What's new

What happens to your body when you don't get enough sleep

tesseract

Patron with Horrors

Considering the conditions of Scientology staff, particularly Sea Org, this might be a juicy theme for a thread. And food for thought for some lurkers, Scientologist or not. :yes:
Found the article as recommended reading ad below another Scientology related article someone recently posted.
I've attached the infographic too in case the article is taken down and so that not every IP from here gets collected. If you'd like to save the picture, please use the above link because their version is less compressed and easier to read.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LackOfSleepinfographic2a.jpg
    LackOfSleepinfographic2a.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 294

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
More on the health effects of sleep deprivation

Web MD

More detailed article from National Institutes of Health

And then there's the degree to which staff and Sea Org members are subjected to chronic, long-term stress

Chronic stress and cancer risk

Impact of stress on cancer metastasis

Also, keep in mind that chronic stress combined with chronic sleep deprivation can have a combined impact greater than either might have alone.

People on Solo NOTs are also subjected to long-term stress, from the constant regging, and worries about how to get together the money for the next six-month-checkup

Tanchi

Patron with Honors
More on the health effects of sleep deprivation

Web MD

More detailed article from National Institutes of Health

And then there's the degree to which staff and Sea Org members are subjected to chronic, long-term stress

Chronic stress and cancer risk

Impact of stress on cancer metastasis

Also, keep in mind that chronic stress combined with chronic sleep deprivation can have a combined impact greater than either might have alone.

People on Solo NOTs are also subjected to long-term stress, from the constant regging, and worries about how to get together the money for the next six-month-checkup
This is bumpworthy info, imo. Ty

Tanchi

Patron with Honors
I was never in COS, but I worked deep night shift for 15 years. Weekends, then flipped my sleep by Tue to pick up extra 1st and 2nd shifts at other places during the week. So..I had no routine sleep, meals, etc. I accomplished my financial goals, but now have health problems as a result of sleep deprivation. One is fibromyalgia. My doctor told me there are new studies that link nightworkers and fibro.

Whattodo

Patron with Honors
I've got a terrible body click pattern but just can't seem to snap out of it! Can't switch off or take myself to bed early

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow

Considering the conditions of Scientology staff, particularly Sea Org...
Accidents. That's what happens.

On one of the church renos projects one of our pro carpenters, a public Scientologist, cut his thumb off with a circular saw. As you can imagine, we were all suffering sleep deprivation.

Fortunately, some quick thinking renos guys put his severed thumb back in place, bandaged it, and rushed him to the hospital. The docs were able to surgically reattach his thumb and save it.

He told me later that he'd lost over half of his mobility in that thumb, and that the assists the church was giving him weren't helping at all. I was shocked to hear a Scientologist say such a thing at the time, but in my mind I quietly agreed with him. They'd never done me any good, either.