What's new

Posting to ESMB

M

Moderator 2

Posting to ESMB

As there is often in excess of 500 posts per day on ESMB, it is important to post in the correct categories so that posts can be easily found.

Please take a moment before creating a new thread to check if the subject is already being discussed, then add to that thread rather than starting a new one. Also checking that threads are in the most relevant category, for example Picketing or Videos, rather than General Discussion, would be appreciated. :)

This will lighten the load for moderators, thankyou!

Gib

Crusader
Posting to ESMB

As there is often in excess of 500 posts per day on ESMB, it is important to post in the correct categories so that posts can be easily found.

Please take a moment before creating a new thread to check if the subject is already being discussed, then add to that thread rather than starting a new one. Also checking that threads are in the most relevant category, for example Picketing or Videos, rather than General Discussion, would be appreciated. :)

This will lighten the load for moderators, thankyou!

I agree.

There are so many new treads being developed daily from people wishing to express their experiences, which I totally agree with that they express themselves for in the COS one could not.

But, the added so many new treads takes away from the great old treads that expressed real insight. And as a result, those old treads die away making them harder to find.

for example, CIC could post the Mike Rinder blog all under one tread, the Tony O under one tread, etc. Just an idea. I love it that CIC does what CIC does.

Last edited:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
It would be nice if there were a more comprehensive way to assess thread value. They are searchable by Replies or Views but these can be influenced by the age of the thread as much as it's relevance or value.

A summary listing of total thread Likes, LOLs, Disagrees, WTFs, etc. might help.

What would be excellent would be a 1 - 10 rating for things like Analysis, Humor, History, etc. by accumulated post rating or by thread rating.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I agree.

There are so many new treads being developed daily from people wishing to express their experiences, which I totally agree with that they express themselves for in the COS one could not.

But, the added so many new treads takes away from the great old treads that expressed real insight. And as a result, those old treads die away making them harder to find.

for example, CIC could post the Mike Rinder blog all under one tread, the Tony O under one tread, etc. Just an idea. I love it that CIC does what CIC does.

A note from the Spelling Nazi (me)....

Sorry Gib, don't mean to pick on you. I'm only noting this since the word was spelled wrong five times above.

Tread = what is on your tires
Thread = A string of sequential messages grouped by subject/title on a Message Board.

Used in a sentence "People would rather start new threads than take the time to look up old threads to read and add to."

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
A note from the Spelling Nazi (me)....

Sorry Gib, don't mean to pick on you. I'm only noting this since the word was spelled wrong five times above.

Tread = what is on your tires
Thread = A string of sequential messages grouped by subject/title on a Message Board.

Used in a sentence "People would rather start new threads than take the time to look up old threads to read and add to."

I can take of him if you want. it'd be professional.

A Question! Yes, something I don't know! Now that Google made it difficult to copy and post pictures - I have been going to Duck Duck go, butttt their selection is limited.

So! Other than telling me to forget it, what sage advice do you have on copying and pasting pictures from Google can you give moi?

Merci,

Mimsey

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
A Question! Yes, something I don't know! Now that Google made it difficult to copy and post pictures - I have been going to Duck Duck go, butttt their selection is limited.

So! Other than telling me to forget it, what sage advice do you have on copying and pasting pictures from Google can you give moi?

Merci,

Mimsey
How I do it:

1) Right-click the picture you want to copy;

2) Click "Copy image address";

3) Paste into your post using "Paste" or Ctrl-V.

The picture should appear in your post. If it doesn't, right-click the picture again and use "Search google for image" and see if you can find another copy of the same picture. Repeat steps 1-3 above on the new copy of the picture.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/j1gAAOSwmZFZoc2H/s-l300.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FANTASTIC-CAST-BRONZE-MARBLE-BOOKEND-DEATH-AS-THE-THINKER-RODIN-HOMAGE-20TH-C-/253117006192&docid=hROFI_2v1mkq9M&tbnid=mmAJYkPu3qAPTM:&vet=10ahUKEwiBla3jzeDeAhXSITQIHTCAC_oQMwiRASgZMBk..i&w=300&h=300&bih=783&biw=1331&q=the thinker&ved=0ahUKEwiBla3jzeDeAhXSITQIHTCAC_oQMwiRASgZMBk&iact=mrc&uact=8

Nope.
imgres
imgres

Last edited:
8bc98c98-ac66-11e4-9daf-d2eba87d0973.jpg

This isn't the same statue as above - I got it from Bing which I did by copying the link which is what I do with Duck Duck Go, and I used to do before Google started doing this: 300 × 300Images may be subject to copyright. Learn More

I am on Win 10, yahoo, maybe that has something to do with it?

Mimsey

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
8bc98c98-ac66-11e4-9daf-d2eba87d0973.jpg

This isn't the same statue as above - I got it from Bing which I did by copying the link which is what I do with Duck Duck Go, and I used to do before Google started doing this: 300 × 300Images may be subject to copyright. Learn More

I am on Win 10, yahoo, maybe that has something to do with it?

Mimsey
s-l300.jpg

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
How I do it:
3) Paste into your post using "Paste" or Ctrl-V.

The picture should appear in your post. If it doesn't, right-click the picture again and use "Search google for image" and see if you can find another copy of the same picture. Repeat steps 1-3 above on the new copy of the picture.
Almost perfect. One more step will make it work better. . .

Try it this way:

3) Paste into your post using "Paste" or Ctrl-V. Click on the ICON below "Font family" and to the right of "X2". Yup, that one, the one that says ""Insert edit Image". The icon looks like THIS. In the box labeled "Insert Image URL" you can now "paste" the info you saved in step #1.​
4) Now click "INSERT"
Voila! Unless the cyber Gods are punishing you for bad internet karma, the photo will instantly pop into view in your post.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Going to that URL, if you right-click and select "view image", you get to
the real, non-google URL of the image. Select THAT, and paste here, and the image appears here:
s-l300.jpg

Oooops, good point, I assumed that they were already "IN" the actual image (not the Google "preview" of it).

It doesn't seem that long ago all of us as ESMB posters were sending in our posts/photos to Emma using FAX MACHINES and thermal paper. LOL. At that time, I also backed up my docs to the ISC (IBM Selectric Cloud) by making triplicate copies with carbon paper. That was very cumbersome and time consuming since it was before tech geniuses had invented "white-out".

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Anything you can see on your monitor can be saved as a screen capture and included in a post. You can even take a screen capture of a paused video. You may need to crop it and there will be some generation loss.

JackStraw

Oooops, good point, I assumed that they were already "IN" the actual image (not the Google "preview" of it).

It doesn't seem that long ago all of us as ESMB posters were sending in our posts/photos to Emma using FAX MACHINES and thermal paper. LOL. At that time, I also backed up my docs to the ISC (IBM Selectric Cloud) by making triplicate copies with carbon paper. That was very cumbersome and time consuming since it was before tech geniuses had invented "white-out".
Hoaxie, I think you're dating youself!

Jack

pineapple

Almost perfect. One more step will make it work better. . .

Try it this way:

3) Paste into your post using "Paste" or Ctrl-V. Click on the ICON below "Font family" and to the right of "X2". Yup, that one, the one that says ""Insert edit Image". The icon looks like THIS. In the box labeled "Insert Image URL" you can now "paste" the info you saved in step #1.​
4) Now click "INSERT"
Voila! Unless the cyber Gods are punishing you for bad internet karma, the photo will instantly pop into view in your post.
Cool. I never thought of doing it that way. It works. On the other hand, my method of simply typing Ctrl-V also works, and saves a couple steps. Using the URL Mimsey provided:

s-l300.jpg

I'm on a Chromebook.