find and recover him, which included his wife, Cindy. He tried to communicate to me how weird it was, including mail screening, but I guess that doesn't sink in unless it happens to YOU. I later gained my own reality of the weirdness, and it did not take me 15 years to cognite and blow. It took 4 months. Matt, like anybody who has been through that grinder, has his points both good and bad. I can accept there are Aussies who will never forgive him. He is not forgiving me at the moment. What a stupid game.

Mike, let me get this straight. You own brother spends 15 years in the SO, gets royally f**ked over by the CoS, blows, you protect him from the mission sent to recover him, and because you have now left the church, he won’t forgive you. Doesn’t he even want to know why you left?

Dear God. I hope he sees sense and gets out soon.

Oh, and while I’m here – thank you. Your’s and Donna’s stories were some of the most important ones in convincing me that things were seriously wrong in the CoS.

Axiom142

sue simes

I was in Sydney doing the decks program after the GO disband just before the AO opened. In fact us GO guys did a lot of painting and decorating the third floor. The nice bits are what we did, the rushed fairly ordinary stuff is what the RPF guys did. Granted they painted about three times as much as us in about half the time...
Im pretty sure I ran into Henderson. I was busted for something or other and sent to CLO for handling. They threatened to declare me. There was some woman who scared me more than the guy. A dark haired really nasty bitch she was. She was CMO, dont know whether she was 2 ic to Henderson. I was encouraged to hand over money I got from the sale of a property which was gifted from my parents for a book package for some guy in Perth who couldnt pay. About 3500 which was a fair swag in those days. He never paid it back and I never got any books.
On the GO decks program there were two CMO guys handling the mission, who were pretty reasonable people. One was quite a young guy. Dont remember the names. Remember calling this young dude Mr so and so. He was about 16 I guess.
I got some auditing from Peter Sparshot during that trip towards the end which was v good. Pete was GO at that time. He and Maureen got declared I think for I dont know what.
I remember visiting Sydney in those days and noting how big the org was.
Adelaide was quite small, but we grew quickly during that period of the early 80s. Then after the GO bust and those missions lots of staff went to Flag. Ade, which was not always a shoebox dwindled away from about 60 odd staff down to 30 - 20 then less.
Life in the org got to be really aweful. Ade ED was Sue Simes after the great purge. Sue was a nice lady but was under a lot of pressure. They did totally screw up what was a working scene at that time. Declared a lot of the good staff for spurious reasons.

I remember Sue Simes... she was lovely...