What's new

Mike Rinder answers questions about the new ‘Aftermath Foundation’

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Underground Bunker

Mike Rinder answers questions about the new ‘Aftermath Foundation’

Last week, former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder announced the formation of a new foundation set up to help out people as they leave the Church of Scientology. He tells us the response was almost overwhelming.

Tonight, some of the people who appeared in Leah Remini’s Scientology and the Aftermath series will be celebrating [...]

[.......]

Continue reading...

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
I contacted the Aftermath Foundation a week ago with a request for help. So far it has been an unpleasant experience. Not sure what to think.

I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Has anyone else reached out to them for help?

I will let you know the final outcome.

Bruce

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
On Friday, March 16, 2018 7:18 AM, Aaron Smith-Levin <[email protected]> wrote:

< Email redacted - no permission from sender > (Emma)

Sincerely,
Aaron Smith-Levin

Last edited by a moderator:

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
My original request for help.

>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Bruce MacKenzie. I was in Scientology from 1975 to 2000.
>>
>> 1976 - 1983: Portland Mission Staff
>> 1983 - 1986: Leave of Absence
>> 1986 - 1987: Worked on Special Project at OSA US/Int (non-SO)
>> 1987 - 19??: WISE LA/Int (non-SO)
>> 19?? - 1995: LA Day Staff
>> 1995 - 2000: FSM
>> 2001: Declared a "Source of Trouble Type B"
>>
>> I married a girl from Hamburg Germany. She has never been involved. Her life has been effected by the various Fair Game Ops run on me and my family for 17 years.
>>
>> Her family in Germany was contacted by someone and told her they had to "disconnect" from her. No one in her family has ever been involved in Scientology. This was over 10 years ago.
>>
>> I need help finding her parents in Germany. Other than me and our children she has no one.
>>
>> I am 64 and not in good health. I need help finding her family.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Bruce MacKenzie

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
Aaron,
What are you fishing for?
Your questions don't add up.
I have been fair gamed now for 17 years. In early 2002 I moved into a duplex with $450 and a handshake with the promise of the other $1050. Within a couple of months my landlord has a talk with me about Scientology. He tells me some Scientologist have contacted him and he wanted to know what I think about Scientology.
This man is an elderly devout dedicated Mormon. He lives in a rural location 50 miles from the nearest Scientologist in Portland Oregon. This is the org where Gwen Mayfield Barnard has been running fair game ops as the GO/OSA rep since the late 1970's or early 1980's. I know Gwen personally I used to work with her. Google her. Ask Mark Bunker about her or see his interview with her. Do I need to say more.
I contacted Mark a few months ago and he was much more friendly and helpful and didn't interrogate me or accuse me of anything. He also answered me in a few hours instead of a week.
I could go on and on about the number of times someone anonymously has called DHS (Oregon Child Protective Services). Why should I bother explaining myself to you? I made a very simple request for some contact information. How is it your business to interrogate me. Your the one offering help and some how I am now a guilty criminal. Your Scientology OSA training is showing through.
As some people have said on the net enough is enough.
Sincerely,
Bruce MacKenzie

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
Aaron,
Thank you.
My wife's parents were never in Scientology. My wife was never in Scientology.
In 2001 I briefly moved to Ohio to get help from my family after leaving Scientology.
A few weeks later my sister or mother was contact by "someone". My sister and mother had the local deputy sheriff take me, my pregnant wife, my 5 and 7 year old step kids and 6 month old son to a motel 50 miles away. None of my family has had any involvement with Scientology. Everyone in my family was upset with me because of my involvement in Scientology. They were very happy I was out until the phone call.
Sometime after this my wife's mother told her she had to "disconnect" from her. This was out of nowhere and totally unexplained.
My wife is from Hamburg Germany. Her name is Katja Koston. Her mother's name is Hilke Schäfer. Her father's name is Guido Schäfer. Her parents do not live together. Both were living in the Hamburg area. Katja also has and uncle named Reinhard Schäfer. He owns or owned a landscaping business in Hamburg.
I emailed Michael Laws with this data. I had hopes that he could forward my request for help to Ursula Caberta.
Again, thank you,
Bruce MacKenzie

Per Aaron Smith-Levine

"My attempts to clarify the parts of your story that do not make sense have been met with hostility and insults.
For these reasons, the Foundation will not be able to get involved in this matter at this time."

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Per Aaron Smith-Levine

"My attempts to clarify the parts of your story that do not make sense have been met with hostility and insults.
For these reasons, the Foundation will not be able to get involved in this matter at this time."
Bruce, sorry you've had to deal with the Fair Game actions from OSA. Perhaps others in the community can help you with your request.

That said, based upon the information you've provided I completely understand why Aaron would seek to clarify parts of your story to ensure your request aligns with the purpose of the Aftermath Foundation before expending resources of the Foundation.

People who donate to the foundation expect their donations to be used for the stated purpose of the foundation. And he is responsible to ensure that that happens.

And your responding with hostility and insults towards those you're requesting help from isn't going motivate someone to help; that's for sure.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I guess I am not worthy enough for help.
Certainly you're worthy of help and If you request it I'm sure some in the community will attempt to help you. But the Aftermath Foundation has a specific purpose and based upon the information you provided it doesn't seem (to me) that its a matter that falls within the purpose they were created for.

Here is the purpose of the Aftermath Foundation (taken directly from their website):

The Aftermath Foundation exists to help those who want to leave Scientology and the Sea Organization,
but lack a system of support they can rely on while getting on their feet in the outside world.

Former Sea Org members tend to be industrious workers but many have no employment history nor family outside of Scientology. Further, many have no formal education, bank account, driver’s license or credit history.

The challenges one encounters when leaving Scientology and the Sea Org are many. The Aftermath Foundation is devoted to providing resources, support, and advocacy to those who leave so they can gain their independence and make their way in the world. The Aftermath Foundation is also dedicated to raising public awareness of the abusive practices of the Church of Scientology.

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
This describes me for the last 17 years. No support group constant harassment. Communication lines constantly cut. DHS at my door, fired for no cause, evicted for no cause, audited by the IRS when I support a family of 8 on less that 50k a year and told I owe over $10,000. I could go on and on.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
It seems to me that the purpose of the Aftermath Foundation is to help people who are currently in the Sea Org and want to leave. If the foundation was going to help everyone who has left scientology in the last 17 years and has struggled, they'd need a helluva lot of money/volunteers/resources. That just wouldn't be possible.

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
It doesn't cost any money to forward an email. Aaron has already spent a lot more time than it would have taken to simply forward and acknowledge my communication. Something Mark Bunker did without any interrogation or even knowing if I was who I said I was. He simply help me and I appreciate him very much for that.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It doesn't cost any money to forward an email. Aaron has already spent a lot more time than it would have taken to simply forward and acknowledge my communication. Something Mark Bunker did without any interrogation or even knowing if I was who I said I was. He simply help me and I appreciate him very much for that.
It's really not that simple as you make it out to be.

For Aaron to track down some people down and provide you with their location or contact information would be pretty irresponsible if he didn't first verify that you are who you say you are.

MacKenzie

Patron with Honors
He never once tried to verify my identity. I would have email him a picture of my state id if he had asked.

It was always a fishing trip. My logic may be lacking but I am not that stupid.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
This describes me for the last 17 years. No support group constant harassment. Communication lines constantly cut. DHS at my door, fired for no cause, evicted for no cause, audited by the IRS when I support a family of 8 on less that 50k a year and told I owe over $10,000. I could go on and on.
Well, yes. But none of that is what you appear to be asking for help with. You want the Aftermath Foundation's help with something completely outside of their defined scope. Sure, you need help. But it would be deadly for the Aftermath Foundation to attempt to just help everyone with every problem -- No one can do that.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's really not that simple as you make it out to be.

For Aaron to track down some people down and provide you with their location or contact information would be pretty irresponsible if he didn't first verify that you are who you say you are.
All true, but the main point is that isn't the purpose of the foundation. It has no resources for "tracking down people", especially non-Scientologists. The help MacKenzie is demanding is nothing the foundation provides, or should provide.