What's new

Hubbard's Imaginary Science vs. Real Science

Hubbard had some crazy notions about science, such as the Piltdown man, his Helatrobus implants in which radioactive Magellanic clouds swooping down the arms of the milky way galaxy and engulfing planets in their path, that contained talking space probes that gave out engramic commands (perhaps they were telepathic commands, since we all know, from Ellen Ripley, no one can hear you scream in space), trains on Venus, implant stations on Mars, exteriorizing into the Van Allen belt, and the temperature therein, the problems of enjoying Coca Cola when exterior, an OT ripping the air cover off earth, and giving the planet a spin, resulting in the frozen Mammoths that he claimed the explorers club ate (or was it that they are the frozen tropical veggies in their (the Mammoths') mouths?)

That if you drank oil during the purif, it would replace the tainted fats in your body, disregarding the fact no such mechanism exists in the body, and that most people eat some fat or oil on a daily basis, which makes one wonder why the purif oil was so special in it's curative ability, and more that I can't recall at the moment. Oh! He defined zero.

Now, maybe he liked his ideas better than reality, maybe in those years, the science was spottier than ours now, or maybe, he didn't much care if his understanding and writings were accurate or not. He was the one who said his physics class was good for napping, if I recall correctly. He flunked it as well, and his book All About Radiation was full of errors.

In college he got a D in chemistry, a D in physics 12, (electricity and magnetism) an E in physics 13, (dynamics, sound and light) and a F in Physics ( Modern Physical Phenomena,Molecular and atomic physics), all hallmarks of a deep understanding of the subjects therein.

https://tonyortega.org/2015/02/24/n...l-ron-hubbard-flunked-out-of-high-school-too/

So! What shall we do? Below is a new video on the structure of our galaxy, which will, hopefully, cast out any false ideas you may have picked up from Hubbard on the subject, such as those talking Magellanic Clouds speeding hither and yon at what must be tremendous velocity to cross the fifty thousand light years that is our puny galaxy's radius, in only a few thousand years, if I recall his statement accurately, from when I did the BC in the 70's.

You'll have a nice chuckle in the early section of the video - as I remind you Hubbard, in one of his congress lectures, told of a person who could look up into the sky and tell you which star was closer, simply by looking at them.

The video by the American Museum of Natural History is based on the Gaia Satellite data released by The European Space Agency's massive data release, and shows the relative motions of thousands of nearby stars in our neighborhood, the near by brown dwarfs, and it shows the Keppler Satellite data on nearby stars that have exo planets. It is truly amazing.

Enjoy.

Mimsey

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/data-release-2

Last edited:
The sun, the planets and where we are in the galaxy:

This link is to a fantastic game called Universe Sandbox by steam. You can crash planets into planets, stars, and all sorts of solar system mechanics, and it is based on real gravitational mathematics, you can create planets etc. Quite fun.

http://universesandbox.com/

Ever wonder what would happen if a brown Dwarf entered our solar system?

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
The sun, the planets and where we are in the galaxy:

I think most of us know this.

This link is to a fantastic game called Universe Sandbox by steam. You can crash planets into planets, stars, and all sorts of solar system mechanics, and it is based on real gravitational mathematics, you can create planets etc. Quite fun.

Yes, if you're nine years old!

Ever wonder what would happen if a brown Dwarf entered our solar system?

No.
What is this, a game of 'let's see how many videos that practically nobody will watch' I can post in one day?

One day you're pooh-poohing science and scientists in general, and the next you're bemoaning the fact that many are not interested in it. That's what's amazing!
No - I pooh-pooh the rigidity of science and it's unwillingness to investigate alternative concepts, and see what, if anything of value is there.

The whole climate science is but one example - they, the man is driving climate change crowd, refuse to look at any thing to the contrary, decline to look at ice core drillings data that shows wild variations of climate has been the rule on our planet, and this current warm spell is unlikely to last, that we will go back to a colder clime.

Were they to be willing to investigate they might find their positions untenable, or they may find the evidence to the contrary to their positions in error, and help with the correction of it. But no - they refuse to countenance it.

It happens all to frequently. What I like about this is that they are investigating with the new data and finding a better understanding of our universe. Quite the opposite of the obstructionist view I dislike.

Mmsey

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
No - I pooh-pooh the rigidity of science and it's unwillingness to investigate alternative concepts, and see what, if anything of value is there.

The whole climate science is but one example - they, the man is driving climate change crowd, refuse to look at any thing to the contrary, decline to look at ice core drillings data that shows wild variations of climate has been the rule on our planet, and this current warm spell is unlikely to last, that we will go back to a colder clime.

Were they to be willing to investigate they might find their positions untenable, or they may find the evidence to the contrary to their positions in error, and help with the correction of it. But no - they refuse to countenance it.

It happens all to frequently. What I like about this is that they are investigating with the new data and finding a better understanding of our universe. Quite the opposite of the obstructionist view I dislike.

Mmsey
Scientists construct a model that best mirrors the observed data. When somebody constructs a more accurate model that more closely resembles what is observed, then the old model is discarded. For example, Newton's law of universal gravitation was good for over four hundred years until Einstein's model was found to more accurately describe gravity. That's how science works.

Last edited:

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientists construct a model that best mirrors the observed data. When somebody constructs a more accurate model that more closely resembles what is observed, then the old model is discarded. For example, Newton's law of universal gravitation was good for over four hundred years until Einstein's model was found to more accurately describe gravity. That's how science works.
If only Americans understood that.

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors
What you're describing is not science, it's quackery. Like Pitldown Man, N-Rays, tragedy of the commons, what have you. Quacks do not change their positions based on new evidence, or seek out new evidence. The changes in the climate throughout the ages of the Earth, and the mass extinctions that they led to, are well understood. We are currently in the middle of a mass extinction called the Holocene extinction. The climate most definitely will go back to an ice age at some point (unless we get to the point of a runaway greenhouse effect, in which case Earth will become a new Venus and that's all she wrote), but humans probably will be dead long before that happens.