What's new

For school, I'm writing a report on Scientology & need help

ChristinaG

As part of my assignment/report, I'm required to interview someone who belonged to Scientology. The questions I have are:
1) How did you first become associated with Scientology?
2) Was it ever forced upon you to disconnect from someone? Has someone disconnected from you?
3) What was your role as a Scientologist? Were you an auditor? A Sea Org Member?
4) What OT Level did you get to up until your leave? How much time was spent to get to that level?
5) At what point did you decide to leave? Were you declared an SP? Were you given a Freeloaders Bill?
6) Did you reach the point of OT III, where you were revealed the story of Xenu? Did you believe it?
7) When you applied Scientology's doctrines to your everyday personal life, did you notice any improvements? Did their philosophy work?
8) Any other thoughts about your experience that you'd like teens to know about?

JustSheila

Crusader
Hi ChristinaG!

These are a lot of personal and detailed questions. Is it possible you could provide more information about your assignment/report first?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
9) If you were Sea Org staff did you ever have an enforced abortion?
10) If you were a staff member in any Scientology organization how many hours did you work per week?
11) If you were a staff member in any Scientology organization how much money were you paid per week?
12) If you were Sea Org staff were you ever transported to another country and then had to give up your visa to them? (human trafficking)
13) How long were you involved in Scientology as public? (and Age range)
14) How long were you involved in Scientology as staff? (and Age range)
15) If you ever went Clear during auditing what was your Clear cognition?
16) If, during auditing, you ever thought that you were a famous person in a past life what is the name of that famous person?
17) If you were ever assigned a "lower ethics condition" what happened after that?
18) If you ever left Scientology and then went back Why did you go back to it?
19) When you were in Scientology were you required to install "babysitter" software on your computer that would block access to particular websites?

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
As part of my assignment/report, I'm required to interview someone who belonged to Scientology. The questions I have are:
2) Was it ever forced upon you to disconnect from someone? Has someone disconnected from you?
3) What was your role as a Scientologist? Were you an auditor? A Sea Org Member?
4) What OT Level did you get to up until your leave? How much time was spent to get to that level?
5) At what point did you decide to leave? Were you declared an SP? Were you given a Freeloaders Bill?
6) Did you reach the point of OT III, where you were revealed the story of Xenu? Did you believe it?
7) When you applied Scientology's doctrines to your everyday personal life, did you notice any improvements? Did their philosophy work?
8) Any other thoughts about your experience that you'd like teens to know about?
there is actually survey done already with lots of people who have left scientology, I can't find the website now thanks to googles new search engine which sucks,

maybe somebody else here can find it.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Christina,

I've posted all this before on ESMB over the years, so it doesn't feel particularly intrusive. Especially after hundreds of hours of sec checks etc.

1. I did a £5 communication course in London in 1972.

2. In 2004 I told my best friend (I was in Los Angeles and he had recently moved to England) that I had been receiving auditing (counselling) outside the CofS. He was uncomfortable with this and later told me he wouldn't be able to talk to me again as he wanted to stay in good standing with the cult. Later in 2004 I got declared SP, and my Scn landlord paid me $1000 to move out (his other tenants were temporarily living elsewhere in case they became infected).

3. In the Sea Org from 1972 to 1996, doing admin jobs for half the time and a course supervisor for the last half.

4. I did up to New OT IV. I did all the Scn services as a Sea Org member. I got through OT III around 1980 (after maybe 500 hours of Dianetics and Grades auditing) , and New OT IV around 1992 (note that the entirety of New OT IV took about 5 hours of auditing).

5. I routed out of the Sea Org in 1996 after getting fed up with the personal injustices. I did get a freeloader bill (£150,000?). I only got declared in 2004 after posting on the internet under my own name.

6. Yes. I kinda believed it, in that it was too uncomfortable to follow the thought through that it was ridiculous. For several years afterwards I supervised others, public and staff, on Solo - OT III. Whatever they thought privately, only two or three told me they didn't believe it. My comment to those who looked doubtful was follow the instructions and see if "it works", by which was meant did the meter reads and indicators appear as stated. Years later, not at the time, I realized that just because the practical "worked", it didn't mean the theory was accurate.

7. Partly yes, partly no. Not black and white.

8. Stay away from Scn, both inside the CofS and outside! There are some good bits, but a newbie won't know enough to cherry-pick them out.

Paul

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
1) Took a leaflet being handed out in the town centre where I lived for the Dianetics book. Ordered the book, after sending me it the local Scientology church phoned me and asked me to come in and have a personality test, which I did. Then signed up, with some fairly hard-sell sales from the person who dealt with me, for my first Scientology course (a communication course).
2) I was not forced to disconnect. After I was declared an SP every Scientologist I knew disconnected from me by default. One of them specifically told me he wouldn't be allowed to speak to me again.
3) I was an auditor, but not a Sea Org member.
4) N/A: I did not do OT levels in the church, but I did do them after I left, independently.
5) I decided to leave when I realised that the organisation was mostly interested in money, and not really all that interested in the members' welfare. One trigger was the international "The War is Over" event in ?1992 or ?1993 that was shown at every org. I attended my local org's event, and thought "what the fuck has this got to do with spiritual freedom?" The whole event was about tax exemption granted by the US IRS. I don't even live in the US. So I just thought, "where's the focus on spirituality?"
6) Not reached whilst inside the church. I did believe it when I read it.
7) Some things I noticed worked; other things seemed, on reflection, useless. Overall, I would say that the general life-tools given by Scientology are somewhat useful, but there is some bullshit mixed in there.
8) Getting 'hooked' on Scientology can occur very quickly, and the organisation is set up to capitalise on this to the max, once you have become hooked. In the beginning, most people joining Scientology feel they are deriving benefits from it. It's only a bit later, when the money side and extreme pressure to increase your commitment kick in, that the negative side of the organisation starts to become apparent.

ChristinaG

Thank you everyone for responding. I'm in 10th grade and my teacher told me to find a thread to interview someone and I have to as part of my report.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Thank you everyone for responding. I'm in 10th grade and my teacher told me to find a thread to interview someone and I have to as part of my report.
You're in the 10th grade? Your profile says you are 47 years old. Boy, you're a slow learner aincha?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hi Christina,

Thank-you for doing a report on Scientology!

With regards to question #8, here is one thing I'd like to let teens know about. :yes:

Our schools tend not to properly educate people properly about cults, and so don't help students recognize one when they see one or protect themselves from getting sucked into one. Some people think only stupid or ignorant people would ever get involved with a cult, but some cult experts have said that those recruited into a cult tend to be of above average intelligence, and from my perspective, being heavily involved with Scientology for 10 years, that IS true.

I would recommend reading this book which helps not just along that line, but also at recognizing and defending against other destructive relationships as well.
https://freedomofmind.com/book/freedom-of-mind/

Freedom-of-Mind-Book-Cover-1-400x603.jpg

ChristinaG

Hi Christina,

With regards to question #8, here is one thing I'd like to let teens know about. :yes:

Our schools tend not to properly educate people properly about cults, and so don't help students recognize one when they see one or protect themselves from getting sucked into one. Some people think only stupid or ignorant people would ever get involved with a cult, but some cult experts have said that those recruited into a cult tend to be of above average intelligence, and from my perspective, being heavily involved with Scientology for 10 years, that IS true.

I would recommend reading this book which helps not just along that line, but also at recognizing and defending against other destructive relationships as well.

View attachment 15193
thank you!
Hi Christina,

I've posted all this before on ESMB over the years, so it doesn't feel particularly intrusive. Especially after hundreds of hours of sec checks etc.

1. I did a £5 communication course in London in 1972.

2. In 2004 I told my best friend (I was in Los Angeles and he had recently moved to England) that I had been receiving auditing (counselling) outside the CofS. He was uncomfortable with this and later told me he wouldn't be able to talk to me again as he wanted to stay in good standing with the cult. Later in 2004 I got declared SP, and my Scn landlord paid me $1000 to move out (his other tenants were temporarily living elsewhere in case they became infected).

3. In the Sea Org from 1972 to 1996, doing admin jobs for half the time and a course supervisor for the last half.

4. I did up to New OT IV. I did all the Scn services as a Sea Org member. I got through OT III around 1980 (after maybe 500 hours of Dianetics and Grades auditing) , and New OT IV around 1992 (note that the entirety of New OT IV took about 5 hours of auditing).

5. I routed out of the Sea Org in 1996 after getting fed up with the personal injustices. I did get a freeloader bill (£150,000?). I only got declared in 2004 after posting on the internet under my own name.

6. Yes. I kinda believed it, in that it was too uncomfortable to follow the thought through that it was ridiculous. For several years afterwards I supervised others, public and staff, on Solo - OT III. Whatever they thought privately, only two or three told me they didn't believe it. My comment to those who looked doubtful was follow the instructions and see if "it works", by which was meant did the meter reads and indicators appear as stated. Years later, not at the time, I realized that just because the practical "worked", it didn't mean the theory was accurate.

7. Partly yes, partly no. Not black and white.

8. Stay away from Scn, both inside the CofS and outside! There are some good bits, but a newbie won't know enough to cherry-pick them out.

Paul

ChristinaG

Hi Christina,

View attachment 15193
thank you!