What's new

My new approach to mail (I think it worked!)

Steven

My name is Chris, and I was a Scientologist
I've been out for nearly 6 months now, but was still getting a ton of Scientology mail until about a month ago.

At first, I kept a Sharpie by my front door and, as soon as I grabbed the mail, I'd write "Rejected: Return to Sender" on every piece of Scn mail and send it back. It seemed like the flow of mail slowed a bit, but it may have been a coincidence. Eventually, the mail carrier circled the "Nonprofit" designation on the mail piece and indicated I couldn't "Return to Sender."

Damn.

My next step was to start pulling prepaid envelopes from Scn mailings, filling them with Scn junk mail and sending them back. But still, the flow of mail didn't stop.

One day, I got a letter from someone at the IAS (if memory serves). On a whim, I flipped their letter over, wrote a letter of my own on the back, and sent it in. There was something supremely cathartic about the experience, and I decided shortly thereafter that I was going to respond to EVERY piece of mail I received from Scientology, even on days I receive 5+. I may have started with only pieces that had return postage included, but I quickly determined to handwrite a letter in response to everything, including postcards, using my own postage.

What a healing experience it's been!

My first letters were light... they may not have forced a declare, but I determined to escalate my response with each mailing. I am always kind by normal human standards, although by Scn standards, I'm sure I'm being monumentally suppressive.

My favorite go-to line in the letters is something like this: "Scientology was like running on a hamster wheel. You feel like you're making forward progress, and everyone else running on the wheel tells you you're making progress, but in reality, you're going nowhere. The good news is that you can step off the wheel at any time without routing out, and there's a big, beautiful world out there to explore!"

At times, I write things like: "You can't purchase real freedom, and no one is going to hold your hand and tell you the exact steps to it, but despite the challenge, you can find peace out here." But my favorite line of all time was: "You might want to declare me and get this over with. One of these days someone who's doubting Scientology is going to get one of these letters!" I was pretty damn annoyed that day!

I probably should have snapped a picture of the letters, as each is unique and handwritten, but I haven't done so.

I'm pretty sure they've declared me by now. The IAS, the local org, and most other orgs have stopped sending me mail, although Bridge appears to be a final holdout. I suppose it takes a bit for all the mailing lists to be updated. My last letter went out a couple days ago in response to a Christmas card signed by Kelyn Hubbard (any relation to LRH?). I should have made a copy. It was mostly a three page parable, likening the freedom Scientology offers to the freedom of being locked in a prison. Sure, you have "Total Freedom" within the constraints of the prison walls, but there's a nearly infinite world out there to explore. The freedom available to us out in the world isn't easy to come by--there's no one to hold our hand and lead us--but if we persist, real spiritual progress is possible, and NO ONE can take it away from us.

I doubt my letters will make a difference, but I'm writing them for myself anyway. You never know. Maybe one will plant a seed that'll sprout when someone has had enough.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
The IAS, the local org, and most other orgs have stopped sending me mail, although Bridge appears to be a final holdout.

My guess is that Bridge has a different data base than the service orgs. I would guess you've been taken off the "Central addresso" list.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of our regulars from years ago would tape the business reply envelope onto bricks and send them back. When Scientology goes to the postal service to pick up their mail, they have to pay postage by weight. Of course, that's where the bricks come in.

Keep up the good work!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Good stuff! I wish I still got mail from them so I could have an opportunity to reply. :D

Another think people can do is to send back cards from the Aftermath Foundation in their business reply envelopes. That foundation exists to help people leave Scientology, and helps those in need of it.
http://theaftermathfoundation.org/

Here's a photo of one of their cards, front and back. They've got a variety of them, all of which are great:

aftermath.png

Steven

Good stuff! I wish I still got mail from them so I could have an opportunity to reply. :D

Another think people can do is to send back cards from the Aftermath Foundation in their business reply envelopes. That foundation exists to help people leave Scientology, and helps those in need of it.

Here's a photo of one of their cards, front and back. They've got a variety of them, all of which are great:

View attachment 14843
Thanks! I often include the phone number for the Foundation in my letters. I’ll print some cards for sure.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Thanks! I often include the phone number for the Foundation in my letters. I’ll print some cards for sure.
Back when I was on staff at Boston Org (during the 1980's) there was a period when I was working in HCO and I was the first one receiving mail from the postman.

Per policy, I would open every piece of mail and route it accordingly. If it had money in it I would send it directly to Treasury, no matter who it was addressed to. If it had something like someone being highly critical or threatening of the CoS it would go to the Ethics Officer or OSA.

If you send something like a card from the Aftermath Foundation it probably will get routed to OSA but before it does it could have an impact on that first person in HCO, whomever opens the mail, especially if they're already having doubts.

I would recommend sending at least two cards if you do that. This way the person receiving it can keep one and send the other to OSA. :D

Steven

View attachment 14843
I’m pretty sure I won’t be getting mail anymore, but I’m enjoying my letter-writing campaign so much that I may seek out staff members to write to.

Good job, Steven! Sounds like your mind is in a good place when you realize it's a beautiful world to explore, and not the vile cesspool that needs to be "cleared" at all costs.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
One of our regulars from years ago would tape the business reply envelope onto bricks and send them back. When Scientology goes to the postal service to pick up their mail, they have to pay postage by weight. Of course, that's where the bricks come in.

Keep up the good work!
Post office policy, when bricks and such are attached to envelopes, is to toss it
https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/ps-086.htm

When heavy items such as bricks, 2 x 4s, etc., are found in the mails with a BRM card or envelope pasted, stapled, or taped on them as an address label, the pieces should be treated as are other nonmailable items found loose in the mails. If the sender cannot be identified, the matter should be disposed of as waste. If the misused BRM card or envelope is affixed as an address label to a sealed parcel or container, the piece should be treated as dead mail. Please note that these procedures should be followed when a BRM card or a BRM envelope is attached to such heavy items. It is obvious in such cases that the piece is being used in a manner other than that intended by the distributor.
Filling the envelope with random paper would not trigger this action, and would cost them money.

Or just send the BRM back with the phone number of ex-Scn groups written on the envelope.

Steven

Aha! The slippery slope on the way to becoming a troll! :biggrin:

I always take “troll” to mean someone who takes a position or does something primarily to cause cause controversy. My letters speak only the truth as I see it!

Regarding bricks and other heavy items. I’ve considered taping pennies to paper. I’m pretty sure that’d get through. Now that’s trolling!

Also, just a quick explanation about my name and picture. I was initially anonymous. My name is Chris, not Steven but don’t see a way to change that. I have nothing to lose at this point, so I posted my real picture and welcome OSA to do their worst.

phenomanon

Canyon
I've been out for nearly 6 months now, but was still getting a ton of Scientology mail until about a month ago.

At first, I kept a Sharpie by my front door and, as soon as I grabbed the mail, I'd write "Rejected: Return to Sender" on every piece of Scn mail and send it back. It seemed like the flow of mail slowed a bit, but it may have been a coincidence. Eventually, the mail carrier circled the "Nonprofit" designation on the mail piece and indicated I couldn't "Return to Sender."

Damn.

My next step was to start pulling prepaid envelopes from Scn mailings, filling them with Scn junk mail and sending them back. But still, the flow of mail didn't stop.

One day, I got a letter from someone at the IAS (if memory serves). On a whim, I flipped their letter over, wrote a letter of my own on the back, and sent it in. There was something supremely cathartic about the experience, and I decided shortly thereafter that I was going to respond to EVERY piece of mail I received from Scientology, even on days I receive 5+. I may have started with only pieces that had return postage included, but I quickly determined to handwrite a letter in response to everything, including postcards, using my own postage.

What a healing experience it's been!

My first letters were light... they may not have forced a declare, but I determined to escalate my response with each mailing. I am always kind by normal human standards, although by Scn standards, I'm sure I'm being monumentally suppressive.

My favorite go-to line in the letters is something like this: "Scientology was like running on a hamster wheel. You feel like you're making forward progress, and everyone else running on the wheel tells you you're making progress, but in reality, you're going nowhere. The good news is that you can step off the wheel at any time without routing out, and there's a big, beautiful world out there to explore!"

At times, I write things like: "You can't purchase real freedom, and no one is going to hold your hand and tell you the exact steps to it, but despite the challenge, you can find peace out here." But my favorite line of all time was: "You might want to declare me and get this over with. One of these days someone who's doubting Scientology is going to get one of these letters!" I was pretty damn annoyed that day!

I probably should have snapped a picture of the letters, as each is unique and handwritten, but I haven't done so.

I'm pretty sure they've declared me by now. The IAS, the local org, and most other orgs have stopped sending me mail, although Bridge appears to be a final holdout. I suppose it takes a bit for all the mailing lists to be updated. My last letter went out a couple days ago in response to a Christmas card signed by Kelyn Hubbard (any relation to LRH?). I should have made a copy. It was mostly a three page parable, likening the freedom Scientology offers to the freedom of being locked in a prison. Sure, you have "Total Freedom" within the constraints of the prison walls, but there's a nearly infinite world out there to explore. The freedom available to us out in the world isn't easy to come by--there's no one to hold our hand and lead us--but if we persist, real spiritual progress is possible, and NO ONE can take it away from us.

I doubt my letters will make a difference, but I'm writing them for myself anyway. You never know. Maybe one will plant a seed that'll sprout when someone has had enough.
Good job.
We all fight back as we feel we can.
We who are outside Hubworld are free to do that.
Ain't it cool?

phenomanon

Canyon
I always take “troll” to mean someone who takes a position or does something primarily to cause cause controversy. My letters speak only the truth as I see it!

Regarding bricks and other heavy items. I’ve considered taping pennies to paper. I’m pretty sure that’d get through. Now that’s trolling!

Also, just a quick explanation about my name and picture. I was initially anonymous. My name is Chris, not Steven but don’t see a way to change that. I have nothing to lose at this point, so I posted my real picture and welcome OSA to do their worst.
You have come to the right place, whatever your name is.
If you could say anything you want to, what would you say?:zombi:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Sorry Chris, just trying to make a joke, but anything you do to harass the CofS in any way gets my approval. No, I don't think you can change your nic.

I'd post a picture of myself too except I wouldn't want to frighten anyone's children.

WhatWall

Silver Meritorious Patron
Back when I was on staff at Boston Org (during the 1980's) there was a period when I was working in HCO and I was the first one receiving mail from the postman.

Per policy, I would open every piece of mail and route it accordingly. If it had money in it I would send it directly to Treasury, no matter who it was addressed to. If it had something like someone being highly critical or threatening of the CoS it would go to the Ethics Officer or OSA.

If you send something like a card from the Aftermath Foundation it probably will get routed to OSA but before it does it could have an impact on that first person in HCO, whomever opens the mail, especially if they're already having doubts.

I would recommend sending at least two cards if you do that. This way the person receiving it can keep one and send the other to OSA. :D
(emphasis mine)

Very good point, especially in light of the fact that, in my experience, HCO chews up people. I've never seen anyone survive as HAS for more than a year. That was in the Sea Org. Don't know how it was in the non-SO orgs, although the last non-SO HCO I saw only had a HAS and that person was bewildered (green Scientologist) by his/her duties.

WhatWall

Silver Meritorious Patron
Bill, you're right. What I should have said: Once an individual resigns and withdraws their consent to be governed by church rules, the church no longer has any rights to punish them. (Of course no church is allowed to administer punishments that are illegal.)