What's new

Professional Word Clearer?

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
What really stunned me was how so many of us must have managed to convince ourselves that we had understood (ie "had certainty") when studying those shonky books (esp DMSMH) ... and how was it that when the cofs realised the books were a mess (and that they had been that way for years) they didn't want to know how/why we did that? Did that not make an instant mockery of the study tek and word clearing tek?
I had to word clear "shonky."

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I hope the following question will contribute to the OP, rather than derail it, but:

I'm curious as to who got anything positive out of study tech, and specifically word clearing.

For me, this is the one piece of Scientology that I continually used from the get-go (and still use, though not as fanatically as the study tech would have you do - I don't feel the need to look up all 38 definitions of a word, if I look it up in a dictionary, and never applied it as fanatically and pedantically as the materials required). It was probably the thing that made me decide that Scientology worked. Because I did experience the yawning and tiredness and blankness if I read something without looking up the MUs, and I also saw it in other people. Does anyone else think that the phenomena of an MU are real? Imagined? Or some other reason for it?

For me, it couldn't be explained by saying stuff like "people often feel bored when they read something, and they yawn as a result". I occasionally brightened up suddenly when finding MUs, but more often it was just that the yawning stopped, and I felt OK about reading whatever I was reading, after looking up the words. I then didn't feel like I was sinking into a mess while reading. Hubbard said that the brightening up occurs when you SPOT the MU (not when you look up its meaning). My experience was more like one just generally felt brighter on the subject if you LOOKED UP the words (and didn't get bogged).

I was always curious about the mechanism involved. I supposed at the time that it had something to do with it restimulating the words in implants, which would then make your memory blank and restimulate the unconsciousness of the implant. But Hubbard never really explained WHY the MU phenomena would be as they were.

Anyway, that's one area of Scientology that I always found useful. It's also, fortunately, an area that doesn't require you to get involved in the organisation, if you can get the study tech elsewhere. Demo'ing things with a demo kit, on the other hand, I found to be a little ridiculous. It turned into a ritual that one did to prevent the course supervisor from pestering you, and to generate student points.

ETA: Of course, it was also one of the pieces of tech that Hubbard took from some of his followers and put his own name to, if what I have read elsewhere is correct. I knew of some people in the 80s who did the Primary Rundown (look up EVERY word in the Student Hat course, in alphabetical order), and heard from a third party that it drove them almost nuts. Even if word clearing tech is valid, I can't imagine that looking words up in that way would be beneficial. There's nothing like CONTEXT to help a word to make sense, and to enter your vocabulary. Making up artificial sentences is no substitute for that, in my opinion.
The Primary Rundown seemed to have all but disappeared by the early 90s.
I never used a demo kit as I studied but I very much liked the study tech for star-rated materials, and here the demo kit was a pretty good thing. The whole thing of star-rating was a wonderful way to teach a subject and I was there when super-literacy came out and I thought at the time it was a terrible mistake to end star-rating which generated so much communication (and camaraderie and esprit) between students

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
The big thing LRH did with "Study Tech", was to insert the assumption that the student was to "have certainty" that the Scientology material being covered was absolutely correct, and that if the student thought it made no sense, then it was the STUDENT who was at fault, rather than there being any possibility of the material being unclear or erroneous.

Yes, exactly!

Never defend. Always attack!

In fact, the holiest scripture in Scientology ("KSW") mandates attacking anyone who doubts Dr. Hubbard's infallible pronouncements. . .

From HCO POLICY LETTER "Keeping Scientology Working":
Here’s an actual example in which a senior executive had to interfere because of a pc spin: A Case Supervisor told Instructor A to have Auditor B run Process X on Preclear C. Auditor B afterwards told Instructor A that “It didn’t work.” Instructor A was weak on Three above and didn’t really believe in Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten. So Instructor A told the Case Supervisor “Process X didn’t work on Preclear C.” Now this strikes directly at each of One to Six above in Preclear C, Auditor B, Instructor A andthe Case Supervisor. It opens the door to the introduction of “new technology” and to failure.
What happened here? Instructor A didn’t jump down Auditor B’s throat, that’s all that happened. This is what he should have done: Grabbed the auditor’s report and looked it over. When a higher executive on this case did so, she found what the Case Supervisor and the rest missed: that Process X increased Preclear C’s TA to 25 TA divisions for the session but that near session end, Auditor B Qed-and-Aed with a cognition and abandoned Process X while it still gave high TA and went off running one of Auditor B’s own manufacture which nearly spun Preclear C. Auditor B’s IQ on examination turned out to be about 75. Instructor A was found to have huge ideas of how you must never invalidate anyone, even a lunatic. The Case Supervisor was found to be “too busy with admin to have any time for actual cases.”

All right, there’s an all too typical example. The Instructor should have done Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten. This would have begun this way. Auditor B: “That Process X didn’t work.” Instructor A: “What exactly did you do wrong?” Instant attack. “Where’s your auditor’s report for the session? Good. Look here, you were getting a lot of TA when you stopped Process X. What did you do?” Then the pc wouldn’t have come close to a spin and all four of these would have retained their certainty.

That is Hubbard's default solution to creating a world without insanity, criminality and war.

That is the essential core value in Hubbard's "tech".

Attacking everyone who refuses to be enslaved by submitting to your avaricious, sociopathic & sadistic demands.

Have I mentioned recently that L. Ron Hubbard was the most evil and vicious SP in the history of Scientology? Meanwhile, Scientologists sit in course-rooms, hooked up to their IV kool-Aid drip, right next to the wall photo of LRH.......as they study the SP detection tech and clay demo the 100% accurate way to spot an SP.

.lol

Last edited:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I never used a demo kit as I studied but I very much liked the study tech for star-rated materials, and here the demo kit was a pretty good thing. The whole thing of star-rating was a wonderful way to teach a subject and I was there when super-literacy came out and I thought at the time it was a terrible mistake to end star-rating which generated so much communication (and camaraderie and esprit) between students

Seriously Birdie? Any communication, camaraderie and esprit that you believe you observed was almost certainly FALSE!

I'm pretty sure that for most normal people, once the initial novelty of being in a cult courseroom wears off (about 4 seconds) reality sinks in and the main aim is to become "super literate" (lol!) ASAP so they will be able to study ALONE, get through whatever stunningly boring course they are on and get the hell out the door (after battling the course completion routing form of course ... but that's a whole story in itself).

People quickly learn that there's no need for any star-rate checkouts at all once you are "super lit" ... you can even breathe properly on occasion without being pounced on by the vicious looking, beady eyed supervisor when you are "super lit" (I tried not to breathe though, just in case a yawn slipped out because even as a "super lit" yawning just shouldn't happen ... ever!).

I suspect we all used to fiddle with our demo kits every so often after making a point of looking slightly confused, it was the only way to take a short break ... I remember it well, fiddle fiddle fiddle ... stare into space (intelligently) for a few seconds ... a bit more fannying about with your demo kit and then allow your face to clear, as if by magic ... smile benignly, perhaps glance warmly at the ever present picture of tubs (a bit of extra drama never hurts) and carry on wading through it.

I could have won academy awards for my performances Birdie and I bet I was not alone!

Cult course rooms are oppressive places, people lose the will to live while trapped in them, the aim is to get through the course while pretending to be fascinated and blissed out ... even the supervisor just wants COMPLETIONS and will loosen the noose when he sniffs one is close.

The best way to guarantee that you will be "assisted" to complete a course is on a Wednesday evening or a Thursday morning, you may even get a genuine smile out of the super if you suddenly speed up and play the true game.

Stats.

High stats means you're safe for another week ... and that's all they mean.

HelluvaHoax!

Which course-room are you talking about ?
Scientology course rooms?

Try one, you can get huge wins just by standing with the other scholars and applauding the photo of a fat man in a funky nautical costume. LOL

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology course rooms?

Try one, you can get huge wins just by standing with the other scholars and applauding the photo of a fat man in a funky nautical costume. LOL
Yes, but you were talking about:
..... Scientologists sit in course-rooms,.....
That means more than one. So can you tell me a Scientology course room which doesn't look like this:

bc2e41035ecde07661b16f361d0bd2da.jpg

HelluvaHoax!

Yes, but you were talking about:

That means more than one. So can you tell me a Scientology course room which doesn't look like this:

bc2e41035ecde07661b16f361d0bd2da.jpg
LOL!

Everyone appears to have by-passed a misunderstood word and blown.

Such a shame, all those standard dictionaries and boxes of standard clay were right there and could've prevented that non-standard tragedy!